Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, I thought it was a way of you saying "Let's get back to movie talk"

And really? Four out of eight? There was a Death Star in IV and VI, but what else?

Disclaimer: I lost interest in Star Wars real fast after I & II. I've never seen III, VII, or Rogue One.

VII & Rogue One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Improbable Lobster posted:

The only good thing about the Darksaber was that it exploded itself the first time they tried firing it. gently caress, the EU was such garbage.

I completely forgot about that, and it's pretty goddamn funny and perfect.

I remember another book where some robotics company implanted bombs in all the droids and they started exploding and killing people all over the galaxy. And now I think I may have only ever read two EU books.

Hat Thoughts posted:

VII & Rogue One

Well, that certainly explains it.

EDIT: Wait, you mean they're making another Death Star in VII? Or they just mention it?

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 23, 2017

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Pretty much Darth Vader and the Empire's #1 fanboy decided to recreate the Death Star except bigger and badder. In this case, instead of a moon sized space station, it's a planet with a huge gently caress-off laser.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

I completely forgot about that, and it's pretty goddamn funny and perfect.

I remember another book where some robotics company implanted bombs in all the droids and they started exploding and killing people all over the galaxy. And now I think I may have only ever read two EU books.

EDIT: Wait, you mean they're making another Death Star in VII? Or they just mention it?

There's a giant super weapon in The Force Awakens. It isn't called Death Star but it fulfills the same role.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GonSmithe posted:

Mondo is dropping a lovely Tyler Stout Civil War poster tomorrow so if you want to try to get a poster you can sell for 10x more than you buy it, the 10 seconds it's up before it's sold out is your chance.

Sold out instantly, lol. Someone on twitter responded to them with this: https://supercopbot.com/mondo-tees-bot/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I remember a Star Wars EU book I read back in middle school where Jabba the Hutt's cousin commissioned the designer of the original Death Star to build another one that didn't require living space, just a floating super weapon. It ended up looking like a giant lightsaber, so it was christened "Darksaber" which I think was also the name of the book.

How many EU stories were about a new Death Star or a bigger Star Destroyer?

Darksaber was one of the worst books for a long time. The dumbest part is that Crix Madine goes out like a chump.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

Darksaber was one of the worst books for a long time. The dumbest part is that Crix Madine goes out like a chump.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

They have to blow up another Death Star except this one blows up like 3 planets at a time ya

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Hat Thoughts posted:

They have to blow up another Death Star except this one blows up like 3 planets at a time ya

Including Not-Coruscant, even through it totally looks like it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So why are people telling me to watch VII?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Because they are dummies. VII is vapid and passively bad, opposed to the prequels being vivacious and actively bad. It's a more enjoyable watch than the prequels but an emptier one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

It's a decent Star Wars flick if you care about watching a decent Star Wars flick

feedmyleg posted:

Because they are dummies. VII is vapid and passively bad, opposed to the prequels being vivacious and actively bad. It's a more enjoyable watch than the prequels but an emptier one.

nah

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't even know what a "decent Star Wars flick" is anymore. But thank you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

A film that has actors with actual chemistry, good set and effects design and a plot that doesn't revolve around walking in giant corridors while discussing politics. It's practically a remake of A New Hope in some ways but I thoroughly enjoyed it. But if you don't care about Star Wars then it probably won't change your mind TBH.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

FDA labeling rules say that extruded Star Wars product may be called a decent flick if it contains less than 0.1% rat feces by volume.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A film that has actors with actual chemistry, good set and effects design and a plot that doesn't revolve around walking in giant corridors while discussing politics.

Agreed that Pope Corky should watch The Nice Guys.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sir Kodiak posted:

It has neither Stars nor Wars but The Nice Guys is loving excellent so I agree

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Bar Crow posted:

FDA labeling rules say that extruded Star Wars product may be called a decent flick if it contains less than 0.1% rat feces by volume.

I live in NYC and I'm used to the state required amount of rat feces in my food, thank you.

Sir Kodiak posted:

My spouse and I have that on our list for this weekend, actually.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sirotan posted:

Sold out instantly, lol. Someone on twitter responded to them with this: https://supercopbot.com/mondo-tees-bot/
Those Tyler Stout posters might actually be the worst kind of Mondo posters.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiqPmsBYieA

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ryan Gosling is a pretty big star.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

The Force Awakes is basically what a computer would spit out if you told it to watch all the existing Star Wars media, and downplay the things most complained about on the internet and enhance everything else.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The Force Awakes is basically what a computer would spit out if you told it to watch all the existing Star Wars media, and downplay the things most complained about on the internet and enhance everything else.

Like how in Weird Science they input all of their favourite attributes to output their ultimate jack-off material.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lobok posted:

Like how in Weird Science they input all of their favourite attributes to output their ultimate jack-off material.

This is easily my favorite TFA review.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Lobok posted:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Darth Vader has a weird dick

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lobok posted:

Would watch TFA with 80s Kelly LeBrock as Rey.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Even if you didn't see it I can't see how you wouldn't know Rogue One is about the Death Star.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Palpek posted:

I'm saying there's already a lot of Death Stars in real Star Wars so in the EU where every Mos Eisley cantina patron shown for half a second has an epic story involving a number of main Star Wars characters you can probably quadruple the number.

Also it's 4 out of 8.

Three, if we're including "bigger badder Star Destroyers" as stated; Empire introduced the Super Star Destroyer and it spent half the movie pursuing the Millennium Falcon. For sheer pedantry, you can even say that only Episode I doesn't contain a superweapon - the Death Star plans appear briefly in Episode II and the Death Star under construction shows up at the end of Ep III - but the story of the prequels doesn't focus on them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Because it's a fun movie. It's deliberately reminiscent of IV in a lot of ways, but it twists the paralleling elements enough to make it fresh regardless, and Kylo Ren is a pretty loving great villain.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Man is Michael Peña gonna be typecast as a cop for the rest of his life?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

He has a part in My Little Pony: The Movie so he's got that going for him.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Because it's a fun movie. It's deliberately reminiscent of IV in a lot of ways, but it twists the paralleling elements enough to make it fresh regardless, and Kylo Ren is a pretty loving great villain.

Also it has a black and a female protagonist and both those characters are cool and good.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I loving hate the name Snoke, though. God it sounds so stupid.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

marshmallow creep posted:

They should have gone with Darth Icky or Insanius if you ask me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

marshmallow creep posted:

I don't hate it but it sounds like old surfer/skateboarder slang. Dude, you snoked that trick! That was so snoke.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Smoke sounds like something out of Lucas' diseased prequel-era mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I won't remember Snoke in ten years, but I will always remember Captain Insano.