Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Woebin posted:

The break from the meter really works for me, actually. I think it's pretty common to end with a shorter line like this, makes it come off more like a... twist, I guess? I don't have the right vocabulary to sound smart about this stuff, but it scans to me.

It's also used in the film's teaser trailer, and the way it's delivered (and the voice Anthony Hopkins uses) really is unsettling, so it feels like a stylistic choice to break from it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY1oeoVD_zI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Emma vs Emma

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I still don't understand why they want us to like the woman who's entire thing is "very into animal cruelty."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vince MechMahon posted:

I still don't understand why they want us to like the woman who's entire thing is "very into animal cruelty."

I didn't get from the trailer that she has any redeemable quality whatsoever. Granted I only saw the first trailer but she seems to be painted as evil.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I didn't get from the trailer that she has any redeemable quality whatsoever. Granted I only saw the first trailer but she seems to be painted as evil.

So why would I spend 2 hours (God please tell me it's not longer than 2 hours) watching a character with no redeeming qualities? Like yes, it's their joker, but in the Joker movie they had him kill rapists and start a revolution against Donald Trump and kill Ellen on TV. They changed him so the people he was killing were at least worse than him, and you had some sympathy because he was a mentally ill guy society failed. Cruella is just some rich rear end in a top hat.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vince MechMahon posted:

So why would I spend 2 hours (God please tell me it's not longer than 2 hours) watching a character with no redeeming qualities? Like yes, it's their joker, but in the Joker movie they had him kill rapists and start a revolution against Donald Trump and kill Ellen on TV. They changed him so the people he was killing were at least worse than him, and you had some sympathy because he was a mentally ill guy society failed. Cruella is just some rich rear end in a top hat.

I dont know! I have no interest in the movie at all so I can't answer any of that lol.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I dont know! I have no interest in the movie at all so I can't answer any of that lol.

I don't know if anyone does. It's totally baffling. I don't know a single person excited for it. Wait let me check with the girl I know who's most into Disney poo poo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It seems like the entire appeal is Emma Stone in the makeup. That's what they're pushing the entire movie on.

And in fairness, that's not a terrible appeal.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

The movie apparently paints her as a young nobody in the fashion business who got disrespected by the fashion boomers.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The MSJ posted:

The movie apparently paints her as a young nobody in the fashion business who got disrespected by the fashion boomers.

So where does "slaughtering puppies to make a coat" come in? Is the fashion boomer a talking dog?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vince MechMahon posted:

So where does "slaughtering puppies to make a coat" come in? Is the fashion boomer a talking dog?

It's not 101 Dalmatians from Cruella's point of view, it's a prequel. There will probably be some cheeky references to her not caring about dogs or something, but she's not going to try to kill 101 dalmatians in this movie

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

It's not 101 Dalmatians from Cruella's point of view, it's a prequel. There will probably be some cheeky references to her not caring about dogs or something, but she's not going to try to kill 101 dalmatians in this movie

They weren't her first rodeo, she had an entire closet full of it. There may have been a song. It's her one character trait and the point of a prequel of this nature should be a "how did she get there from here?" thing, so if it's never brought up it's still a massive failure and just didn't need to be the character who's only thing is killing cute baby animals.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vince MechMahon posted:

They weren't her first rodeo, she had an entire closet full of it. There may have been a song. It's her one character trait and the point of a prequel of this nature should be a "how did she get there from here?" thing, so if it's never brought up it's still a massive failure and just didn't need to be the character who's only thing is killing cute baby animals.

Vince, I think your mind has inserted this scene from the Simpsons parody of 101 Dalmatians into your memory of the actual 101 Dalmatians movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyWVaZsUQjc

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why not check in on what Pongo’s been up to?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Vince, I think your mind has inserted this scene from the Simpsons parody of 101 Dalmatians into your memory of the actual 101 Dalmatians movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyWVaZsUQjc

You're almost certainly right. But I feel like this is kind of her entire place in pop culture in 2021, though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wasn't Maleficent's singular character trait (ahead of her two movies) putting a teenager in a coma

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

Wasn't Maleficent's singular character trait (ahead of her two movies) putting a teenager in a coma

She also turned into a dragon and got murdered by a dude throwing a holy sword at her.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If it's supposed to be set in the 70s like I've heard it's probably fashion Silent Generation with her as the young boomer.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah but those movies changed it so that was all just a big misunderstanding and she was really good all along. Which from my understanding, cruella is not doing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well you see Cruella actually has a Sanctuary for rare animals and her fashion prints are all ethically Vegan and the designs she sells based on animals are actually used to fund animal rescues and... :crossarms:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FilthyImp posted:

Well you see Cruella actually has a Sanctuary for rare animals and her fashion prints are all ethically Vegan and the designs she sells based on animals are actually used to fund animal rescues and... :crossarms:

Cruella as Tiger Queen

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

It's a shame we're getting this and not Glen Close's sewer Cruella adventure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Maleficent is also a witch, which is a more fantastical and unrealistic kind of evil, whereas Cruella is just a rich woman who wanted to kill some dogs, and that's a person that can actually exist.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vince MechMahon posted:

Nightcrawler is one of the best movies ever, and that dude is the worst of all time. But I could watch 20 movies of Bloom being a slimey piece of poo poo lmao

Cruella ain’t gonna come anywhere near nightcrawler tho.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really don't understand why they are sticking with a theatrical release for this thing instead of dumping it on Disney Plus

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
money

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Nightcrawler is one of the best movies ever, and that dude is the worst of all time. But I could watch 20 movies of Bloom being a slimey piece of poo poo lmao

Cruella ain’t gonna come anywhere near nightcrawler tho.

The point of Nightcrawler is he's supposed to be a horrible monster though. It's a psychological horror movie in a lot of ways. They aren't selling lunchboxes and little kids camera toys with his face.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don't understand why they are sticking with a theatrical release for this thing instead of dumping it on Disney Plus

Its both. They're doing it and Black Widow as theatrical/Disney+ "Premium" release (aka 30 extra dollars on top of your subscription.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vince MechMahon posted:

The point of Nightcrawler is he's supposed to be a horrible monster though. It's a psychological horror movie in a lot of ways. They aren't selling lunchboxes and little kids camera toys with his face.

They should.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would buy Nightcrawler merch, that movie was incredible

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yes I want to skin these dogs and wear them as a coat and I'm tired of pretending I don't

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shoehead posted:

Yes I want to skin these dogs and wear them as a coat and I'm tired of pretending I don't

It's feminism if you want to do that. Slay (those dogs), queen.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Fox is fox
In...
The Green Knight.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

FilthyImp posted:

It turns out her plan was to skin the dogs and give them even better pelts. Don't we all look like fools!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Come And See posted:

It turns out her plan was to skin the dogs and give them even better pelts. Don't we all look like fools!

I think this was an Astroboy story.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

They should instead film the sequel novel to 101 Dalmatians, The Starlight Barking.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Come And See posted:

Remember when Totally Spies had a Cruella parody who turned people into furries so that he could skin them to make seamless fur outfits?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Remember when Totally Spies had a Cruella parody who turned people into furries so that he could skin them to make seamless fur outfits?

I don't, but I'm also not at all surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If she waited until the dogs were older she'd get a lot more fur outta them too, she's just in it for the grotesque element of killing a gently caress load of pups imo