Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Coffee And Pie posted:

Speaking of bad DVD covers, I'm really not loving the cover for Drive that's due out soon:

Not a sign of the retro hot-pink font, Ryan Gosling's whole body appears to be animated, and for some reason they put the scorpion on the front of his jacket too. But that shouldn't stop everybody from buying and watching it, because it was excellent, and has a fantastic cast too.

edit: I'm just noticing it now because it's thumbnailed, but is it just me or is his head juust ever-so-slightly too big for his body?

Speaking of Drive, there's a couple of great Drive posters that I love (& bought):

One on the left is a take-off of the Thief poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Pickles posted:

Where did you get these? They're fantastic. Much better that the ones that amazon had, last I checked.

Signal Noise did the first one (link was posted a few posts ago)

Here's the Thief one: http://society6.com/davidallcock/DRIVE-LIKE-A-THIEF_Print#1=3

While I'm posting stuff I own, this one for Inglourious Basterds is my favorite: http://ibraheemyoussef.com/ibraheemshop/images/inglourious.jpg

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
OK, I understand your point. But why would I need the poster to tell me anything from the movie? I've seen the movie. It's on a wall in my house, and it *looks* drat cool :colbert:

As far as what it represents...it represents one of the best moments in one of the best scenes in the movie.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 22, 2012

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That looks like "Gay of the Woman" at first glance

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Never not gotten a Mondo poster I wanted, but I just whiffed on Metropolis.

I went to check out maybe 45 seconds after the tweet came, but it was still too slow :(

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The font is supposed to convey spewing oil I take it? I'm digging that TWBB poster.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Mondo poster for Vertigo:

Really disappointed I wasn't able to nab one.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Considered that TD poster, but I honestly have no clue what that poo poo even means yet. Maybe by episode 8 I'll want it.

Also if there's anyone not watching this show, you need to remedy that immediately. Not like a "oh hey this is cool" type of thing. Like a "drop everything & watch this" kind of thing.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Those True Detective posters are especially disappointing since it's such a visually stunning show.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

axleblaze posted:

This one makes me unreasonably angry though:

I dig the look of this poster, but it is the completely wrong tone. It just doesn't fit with the movie at all. That type of look would be pretty drat incredible for The Secret of NIMH though.

Love this one, but where are the squirrels?

edit: nevermind its only showing the "bad" animals

Arkane fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 11, 2014

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

axleblaze posted:

I really like this one:

Similar style to the GOAT Mondo posters:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I thought about it earlier and I think the model is sound. Yeah you're going to have to deal with a good portion of what are essentially poster scalpers, but keeping the price lower than the market does three things: keeps the posters affordable, ensures that virtually everything sells out, and keeps the Mondo "brand" strong. If they try to raise their prices too aggressively, and posters start not selling out, they jeopardize their momentum (and risk sacrificing long-term success for short-term profits). Keeping the price around $40ish-$70ish is a win/win/win for artists, Mondo, and buyers.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Predictably great. Hopefully trailer comes with Godzilla.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wonder of the bloom is starting to come off the rose for Mondo. I noticed that two of their latest posters are still available for sale over a day after they were released. Usually anything and everything they released was snapped up in seconds.

They've gone through a drought of average/terrible posters, and there's definitely not the same rush factor as there used to be because of it. I think it's all a factor of quality.

I'm thinking of picking up their Goonies poster today, which is the first one that has piqued my interest since SXSW:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vintersorg posted:

And sold out - did you get one?

Missed it by like 5 seconds or so. Wasn't too gung ho about it, so it's probably just as well.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Apropos of nothing, I am in need of an 8 million dollar loan.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Saw Mondo had a Badlands poster out, I clicked the link with excitement. But ultimately so disappointing:

Everything about them is terrible in my opinion.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm interested to see what Trank does with it, because I loved Chronicle.

from what I've heard, it's going to be even worse than the posters in this thread

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Someone should make a comic book movie thread

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
While it does have a good chance at sucking, it also feels like Pan could be really awesome in a Stardust/Princess Bride type of way. And gently caress the Tiger Lily haters.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'll pay $10 not to see that movie

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Mondo does Mad Max Fury Road

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I agree, but the hands reaching through the text is pretty darn cool on the second one.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you're interested, you may want to try and pick one up on sale day. The market for Mondo has cooled slightly over the last few years, and most posters don't sell out in seconds anymore. They still sell quick, but you don't really have to wait their rapt, endlessly hitting refresh.

They released a lot of crap posters in the last year, and I am sure people blindly bought the crap thinking they could re-sell it for a profit only to find nobody wanted them.

The great posters are still drat expensive on the secondary market, probably increasing in value even.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lizard Combatant posted:

Any word on when the Fury Road posters will be available?

Friday random time

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Got it into my cart, but that was as far as I got...missed it by 1 second I am guessing. Annoys me that there's already a dozen listings on Ebay for the poster. Many more sure to follow once the posters arrive.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Waffleman_ posted:

Four continents isn't extreme. You know what's extreme?

A billion continents.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Pawn Sacrifice poster is rad. Good stuff.

I knew the two lead actors in Walk in the Woods already, and I still thought the guy on the right was Aaron Eckhart.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Pretty cool Mondo poster. Too bad the movie was middling at best.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This Jaws poster is pretty great, from Phantom City/Mondo:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Couple of new Mondo posters for two Malick films

Wanted to like the Days of Heaven poster because I absolutely love the movie, but that is doing nothing for me. Heavy-handed and slightly cartoonish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Took me a while, but finally got my two triptychs framed and hung/ready to hang.