Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

stratofarius posted:

I would rather have a lovely idea made by a person than a bland idea made by a committee.

Yeah this is 100% where I stand on prequels vs TFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

like if they had made them 5-10 years ago and cast Alison Brie, Zooey Deschanel and Lizzy Caplan all in a row.

Three persons that's not only distinctly different from each other but also has really different acting styles?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair the prequels were also kind of bland as well

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think this is technically key art, not a poster, but I'm posting it anyway

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Stare-Out posted:

Not throwing shade or nothing, just genuinely curious; what movie has Natalie Portman been great in? Off the top of my head I can only think of at best serviceable performances from her. Black Swan is a fine film but I didn't think she was particularly memorable in it. Funnily enough it was Mila Kunis' performance of all people that stuck with me.

Vox Lux.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Your Highness

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

I think this is technically key art, not a poster, but I'm posting it anyway

Good poo poo. What a shame Gundam NT is such a letdown.

I mean the thing about George Lucas is that honestly, he was nothing without Marcia Lucas saving him in editing, and having people that would shut down his dumb ideas and keeping the good ones. It was a very collaborative work and erasing their contributions in order to hold up Lucas as some sort of saint has had horrific consequences for the franchise.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

I mean the thing about George Lucas is that honestly, he was nothing without Marcia Lucas saving him in editing, and having people that would shut down his dumb ideas and keeping the good ones. It was a very collaborative work and erasing their contributions in order to hold up Lucas as some sort of saint has had horrific consequences for the franchise.

While I think there's some truth to what you're saying, I wish people didn't always have to make that point with such hyperbole. Lucas wasn't "nothing" without Marcia Lucas, he was still an incredibly talented and visionary filmmaker. Were his films often better when he worked more collaboratively? Yea ok, I can go with you on that but people seem to want to use that idea as a takedown, as if it's not true of almost every single great filmmaker. I don't think you have to detract from Lucas in order to acknowledge the contributions of people like Marcia Lucas or Lawrence Kasdan.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Taintrunner posted:

Good poo poo. What a shame Gundam NT is such a letdown.

My dude, you can't imply that the movies you don't like were hefted solely by Lucas, Atlas-like, and then turn around and say that erasing the contributions of collaborators is wrong.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Your Highness

No one was great in that movie.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Visionary auteurs are great until they aren't. See also M. Night Shyamalan. I think movies just have too many moving parts for anyone to make a career out of having full creative control of them. Well, either that or the fact that when they started out they were nobody, so they had to fight for their ideas, which probably chipped away at some of the dumber ideas. But once you become the most important guy in the room, there's no filter.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
M Night is still good, and he never fell off.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

M Night is still good, and he never fell off.

Did you ever watch avatar, btw? It’s the only one I haven’t

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Did you ever watch avatar, btw? It’s the only one I haven’t

Yeah, it's horrendous. Might be the only M Night I flat out feel repulsed by.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, it's horrendous. Might be the only M Night I flat out feel repulsed by.

That’s what I was afraid of haha. No rush then

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

The Blank Check podcast really revolutionized the way I see movies and auteurs. On any random day, I'd honestly rather watch Shyamalan's Last Airbender than any MCU movie, because even though I know Last Airbender is actually crap, it's fascinating to watch it and think 'what is Shyamalan trying to do?' You just don't get that with stuff like MCU, Disney-era Star Wars, the DC Universe post-Snyder, and most Hollywood franchises.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can ponder why he made a lovely movie on your own time, don’t need to waste your time watching it.

Though the last avatar is just the lovely version of A MCU movie so seems like a waste to me

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

stratofarius posted:

You just don't get that with stuff like MCU, Disney-era Star Wars, the DC Universe post-Snyder, and most Hollywood franchises.

Occasionally something slips through—The Last Jedi and Thor: Ragnarok at the least are exceptions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

it's not even a "female lead vs male lead" thing because you can bring Solo into it as well, i just think it's funny that the most prominent female character in each of the star wars movies Disney has made are nearly identical.

like if they had made them 5-10 years ago and cast Alison Brie, Zooey Deschanel and Lizzy Caplan all in a row.

The most prominent female character in Solo is a robot.

...voiced by a brunette british woman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is this still the movie posters thread?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

stratofarius posted:

It's precisely that, it feels like there's no single vision, and I don't mean vision in a Kevin Feige sort of way, I mean it in a George Lucas kind of way, in a 'I want to tell this story'. As someone who likes TLJ/Rogue One, I would sacrifice it and TFA and all the Disney era movies immediately to see a new era of Star Wars movies under Lucas' single editorial control.

Look, people like to poo poo on him, but it was his idea. I would rather have a lovely idea made by a person than a bland idea made by a committee. When a person makes a poo poo idea, there's thought and reason behind it, and we can see where their intentions were even if the execution didn't work out. When a committee makes a bland idea, there's nothing behind it other than 'well, we thought this would make money'.

So, I actually like all of the new movies, even Solo (which was majorly flawed and unnecessary but still enjoyable).

But I disagree, I think they do need a Kevin Feige type. Somebody to curate ideas from the old Expanded Universe along with new ideas from the Game of Thrones guys and Rian Johnston with their new trilogies.

Right now it's chaos with Kathleen Kennedy in charge. She's a businesswoman, not a filmmaker.

And George Lucas is clearly over it. He doesn't want it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Nihonniboku posted:

But I disagree, I think they do need a Kevin Feige type....

Right now it's chaos with Kathleen Kennedy in charge. She's a businesswoman, not a filmmaker.

How is Kevin Feige in any way more of a filmmaker than Kathleen Kennedy?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LesterGroans posted:

Art is stored in the balls

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
[Edit: Sorry, I legitimately forgot which thread this was]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 24, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's a Star Wars thread, y'all.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

LesterGroans posted:

I mean, what would Kathleen Kennedy know? She's only been involved in the film industry since 1981, when she started working with Spielberg.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And the series of terrible Travolta hairlines continues!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
His beard looks like Van Gogh's autoportrait but the rest of the face is just the normal lovely poster quality

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I feel bad for the poor designer who had to upscale that photo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

babby's first photoshop filter

edit: I recognize the lines around his nose actually, I'm pretty sure they used the Prizma app

kiimo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 24, 2019

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'm a big fan of the blood splatter myself.

Can't wait to see that movie though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LesterGroans posted:

I feel like you cut out the bulk of my text to make a pedantic point about word choice. I think my point was pretty clear.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

wyoming posted:

I'm a big fan of the blood splatter myself.

I like the upscaling that makes his beard hairs look like the individual strands of a floor mop

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Nihonniboku posted:

I feel like you cut out the bulk of my text to make a pedantic point about word choice. I think my point was pretty clear.

It seemed like your point was that that they needed a Kevin Feige type and not a Kathleen Kennedy type because Kennedy is a businesswoman and not a filmmaker. If that's not your point then no, I didn't think it was clear.

My question was how the hell is Feige in any way more of a filmmaker than Kennedy?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Seems like the only real difference between them is their experience as producers; Feige's lies in Marvel films in the early 00s, while Kennedy's is largely in Spielberg and Amblin films from the 80s going forward.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is this still the movie posters thread?

No, it's now Marvel/Star Wars/Disney thread number 351.

So hyped for this movie. Trusting Waititi to not make Rebel Wilson the token fat clumsy dumbass in this.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Looking forward to ScarJo finally getting to play a tree

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Movie looks kinda fun though. I'm all about that Travolta haircut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