Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Really late to the party but the OP is freaking awesome, best I've seen in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh Snakes on a Plane, you've taught us all a valuable lesson.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Batman and Robin, to this day, is one of the single worst movies I have ever had the displeasure of making it all the way through.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Liar posted:

Has this cartoonish mockery of a poster made it in the thread yet?

It was in the last thread, think the consensus was it is a great poster for a video game, okay poster for a movie, and worst tagline of a real movie this year.

Just screams calculated and formulaic.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No. Because I saw Howard the Duck in the theater and for that he must burn in hellfire for eternity.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wasn't the ME262A the first jet if I remember correctly? Are we to believe he is chasing down a jet with a prop plane? I don't really know planes but that seems silly.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^^^edit: WTF literally seconds. Fuuuuu

Woman In Black got a good review today in Variety.

To contribute, I like Elizabeth Banks but I abhor Jennifer Lopez and Cameron Diaz and this tagline make me physically ill.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

davidspackage posted:

It's getting old to say stuff like this, but what hosed up idiot saw a photo of Elizabeth Banks and said "let's make that hag into a BEAUTY QUEEN! Filters > Melt face"

Aside from that, I get the idea of making character posters since it has a lot of big names, but none of the quotes are either funny or tell you anything about the character.

I want to be clear here, are you saying Elizabeth Banks looks like a hag or is that 1st person?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

That's pretty gross.

I mean, it's effective and I get what they were going for, but ew.

When I saw this the first time I thought, well that's pretty clever, that's also something pretty much every adult deals with and instantly recognizes.

Then I tried to describe it to my boss and when I said the words outloud "It's the title Shame spelled out on a girl's back in cum" I realized that this poster is pretty much filth.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We named the DOG Indiana!

BTW who can lend me a child so I can have an excuse to watch this?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jedit posted:

Dave Gibbons. A sound bloke, and one whose legacy should not be marred by Comic Sans.

Or the inane rantings of Alan Moore.

edit: Or the inane rantings of Frank Miller.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 27, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's what it is, when you stop making profitable and quality sequels you reboot. That's the new blueprint.

See Batman, Spiderman, X-Men, Superman (getting a new reboot next year).

I predict a Punisher reboot and a Spawn reboot next.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I always thought Henry Rollins should have been cast as the Punisher. He's too old now though.

Anyway, Spawn is only a "Will Smith is interested" away from getting greenlit.

Spawn is horrible by the way and any film would be horrible. I'm just saying.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dillbag posted:

And just imagine a Cape Fear-era DeNiro as Wolverine...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wolverine was a reboot of sorts and first class was a reboot since Wolverine disappointed. I mean I liked it. But yeah X Men 3 (read: Brett Ratner) caused that. I didn't see X Men 3 and I didn't see Spiderman 3 which I felt was in my best interest. I saw Superman Returns but I guess he didn't Superman Return. I have this amazing plan I just made up to reboot Crow. It stars Adam Levine as the Crow and Christina Aguilera plays herself as the villain. They both do Joy Division covers involving dubstep. Katie Perry plays an extra terrestrial with a heart of gold but Russel Brand's part ends up on the cutting room floor based on focus group approval rating of 13%.

Somebody kill me I'm through the looking glass.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sharking hot Inuit tail of course.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rob Lowe rocks and I'd see ten movies with him before I'd see anything with Chazz Palminteri.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Whoops, sorry, missed that the lamb was actually called Judah. That's just confusing as hell. The lamb is still Jesus though, right?

Pretty sure the story is going to be about the lamb was set up to be sacrificed but because of Jesus' sacrifice he doesn't need to be. As in the practice of sacrificing a lamb for Passover being replaced by Jesus in Christian theology.

edit: please post that horse face some more, not being sarcastic. Also that creepy female dragon is wearing a sportsbra I think.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Desperado Bones posted:

The first poster makes it look like a drama,probably the dog dies, or is injured, or they have to put it down, you know what I'm talking about*. Second one like it's a funny movie about a dog doing wacky things during the war, with lots of fart jokes.

*I haven't seen this movie, so it's not a spoiler.

I haven't seen it either but if you don't cry when they have to saw off the dog's leg to keep gangrene from spreading well you just have no soul.

It is pretty funny seeing him trying to load his gun with paws, especially since someone is charging him. I won't spoil what happens.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Johnny Digital posted:

Is this another case of not pointing a gun at the audience? Because she looks like she's aiming behind her somewhere, or showing everyone how nice her gun is.

Most certainly. I may have mentioned this before but in Pasadena and Philadelphia and a few other markets you can't have the guns at all.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dillbag posted:

What's weirder: old timey ray gun dildo or Maggie Gyllenhaal McPlasticFace?

