Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

For about a century now, posters have been a important part of movie advertising.
Painted artworks for mainstream posters started to go extinct in the early 1990s with the rise of photo editing software. Nowadays most posters consist of photography and Photoshop.
Here we post, discuss, praise or ridicule the best, the worst and the ugliest posters & design trends of old and new.

Trends & clichés:
A selection of reappearing motifs - we all know the floating head & the bold red comedy title, but did you ever notice...

The back:

The back-to-back:

The spread:

Take a seat:

The beachhead - heads floating over beach visitors:

The bed:

The construed face:

The eye:

The eye-less:

The typeface:

The reflection:

Others include the yellow indie poster, the 40-year-old virgin gradient, the jump-and-shoot, three's company, the red dress, running scared, the lean, etc... after a hundred years it's hard to be original.
Images cobbled together from the huge collection of examples from Christophe Courtois' blog.

Colors & Techniques:

The blue/cyan/teal and orange contrast feels very pleasant to most people and exists on posters in a range from 'carefully selected imagery that actually uses those colors' to 'completely forced for the sake of it'.

It works, so, if it's not applied ineptly, you can't really blame them for using it. No need to post every new "blue & orange poster for them sheeples :smug:" just because you're in the know.

The grittier brother is the black and orange contrast mainly used for pure action movies

If the movie is about animals the go-to color is a deep lush blue.

The retro/Saul Bass-look:

Only a few modern movies actually use this and that's a good thing, considering only a few can pull it off.
The bulk of modern retro posters originate from independent designers like Olly Moss & fans and while their reduced look and clever visuals are pretty sweet and make nice decorations, their style rarely really fits the movie and many of them, like the Die Hard one, require you to have seen or at least know quite a bit about the movie beforehand to work.
I'm not sure the M:I4 poster is an official one, even if it was circulated as such, but I'm not a big fan of it either way - while it's a decent visual combination of a fuse and the Burj Khalifa, not knowing that this building would be featured in the movie and it's not yet iconic enough silhouette made me think it's part of an lock picking set at first.

A side-note about Typography: One of the most frequently used fonts on movie posters is Trajan, but thanks to it's rather restrained visuals it will still never be as noticeable as the butt-ugly Papyrus.

If all fails and those trends and techniques can't inspire a new poster there's always the old switcheroo:

The flood of lovely movie posters:

The seemingly deteriorating quality of movie posters was the trigger for the old thread, but it's not just the designers who are at fault.
When the producers are done giving their professional creative inputs, often they have to make due with awful source material, seeing as there are almost no actual photoshoots for posters anymore. Placing the actors heads from some random photos onto stand-ins is a given.
Even with mega-budget movies like John Carter the designers are forced to piece together something new out of actually high-quality promo pictures.

Another thing lots of people get irritated about are the missaligned credits (order of the names over the floating heads not the same as the actual actors depicted under them). That's a contract issue, not the designer's fault.

And then there's stuff like the MPAA's sometimes seemingly random interventions:
3 of these posters were rejected.

(Hint: The second The Hills have Eyes one was declared A-OK!)

DVD/Blu Ray covers:

Covers are not posters. You can still post them here if they are exceptionally good or bad. Criterion covers, for example, use great artwork most of the time, but would make rather bad posters a lot of times because they're seldom very telling - don't just randomly throw them at this thread, at least not without a few words why you feel the way you feel about them.

The more interessting aspect about covers is their often observed profit-metamorphosis, when studios decide to skip using interessting poster artwork in favor of something less specific/original in hopes to appeal to the taste of the masses.
They may even vary from country to country or release to release, often emphasizing action by adding elements not present in the movie.

Rules:
- If you post a poster, at least state if you think it's good or bad.
- Don't post with an unnecessary "I can't believe nobody posted this yet" comment - even though there are hunderts of thousands of posters out there, you'll probably manage to post one that was already here anyway...
- Don't overanalyze - Quit while you're ahead. If you don't really get anatomy or perspective all that well you probably shouldn't complain about it - or you'll look like right the fool when you get called out on it!

