Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Looks like a poster for a show on the CW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This rules.

It's also not a real movie, so don't get your hopes up.

Thank god that it's not real, because Ron Howard would poo poo all over that and make his usual mass market crap.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

AndyP posted:

That looks absolutely nothing like JGL.

It's because he is actually wearing makeup to look like a younger Bruce Willis. This was not an accident.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bugblatter posted:

Is it not a problem that Koreans don't look that much like the Chinese? I mean, maybe they do to midwestern Americans, but if the change was made to regain the Chinese market, I would think that would be an issue?

Well, actually, one of my friends was an extra in the movie, and she was born in South Korea!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Mister Chief posted:

Poor Michael Hoffman.

Why poor Michael Hoffman? The Coen Brothers actually did write the film, and looking at Hoffman's filmography, he doesn't really have anything too impressive in there to warrant him having credit over the Coen brothers. They would be draws to film. The director of One Fine Day starring George Clooney and Michelle Pfeiffer would not.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

zenintrude posted:

Jeremy Piven? Whyyyyy??

The guy has a pretty serious coke habit. He's probably blowing (no pun intended) through that Entourage money pretty quickly.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

kiimo posted:

That's disappointing if unsurprising. How might you know this? Just curious.

Aside from generic tabloid fodder, I also have friends who have met him on different occasions, and each time they said he was coked out of his mind.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rahonavis posted:

(On a sadder note, it also made me wish Dreamworks had the stones to make this their first traditional film since "Sinbad". Ah well...)

You're asking a pile of dog crap to produce gold encrusted emeralds to give to your mother.

Dreamworks animation will never make a good film. Based on their history. Even their one film that people say is actually good, How to Train Your Dragon, was still pretty bad, just slightly better than most of their crap.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

GonSmithe posted:

:psyduck:

What the hell are you going on about? Prince of Egypt, Road to El Dorado, Chicken Run, Shrek, Over the Hedge, Kung Fu Panda 1 & 2, Megamind and How to Train Your Dragon are all good movies in-and-of themselves.

How to Train Your Dragon is probably their best, and just because you didn't like it (or anything by Dreamworks, apparently), doesn't mean that "people just say they're good but actually they're bad."

I'm sorry Dreamworks fired you and then killed your dog, but seriously dude.

No, Dreamworks films are made to appeal to the lowest common denominator. See Antz, Shrek 1-4 and its numerous spin-offs, Shark Tale, Madagascar 1-3 and its numerous spin-offs, Bee Movie, Monsters vs Aliens, and your aforementioned Over the Hedge, Kung Fu Panda, Megamind, and How to Train Your Dragon. Their films rely on stunt celebrity casting and quickly dated pop culture references. And, the only connection Chicken Run had to Dreamworks was that they distributed it. It was produced by Aardman studios.

And this cartoon that everybody has seen a dozen times but is still relevant to any discussion about Dreamworks:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Please, tell me the "stunt casting" and "dated pop culture references" in How to Train your Dragon.

While I would argue that Kristen Wiig, who I normally love, brought absolutely nothing to her role, you're right that How to Train Your Dragon did not rely on these elements. Dreamworks seemed to really make an effort to break their usual mold there. My problem with that movie is that as I was watching it, I found it completely predictable, and yet 6 months after watching it, I remember very little about the film. I just thought it was really dull.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Farbtoner posted:

I'm too lazy but you could totally reverse that nowadays. Have the upper one be stuff like "A supervillian wins and then realizes how empty life is without a purpose!" and the bottom one be "Uhh...we took the characters from the good movies we made a decade ago, and now they're, like, in spy movies and college movies and stuff...and there's a princess movie, I guess..."

Yeah, Pixar really messed up with Cars. It started out as a dream project of Andrew Stanton, and it turned out to be their worst film by far. But, it turned out to be wildly popular with little boys, and the merchandising was extremely profitable. I gave Cars 2 a shot because I liked that they took the movie in a different direction, but it turned out to be even worse than the first one.

The prequel to Monsters Inc, we'll see. I love the original, but it was definitely not something that needed another chapter in its story. It was a complete story to begin with, and this prequel is just unnecessary.

As for Brave, I haven't seen it yet. I just couldn't get anyone to go see it in the theatre with me. Looks like it comes out on DVD in a few weeks, so we'll see.

Who knows. Maybe the golden age of Pixar is over.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Aphrodite posted:

Kristen Wiig isn't a draw, though. She's usually the opposite.

