Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

This is the stupidest point of contention. It's a western, set in the 1800's. It's how people talked. Yes, it's not a historical drama or anything, but trying to sanitize the past isn't the way to progress.

I don't care how many times people in Tarantino films drop the N-bomb, but this is a terrible argument. People in the 1800s did not talk like they were in a Tarantino film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Ain't no drag with Jackie Brown, of course.

Probably my second favorite Tarantino film.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

victorious posted:

That lightning-ghost T-rex looks fuckin badass though

It makes me think that someone submitted just that as a drawing and someone in advertising demanded a poster with it as the center piece.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sirotan posted:

These fake movie posters that roll before the credits in 22 Jump Street are better than some of the official ones I've seen in this thread.

The full set is here, haven't found anything in better quality yet:

http://imgur.com/a/lXZGM

Bros before Hose :haw:

This is great, the sheer volume of these really makes it for me. Personal fav is
Apparently Jonah Hill will not be in that one but don't worry Seth Rogen will play his character!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Nah, it had been changed to Live Die Repeat earlier when I saw it, it's back to Edge of Tomorrow now. I think people just jumped the gun based on the packaging.

If you click the release dates link, the last title listed is the Home Video Release and it titles it as Live, Die, Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow.

Edit: Link to release dates, scroll to the bottom.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1631867/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ql_9

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MikeJF posted:

IMDB is as reliable as Wikipedia without the [source required] tags.

So is the internet in general.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Don't forget that Alice In Wonderland was the first big 3d movie to come out after Avatar. A lot of people saw it because they were expecting a similar level of spectacle and instead they got burned on a shoddy post-conversion.

I got burned by the shotty 3D so bad. Really turned me off to all 3D movies (still saw Dredd though!). I always check if a film's post converted now. I remember watching the movie and the scene with the caterpillar starts by having the shot where it closes in on the giant mushroom and it was so bad my eyes started to hurt.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shelf Adventure posted:

They should go for what the Final Destination 6 concept trailer went for and set it in ye olden days.

Fast and Furious Horseless Carriages?

Or

"Fast and Furious" - about two horses, Fast and his brother Furious.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I loving hate that they took the generic as hell subtitle and made it even more obnoxious by putting a Y instead of an I.

"It's GeniSYS! Get it?! Like System! Give me a bonus."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Madkal posted:

I agree that all charity is nothing more than narcissistic pat backing bullshit. Why do something if it only makes you feel good, right.

Except that poster isn't saying charity is narcissistic bullshit. They are saying that specific instance was, and instead of spending all that money on one kid, they could have done more for more kids.

While I think it's awesome for the kid and glad he got something really cool since he's in a terrible life position, I don't see why it's wrong for someone to point out that the scale of this wish fulfillment amounts to a giant PR move for the wish makers.

Edit:
I will note, that as a country we waste way more money on less positive bullshit, so I can't really be outraged about a charity spending its money.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Madkal posted:

It seemed that the point that was being raised was that the whole thing was a waste of time and effort because people diverted resources and made a big deal to make themselves feel superior and good. Also something about a sick kid.

edit: Massive PR could lead to more donations to make more kid's wishes come true, maybe?

If they need more donations why spend so much on one wish instead of trying to spread it out and make your PR campaign about how you're trying to reach more kids? (answer: because Batkid makes a way cooler video)

I get your point, and I don't necessarily agree that Batkid is a waste of money, just that people acting like everyone wants the kid to die because they find the use of funds to be extravagant when there's plenty of kids who could use wishes is an incorrect argument.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 16, 2015

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like this poster:

Not so much this one:

Sorry for the size couldn't find a decent larger one.

Also the new title is really bad.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The idea of an all female directed version of V/H/S* sounds pretty dope.

*I should just say horror anthology because I doubt the whole thing is found footage.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Or you get shlock like the ABC's of Death 1 & 2.

Those would be good if they weren't so bloated by the gimmick. It's a neat idea, but the execution would be so difficult to get right. Probably after ABC's 5 there will be enough quality shorts to put together a single good ABC collection.

Horror Anthology movies can be a lot of fun, and I've enjoyed this mini-resurgence in popularity.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Stop putting the number as a letter in your titles marketing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

teagone posted:

I had a chance to screen/review this movie and chat with Karl Urban over the phone about it. I couldn't commit to it though :(

Did you at least get Karl Urban's number?

May I have it?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zenintrude posted:

The problem is that they (especially 6) pretty much require you to have seen the previous 5 movies to understand any of the characters' motivations or major plot points.

Sort of? I showed my friends 5 for a movie night movie and prefaced it by saying, "Just imagine Ocean's 11 but with car junkies and superhero action pieces." The only thing that needs explained is why the cellphones are not the new modern ones (4-6 take place before 3).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Syfy show Helix has interesting posters.

This show is pretty awesome by the way. It's got some of the SyFy lovely sfx, but it's better than SyFy movie sfx by a long shot. The first season is loving nutso and the second season looks like it's going to amp up the crazy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Meatwave posted:

Coming March 17th, from The Asylum:

Did they really just combine Avengers and the show Grimm to make a knock-off movie? :psyduck:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

They've also had an all female X-Men comic going for over a year now, and despite lovely sales have kept on truckin' with the new female Captain Marvel. Not to mention Thor is now a woman. They might not be doing this level of thing with their movies (yet), but it's not like they're some regressive boys club either. Their new show stars a woman, the new Captain Marvel is going to be their first female led movie, etc. Compared to DC, both comics and film, they're basically radical feminists burning bras in the town square.

