Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

tliil posted:

Maybe there should be a movie trailer thread so we can discuss in-depth just how inappropriate 99% of trailer music is.

Like this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Also, Oblivion, starring Tom Cruise's giant head has a new poster.

Tom Cruise is currently in the process of falling on his face, if the Empire State building is to be believed

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 13, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What the gently caress :pwn:

I didn't realize that by 3D they meant 90s 3D video game cutscene.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Every time I see a poster or trailer for that film that has one of the giants in it, I am repulsed. Note to Brian Singer: that is not a good thing. I know that's what they're going for, but making people disgusted is not an effective strategy to get people into your film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jedit posted:

Another chess-themed poster for a chess-themed movie:

Thought that was Zachary Quinto at first.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Now that's a goddamn poster.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, the execution of the two posters may be similar but the concept couldn't be more different.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Do people really bring an extra pair of shorts and shoes for... heists or whatever?

I think the idea is that that's what the character brought to Spring Break, not to a heist.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vegetable posted:

So she brought a gun and knuckle dusters to Spring Break? That gets crazier, man.

I could be wrong, but from the trailer I got the impression that the girls are planning a heist so they can afford to go to their Spring Break location.

And what kind of person wouldn't want to bring brass knuckles to a heist?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MikeJF posted:

God, you're all so literal.

God, you're so figurative.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rahonavis posted:

Quick! Guess what movie this is supposed represent before you scroll down:

What is it about "Jurassic Park" that so many fan posters are terrible?

I think that's supposed to be funny. And it is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

twoot posted:

That is fan made

Are you sure? I saw several major movie sites post it earlier.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

futureproof posted:

Holy poo poo, Mama references?? Did they just write this movie a few months ago?

Weeks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Darthemed posted:

is it just me, or was 'TIT' drawn before the rest of the graffiti?

Fred Armisen?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

It's pretty remarkable how this clip strips out any and all context for his lines. It's literally just the shots of his lines with everything else cut out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wish Gosling had that haircut in Drive.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gonz posted:

There's no way time travel exists in the future, because if it did, my future self would have already gone back and prevented Foodfight from ever being made, with the help of an anti-paradox device.

You have no idea how the number of even worse films your future self had to prevent that he ran out of time to prevent Foodfight.

You have no idea because you can't imagine how bad they were. Because your future self sacrificed himself for us to save us from that knowledge.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Or time travelers are just coming back and making some of our films as awful as possible to gently caress with us. Can you think of any other explanation for Scary Movie 5?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Barometer posted:

Anyway, this poster is :krad:

Looking at it on my wall right now :cool:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's an admirable effort and a nice copy of his style, but man are the 3 main cast member's faces melty.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vegetable posted:

There's something off about the grass in the second poster...

The entire thing is off, it's just a series of poorly composited layers arbitrarily blurred.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Icon-Cat posted:

Wait, what? This can't be official, can it? (I only ask 'cause you put it alongside other official posters)
I assume it's fan-made, but it's amazing to me that they'd take all the time to make the Photoshopping look decent, and then not bother to use the bold white block font, but instead the sort of glowy text we might expect for a fan film.

I'm assuming it's a post-release poster, one of those things that would get sold at Walmart or whatnot

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Canned Panda posted:

Why is it that heads always look so off? Why is that so hard to get right?

Because the body is always taken from a different source and its way too easy to lose objectivity on how big a head should be when you've been working on it and adjusting it for hours.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I have to question the Pacific Rim tagline, though. "To fight monsters, we created monsters". But usually in stuff like this, that means... monstrous. And they're not really that at all. They're huge, but they're just big robots. Unless they're alive and slightly evil, it seems like a terrible line.

I don't know much about the plot, but could that be referring to the pilots? I could see them doing something with that. Regardless, the new tag line is apparently “Go Big, or Go Extinct” according to the WonderCon preview.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Tears of the Black Tiger is so, so pretty.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

Why does this one have a quote on it? What's the point of doing a special edition of a movie if you think it still needs a quote on the cover?

