Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ez posted:

I like this one because even before I scrolled down enough to see the title I knew exactly what movie it was. I didn't realize that shirt/suspenders/tie combo was so iconic.

True, but I think even there, there's a missed opportunity there to do something thematic with the poster. It bucks the obnoxious trend of just picking one non-representative image from the film and making a poster out of it, though. You may be able to pick up something to do with the "square" corporate atmosphere from the presence of the suspenders, or perhaps the claustrophobic framing, so at least it works on some level beyond most.

However, it's much more iconic for someone who has seen the film, overall most of what it tells outsiders is essentially "this movie takes place in an office where people wear ties" - which you essentially already get from the title. Something that simply and cleverly conveys the idea of being stuck in a corporate hell would be much more appropriate and interesting. Or being a faceless cog in a machine, or having an oppressive amount of red tape between you and any decision, etc.

It seems like these aren't things that 99% of those designers think of when making these.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Maarak posted:

This was the original poster:

It fits the intended tone of the film perfectly, is iconic, and would have gotten me way more excited for the film that the dreck in your post.

Agreed, though I'm not as down on the other poster as you. Both are supposed to show that the films are pulpy and fun - the same deal with the dubstep TV spot. I just wish the film sounded like it achieved that better so I'd actually be interested in seeing it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Can we quit it with this? Lucas had involvement in this film yes, but that's not an evil thing. Yes, he made some lame Star Wars movies. Get over it.

I live in the dream world where this is at least a close-to probatable offense.

Here is Star Wars: several really solid, fan-worthy films, followed by several very disappointing films. Done. End. Let's just... agree to that and move on.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

e:
Found some pictures, they are pretty small but that also means they turned out to be a lot cheaper then I expected:

All except the Jaws one, which is the only one that doesn't completely scream hopeless geek. Though it's not like I'm above that, I would pay whatever I needed to if they made ones for old B movies. Attack of the 50 Foot Woman like that? The Land that Time Forgot? Those would be incredible.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is incredible. I almost want to buy it as an avatar, and I have avatars turned off.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

couldcareless posted:

I hope she has a new outfit on for every scene change.

New outfit for every shot.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

Here is the original poster for More American Graffiti:

And here is the DVD cover:

It looks like a pamphlet handed out at the funeral for some kids who died in an illegal street race.

And for no purpose whatsoever. Aside from Ron Howard, by the time the DVD came out so few people even know who any one of the other floating heads is.

e: Also, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate the Talking Box joke on the previous page.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
To me his expression is more resentment, glaring out at the Batman fans thinking "You people made me do this."

bobkatt013 posted:

I really can not wait for next weeks How did this get made whne they discuss that movie.

If they could get Joel Schumacher on to defend it or apologize for it that would be the best thing in the universe period.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

Or Bale could have just worn white contact lenses.

Not for the first film he couldn't. Batman not being able to turn both his neck and his eyes would be a disaster.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

There are lots of golden moments in Flyin' Ryan, but my favorite part has to be where he foils some bullies by tossing some tennis balls in a gazebo.

We should really have a thread about the bizarre VHS tapes we found in the video store as youths. Flyin Ryan was a constant joke amongst my friends and I, but I never knew it was this bad.

Then again, most of my time at that store was spent renting Shaw Brothers films, so I did okay.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

That's from The Lost World if I remember the scene correctly where Vince Vaughn looks at the mural in the derelict place to call the Chopper and eyerolls at it.

It could have been re-used in TLW, but I'm almost certain it was in the dining hall in the first film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sockser posted:

What is the origin of that pose?
I see it all over the place and I'm sure it references some famous painting but the reference has always been lost.

Or did Vacation start it?

As far as I know it's just a general riff on Frank Frazetta:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 12, 2012

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

e: "I don't like this midnight meat train..."