Links:
http://www.impawards.com/ - Great poster resource with annual poster awards
http://www.wrongsideoftheart.com - Archive of high-res poster scans
http://imgur.com - Image host. Don't leech images!
http://www.poster.com.pl/movie-us1.htm - polish movie posters
http://www.reelizer.com/ - Alternative poster art
Controversial Movie Posters

westborn fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
Examples
I've grouped these together in view of the thread title, those are not in any way binding categories you'll have to sort the posters you want to post in.

The good
Interesting, clever and well done artwork is a start. A great poster ideally also conveys a sense of the theme or vibe the viewer can expect from the movie.

The bad
Posters that are lazily put together, unoriginal, boring, not very informative, illegible, confusing, unintentionally funny/offensive or bad imitations of better ones. Anatomy and perspective may differ from reality.

Giant Miley Cyrus looks away in shame as the decapitated head of some guy rockets into the sky, Dane Cook pales in a Crash imitation and Dreamworks' marketing department bravely defends it's reputation while Nic Cage fires his invisible gun.

The awful
Awful posters, likely cobbled together by the producers nephew, often missing any semblance of art direction. The real stinkers.

Special mentions

The (un)intentional hilarity that is the Yogi Bear teaser poster:

The King - don't stare at him too long, or he will stare back at you...

Holy hell, that's lazy:

westborn fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 21, 2012

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
Thanks for all the kind words about the OP!

Demp posted:

Still waiting for a Crimson Skies movie...

While the following posters aren't necessarily great or even good, those caricature illustrations made me think of a few other awesome artists, so while we're at it have some...

Jack Davis:

Mort Drucker:

If you can't quite put a finger on why their style looks familiar, they're better known for their MAD Magazine work.

And lastly, somebody who's best know for way different stuff like this:

Frank Frazetta:

(He did some MAD stuff, too, by the way)

Yes, colored borders of some sort were very common back then.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

Are posters like this still being made? Or are we stuck now with red big letters and white backgrounds for comedies, with bodies assembled together and brushed to Hell in photoshop?
The most recent one I can think of right now with a somewhat similar style is this:

But just like with Grindhouse or Saul Bass-style posters, I'll bet there are at least some out there, if only to parody the style.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

kiimo posted:

BTW who can lend me a child so I can have an excuse to watch this?

Don't forget to watch the other ones first!

and the creative highlight:

And there's even more, cause they're all sequels to the Air Bud movies!

The "A good old fashioned Orgy" poster was faulted for it's photoshoped pile of 'unkowns'.

Other countries fixed this by making a complete mess out of it:

But I've noticed there's actually a clean and clever simplitic poster out there, too:

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

Is it just me, or is the dropped bikini top from the two posters the exact same one, only switched around?
That's the first thing I noticed, too, but Vagabundo is also right about the hands...

And while I'm at it, this one came up in the last thread:

This one I already linked in the OP, but it fit's this post so well.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

cloudchamber posted:

Please remember to add at least a few words if you're posting it as good or bad.
This seems pretty mediocre. Nothing special but no photoshop disaster and probably pretty telling about the movie.
And it's kind of a fliped version of the 'between the legs' motive, deliberately or not.

Vagabundo posted:

I'm also convinced the legs and butt of the girl in the red bikini will match up with the one on the Pirahna 3D poster.
It doesn't.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
The Inglourious Basterds posters had Hakenkreuze on them, was that Nazi propaganda...?
You can't really fault posters for the themes of the respective movie, so please don't derail the thread with stupid arguments about those.

If it was added gratuitously it would be different, but the trailer of Les Infidèles I just watched made it seem pretty fitting.

