Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Alhazred posted:

The V for Vendetta posters were pretty good in how they emulated the style of propaganda posters:

And then we got the dvd cover where a giant Natalie Portman looks disappointed in you:

The two disc edition used the first post your posted, which was very nice compared to the regular DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

On the down side, it could encourage George Lucas to make more movies. It's like AVP again, no matter who wins, we lose.

Can we quit it with this? Lucas had involvement in this film yes, but that's not an evil thing. Yes, he made some lame Star Wars movies. Get over it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Xenophon posted:

Was looking to see if The Hunt for Red October had 5.1 sound, I have the old DVD:

Here's the new cover:

Blugh, it looks like a direct-to-DVD movie now

Alec Baldwin looks like the guy from Angel and Bones in that.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

This poster for The Woman in Black is one of my favorite posters in a long while. If the movie is any good, I might just have to buy one for my wall.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't see what's good about this poster. It looks like a bad Photoshop job, granted, it's not the usual bad Photoshop job, but it's still bad. Filter upon filter with no sense of layout.

:ssh: It is painted.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

echoplex posted:

Forgot about that. Also I just watched the trailer and it looks really naff, so balls to it all.

Naff? Please translate yourself, Englishman.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

penismightier posted:

Here's another really bad poster to sneer at. It evokes nothing about the movie, the color scheme is inappropriately soothing, the tape recorder looks like an amplifier, it tells you nothing at all about the film, and the title is barely present.

I did get what they were trying to do instantly, but I agree that this doesn't sell the film very well. If it was a picture of the Necronomicon in the same style, I'd probably like it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

To be honest, a lovely movie poster kind of suits that movie. It's sending up those kind of action movies.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't know for sure, but I have a hunch that 21 Jump Street won't be quite as entertaining as Hot Fuzz...

Early reviews are saying it's amazing. Considering it's from the guys who did Clone High, I can't wait.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:ughh:

The first trailer I saw for this actually looked pretty interesting up until the end. Getting super powers and loving with people in several different ways is totally cool, but making a lovely driver drive off the road simply will not fly! Then the guy's friends all think he's evil and should be stopped or something?

They were all being dicks with their powers. He wasn't the only one.

I'll probably still see it, but on a Saturday/Sunday morning when I only have to pay $5 for it.

Uhh...that car flipped the gently caress over in a pond. The driver is probably dead. That's why they freak out. Killing a dude is a lot different than lifting up a skirt or scaring a child with a teddy-bear

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

"This "Rage" book is a pretty goo...oh."- Stephen King

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Soundtrack by Eiffel 65.

Da Boo De Da Boo Die.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Captain Capacitor posted:

I think it'd be much better without the "Funniest movie you'll ever read" bit. Something appropriately cheesy would have been more suitable, I think.

I think that tagline is amazing, especially since most americans loath foreign movies because they have to read.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I liked his starting role in Martha Marcy May Marlene

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I really like this alternate cover for that lovely movie:

Almost makes me want to give the black and white version a try. Almost.

Take it from someone who considers that movie to be great, the black and white version is awesome.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Young Freud posted:

That looks like a Bernie Wrightson illustration. Or maybe Drew Struzan imitating Bernie Wrightson.

The last is pretty accurate as Drew did the painting. I think it was done as a gift for Frank Darabont too, since it was never used as a poster for the theatrical release. Drew also did the painting Thomas Jane is working on in the opening scene.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Nutsngum posted:

Is there any possibility of Men in Black 3 NOT being terrible and awful like Men in Black 2?

Potentially, but probably not. I'm interested to see more of it in a future trailer, but they started shooting before they finished writing the script. How often has that worked out well?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Well, the next one is called "A Good Day to Die Hard" or something like that, now that they are scripting it. Blech.

kiimo posted:

I just caught Live Free or Die Hard for the first time about a week ago and I was pleasantly surprised. I don't think it was mediocre at all.

Also on the off-hand chance UK or other goons from foreign lands don't know, the phrase is a play on words with an American Revolutionary War motto...

It's on their license plates too. Someone had "HARD" stickers made and vandalized some of the plates around the time the movie came out.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 20, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The character posters are even worse. What really bugs me is that the characters in the actual film, besides Depp of course, don't really look like typical Burton characters. The posters make them look that way, and it's loving cheap and lovely.