At the time, no. Whatever she does next though, post-Bridesmaids, is going to get a lot of attention. And, a quick look at IMDB, How to Train Your Dragon 2 is on there. Expect her character to have a much meatier role in the new one.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Mister Chief posted:

Cars is entirely a John Lasseter thing.

My bad. You're right.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Written and directed by Louis C.K.!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

tliil posted:

Then Leonardo Dicaprio and Matt Damon both got fat and started playing dad roles... what happened... :reject:

Well, to be fair, Matt Damon never looked like that except for The Talented Mr Ripley. He lost 30 pounds for that role, if I remember correctly, by eating nothing but one chicken breast a day and exercising a lot. And he purposely gained weight for The Informant.

And he's 42 now.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Vagabundo posted:

More Burt Wonderstone posters

"Maxwell Lord posted:

The one with Olivia Wilde sold me on the movie. Because rawr.

See, I don't understand the appeal of her. Maybe its because I'm gay, but to me she seems only be technically pretty. Add to that, she seems to really bring nothing to whatever roles I have seen her in.

I just don't understand why she is all of a sudden a big name.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Darthemed posted:

Which is all well and good, except the Japanese version still kills it.

if anyone can find a bigger copy of this one, please post it

Apparently its called 3 Ghosts in Japan.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

I would have liked this better if they had used the actual logo for the name instead of Helvetica bullshit.

I'm just sick of seeing deviantart posted here in place of actual movie posters.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

GrandpaPants posted:

Segal's Muppets movie seemed sincere, this one just feels like a cash-in, but I'll be damned if Ty Burrell isn't perfect casting.

One of the writers on this one was also a writer on the last one as well.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Instead of a trilogy they should just make indvidual movies with smaller stories set in the Star Wars universe. A film noir on Coruscant, a western on Tatooine, blaxploitation in Cloud City starring that guy with the icecream machine.

They're doing exactly that. There is talk of them doing origin stories for characters like Han Solo, Boba Fett, and Yoda. There is also a rumor of them doing a Seven Samurai style movie with 7 Jedi trying to defend a planet from attack. They basically want to put out one Star Wars movie a year.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The MSJ posted:

Probably not a hippy movie.

The first one was cute, but I'm not really sure why it necessitates a sequel. I hear it was a big hit in the UK?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Saturniid19 posted:

Poorly photoshopped heads, you say?

Same guy as the one from the left. Mark Addy.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

Those Star Wars posters are nice, but

:spergin: Since Episode VII takes place 30 years after Jedi, the movie probably wouldn't be dealing with such an immediate aftermath of the events of the original trilogy.

Based on the leaks from the set of Episode VII, which of course have not been substantiated at all:

The movie starts with a hand grasping a lightsaber falling into a desert planet. Two of the new characters find it, and take it to Han Solo who recognizes the lightsaber as Luke's from Empire Strikes Back. Han and Chewie are now piloting a Super Star Destroyer, with Han's son piloting the Millennium Falcon. Luke hasn't been seen since the Battle of Endor, and the movie sees the characters going to rescue Luke from wherever he is being held captive. And, Emperor Palpatine is now a force ghost apparently, and is pulling the strings from behind the scenes.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CaptainHollywood posted:

I didn't think it was possible but they just released a new poster for Seventh Son. I want to see it even less. This is going to be bomb worse than I Frankestein.

Oh drat. Wasn't that supposed to come out last year? This delayed release can't bode well, despite the cast.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

I really, really wanted to like the Hobbit movies. I actually do enjoy the first. But the 2nd one was so loving soulless. It was drab, nearly joyless, and just so god drat boring for most of it. It was like someone who hated the Lord of the Rings movies trying to make a Lord of the Rings movie, and only capturing the things that they disliked about them, amplified by an order of magnitude. The Hobbit movies make me sad that they exist.

The really strange thing is, I didn't really care for the first one all that much. SO, you would think that I wouldn't like the Extended Edition, since the movie already felt so bloated. But the extra scenes took what was a bloated mess, really balanced it out, and made it an enjoyable movie.

The second one I liked better than the first on it's own, but I was bothered by just about everything involving Legolas. I'm curious to see if the EE makes it better like with the first.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
They took a chance in Charlie with Johnny Depp's bizarre Michael Jackson impression for his role as Willy Wonka, and it failed, hard. Just because Jack Sparrow worked doesn't mean that we should fully accept his artistic vision every single time.

Alice was atrocious. I'm shocked that they are making a sequel, because it seemed like it was on Netflix just a month after being out in theaters.