Because the cover as-is perfectly represents the film? Out of all of those, that's the one you choose to complain about? It's the only decent one among them, because the cover is essentially a commentary on the editing style of the film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No wonder, they're both equally poorly done.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

In Blood Dragon's case, intentionally, though. The whole game is basically trying to be a bad 80s action movie. One of the key design points they had was "terrible script". Yes, literally.

No, I meant the actual posters themselves. The game looks amazing, that poster is amateur hour. You can tell what they were going for, but instead of looking like an 80s-style, authentically poorly painted poster it looks like someone hired a 17 year old from Deviant Art who tried their best.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 16, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

It's an adaptation of the manga so it should be different in a number of key ways so it'll at least be interesting for a viewer familiar with the Korean movie.

No, it's not. Just like it never is, even though that's always parroted during remakes. From a test screening:

quote:

There are only minor changes, with stuff like the prison sequence being longer and some tweaks to the ending. It’s not shot for shot by any means either, so if you see it, you should definitely expect things to be different and to cringe all over again…Much like the original, acts two and three are very sadistic and “wrong.”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Agreed. I think Let Me In is the exception here. It excelled in that while it kept so much of the original film in tact, it used the elements in vastly different ways so at the end of the film you were left with the exact opposite feeling of the original. In the first film you're left warm and hopeful when they leave on the train together, whereas in the remake you're left horrified. It's extremely effective, and it's pretty masterfully done, but for the purposes of the core story that was being told I think the original was more of a success in that regard. Though axleblaze's way of putting it is very elegant.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 16, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You'd think with all the apocalyptic Earth movies being released around the same time, the Star Trek posters would try to differentiate themselves by looking like... I don't know, Star Trek?

The Spock image is somewhat evocative, at least.

Space movies don't sell well over seas, gotta hide that Star Trek takes place in space.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

I only own one movie poster, and while I have not yet hung it up, let me tell you I've got some big plans for it!

This is exactly what that lovely Drive poster and video game poster from a few pages back were trying and failing so hard to be. Some day I'm going to catch that in the theater, come to NYC dammit!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Feel free to tell me I'm way off base here, because it's quite likely, but while I love a lot about this it just seems so muted and drab compared to the scene in the film. The coloring really doesn't suit the interesting line work and composition. I'm no colorist, but punching up the vibrance and giving the neon and light sources a glow feels like it really helps.

Obviously it's just a quickie mockup, but I think it gets the idea across.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

You playin', dog?

I see it.

The shading on the pants plus the carefully-placed knife really do a bit more than imply an erection.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Apes-Ma posted:

This is great, but wouldn't Nicolas Ray be a better choice for a director for 50's Drive than John Ford?

Anyway, this was the first poster I saw for Drive and I do think it's my favorite:

I am getting Cronenberg associations from this, especially to Crash. We are basically looking at the Driver's beating heart, with the car being an extension of himself. He drives. That's what he does, but it's also all he can do.

It's just a nice poster that is thematically appropriate and an intriguing image that hints to us that there is more going on under the surface of the film than those Mondo atrocities would have you to believe. I didn't even notice that the iconic pink font was gone before I took a second look at it.

The problem here is that these associations only fit if you've seen the film. If you haven't, it's just an engine. It's the same problem as the Matrix/battery poster, just not as lovely.

But that speaks to a sort of fundamental assumption at the heart of this thread right now: what is the purpose of a film poster? Can it not be anything beyond "a piece of marketing made to sell uninitiated viewers on the film"? Can it also be a piece of art reflecting moments or themes in the film that an already initiated viewer can use to trigger memories of those moments and themes?

A lot of these fan posters are very much trying to be the latter, so much so that I would call them "art inspired by the film that happens to have the same dimensions" and not a film poster at all. I see a lot of people in here dismissing a poster for the very reason I did above and I find it strange that we haven't really talked about it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 11, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Young Freud posted:

I love how everyone has used the Cherno's head in those Pacific Rim posters.

Makes sense, it's the only one of them that's actually well designed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Huh? Didn't all Native Americans have birds in their hair?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MikeJF posted:

None of these bother me, but oddly, (Star Trek Into Darkness spoiler) