Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Triumphant posted:

There's a scene where Nic Cage breaks into a nursing home, shaves while interrogating someone, and then points a gun at an old lady's head and threatens to shoot her for spending her grandkids' inheritance money on oxygen
One of the articles in the OP mentions that this scene was going to be the original poster. Alas, the MPAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

And this:

But it seems someone decided it needed floating heads and poo poo:

A bird with blood in its stool.

And why does Edgar Allan Poe have a gun? *wiki's the film* Well this film will be awful.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Triumphant posted:

Yeah, guy plays a Marxist revolutionary who thinks that little people will only be free if they cast off their chains through violent uprising. It's pretty great.
You're thinking of Peter Dinklage - who is also great in this.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

File Under: :wtc:

:nws: Pasolini's Arabian Nights :nws:

I don't see that ending well.
This seems pretty standard fare for Pasolini, though. A good poster.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

kiimo posted:

Everything in that show was insufferable.
You're actually wrong. It's in fact the best show. And Steve Zahn was surprisingly great in it.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zenintrude posted:

Here's the trailer... it looks really bad :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ORtLAxueLU
This, like everything Seth MacFarlane does, looks like poo poo.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

gently caress your Hobbit, this is my poo poo right here.

I like it, I'll admit, but with the source material available here it could've been much better.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Woody is a highway one should just be on every cover.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Bogmonster posted:

Mondo poster for Four Lions. I quite like this!
It's bad.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Vargo posted:

I'm going to start probating people for auto-making GBS threads on Mondo posters without giving reasons, even "ironically."
Okay, fine. It's ugly. It chose to just work from the title instead of working with the actual contents of the movie. The poster tells you nothing about the movie - like 'whoever made this hasn't actually seen the movie' types of nothing. It's uninspired. There's actually a lot of imagery in the movie which could have been used instead - the costumes during the race, rubber dinghy rapids, the puffin site, the bomb-crow (which they actually did use for the official poster) and the other wacky plots, and so on. Or maybe they could've taken terrorist imagery as a starting point - there's a scene where Waj is recording one of those 'we blew this up here are our reasons for doing so' videos but he has a comically small AK-47 replica in his hands. Maybe do something with those playing cards with terrorist-faces on them the Americans used? Or riff on the media coverage. Or why not the 'here are four normal guys just doing normal guy stuff - but they're also terrorists!' angle? Basically, there are a lot of possibilities here to make this an interesting - and maybe even funny - poster and they missed them all for this lazy piece of poo poo. I don't even mind the calligraphy because as a Mondo poster, it doesn't need to draw instant attention to the title. It's just that everything else about it is bad.

So I repeat: It's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

westborn posted:

All of this pretty much boils down to "it's a bad promotional piece". But no matter what you think about Mondo, most of their stuff, like that one, is artwork made for existing fans of movies, not advertising media to promote those movies. They're not trying to sell the movie, they try to sell the poster itself.
I think criticisms like the fact that it's ugly, lazy and uninspired are strikes against it even if it only tries to sell itself. And let's say you're a fan and you want a poster - do you want something that actually reflects something from this film or will you settle for a big red thing? I mean, if you find that aesthetically pleasing you're wrong then that's fine, but even then you can't honestly think that poster is anything more than mediocre, right?

Do you know why I prefer the original poster (even though it's not that great)? Because it represents the essence from the film perfectly - it's a film about idiots who want to do a terrorism and the dumb ideas they have. Like attaching a bomb to a crow. What the film isn't about, however, is what I assume is a prayer mat and four heraldic lions - one with a fuse. Even for a piece of memorabilia, that doesn't really work.