I'd contend that aside from Big Fish, the last good movie Tim Burton made was Sleepy Hollow.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

lelandjs posted:

So Netflix had a fan contest to design the cover for the DVD release of Arrested Development Season 4. No points for guessing what style the winning design went with:

It's not the worst example of minimalism, and to be fair I guess it accurately represents the season: all the characters became near-charactures of themselves and were reduced to just a few of their basic traits that set them apart, which were then exaggerated beyond belief.

(I actually liked Season 4).

Will this DVD feature the new cut that Mitch Hurwitz is doing to edit all the storylines back together?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

Do we know how long that cut's going to be? With all the reused footage I'm going to guess somewhere between 2 and 3 hours.

I don't think so, but I suspect it will be at least a couple of episodes shorter for that very reason. I think originally they planned on there being only 10 episodes in the first place, but expanded it to the 13 or 14 we got because there was so much footage.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The Dark Tower is going to be an interesting adaptation not because it's complicated (it's not, he doesn't do a whole lot of world building, he just likes to show a lot of weird poo poo), but because they'll likely completely change the events of the last three books. I was just rereading them, and wow, those last three are just absolutely ridiculous, and that eraser at the very end there is the most anticlimactic poo poo I've ever seen.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

zenintrude posted:

Brody did The Brothers Bloom.

Brody wins.

He's also been in two Wes Anderson films. That's certainly something.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

monster on a stick posted:

At least Peter Dinklage is in it, so you know he will be phoning it in for the paycheck giving a good performance.

We'll see

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

corn in the bible posted:

boyhood sucked but it was amusing seeing them film their boring plod of a movie in my old highschool

e: Trancers is amazing, and it got a bluray release recently. Beautifully shot fight scene with a santa and a blade runner

The movie was amazing, and I don't even normally like Richard Linklater.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Skwirl posted:

Wait, Mr. and Mrs. Smith isn't terrible?

It is. This is the first I've heard otherwise.

I also don't understand the appeal of Angelina Jolie. She does not have the best track record with picking starring roles. But they mysteriously still make money, so she keeps getting work.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

Not particularly, I don't think. Sony wants/wanted to create their own shared universe with Spider-Man, ignoring the fact that when you only have one series, it's a loving franchise with spin-offs, not a shared universe.

Latest rumors have it that Spiderman is going to be returning to the Marvel Universe fold. A deal has apparently been made between Sony and Disney, but there hasn't been any word on what those details consist of other the following: the original plan was to have Spiderman appear in Captain America 3: Civil War, but it's too late for that, so he will be making his first appearance in The Avengers 3.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sleeveless posted:

Even when his serious stuff didn't do well he was always able to make up for it by doing crowd-pleasers and generally being charismatic. I think what did him in is that he torpedoed his career trying so hard to build a dynasty with Jaden and he never really recovered from it.

I think much like Tom Cruise, the American public is having a serious case of Scientology fatigue with Will Smith.

Both are still big international draws, even if they both keep pumping out flop after flop over the last few years. (The Edge of Tomorrow is an awesome movie though).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Mister Chief posted:

You guys really ought to watch the Walt trailer. It looks like a fake movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaOZiu-hnTM

I wonder if they'll feature his rabid anti-semitism.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I Before E posted:

I'm holding out a little hope because the director did Down With Love, which is one of my favorite movies, but yeah, probably gonna be mediocre.

Yeah, it was decent enough to watch on an airplane.

That movie's main problem was that it wasn't sure what it wanted to be, a spoof or an homage.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Apparently I've seen things with Jai Courtney, but I still have no clue who the gently caress he is.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DrVenkman posted:

The most annoying thing about 'Scream Queens' is that Murphy honestly seems to believe he's inventing a new genre called the Comedy-Horror. Like, he legitimately indicated that it had never been done before.

I can hate on Murphy just as much as other people, but has he actually said something that indicates this?

This reminds me of HBO's Looking. It's about a group of three gay friends and their experiences dating in San Francisco. Somehow, some people got into their head that the producers of the show were looking to create a show to portray the experiences of all queer people, even though the producers never said anything of the sort. And then, guess what. People were LIVID when they didn't see their own experience on the show. Even when the producers tried to address some concerns that some people had by adding some new cast members in the second season, the response of these critics was "Well, that's a start, but you still have not fulfilled your promise." Their promise, that they never actually made...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DrVenkman posted:

It's from the press release but this article mentions it:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2014/10/20/glees-ryan-murphy-thinks-he-just-invented-comedy-horror

I thought that maybe they've just mis-read the press release. So I found the actual quote:

So yes, Murphy seems to have no memory of ever seeing the plethora of movies and TV shows that fall under comedy-horror.

Ha! I stand corrected! He's ignoring the fact that this is a whole genre going back decades.