Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

koshmar posted:

So I just got my Prime and I'm enjoying it so far. Can anyone who has gotten a Prime case recommend one. Also what games/emulators are you running. I've been working to get Baldurs Gate 2 up and running with Gemrb. I was wondering if there were any market games worth my time.

You should definitely check out the Android game thread as there are definitely some market games worth checking out. The current obsession over there is Dungeon Raid, won't show of the tab let's horse power but it will turn your poops into hour long affairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Gyshall posted:

How is the Nook Color as a rooted tablet? I'm most interested in reading comics/Kindle books, as well as playing some games and so on. I looked at the Kindle Fire but I wasn't happy with the size of the screen.

I love mine like nobodies business but don't they have the same screen size? They run really well and while they have a couple of issues it's nothing o would consider a deal breaker. I haven't even experienced SOD since I got rid of Beautiful Widgets.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

nickhimself posted:

So... is this thread specifically for android tablets or are those of us with windows based tablets allowed in here as well?

You're allowed in here sure, we'll just mock you relentlessly.

We have to make ourselves feel better somehow :(

(I know there has been talk of an Android specific tablet thread so I assume this is the result of those talks. I'm not really sure where that leaves the WebOS and Windows peeps though.)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I would send that poo poo back so fast it would make their head spin.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Christ, seems like every time I drop in on this thread there is an iPad circle jerk going on. Why can't they stay in their own thread again? I can't remember.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

He's just trying to save you from having to do mad homework, yo.

Aw well shucks. I sure appreciate it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
God drat it annoys some people that others use their poo poo for different things.

"I use flash regularly on my mobile device."

"Well you're wrong and stupid and shouldn't do that." :smug:

Edit: I miss seeing that the thread had a lot of new posts and having those posts be about actual Android tablets and other cool stuff :(

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Ok, so, any discussion involving android tablets in the android thread must:

1) Mention ipads since they are "current #1 market leader" or whatever that one guy was saying in his complaint post.
1a) Not be allowed to mention any negatives of the ipad when comparing them to android tablets.

Noted.

Why do ipad users come to the android tablet thread again? Other then to shitpost?

We don't care about your ipad, how hard is this to grasp folks. Jesus-tapdancing-christ.

They're just making sure that any misguided soul that wanders into the Android Tablet Megathread knows that all Android tablets are hacked together turds and to just buy an iPad instead. It's a public service they're doing.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

With all the talk of buying tablets to hack them up, I could see how someone might think that!

No one who actually reads the thread thinks that...

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I don't really care about any of that, I don't care about the iPad, I don't care about what it can and can't do. If I did, I would go into the iPad thread to talk about it. I think we should be able to talk about Android tablets, even compare Android features to iOS features on occasion, with out having the thread get locked every time.

It's great you love your iPad/iOS/Apple, we don't give a poo poo.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Ciabatta posted:

It really feels like PS3 vs. Xbox trolling/thread making GBS threads. I'm not sure why it's ok here and not there. Surely the PS3 thread can use some more posts about how amazing Xbox Live is?

It's so good.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Agh, Amazon lightening deal was a Galaxy Tab 8.9 for 399. I decided to buy it like two seconds to late :(

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Wait, how exactly is that a good deal? An original TF is $400 - are you in love with the smaller form factor or something?

Yea I was looking at that, I really do just like that size. Though now that I have the OK I might just order one of those.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

I spotted this guy taking photos of his daughter's xmas recital. I thought he looked like a huge idiot.

Yea he totally does.

"Hey hey look at me hey hey I have a tablet look at me hey hey.":smug:

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Or you could not be a giant tool. That's a thought too.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

got dat wmd posted:

The little thing for the iPhone that comes with a fisheye and macro lens is pretty great, though. It just snaps on the side. Things like that don't really seem to exist for Androids because they all seem to mostly center-mount the camera. Manufacturers should take a hint and position the camera in a corner so there could be little accessories like that.

Those rule. There is a macro lens for Android phones that's on a big rubber band that looks really cool and there is also some crazy 360° camera lens thing coming out for the Nexus. Those are like the only two and one is relatively new and one isn't even out yet.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

NINbuntu 64 posted:

The macro one is great. I thought the Nexus 360 degree lens already came out though? I seem to recall them getting their startup money on Kickstarter forever and a day ago.

I really want to pick up the macro lens. They may have, I thought I saw something with them at CES but sometimes I dream things. Either way its not nearly as simple or portable as the macro lens and it doesn't seem like I would carry it around.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
My Nook Color no longer satisfies my tablet needs. I am having to try really hard to not order a used Tegra 2 tablet off of eBay to hold me over until the 7 inch Asus comes out.

Must...resist...urge.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Viewsonic Viewpad 10s is $235 today on Tiger Direct via eBay. There are at least a couple HC ROMs for this and maybe some ICS work in the pipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ViewSonic-10%22-WiFi-Internet-Tablet/320840004836

I was just looking at eBay for a used tablet, just spend the extra 80 bucks and get a used Transformer. Those things are giant pieces if I remember.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Woot has the Toshiba Thrive 10.1 on sale today for 279. I was going to jump on it then I remembered it was a Thrive.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Well gently caress. I went ahead and ordered a Galaxy Tab 7 Plus from Amazon. It was a lightning deal and is one of my favorite tablets. I'll give it to the fiance or flip it when Asus gets around to releasing their 7 inch offering.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Vagrancy posted:

There's been a lot of speculation about one ASUS mystery product.

