Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Denzel has been in some seriously egregious poo poo.

That tag line though.

Sorry if this has been posted in the last hundred pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Since it's been established by science that it's the most bad rear end movie of all time, it's suiting that Escape From New York had a ton of great posters.

I love that almost all 80s near future dystopias were set in 1997. The Japanese artwork is swell too.

As seems to be the case generally.

The Crazies sees a rare instance of a film having better artwork than it deserves.

I remember saving this image about two years before Shaun Of The Dead came out. It's a shame none of the actual promotional material went this route.

joedevola fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 3, 2012

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Jedit posted:

Yeah, Morricone modelled his score for The Thing on Carpenter's own scores for previous movies so that it would have a consistent feel. There's a hell of a lot of Assault on Precinct 13 in it, if you listen.

Yeah, if you're familiar with Carpenter's work at all it almost sounds like a parody Carpenter score.

bom bom bom bom.... bom.

Repeat for entire movie.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Given that the Golden era for most superhero titles remains the 60s I'd like to see just one movie go full on 60s bonkers.

X-Men First Class was sort of almost kind of close, but not nearly wacky enough.

I want to see a Grant Morrison style psychedelic messiah Superman, not more of this dreary brooding poo poo.

Hnn.

Here's a movie poster tho

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Hey, look, a movie poster I like:

That poster has more going than a lot of full movies. drat.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

IIRC, Aronofsky also apparently acquired the remake rights for Perfect Blue as well.

My understanding is he had to in order to use that shot.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

All the talk about Pacific Rim makes me feel like it's some nerd poo poo that completely passed me by. Is it something to do with the Power Rangers or what?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

So it's not an adaptation of a previously existing work, is what I'm asking. The way everyone is on it's dick made it seem like it was.

It looks like fun but I wish Hollywood would just let del Toro make his version of At The Mountains Of Madness. If only to see how he handles the story's insanely racist themes.

On topic:

Good art for a good movie

Decent art for an awful movie

And I dunno...

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Somehow this movie isn't a parody.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

The MSJ posted:

And I noticed the face just now.

Ey up?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

WickedIcon posted:

Hold on a sec.

e:

e2: gently caress, beaten and much better-looking too. :negative:

Actually it would have to look something like this.

Even with the chart the movie is still baffling to me.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Opinions?

I don't hate it.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Robert Denby posted:

Came up in conversation recently... these are two of my favorite taglines ever.

I'll get back to you when I finish reading it...

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Why's there a bunch of junk on there in Korean? I could sound it out but the hell if I know what it means.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I thought it was good, despite devoting alot of screen time to horrendous hatchet and knife combat. If Korea is anything like Korean movies everyone must have hepatitis by now from the lakes of blood.

Sadly it's not. Sharp suited kung fu vendettas are vastly over represented in Korean cinema, compared to the number of instances you happen upon on the street.

I recommend A Bittersweet Life though. If you accept the twist, it's a very fun movie.

Twist: It's all a day dream.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

I'm on board with the minimalist hate, but this made me chuckle.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

I had the exact opposite impression of the original from y'all. I assumed that the kid was gonna end up like the dude at the beginning, that the girl had been doing the same thing for centuries; getting a little boy to fall in love with her and then using him for a few decade before moving on.

That's what I took from it as well, but I'm a pessimist.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Mondo sale today for the Criterion Repo Man posters, one of them is glow in the dark.

This is fantastic. I really need to rewatch Repo Man.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Robert Denby posted:

And speaking of "Glengary Glenn Ross", this is the poster that advertized it initially. It looks like its for a totally different movie if only because its so bright and colorful while the movie is drab and takes place almost entirely at night.

Jesus, that's as misleading as it gets.

And why are his arms gigantic?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

I've never heard this tagline, it's pretty good.

I just like this. You see the collage look a lot in Japanese posters of a certain age.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

I know you guys love Mondo posters so I thought that I'd let you know I just sold one of mine that I didn't particularly like but only cost $30.

$400 USD. :shrug:

What a loving mess. I like Spaced more than most things and I'm not sure what most of that poo poo even relates to.

Why is there a DeLorean and a T-Rex skull there?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Erebus posted:

Something about this feels like it should be the backglass to a bad pinball machine.

Amazing. I must have seen the MST3K version of this film a dozen times and I hope I never tire of it.

So those floor cleaner things were supposed to fly? Looks like they've thrown a good railing deaths in there too.

True to the movie, A Good Poster.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Does anyone know where I can get bigger-ish resolution copies of those mental Polish movie posters from the 70s-90s.

I drunkenly volunteered to host a pub quiz night and I think figuring out what loving movie some of those posters is for would be a good head scratcher.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Robert Denby posted:

Try Cinemasterpieces....

This is exactly what I needed thanks. It'll either be the best movie round of a pub quiz ever or everyone will hate me and pelt me with pretzels.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Slate Action posted:

They don't even do that since their fists are closed. It's more like they're doing the black power sign with both hands.

I always thought it was more like they were going "YAAAAAAY"

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

It definitely sounds South African.

SHADDAP BLEK!

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

I've never really been convinced to go see a movie just by a poster. Then I saw this in the subway...

Oh god.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

I'm hosting another pub quiz tomorrow and because I have 0 original ideas I'm gonna do another movie poster round. I saw some movie posters recreated in clipart so I decided to try that. I'm worried they're all too easy...

EDIT: one more

joedevola fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 13, 2013

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Again... too easy right?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Woebin posted:

Probably too easy, I could figure it out from the thumbnail and I'm not even very good at movie posters. I dunno how hard a pub quiz is supposed to be though.
(also possessive "its" does not use an apostrophe, in case there are any grammar nazis at the pub quiz you want to impress)

VVV Seedge has a good point, they're certainly fun if not necessarily challenging.

I'm an English teacher by profession, so thanks for spotting that.

Last time I did it the highest score was 15 out of 30, so I'm leaning towards easier questions this time.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

The clip art movie posters were too easy, but everyone seemed to enjoy them, so I'm gonna call it a win.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Sheldrake posted:

Because I'm sure we all need to see a few good posters, here's every Saul Bass designed poster. in one convenient location.

I agree with Kubrick, that Shining poster is Not Very Good.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

westborn posted:

Great poster and I think it's been mentioned before that it might have been inspired by this one:

For all the powerful imagery in that movie, that's a pretty tame poster.

The DVD cover is ugly but it gets the point across.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

It looks like the cover of Issue #1 of the inevitable Dark Horse comic adaptation of the movie.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Hell yeah.

More on topic.

Why is it a little Japanese text makes everything look cooler?

Anyway, holding out for a King Gidorah cameo. DOOM on the soundtrack.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Someday I'm gonna make my way through this progression of completely unrelated films.

Tesis is really good.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

The MSJ posted:

New Transformers: AoE poster.

Terrance Mailck has been busy lately.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Bit late to the party, I posted this in the wrong thread last night.

Anyone interested in Nollywood has to check out Sinners In The House.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDvsOTJEy7k

Credited as the first Nollywood movie shot in Germany, thanks to about 40 seconds of footage shot in Berlin on someone's phone.

A sequel is teased at the end but I haven't been able to track it down yet :(

The Blackberry Babes series is worth a look too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3rAItM0lMw

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Women sure seem to like being naked in the snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

ShufflerZero posted:

Mission Kill (1986)

Oh God.

Cameron Mitchell as a central American dictator? I need this movie in my life.