Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

IT Guy posted:

What does it mean if my wifi icon stays gray and I can't do anything? As soon as I turn off wifi and turn it back on it turns blue and I'm reconnected. This happens after the tablet sleeps for a long period.

That has to do with your tablet's connection to the Google Servers. It shouldn't keep you from doing non Google stuff though, that seems a bit odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

IT Guy posted:

It stops me from doing anything whether it be my Exchange/Active Sync email or just browsing forums with apps like Awful or XDA

That's nuts, on my phone it causes the Awful app to flip poo poo (but then again, what doesn't cause the Awful app to flip poo poo) but most other non Google services work fine. Maybe it's because its on a tablet?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

beuges posted:

Someone already beat you to it... or tried to anyways.

Behold!

We all know tablets will never take off without Windows 7 and resistive screens.

DUH

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Kirk posted:

So! I decided not to purchase the Transformer Prime for the time being and took my Xoom back from the girlfriend. However, I still need to replace it by this summer for school. Outside of the Transformer Infinity, are there any tablets that fit my needs here:

- Super high DPI screen for reading textbooks
- A source for said textbooks (I have yet to investigate what Google Books has in this regard)
- I'd like to do some gaming on this thing as it will be my only computing device, so good games are a must
- Wireless syncing with my phone - I'm picking up a new phone in a few months and I'd like for my contacts, music, video, docs, etc. to all by automatically synced
- I'm going to be doing some software development with regards to weather monitoring, so having a barometer would be pretty awesome (I know some tablets have them?)

As of right now I think it's either the Infinity or the iPad 3. Nothing else has the DPI you're looking for.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Rastor posted:

No doubt Samsung will announce something with iPad 3 -ish specs.

Hopefully, the tablets they've announced so far this year are as adorable as they are laughable.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Crow_Robot posted:

The only reason I see at this point to get an Android tablet is if you want a sub-10 inch tablet.

I was hoping Apple would announce a 7 or 8 inch tablet today, since I don't like 10 inch ones. But they didn't, so hey Asus Eee Pad Memo 370t here I come I guess.

Or you know, if you like Android.

But yea your point still stands. Hardware and price wise there is nothing out or announced that can touch the iPad 3. I want to rub myself on that screen.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Right now the best announced Android tablet is the Transformer Infinity, as long as Asus keeps the build quality at TF101 levels instead of TF201. One nice thing is it will display 1920x1080 content without any scaling or vertical black bars, solving my biggest gripe about the iPad, which is the 4:3 aspect ratio and strange resolution.

I like the Infinity but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little weary after the prime debacle. I was really surprised when we didn't see a next Gen tablet from Samsung at MWC. Though if they are going to have their own event for all their new fancy stuff I guess that makes sense. Though that would make their most recently announced tablets even more pointless.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Isn't that Samsung's deal? We'd get the Galaxy Tab 10.1 FHD and the Galaxy Note 10.1 FHD followed by more once Android's J revision comes out, plus all the other sizes. Also different versions with different SoCs for LTE and HSPA and...

By the time the J revision hits though and it actually starts finding its way onto actual hardware the iPad3 will have been beating Android tablets into the ground for like another 8 months. They can't wait that long. They need to announce their quad core super high Res tablet when they announce the SIII.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Did Samsung announce anything really new other than a re-release of the 10.1 and a 10.1 with a stylus?

Nope, really underwhelming.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
^^^^^
Yea that seems weird. Seems like it would just needlessly block out people who didn't see a need for the LTE upgrade.

Yea, I remember reading about that back when BGR first broke it. That's what they needed to announce and release at MWC. Not their lovely 10.1 rehashes.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 8, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Not motorola, google.

Both the Wifi and LTE Xoom are GEDs and get their updates directly from google. I'm guessing they don't want to maintain a separate code branch for the 3g only Xoom.

That makes sense.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ModestMuse posted:

According to Droid Life: Samsung is Unveiling Angry Birds Space Tomorrow, Not an 11.6-inch Retina Display Tablet

Oh Samsung....

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

golgo13sf posted:

:what: No it does not.

God help me I am actually agreeing with Rastor.

Yea, on third thought you're right. That's pretty loving stupid.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

hotsauce posted:

I reformatted twice before doing a clean ICS install and mine reboots at least once a day. Also when used with the keyboard dock it reboots all the time. This morning I woke to it on the dock, frozen on the Asus boot screen. It was red hot and the battery was nearly drained.

Its going on ebay tonight as I have ordered an iPad. I'm done with this thing.

That's loving ridiculous. You should have let it keep going, maybe it would have caught on fire or something and you could sue.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Asus CS in general is pretty horrible.

