Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HoldYourFire posted:

I swear the UK trailer I saw said "Spy versus spy". Either I'm misremembering or it was probably changed for legal reasons.

Canade here, and I remember the trailer saying "Spy versus spy" too but it was like a tagline, not the name of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Kro-Bar posted:

Cross-posting this from D&D. Too good to pass up.

:911:

Kirk Cameron drags a flag around and cries because gay people exist

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Kro-Bar posted:

It's odd to me that the statue in the poster isn't the Statue of Liberty. Can anyone ID what it actually is?

He's looking at that statue in the dumb loving trailer. I have no idea what it is, but he acts like it's the second coming.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This rules.

It's also not a real movie, so don't get your hopes up.

This one is pretty great too(by the same artist):

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

"Hey, throw some more poo poo in the background!"
"Like what?"
"Some crappy Captain America clipart."

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

QuoProQuid posted:

Are there any more that he has done? Does he have a website?

Yeah. He has some more posters and a bunch of other graphic design pieces on his website.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Lizard Combatant posted:

He may as well be married to Depp too. I like both Carter and Depp but this poo poo is ridiculous.

I swear Tim Burton's ultimate family is to film two hours of Johnny Depp loving his wife on a curly mountain while Danny Elfman scores it in the corner.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

So your dick will curl into a swirly mountain.

You better believe it.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I know that's a typo and you meant 'fantasy', but it's much funnier like this.

I'm not even gonna fix it, cause you're right.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

kiimo posted:

It was not, it was done by another team.

However this film is based on a long-running British soap opera that Depp is a huge fan of.

I haven't seen it but I hear it is pretty good and has a distinct campy tone and that is what they're trying to get across.

I've seen it and I'm into the movie when I watch the trailer. I think it's giving me Beetlejuice and Mars Attacks! vibes, which is a good thing. However, those posters are pretty awful and clearly a product of the Alice/Chocolate Factory era Burton.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

kiimo posted:

I don't know what this means. There are hundreds and hundreds of different comps and many many directions that they go, then meeting after meeting happens and the production team along with the executives choose which direction they want to go and then they cut and paste and spice and dice.

If there is any connection to those films it is probably due to the taste of the filmmakers, not any kind of direct correlation to past films.

That's what I mean though. They look like the recent taste of the filmmaker and it makes sense to make them look like that--Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland both made a lot of money. Unfortunately they both suck, and so do those posters. They have the bright hair/pale face thing going on that Depp had in Alice, but for all of the characters. Unless they're going for some '70s pop-art vibe, but even then it comes off as pretty garish.

scary ghost dog posted:

I doubt Tim Burton cares enough about the movie posters to make sure they perfectly represent his movie.

Yep, you're right. Tim Burton didn't make those posters.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

FoneBone posted:

Of course Burton didn't design the posters, but I'd be surprised if he didn't have any approval over them.

Even if he didn't, they're created with the knowledge that Burton has an image and an audience that they want to sell this film to. In my opinion, the posters look like they're very much in the vein of current-Burton, which to me is a bad thing. The trailer gives me early-Burton vibes, which is why I like it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare: What the gently caress is this and when is it coming out because I'm pretty sure I need to see it

Here's a teaser trailer for it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Desperado Bones posted:

So it seems they decided to make a new poster for Dark Shadows:

Still not good. :sigh:

I think a few of the other ones--the Eva Green and Chloe Moretz ones particularly--pull off the dark pop-art vibe a little better.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Desperado Bones posted:

These ones?

These ones.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

f#a# posted:

PS, Rian Johnson director? I am totally on board, Brick and Brothers Bloom were great.

Shane Carruth, the director/writer/etc. of Primer, was a technical consultant on the film too. So, like, quadruple on board.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

And is that supposed to be Joseph Gordon Levitt?

And why are they all angular like a Max Payne character?

The makeup or prosthetics they're using to make JGL look more Willis-y is probably contributing to that. I just hope it looks good when filmed. The photos make it look a little 'eh'.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 7, 2012

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm just gonna assume that Gina Gershon is under that Burqua.

Robert Patrick As The Villains From Star Trek: Insurrection

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Those are really reminding me of Blade Runner in an Apple-run world.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

uPen posted:

Throw all contracts out the window, it's a goddamn poster deal with it.

Celebrities are never picky about contracts or their image so this would work.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

And it had that monkey from The Hangover 2 and Community. I guess.

This is a rude thing to say about Ken Jeong.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

kiimo posted:

Also since I haven't created that trailer thread yet, please enjoy our new trailer just released just now for Ben Affleck's Argo...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/argo/

Sorry for being kind of off-topic, promise to get a new thread at some point.