If you're referring to Agent Carter then I will take a second to recommend this show. It's an absolute blast and is the first superhero anything my fiancee and I have watched where she is super enthusiastic about watching it (she refers to most superhero media as a "guy thing"). Agent Carter is how females in superhero shows/movies should be done. She fights patriarchy and the bad guys, often times at the same time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, it's what I was talking about. And yeah, it fuckin' rules.

Fingers crossed it gets a season 2.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ariza posted:

These comic books and TV shows sure are good movie posters.

Lead by example.

Man this movie looks bad

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Meatwave posted:

From the Marvel twitter account:

Hulk looks like he's dropping a deuce. But then again, he sort of looks like that all the time.

Will see AoU on opening weekend. That poster is mad ugly, sometimes I feel like poster designers need to go back to visual design school or something.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Well it's not meant to be artificially perfect, it's meant to let people know there's another film with Iron Man, Hulk, Captain American and their friends coming out. So really, it's fine. I'd never hang it on my wall, but for hanging on a cinema wall as a giant advert, again, its fine.

Yeah it's fine from a standpoint of "just inform folks who is in movie." It just happens to be super ugly at portraying that. The photoshopping and text layering (specifically the names) are terrible is the main thing for me. You can have a cramp busy poster that still looks good, even if its a flawed concept. This was a lazy concept and lazier execution, like most Marvel movies!

I'll stay pay to watch them. They have me by the balls. Why did I grow up reading comics!?!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

axleblaze posted:

ScarJo is doing probably the smartest possible thing career-wise right now, where she's taking as many high profile well paying jobs as she can while she's still considered hot and she's also doing a bunch of indie things so she can have an established track record of being a good actress when she gets too old by Hollywood standard. You say in a few years she'll be just be cast in standard roles, but it's more likely in a few years she'll be struggling to get the type of work she's getting now because the public will have moved on to the next gorgeous young actress.

I disagree with this only because I think ScarJo is a far better actress than the standard "gorgeous young actress" trope. I do agree the way she has differentiated her resume is a great strategic career move.

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, like JLaw or that hippy girl whose probably going to get vagina cancer.

There I go forgetting JLaw is around. Great gorgeous young actress.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Well, I more meant that she'll have trouble getting the types of roles she's currently getting so easily. The offers for big budget action stuff will start to fade which is why it's smart that she's mixing it up so she can show she can do whatever when Hollywood loses interest in using her just for her looks.

Gotcha, same page now. Should have read what you typed a little more closely.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Jeez Movie Poster Thread, don't you realize these are posters and not photographs?! Comeonson.

That tagline.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Geekboy posted:

This delights me. That tagline, indeed.

Is it wrong for me to be delighted because Casper Van Dien is in this?

One of boys in the trailer is rocking a dope wolf shirt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyMcI6222IY

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 25, 2015

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

bows1 posted:

Ugh I hope that scene isn't in the movie. The acting and effects were terrible.

I'm pretty sure the movie will be bad.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ariza posted:

This would be great if they got rid of those stupid festival things and those terrible quotes. IGN? Digital Journal? Rogerebert.com? I guess I should be happy they're not using tweets or Facebook updates.

Yeah I hate how they source the publication and not the reviewer. I get why they do it that way, but it still irks me. "Ain't it cool News" looks terrible on any poster.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

That well may have been poisoned by David Manning.

Oh, and here's the other poster for Spring.

And here's a movie Aaron Moorhead did a couple of years ago that's worth a look.

He also did the "Bonestorm" segment from V/H/S: Viral, but that movie blows.

Bonestorm is the best part of Viral. Resolution is also a good low key indie flick. I dig that poster for Spring.

(I enjoyed VHS: Viral except for the wraparound, and wish the last segment hadn't been cut before release)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I want a giant version of this for my hallway. The whole hallway.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

To echo Hundu

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
James Roday and Maggie Lawson were pretty great together in Gamer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah the casting is insanely good for an Ant-Man movie. Like other posters, I mostly worry about how it will pull off the Edgar Wright feel without Edgar Wright.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That is a major improvement. Nice touch with Ant-Man holding up the heads.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

lelandjs posted:

The toy train gag from the trailer is very Edgar Wright, but I didn't get that feeling from anything else in the trailer. But then again I don't think they're really trying to capture a Wright feel for the movie, if that's really what they wanted they wouldn't have fired him.

He wrote the script as well though. So if they used even 75% of his script then it will be filled with Edgar Wright style gags. If you don't film those gags close to Edgar Wright's style I can see them falling flat.

Imagine the stuff from Shaun of the Dead where Shaun is getting ready for his day, smash cuts over really mundane things making them look more dramatic. Now imagine that scene filmed in a straight forward manner with Shaun just going through the motions. It just wouldn't work the same.
Clip for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YY6mymW4oA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The MSJ posted:

They are even adding a new spin off from Flash and Arrow.

And also this really bizarre new season of Prison Break.

The episode where these two team up is fantastic.