Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Taintrunner posted:

Disney only trusts skinny white brunette women as female leads, haven’t you seen Star Wars

Glad to see you people are finally moving on to something else after the whole "mary sue" thing failed to take and the guy who popularized it wound up being a rapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gripweed posted:

But Thor made Valkyrie King of Asgard at the end of Endgame. Why doesn't she become Thor?

Men in Black: International cratered so now neither Chris Hemsworth or Tessa Thompson get to be Thor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gripweed posted:

But Thor made Valkyrie King of Asgard at the end of Endgame. Why doesn't she become Thor?

Tess Thompson described the plot of Love and Thunder as "Now that I'm the King of Asgard, I'm looking for my Queen."

Reminder that a scene establishing that Valkyrie is gay or at least bisexual was filmed for Ragnarok but was cut from release.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

Disney only trusts skinny white brunette women as female leads, haven’t you seen Star Wars

That's one.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleeveless posted:

Glad to see you people are finally moving on to something else after the whole "mary sue" thing failed to take and the guy who popularized it wound up being a rapist.

Haha what. I'm literally talking about the lack of diversity in Disney properties and you're accusing me of being a rapist by association. Eeeyyikes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Taintrunner posted:

Not recently, I gave up on the franchise after Rogue One

Sir Kodiak posted:

Men in Black: International cratered so now neither Chris Hemsworth or Tessa Thompson get to be Thor.

That's fair

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sleeveless posted:

Equating wanting more diversity with a clearly misogynistic movement is uh pretty galaxy brained my man

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

FilthyImp posted:

Valk is her own woman. She doesn't need no hammergod to give her worth.

Yeah, I know that was an awesome recent run. Kind of concerned about Portman's general apathy towards the franchise. But maybe she'll do better with a more central role.

From what I can tell, she's the type of actor that will give a director exactly what they want, for better or worse.
Since Taika is directing, it should be kickin' rad.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The guy who created the Mary Sue term is a rapist??

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The guy who created the Mary Sue term is a rapist??

It was created by a woman in a parody story in Star Trek fanzines in the 1970s and spread amongst that subculture, so I doubt it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can be an old rapist

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can be an old rapist

Yeah but unless there's been a transition involved

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think they're referring to the wave of "Rey from Star Wars is a Mary Sue" rhetoric, which was started by Max Landis, who is deffo a rapist who's abused a lot of women.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think they're referring to the wave of "Rey from Star Wars is a Mary Sue" rhetoric, which was started by Max Landis, who is deffo a rapist who's abused a lot of women.

Max Landis didn't start it, people were criticizing the character since the movie was released. Max Landis is a rapist though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also the term Mary Sue was widespread far before Landis hit the scene.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Inzombiac posted:

Portman is a very good actor but she's never taken to action all that well.

Still excited about it.

Jane was a joyless wet blanket of a character in the first two Thor movies, but I have extreme confidence in Taika Waititi to turn that around. I also thought Thor was a boring, one-dimensional waste of time for his first 4 appearances, and then Ragnarok happened and he's pretty much my favorite.

Natalie Portman is one of the best actresses working when they actually give her something to do, so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Also, gently caress Max Landis. I'm so glad his career is over, because he was insufferable even when he wasn't infamous for rape and abuse.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Not throwing shade or nothing, just genuinely curious; what movie has Natalie Portman been great in? Off the top of my head I can only think of at best serviceable performances from her. Black Swan is a fine film but I didn't think she was particularly memorable in it. Funnily enough it was Mila Kunis' performance of all people that stuck with me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Annihilation, Black Swan, V for Vendetta, Léon were all great performances by her, despite whether or not the movies were good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Stare-Out posted:

Not throwing shade or nothing, just genuinely curious; what movie has Natalie Portman been great in? Off the top of my head I can only think of at best serviceable performances from her. Black Swan is a fine film but I didn't think she was particularly memorable in it. Funnily enough it was Mila Kunis' performance of all people that stuck with me.

I guess Garden State? Does that count, if an actor does a good performance towards a bad end?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Léon I'll absolutely give you but in each of those other ones I felt like it could've been more interesting with another actor. She's serviceable and gets the job done but I feel she's largely in the same category as Leonardo DiCaprio where they can deliver a character but not much beyond that and are helped tremendously by a solid script.

Gripweed posted:

I guess Garden State? Does that count, if an actor does a good performance towards a bad end?

Haha, I was thinking about Garden State when I was going through the movies I'd seen her in and again, she's fine in it, god bless her it's one of the films she seems to really go for it too, and granted I have somewhat of a soft spot for that movie, but even so I can't recall any Natalie Portman performance that kinda knocked me on my rear end in any way. Not that I mind that she's back in Thor or whatever, just generally wondering about her since people are talking about her.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 22, 2019

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Stare-Out posted:

This is pretty much going to boil down to taste, I think. Because I thought she was incredible in Black Swan. Also in Annihilation, V for Vendetta, even Closer (a movie that I hated but that I admit she was good in.) I haven't seen Vox Lux, but I've been told she's good in it, as well.