This looks like a cross between Secretary and The Road to Wellville.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

penismightier posted:

I've never seen The Crow,

You should rectify this. The first Crow is really badass kind of in the vein of, oh, the first Blade. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The sequels are an abomination.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Plus The Crow has music like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyr5WdrEvGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhCWvBwpsJY

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

penismightier posted:

Yeah so The Crow is loving awful. It's like Spawn but somehow worse. Still might see the third one to satisfy my Dunst-love.

Haha I was thinking about this last night after I recommended it. I was thinking, you know, I haven't actually SEEN the Crow since I was 17 in 1994. I wonder if I should have been so hasty?

Still stand by the soundtrack though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Crow had an 83% fresh rating on release in its defense.

edit: even if Brandon Lee did not.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

User-Friendly posted:

Presented without comment.

We left the dog home alone and he's only 49 in dog years!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Take him back to the Burn Unit?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

AndyP posted:

Nice to see QR Code getting more work. Always thought he was an underrated actor.

QR Code is the most popular actor going right now. He's in everything.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

No, you're right Warner Brothers. That's way too classy.

Ah, now that's better.

I know everyone hates floating heads for some reason but there is nothing wrong with this Blu-ray cover.

Why do people want to keep using the same old design when you can create new ones?

I like showing the other two stars in this. By the way, it is MGM not Warner Bros.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It might be distributed internationally by Warner Bros. since, you know, MGM is out-sourcing most of that poo poo since they are a failed piece of poo poo studio with no money and only a library to sustain them (I used to work for them), in fact most of their domestic distribution is done by Fox.

But that doesn't mean the WB creatives designed their Blu-ray cover. I actually don't know for sure, that is a different building altogether but I'm pretty sure WB didn't have anything to do with that. You are right though, that is a better, more cinematic cover.

Sir Lemming posted:

I see no need to create a new one.

For international they might have an agenda like, showing a Native American's face and a woman's face rather than just having Kevin Costner's (fading) brand carry it alone. I'm sure there is a lot of research to support the decision, and I'm not even saying it is the right decision.

I still like it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

The only logic behind it seems to be "argh, this old thing will never sell the way it is, we need something more hip and current!" which of course is the archetypal bad-reason-to-do-a-thing in any artistic endeavor.

I have bad news for you in regards to "artistic endeavors" vs. "movie marketing"

This is an artistic endeavor:

This is bait in order to sell you on an idea for the purpose of making money.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

There's plenty of examples of movies that manage to achieve both those goals. Just because there's a distinction doesn't mean we can't call out lazy crap when we see it.

That's totally fine, and most of the creatives at least on the major studio side try their very best to generate quality. But the question was why when you have a perfectly good cover would you make a new one, I'm just trying to answer that question.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Opinions about the cover itself aside, I think I can blame the actual publisher (ie Warner Bros.) for the cover with which they release their movie, thanks.

Let's not confuse publisher and distributor. Like I said I don't know for sure who did this but this is an MGM library film distributed by WB. Usually that means the studio who owns the film would determine their own marketing strategy, all WB would do is send it through their established channels to physically get the disc over-seas. But like I said I don't know for sure because MGM might have fired everybody capable of creating a cover at this point, they've practically fired everybody else.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 16, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Well, that would mean I jumped the gun and came across like a jerk. So. Yeah. :colbert:

Not at all, hope I didn't.

Incidentally, I was just thinking how people in advertising might convince themselves that what they are creating is art.

It occurred to me what Vincent Van Gogh might think if he was alive and saw that Midnight in Paris poster.

I'm thinking suicide bombing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

"Oh thank god thank god does this mean I'll get money for food so I don't starve to death???" Is more what I'm thinking.

This is probably accurate.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Guy Pearce was in the Best Picture last year, just saying.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Plus, he shows up in The Road.

And he's in friggin Prometheus so I think it's safe to say reports of his career's death have been greatly exaggerated.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Flypaper and Three Musketeers it looks like.

Also, this is a really lovely Aliens cover:

Jurassic Planet.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

It immediately reminded me of Pink Floyds 'Meddle' album, which is a ear receiving sound waves underwater.

You have no idea how many drunken/smoked out moments I had in college trying to figure out what the gently caress that was.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

By the way I just saw The Artist for the second time and if anybody hasn't seen it, you'll want to see it in the theater.

It is so fantastic and I'll be blown away if it doesn't get best picture. I love Peppy oh so much.

:heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

WebDog posted:

This also explains why people don't fit with light sources as the shoot calls for flat lighting so we can move around the lead and supporting cast and try our best to cheat with the dodge and burn tools.

Unless, of course, your film is Tower Heist then just...gently caress it!

Great post btw.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 3, 2012