The colors are also horrendous.

kiimo, sorry if that was your work. If it wasn't, please inform someone at WB that they done hosed up. (I get the feeling Warner Brothers doesn't give a poo poo about this film either way though)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

I swear Tim Burton's ultimate family is to film two hours of Johnny Depp loving his wife on a curly mountain while Danny Elfman scores it in the corner.

So your dick will curl into a swirly mountain.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

This never stops being true. also hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFzLRP8e4vE

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

What about his ex-wife who used to be in all of his movies in minor roles who has apparently dropped off the face of the earth?

Ah, Lisa Marie. They were never married though (although, technically neither are Tim and Helena)

And yeah, I don't think Lisa Marie has done poo poo since Tim broke up with her. Edit: Her first movie since Planet of the Apes will be Rob Zombie's Lords of Salem. Went from Kid Friend Fake Goth to R-Rate Fake Goth.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Xenophon posted:

I saw these in the theater before Casa de mi Padre, I loathe these atrocious taglines:

That movie is doing everything in it's power to deter me from seeing it. It's working, Mirror Mirror. It is working!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Theaters screening films for employees after hours isn't illegal. Most theaters do it and it is often encouraged (Pixar does this a lot) to ensure the film will run perfectly for paying customers.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

The Criterion cover for Videodrome has a lot to do with me wanting to see the film in the first place.

I loved the DVD box. It looked like a VHS tape in a slip cover. Didn't really translate to the Blu-Ray (Did they even bother? I don't own the Blu-Ray)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The idea of a killer shark loose in a SeaWorld park is such a good concept. Jaws 3D doesn't do the best job with it, but drat, I laugh every time I watch it. I missed a chance to see it in 3D last summer, and I kind of hate myself for it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I think Jay Dub said to me that they looked like they wanted to make them like an Warhol painting and then forgot what a Warhol painting looked like. That about sums up the first round of posters. The newer ones are a tad better (They still paled the hell out of Helena despite her character looking fairly normal in the trailer) because they prefer to let the character shine and then do wacky color poo poo to the background instead.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Her face. Jesus Christ, her face.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Professor Clumsy posted:

They should have called it Dirty Cock.

30 Rock Hard.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't get it, how is that big? Any animals that learn things learn by watching, usually by watching their mother or fellow pack members.

Octopus learn really loving fast. What might take another animal a few times of watching to get, they get in a second. Smart motherfuckers.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Alhazred posted:

The campaign for Cabin in the Woods was so self aware that it probably at some point went down to the local pub and got pissed:

These are photoshops done by Whedon fans.

And the marketing only gives away the first section of the movie. The last act is hardly even referenced, and it's bugfuck insane (in a very entertaining way)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Cabin in the Woods loving owns. I saw it three weeks ago, and I can't stress how fun it is. I can't wait until Friday so I can go see it again.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

echoplex posted:

One way to ensure DVD sales: make it look like a lovely, generic action film.

:(

Jesus christ, that drains all the mystique the original poster had. If that had been what came out in theaters, I doubt I would have cared much about the movie. Hanna rules, it deserves better than that.

kiimo posted:

In my opinion the best western ever made is a spaghetti western.

(The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)

Yeah, Not sure I dig the idea that just because it's a "spaghetti" western, it's not a good western. American westerns are far more generic than the italian ones. Once Upon a Time in the West is one of the best films ever made, and if someone were to say to me "Oh, it's italian. I only like real westerns" I'd have to contain my anger.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 12, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

penismightier posted:

I'm in love with this 1934 poster:

Her face is amazing. "Oh my!"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Wreck-It Ralph already has my money. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxa_p_tULyE

That is spectacular.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Tom Waits with a bunny rabbit makes that poster rule.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I really dig it, kiimo. I like that you can kind of see a skull in the radiation symbol, but it's clearly a radiation symbol.

Good stuff.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

James Cromwell wants to die.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

Is there any reason as to why there is a puppy dog in the reflection of the blood in this poster?

It's Jason's sack mack. It does look a lot like a dog in that picture though. Way to go DVD Cover designers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

There was a Romeo and Juliet one too, I think.