I bought the only Transformer Prime within 75 miles and the charging cable was defective. I called and asked if they could send me a new one (I even offered to give a deposit, it's a cable that costs them $2) and I would send the old one back. The guy said I could either send them the cable first, and get a new one mailed back to me in 2-4 weeks after a technician looked at the cable, or just buy one from their website for $20.

I was fixing to come on here and say if you like the tablet suck it up and RMA it but...

Holy gently caress that's incredible.

"Hey dipshits, when your product is defective from the factory you don't tell your customer tough poo poo."

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

$300 is almost half as much as $500 so its easier for my to justify. I'm a union electrician so I'm just laid off, not out of work. I could literally be called back to work any day now (fingers crossed). A bunch of websites say that ASUS Google Nexus tablet may be out in May/June so maybe I will just wait.

I have one and like it a lot, but nothing those people said is untrue. I basically got it because I had an itch and I'm going to hand it off to the fiance when the Asus tabby hits.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I must just be a sorry plebe because I've really enjoyed my tablet that didn't cost near 500. The experience has been pretty dang solid.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Ciabatta posted:

Again, you're simply wrong. It's OK. Many of us in this thread enjoy our <$500 tablet. If you're enjoying your iPad 2, even you are enjoying a <$500 tablet :wth: Crazy.

Seriously what the gently caress is this poo poo, the things my Linux rig are saying are patently untrue. He is giving lovely advice and basically lying to people.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

overseerbrian posted:

Check his post history. He's pretty obviously just trolling from YOSPOS.

But usually he can at least claim to be trying to give people good advice (buy an iPad lol) but at this point he is just flat out lying to people who are looking for honest advice.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

golgo13sf posted:

Everyone in here is giving that guy bad advice. The only advice he should be getting is "you cannot afford to pay attention, much less buy a tablet at any price. Save your money until you actually have expendable income"

Maybe just give him some advice on a decent tablet to buy instead if making assumptions about then telling him how to spend his money. I'm sure there is an ask/tell thread around where you can give people money advice when they actually ask for it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

dissss posted:

Yes but a tablet is not a pair of boots and is not going to last you ten years under any circumstances no matter how much you spend

The other options, especially the iPad 2, are still perfectly viable if not nearly as cool as the new iPad

Yea, I'm really not seeing how this is so hard. I am currently looking to get my parents a tablet. They have literally no need for a super high Res screen or four cores of any variety. Them spending five hundred+ dollars on a tablet would be a waste of money. They have the money, but they don't want to spend that much.

They will probably end up with an iPad 2 by the way. That or a Transformer with dock. I'm going to take them to BB and let them play with both.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Unless you want flash support, expandable storage, 16:9 AR, HDMI out, DLNA, or USB Host support for things like this.

Or the choice of different form factors and price points..

Pfft, you should know that any feature worth having in a tablet is already in the iPad. It's not like you'll use any of those features ever.

And if this thread has taught me anything its that different price points don't matter because if you can't buy a 64gig lte iPad 3 your a poor and don't deserve to have electronics.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

golgo13sf posted:

Finally you guys are talking sense ;)

I know right!! It's only taken us how many threads?!

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Spatule posted:

Netbooks are awesome if you travel for example. Light, compact, good battery life, good enough for most basic tasks, and also dirt cheap. What's not to love exactly ?

It isn't a quad core i7 with dual GPUs so why would you bother?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Motorola is no where to be seen.

Ahem.

The Xyboard would like to have a word with you...

Oh, wait, no scratch that the Xyboard is good. Carry on.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Sorry guys I wasn't clear the Xyboard was and still is a joke.

Had forgotten it came out four months ago though.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Asus support just blows my loving mind.

For context, alot of prime users are having the glass crack on their devices with no signs of impact. Just a nice big crack across the display.

That is stunning. Asus needs to get this poo poo under control for real. That's embarrassing.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

What is this "you people" poo poo?

We are inferior because we like Android and Android products. Have you seriously not gotten this vibe from every single YOSPOS idiot to stumble into this thread in hopes of enlightening us?

It's hilarious really. Though I must say the thread becomes much more enjoyable and informative when you just block all the rear end hats.

Edit: It's hilarious because who gives a poo poo what other people buy and enjoy. I know they do it because it's funny to them (oh wait, excuse me, they are just making sure that anyone reading the thread knows how poo poo Android tablets are because everyone who frequents the thread is a raging fan boy who can't find any faults in Android ever) but how sad of a person do you have to be to not only care what a random internet person buys, but care enough to poo poo on it for funsies.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

No, because I have no idea which people are from YOSPOS and which ones are just normal goons (because if I don't like it when they come here, why the hell would I go there?).

A registry of YOSPOS regulars would really help; there's gotta be a tasteless Megan's Law joke here. :bigtran:

I'm in favor of both lists and camps. That's just me though. Also maybe crimson Y (or Apple logo) on their sleeve so the general populace can know to ignore them at best and spit on them at worst.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)