This makes me wish that all films were forced to use their title in the film's dialogue, like "I'm just sick and tired of all these Star Wars." I can just see Christian Bale grunting out "The Dark Knight... Rises." as he's climbing out of the pit. Or, for that matter, Michael Caine having to say "So... Batman Begins!" when Wayne puts on the costume for the first time.

e: "Marion, cover your eyes. Don't look... at those Raiders of the Lost Ark!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Magic Love Hose posted:

"You're all... astronauts... on some kind of Star Trek."

First movie poster on this page!

This is no longer a joke. The next film is called Star Trek Into Darkness. Yes, that's a verb. I half expect it to show up in dialogue.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I too could only see Lithgow in it until I someone mentioned Walken and I realized that he looks a lot like the Hessian from Sleepy Hollow.

It's still much more Lithgow, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kiimo posted:

I hate Ryan's arm. The filmmakers demanded it. In fact I hate Ryan's image all together. That's the same one from the standee we teased before the theater shooting went down.

Looks like his jaw got beefed up quite a bit to square-ify it. Could just be the angle, lighting, or collateral damage from having to photoshop the hell out of it for other reasons, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

This poster is fantastic. It's sad that the standard theatrical poster was so mediocre.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

The stack left of them at NYCC was insane. They had little cubbies made for each poster, and I asked the guy if they all started full, and he said yes. Every other poster was about 1/2 gone or more on Saturday, the Treebeard ones were almost touching the top.

Well, I mean, who the hell wants a Treebeard poster, no matter how well designed?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I will never watch Plague Dogs because I don't want to be super sad about dogs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

By Bobby Breiðholt

This is terrible and is a great example of what's wrong with 99% of fan "minimalist" posters.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And the tire of the big rig, I believe. The lightning bolt being the magic? I's been a long time for me as well. If we, who have seen the movie, can barely remember, how the hell is someone who hasn't seen it supposed to get anything from that poster.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DNS posted:

To be fair, it was commissioned for a repertory screening - the kind of thing generally attended by people who will get the joke.

At least half the people commenting on the poster have seen the film and still barely know what the poster means, if they get it at all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have a degree in graphic design and I think his posters are balls.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Who the hell bought me an avatar and how long have I had this :psyduck:

e: I was under the impression that I didn't have an avatar. That's what I get for having them turned off I guess.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 20, 2012

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Haha amazing, thanks for that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
To be fair, they really downplay it in her makeup on 30 Rock.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
His arms are in more of an awkward position than Chris Evans's on the Captain America poster

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I can never decide what I like more.

80's movies where they go to the future and it's just the 80's with hovering stuff, and holograms.

80's movies where future people come to the 80's.

Or 80's movies where past people come to the 80's.

So you just really like BTTFII?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When saw the picture before reading the post, my first thought was "Hey! Good for you, Joshua Jackson."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fat Lou posted:

What is with his nametag? Is he illiterate? Will the other cops make fun of him? :ohdear:

It could be a reference to police obscuring their name tags when doing something illegal or immoral, similar to taping over them.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I don't just love you, I'm in love with you.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Pretty sure the Anonymous/4chan stuff has nothing to do with SA.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hey, look, a movie poster I like:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

joedevola posted:

That poster has more going than a lot of full movies. drat.

Some day when I'm a big Hollywood producer, I'm going to buy the rights to adapt old film posters into new movies, ignoring the bad B-movies themselves. I mean come on, adapting this could be incredible:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sgt_Grumbles posted:

This page needs more awful... this should do it.

In thumbnail that looks like a painted poster, like the box to a 90s Lucasarts adventure game.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Desperado Bones posted:

The way the font was put in this poster is making me cry!! :cry:

That's the point.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like it's supposed to be a lenticular poster.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

tliil posted:

The point of LOTR is that individual bravery counts for a lot more than who has the bigger army.

This is precisely what the poster is showing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
But the nice effect of the trees is totally drowned out by the billing names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

drat. Aside from the fact that it really bugs me when they recast a character for a sequel, I thought Owen was excellent in the first film. Then again, could do a lot worse than Brolin I guess.

Apparently the plot dictates the recasting.