Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Speaking of videogame movies:

For a second I thought the title actually WAS "Return to Silent Hill" and was disappointed when I saw the actual name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sockser posted:

What is the origin of that pose?
I see it all over the place and I'm sure it references some famous painting but the reference has always been lost.

Or did Vacation start it?

Its sometimes referred to as "The King of the Mountain" trope, its just a popular pose for pulpy adventure stories. Probably started with Conan, like they said.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Having read the novel, that's intentional.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vegetable posted:

For a small company they sure have some big names voicing their characters

It's pretty surprising who some of these straight-to-dvd movies can get to voice their characters. Look at all the names in Foodfight

e: beaten

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

By the same token, the Ghostbusters 2 poster gets across the message that its fundamentally the same as the first movie, except worst in every way.

To move away from things that are logos, the classic Metropolis poster fits the film perfectly:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It shows the path the plot takes. They start out in 1985, go to 2015, then to the alternate 1985, and finally end up in 1955.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't know, it has the same sort of aesthetic of badly drawn VHS covers from the 80s, it kind of fits the movie.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm almost tempted to dislike the artwork for the Criterion version of The Great Dictator because it comes pretty close to being like the lovely minimalist posters that everyone's doing, but it works well enough as a visual pun that I don't.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lets back up a bit because you can't have Godzilla poster discussion without Godzilla vs Biollante.

The best Godzilla poster. The best Godzilla movie. :colbert:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a kind of/sort of remake of Conquest.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I was all onboard for Jurassic World until it turned out to be about an amazingly dangerous fake Dinosaur engineered to be a park attraction. gently caress that poo poo man. Half the appeal of Jurassic Park is that it's not a simple monster movie.

A couple of pages back, but a genetically engineered dinosaur designed by committee to be 'cool' literally fits the themes of the original to a t. Even better if its like that big robot from Robocop and is overdesigned to the point of failure.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Every one of those Britcom posters look hideous and unappealing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So I bought a thing.

Fitting for October I guess.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Futurama was good because the writers weren't nerdy enough to make it all bad referential humor, not in spite of it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well I'm sorry but its really legible and reads as 'Down'. I know Goons like to make typography jokes but sometimes you reach too far.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What's the bottom kid's supernatural trait? That he's ginger?

He doesn't have one. The plot of the first movie was about him, a human, staying at Hotel Transylvania, a hotel for universal monster men. Also he banged Dracula's daughter. A surprisingly good movie.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Olympus Has Fallen got a sequel? Why?

They should make one kicking rad Olympus movie for every modern lovely Die Hard sequel

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How could you miss the 80s setting of the Snyder film? Like the first 10 minutes is about introducing the alt history premise.

And the movie is not about the same things as the novel, despite the close adaptation of the plot. If is a good story in its own right.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

I'm not saying that Watchmen is somehow devalued because of it; I just think it's funny. I chuckle heartily. It's also kind of amusing that the other characters still work as parodies of current superheroes but there's really no analogue to Rorschach.

Rorschach was always more Travis Bickle to me than The Question tbh.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I went to the Shanghai Film Museum the other day and grabbed some shots of the posters they had hanging up.

Hibiscus Town (1986) - Xie Jin was heavily showcased in the museum, receiving a huge statue and display in the hall of stars and yet another hallway dedicated to him on a lower level.

I was going to try to translate the rest of these but my Mandarin is really rudimentary.

I kind of want a copy of this.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No Pixar movies are good. Also Film is bad, fake and also gay.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The MSJ posted:

She's the level-headed woman who is there to stop the boys from fighting like children.

It was secretly a reboot of Red River the entire time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

3 had at least one well done action sequence, which is more than you can say about Genisys. Arnold having fun and hamming it up was about the only bright spot in what was otherwise a big budget, bad fanfiction film.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The 2nd Purge movie was pretty awesome and goofy and I'm totally on board.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

kiimo posted:

You kids and your Full House. That was a poo poo show. It's funny how when you're just old enough you can recognize growing up what shows are poo poo and you aren't affected by nostalgia moving forward. I was young enough to believe Saved by the Bell was a good show and old enough to see through Full House.

It's why my girlfriend thinks Hey Dude is worth a reboot and Pokemon is awful trash.

That's not fair. I was born in 1991 and I've always hated Full House.

Pokemon, on the other hand, was legit.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Palpek posted:

Hell yeah:

Its a shame they couldn't get Carrel back though. I hate it when that happens.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Something about that poster makes me think "Gee, Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller sure look different"

"John Goodman really HAS lost a lot of weight"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Everything about Rogue One makes it look like one of those movies based on a YA novel.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No just the entire visual style. And the poster. It doesn't really look like a Star Wars movie at all.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I literally thought this was an old magazine ad for like, the first one from the early 2000s. This looks like the kind of corny advertisement they had back then, not something that came out in 2016.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Also the fake out ending.

"The president has been shot! ...in another theater."

Yea its like someone read about Lincoln's son seeing a different play at the time and thinking that would be a clever way of handling it, but its a little too clever in the final film.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I mean, to be honest, some of the effects in Assassin's Creed look slightly unfinished.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Street Fighter, too!

I know its like Sonny Chiba's shtick to play anti-heroes, but the main character of this one goes too far and becomes straight up unlikeable. Other than the action being good, its weird to think this is the one that made him famous in America.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I didn't know the annoying orange was part of the Suicide Squad.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I've seen every Asylum movie about sharks, which is probably close to 50 at this point. The Sharknado movies actually are a cut above the rest of most of their films, probably because they feel like the people making them actually had fun.

Also how can you not appreciate the fact that they made sharks their thing instead of just doing zombies like a lot of b-movie types.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Man those Malick movies a pretty dull.

Which I guess is entirely appropriate :smug:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Palpek posted:

To take the Oriental Pearl Tower on a world tour, obviously. I mean a fancy tower like that must look pretty sexy to a gigantic alien pebble.

They're gonna be disappointed with the rotating buffet. Bunch of cold rear end steak up there.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So do they gently caress or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why wait that long? I'd take that cast change anyday

fake edit: New Username idea - "William H Mace Windu"