Just talked about this in the General Chat Thread. I am really excited for this movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Gonz posted:

Just don't poo poo in the shower.

Look at this guy, with all the time in the world.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

thrawn527 posted:

First off, yeah, I don't think the designers of that poster understand how the female body is built. Second thing...isn't Channing Tatum in this movie? That's the second major poster I've seen without him in it.

He's in it, but it doesn't look like he's a main character. In fact, it looks like he gets killed off early(or at least taken out of commission)

\/\/\/\/I haven't seen any previews that show him post-attack

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 10, 2012

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The poster's interesting and the movie looks good. Aubrey Plaza is awesome and will be amazing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Vintersorg posted:

Does this look a lot more like John De Lancie than Michael Rooker to anyone else?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Bugblatter posted:

I hadn't heard of that, but according to google it was on The Wettest County in the World.

That was the original title of Lawless, so it was this film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Man, I'm not getting any of that at all. Of course it's all flash and style: they're setting up their vision and their world. It's the first trailer, so I don't expect a whole hell of a lot of substance or plot(and we did get some in the back-half of the trailer).

Also, I'm definitely a Leo fan, so I'm not worried about him at all. He, Mulligan, Maguire and Edgerton are half the reason why I'm so excited for this.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Honestly, WB probably realizes that they don't exactly have to break the bank on marketing the get people to see the movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Looper poster basically reads as a high budget Primer, and what do you know, Shane Carruth is linked to the film as some sort of advisor to the time travel effects.

Actually he's a poo poo hot Time Consultant!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

This is pretty ridiculous:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Chris Pine always looks like a Thunderbirds marionette on posters.

Also, he smuggled a lot of lens flare off of the Star Trek set.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

kiimo posted:

Ha thanks, but more accurate to say they're photoshopped well. It is from a photoshoot but yeah, they're touched up. See if you can spot where!

It is a really good job. I like the poster.

Something about Zach Galifianakis' cheek/neck looks a little off, if I had to guess a single part, but really can't find anything that looks 'obviously' photoshopped.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mister Chief posted:

Is the star of this movie also a professional wrestler?

I don't know about that, but in the trailer he looks like a young, yuppier Bruce Campbell.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

New poster for V/H/S

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

ruddiger posted:

Was right about to post that. I'm friends with the movie's creators and I really wanted to like that poster, but they should've went with an actual VHS tape instead of the almost 8-bit looking skull.

Yeah, I like the concept but, you're right, the 8-bit aspect of it makes the skull look too cartoony.

I loved that poster they had for its festival appearance. Just white poster board with a VHS taped to it and V/H/S sharpied above it.

Didn't AxleBlaze win one of those?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HTJ posted:

It lends itself to Thor-style advertising:

I think of it as Social Network-style:

YOU DON'T
GRANT
500 MILLION
WISHES
WITHOUT GRIFTING
A FEW
MUNCHKINS

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

E the Shaggy posted:

Mondo's selling these Dark Knight Rises posters at Comic Con. I want one so bad.

I can't read or hear that tagline anymore without hearing Jay-Z saying it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

GonSmithe posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. I think he looked absolutely amazing in the trailers. That poster? Not so much. But he looks like he's literally embodying Bruce Willis in the trailers, and the makeup looks seamless.

Yeah, I'm agreeing with this. He's a really great actor and the trailer took some getting to used to, but now I love that makeup. Agreed that he looks extremely un-JGL/Willis in that poster though.

Jasta posted:

I don't mean that JGL isn't badass. He's just not the same, snarky John McClane type of badass.

While you're right, The MSJ is making a joke about something else.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really, really liked the teaser for Retribution but I can't bring myself to watch it until 2 years from now when it's on FX, and I'm cleaning up or something.

I haven't seen a Resident Evil movie since the second one(maybe some of the third) but the Retribution trailer looks kind of interesting. Oded Fehr, Michelle Rodriguez and Colin Salmon being in it again is kind of cool

But basically what you said: It's a watch on TV kinda movie, or catch it when a friend's watching it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Android Bicyclist posted:

Is it that bad to have him pointing right instead of left?

Yeah, your version looks unbalanced as gently caress.

That's a really weird poster though. I think Pitt against the harsh black looks a little off. Still looks like a boss movie though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

TheJoker138 posted:

If he moved the title over to the right side, like it's on the left in relation to Pitt it would be fine.

Yeah, but then the name "Brad Pitt" would be on the far right and that would look really weird so they could centre it or blah blah blah. They consider all these things and the fact that Pitt was flipped isn't the bad part of that poster at all.