Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are you sure that isn't one of those terrible covers they give to every novel ever when they get a movie adaptation? The blurb at the top gives the impression. That and the original writer was mentioned at all.

Definitely fits the thread though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

DarkSol posted:

I really enjoy The Black Hole as a film, even though it has a few problems here and there. It is one of the very first science fiction films I had ever seen, if not the very first, and the whole premise itself stuck with me. And I enjoy Killian Eng's style a lot. (I have his Jodorowsky's Dune poster, and need to get his Argo poster as well.)
The ending to The Black Hole is insane and when I found out it was a Disney film years later I think I probably went "no loving way".

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I remember Pete's Dragon as being one of those weird Disney movies they made back in the seventies, along with the Leprechaun one with a very young Sean Connery, and errr the one with the old woman and the pirate ghost? It seems looking back they were flailing around with live-action integrated with cartoons and at one end of the spectrum you had Bedknobs and Broomsticks and at the other end you had Pete's Dragon et al.

The Black Hole I remember was some other thing entirely where on the one hand it started as kind of a Lost In Space-style sci-fi adventure. But then about halfway through maybe it turns downright Faustian as you find out whoops the crazed doctor made his underlings by ripping their faces off and replacing their heads with circuitry, and his robot companion (who's big and sharp and red, the opposite of the harmless friendly robots the heroes have) is basically Mephistopheles and even the main bad guy is scared of him. Then the finale was the main characters all dying and going to heaven, while the antagonist is forced to spend eternity in hell inside his robotic enforcer's body, stood atop a burning mountain as the damned parade below him. Not "oh hey the bad guy tripped and plummeted into the flames!" like Hunchback or "he fell and came to an off-sceen and nonspecific but definitely final" fate like Up or Tarzen or whatever, it's pretty drat explicit where he is.

I come from a very religious household so yeah that film left an impression.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 9, 2014

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

DarkSol posted:

Cool stuff.
Man that is some pretty heavy stuff. Black Hole isn't something I really want to revisit since I know the second time around won't be anywhere near as good you know? Might change my mind now. Had no idea Touchstone had anything to do with Disney so I guess that tactic worked! Looking through the wiki entry there's more stuff there too, including apparently a Jack Kirby adaptation(!) and they developed a whole camera system for it.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the remake if it doesn't get stuck in development hell. Albeit that was announced in like 2009 so it may already be tooooo laaaaaaate.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Harlock posted:

I like it. Colorful. Although, are people really that dumb that they have to say "From the studio that brought you The Avengers?"
Yes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is Sorcerer as good as its posters make it look?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Those are really good and I hope they do the rest of the districts. Also I wonder if that's actually a real wooden prosthetic or just a hunk of painted plastic, 'cause there are few things more beautiful than polished wood and if I was that guy I would totally ask to keep it if it was.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Oh my God.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That's Natalie Dorner right? (edit; yes) She always looks best when she looks like she's trying to kill someone.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Where did the legend of "Stephen King short stories make bad movies" come from anyway? There's the Mangler yeah, and there was a miniseries on The Langoliers that was pretty laughable. But Storm of the Century was passable-to-good and Kubrick's Shining is fantastic.

Is it just because he hands out the rights to his stuff to film students on the cheap? That isn't really his fault and is pretty laudable besides.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

TetsuoTW posted:

Unless you ask King, apparently.
Yeah I know the story but I've never seen the miniseries he made to counteract it. Apparently it's pretty bad.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Gettin' kind of a Jack Black-vibe from that facial hair.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It had a dance party at the end though. Has any movie ever successfully pulled that off except Shrek? Really asking.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I return to find I have been shamed by my lack of dance-party knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
"Good fukkin' riddence", said the rest of England.