Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

After seeing The League of Gentlemen over the free Criterion weekend I got to say it has an amazing poster. There's something terrifyingly Orwellian about the stylized bowler, gas mask and sten gun:

I also finally appreciate the skewering that Pelham 123 gives to the whole concept of 'military raid' robberies against civilians. The British military mastermind Mr. Blue has to be a send up of the colonel's meticulous plan in League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

penismightier posted:

Wow, I've never even heard of this one. That's a beautiful poster.

It's effectively the British Ocean's Eleven, and in fact came out four months before while putting significantly more emphasis on the 'military veterans' aspect of the heist team. Wikipedia doesn't mention Ocean's Eleven being inspired by any previous books (The League is based on a pulp novel of the same name from 1958), so it might just be a case of Armageddon/Deep Impact coincidence.

It also has this great exchange:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOY9fMpfWZ8

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Michael Douglas has been replaced for the better.

Goddamn, that's some crazy yonic imagery right there.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Strong contender for best tagline

This sounds like something Laszlo, Nandor and Nadja would end up making (with Colin Robinson as DP).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Dillbag posted:

I remember this movie. Fred Savage shoots a guy in the face with his piss.

I remember he also had a mass grave in his back yard of all the G.I. Joes that didn't make it back from Nam.