Of course, these are mostly subdued roles about grief or trauma or perseverance. They're not big, loud, fun roles, so that's probably the biggest obstacle to her being great in a Waititi film, where the tone is much more whimsical.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Well, he's already lost his confidence, mother, father, brother, hammer, homeland, eye, people, and waistline, about the only thing left for the next movie to strip away is his name.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Considering how many of the upcoming movies/shows are committing to multiverse shenanigans, and considering that Mjolnir only exists in an alternate timeline created in Endgame, it's most certainly gonna be a Two Thors deal rather than "our" Thor losing his mantle to Jane.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Xealot posted:

This is pretty much going to boil down to taste, I think. Because I thought she was incredible in Black Swan. Also in Annihilation, V for Vendetta, even Closer (a movie that I hated but that I admit she was good in.) I haven't seen Vox Lux, but I've been told she's good in it, as well.

Of course, these are mostly subdued roles about grief or trauma or perseverance. They're not big, loud, fun roles, so that's probably the biggest obstacle to her being great in a Waititi film, where the tone is much more whimsical.

Now that you mention it, Closer was one of the movies in which I found her performance to be pretty interesting, though I really need to rewatch it. I mean, I don't mind if a role is subdued, I just never felt like Portman brought anything particularly special into any role (aside from Léon, granted) and it was usually one of those cases where I find it particularly difficult to forget the actor and focus on the character, like with DiCaprio as I mentioned.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 22, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Xealot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A0iftflme4

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Fair.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

COOL CORN posted:

Annihilation, Black Swan, V for Vendetta, Léon were all great performances by her, despite whether or not the movies were good.

Jackie! Jackie is really good. (it also has a killer score)

Sleeveless posted:

pretend i posted a picture of Daisy Ridley, Felicity Jones and Emilia Clarke standing side-by-side here. someone in the Star Wars division at Disney clearly has a type, and that type is small brown-haired British women.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a sneaking suspicion it's Kathleen Kennedy doing a weird self-insert thing. Probably wrong, but it's the most likely answer I can come up with outside of your usual corporate focus group demographic cynicism, when Finn was the obvious choice to fill Luke's shoes after the opening of TFA.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Taintrunner posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion it's Kathleen Kennedy doing a weird self-insert thing. Probably wrong, but it's the most likely answer I can come up with outside of your usual corporate focus group demographic cynicism, when Finn was the obvious choice to fill Luke's shoes after the opening of TFA.

Or they just wanted a female lead? Does it have to be a conspiracy?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
maybe everyone who works on star wars now is a literal star wars fan and they're all competitively trying to mold star wars how they want it to be and that's loving it all up

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yeah, they wanted to remake the old Star Wars, but streamline it. So now Luke and Leia are one character.

For all the reasons I dislike or am frustrated by the new movies, Rey isn't one. I actually like her character and would probably find a male character in her place boring.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Light Gun Man posted:

maybe everyone who works on star wars now is a literal star wars fan and they're all competitively trying to mold star wars how they want it to be and that's loving it all up

Honestly, as much as I like TFA and TLJ as movies on their own, this is kinda why the trilogy as a whole feels weird. It doesn't feel like there's much of a cohesive vision going on.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

it's not even a "female lead vs male lead" thing because you can bring Solo into it as well, i just think it's funny that the most prominent female character in each of the star wars movies Disney has made are nearly identical.

like if they had made them 5-10 years ago and cast Alison Brie, Zooey Deschanel and Lizzy Caplan all in a row.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Waffleman_ posted:

Honestly, as much as I like TFA and TLJ as movies on their own, this is kinda why the trilogy as a whole feels weird. It doesn't feel like there's much of a cohesive vision going on.
There definitely isn't, and that's why they have problems as a series

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

I don’t think it’s the female lead that is being talked about, it’s that the actresses are so similar

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Actually, it's about ethics in film casting.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DC Murderverse posted:

it's not even a "female lead vs male lead" thing because you can bring Solo into it as well, i just think it's funny that the most prominent female character in each of the star wars movies Disney has made are nearly identical.

like if they had made them 5-10 years ago and cast Alison Brie, Zooey Deschanel and Lizzy Caplan all in a row.

Don't be ridiculous.

They'd had never cast Lizzy Caplan :(

Thinking about it, it probably would have been Katie Holmes or Jessica Alba.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 23, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m not sure what’s unethical about having a type, it’s more weird

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, this part is true. I have no idea what their original idea would have been, or if they had one, but once JJ was hired he tossed out Michael Arndt's script, which he had been hired to finished, and started over from scratch.

Originally when news about Rian Johnson joining came out, it said that he was going to write the next 2 scripts, then said that it was the second script and an outline for the third part, but now it looks like they tossed that idea out as well and left it up to JJ again.

I feel like they did this with the original trilogy as well, but it least it was coherent thanks to Lucas, but this new trilogy has a weird push and pull between voices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

It's precisely that, it feels like there's no single vision, and I don't mean vision in a Kevin Feige sort of way, I mean it in a George Lucas kind of way, in a 'I want to tell this story'. As someone who likes TLJ/Rogue One, I would sacrifice it and TFA and all the Disney era movies immediately to see a new era of Star Wars movies under Lucas' single editorial control.

Look, people like to poo poo on him, but it was his idea. I would rather have a lovely idea made by a person than a bland idea made by a committee. When a person makes a poo poo idea, there's thought and reason behind it, and we can see where their intentions were even if the execution didn't work out. When a committee makes a bland idea, there's nothing behind it other than 'well, we thought this would make money'.