Vagabundo posted:

If they're happy putting the same bikini top and recycling the hands from the other poster, why stop there?
No doubt they've lifted the girls from somewhere, but it's just not the one from the Piranha poster.

westborn fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 3, 2012

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Habermann posted:

Much like a blowfish inflates itself to scare away predators, the cover to "Legend of the Sea" does a wonderful job scaring off adults and children alike (Though studies have shown that the sight of Rob Schneider's name is actually a stronger deterrent than a set of sharpened spines).

I wouldn't say it's great, but I don't see much wrong with this apart from the low quality source images of the otherwise not too bad renders the designer had to work with (and Rob Schneider of course) and it's a perfectly okay cover for a kids movie. You probably wouldn't even notice the compression on the printed cover unless you hold it way too close to your face.

If I'd be looking to buy a dvd for a kid I could see myself picking it up for a serious closer look compared to lazy looking stuff like this:

Even the Lion of Judah cover looks pretty good - compared to the horrors that await inside...

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Johnny Digital posted:

So would she be doing gun-fingers instead?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

I love this one:

Nice concept and artwork, but with the low legibility of the title and the almost too hidden visual clues I can easily see why, from an advertising standpoint, a poster like this...

Desperado Bones posted:

But it seems someone decided it needed floating heads and poo poo:

...is simply a necessity to lure in people with a shorter attention span. K.I.S.S.
Of course it looks quite generic, especially compared to the other, but it's at worst just medicore. It's got a nice use of negative space in the title at least.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

Also, this poster looks like a DTV Crow sequel.
Those wish they'd look that passable...

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Dillbag posted:

Not too shabby for floating heads...
The big face isn't even floating for the purpose of the poster design, it's just a pretty accurate representation of what's actually in the movie...

But why did a Cover for Dark City have to be so... white?
I know it's the new "cool" color, but it just doesn't fit very well.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

Is it just me...?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Haven't seen one of my favorite posters yet (can't find a good-sized image though):
And it seems like you're leeching that one. Please don't do that.
Here you go:

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Brettbot posted:

Is it just me, or is that the Burger King font?

The little laurels on the bottom even look like the Burger King logo in the thumbnail!

Also, if I can be total :goonsay: about this, it bugs me that they didn't do:

code:
    D
   A N
  C E R
 I N T H
E D A R K
It's neither the same font (come on, one look at the 'a' or 'r' should give away that it's not even just a thinner version) nor is that supposed to be some sort of perfect typographic pyramid, it's an eye chart. All the logo and the laurels have in common is that they're round.
Your post is all kinds of :psyduck: to me...

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Also, this is a really lovely Aliens cover:

Wow, took me a while to actually see this as the queen instead of some alien rat with oversized head.

/vvvv Don't know, seem quite fitting and it's got the original typeface. Could use a more 'radioactive' green...

westborn fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 18, 2012

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Legion of One posted:

I remember being told that one of the actors for this (i think it was Dane Cook) called it one of the most generic posters hes ever seen, think he used more Colourful language though.
How could anyone call such a bold deviation from the usual "the lone gender goes in the middle" rule of "three's company" posters generic...

Sadly enough, as seen with the 'A Dangerous Method' poster, this doesn't stop with love triangle movies...

Colin Firth seems predestined for those.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

kiimo posted:

Sorry, but with the text hugging the edge so closely and the adopted expectation of centered credits at the bottom, this looks like someone cut off a big piece of the left side of the poster.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Not really?
I guess I could have added "In my opinion", but it should be implied. This isn't an objectively wrong complaint about perspective or anatomy, it's a subjective criticism about the composition, so you can't really deny how this feels to me. :colbert:

Vintersorg posted:

It's just left justified and looks fine, different, but fine.
Yes, it's left-justified. That is fine and I like it. I also like the consistency of it.
That doesn't make the weirdly tiny margin between the text and the left border any better.
Either go with no margin at all (doesn't work well with this font) or use a 'proper' margin. To me this looks half-assed, like they confused the safe-margin with the trim line. And as a designer, this really fucks with my brain.