8 cores, 4 gigs of ram and a 4K screen.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Come on now we're not talking about the PS3!

<3

Vagrancy posted:

8 cores, but 2 of them don't work so the specs get changed to 6.

Drink this and realize those cores were never there. Who needs eight anyways??

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

is there anything out and out wrong with this deal other than the fact that you're basically eventually paying $480 over two years for a last generation tablet?

Isn't that enough?

It should be enough.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Well, my first Galaxy Tab PLUS had a big ole dead pixel in the middle of the screen so Amazon overnighted me a new one and I'm loving this thing. 7 inches is still my favorite tablet size and 3.2 ain't bad at all, if Samsung ever sees fit to upgrade it to ICS it will be even better.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
So glad we have such a ruthless and efficient iPad defense force in this thread. Gots to keep those uppity Android users in line, God forbid they enjoy the product.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

You know, this thread doesn't need to be limited to just praising android tablets. You realize you can critique them too, right?

There is a difference between critiquing them, which we do often, and a page long derail about iPad resolutions and why they are yet another reason that the iPad is better than Android. The fact that you think it would just be an Android tablet circle jerk without the routine iPad is great derail says more about you and less about the thread.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

:staredog: Im correcting the poor information that YOU brought up

O lordy, what would we do without you O keeper of the iOS information?

Surely we would be in a wasteland of misinformation awash with the bodily fluids of Android fanboys.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I think my issue stems more from the fact that every time the iPad is brought up it turns into a two page derail about the iPad, what thread its being talked about in, etc.

The dude that started this was an idiot, is it possible to move on and try to ignore the idiot? We don't have much luck ignoring the YOSPOS idiots I know but a boy can dream.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
^^^^^^
I try but I know I ain't perfect. Also haven't you heard, if we don't constantly compare Android Tablets to the iPad the thread would be boring and also a circle jerk apparently.

eric posted:

If it upsets you so much perhaps you should get out?

How do you guys get that it upsets me? I'm not the one making wall of texts posts with links defending my mobile OS of choice. Not sure how preferring the thread stay unlocked morphs into be upset/very upset.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Rastor posted:

Are we now having a derail about derails?

The best derail possible.

I'll try to get it back on track.

I've had my Tab Plus for a few days now and I'm liking it very much. My only little complaint is the screen, I kind of wish it was a slightly higher resolution. Other than that it's nice. Though going back to HC after ICS is a little of a shock, though 3.2 seems pretty dang solid so far.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
NVM Android rulezzzz

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
^^^^^^^^
Ballin

BonzoESC posted:

Doesn't 2.3 have those too? I used them on my HTC Vivid which is pretty new, and also on un-named competitor phone that's had them since 2010.

They are much more user friendly in ICS, exactly like iOS I think.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Have you seen any of the Acer A50x tablets? The resolution on my old 500 was pretty terrible but I have nothing to compare it against so I'm not sure if that's the norm or not.

600x1024

Not fantastic but adequate in my opinion. The screen is otherwise very nice. I'm not sure what the resolution was for the 500 but I think the 600x1024 was popular among small Android Tablets last year.

Edit: On the topic of folders, what the gently caress Honeycomb?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Hrm.... I don't recall anything about folder creation in HC. Is it gone or something? I had so much real estate I didn't even think about it.

Yea, not even there!

Also the the Chrome Beta feels fast, at least on my phone, like really fast.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

McLarenF1 posted:

First I just want to say thanks to the happy Prime owners that chimed in before the recent drama broke out.

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, and on a properly built product you shouldn't even have to do stuff like this, but those of you Prime owners that are having issues, you might want to check this out; a simple possible fix for wifi and gps signal is to simply squeeze the top of your device to better engage the pogo pins to the antenna inside the device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgx2Kpfi-Ps&hd=1

Bravo Asus, bravo.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Im hoping the EEE Transformer Prime TF300T and the TF700T dont have these problems

It would be amazing if they made the same mistakes over again. Amazingly hilarious.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Rohaq posted:

What the gently caress is up with people making 5 minute long videos to demo something that takes 3 seconds?

This is pretty much every unboxing video ever.

"OK, we've now measured the dimensions of the box, spent 20 minutes opening the box and now we are going to spend another ten fondling the wall charger..."

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

Pogo pins for gps, dead pixels, poor app scaling, sd cards sliding out...

Man, these sure are quality tablets.

Thanks we get it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Yes, let's sweep the endless design failures of the Prime under the rug, it's certainly not salient information for potential tablet buyers.

I know it's crazy, but maybe if you're paying $500 for a device it might be better to wait for something without so many lovely defects? Even if you're an Android fan surely waiting for the slew of Teg3 tablets coming down the pipe (and making sure they're vetted before you buy) might be a more logical path?

Oh see I wasn't aware of any problems with the Prime as we don't have snarky rear end comments like that multiple times a page. If only we had a group of idiots hell bent on letting everyone know how lovely Android tablets are, then life would be good. Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

serewit posted:

Welp, here we go again.

I won't be the one to perpetuate it this time around.

Have we heard any news on Asus's tiny tablet? I'm happy with my current tabby but that thing is just to nice (sounding). I also think I'm going to pick up a Transformer for my parents, you can get them for a ridiculous price refurbished and they seem really solid.

Question. If my parents mainly use their laptop for browsing the internet, checking email and paying bills online would a Transformer plus dock be a suitable replacement for them?