Here's a quick mock-up with a margin similar to the top margin and the space between the title and the credits:

Here's one with a margin similar to the space between the actors' names and the title:

Here's the original:

If you don't think the original looks somehow cut off now we must simply agree to disagree.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

zoux posted:

(I've been having this problem lately where I can't get inline images to show up, can anyone else see an inline image in this post?)
The url inside your img-tags links to the imgur-page with the image on it, not the image itself.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

It was in the early teasers, actually.
It's not so much just in the teaser as it is the teaser. I'm pretty sure there was never supposed to be a WTC scene (or at least not that one) in the movie itself and the whole thing was made as a very early stand-alone teaser, and that's why...

Vagabundo posted:

The bank robbery looked really cheap

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
This is still that poster's FedEx-arrow:

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Noxville posted:

Sure is better than the horrible UK cover.

I believe that one has a pretty fitting glow-in-the-dark effect (probably the skeleton) going for it.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There was a really good timeline of how the posters for this movie degraded over time in the last thread.

It's been quoted on the first page of this one.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just found this one I made a year or so ago. I can't remember if it was for a minimalist poster photoshop thread here or at another site. It's for that german safety video.... you know the one.

Ah, yes, the famous german saftey video Staple-Führer Klaus...

Not to be confused with the obscure Staplerfahrer Klaus.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Great poster and I think it's been mentioned before that it might have been inspired by this one:

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Vegetable posted:

That floating box is so bad :wtc:
Are you complaining about the bad compositing of the box in particular on a poster full of bad compositing, or are you actually implying it's floating? I get how the sleeve of the arm holding it up can be easily confused with part of the costume of the guy behind it, but it "is" supported.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Also, weird thing about this movie, I know it exists because of the poster/cover, trailer and news article but there's no record of it on IMDB at all.

It's just listed under its original title, but still the first search result for me.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
Apparently this boring minimalistic fanposter was chosen to become an official comic-con poster:

The two characters on the right seem to have levitation powers.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

R. Mute posted:

So I repeat: It's bad.

All of this pretty much boils down to "it's a bad promotional piece". But no matter what you think about Mondo, most of their stuff, like that one, is artwork made for existing fans of movies, not advertising media to promote those movies. They're not trying to sell the movie, they try to sell the poster itself.

I personally find that one aesthetically quite pleasing, and if I somehow felt the need to express my love for Four Lions on my wall, I'd put up that rather one than the offical poster.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

:catstare:

In what world does coloring his skin green not make this racially charged as all gently caress?

I was a bit perplexed when I noticed the text was in german - it's from the GDR. That makes a bit more sense than it being from any other german speaking country.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It doesn't look like the Threshold filter, so it's not a threshold filter.

The only way this doesn't look like a threshold filter is if you think they've applied it to the image at that size.
Applied to a much larger, grainy image and resized that looks exactly like it a threshold filter.

Example:

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

What movie is that even?

It's the 'Shaun the Sheep' movie, and it's clearly just a gag poster meant for the established fanbase of the Aardman Animations television series - a spin off of Wallace and Gromit. I'm guessing it was posted to relevant social media accounts, hardly being very confussing in context, unlike in this thread.

westborn fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 18, 2015

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

The Incedibles 2 teaser poster.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

kiimo posted:

I looked at this way too long. It's like I'm in a new dimension and my brain can't accept it.

It's a reflection in a wet sidewalk of people in the rain, just turned upside down. What's so hard to grasp about it...?

Can your brain accept it the right way around?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Sockser posted:

Have there ever been good character posters?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

KinkyJohn posted:

Because the sun is behind the mountains, they would cast shadows forward into the scene. The water would also reflect the background at least faintly.

That's what one might expect it to look like, but reality disagrees at that angle/distance. There's little realistic "faint shadow/reflection" middleground to add.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
2012:

2013:

2014:

2015:

2016:

...thread just turned 5. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

westborn
Feb 25, 2010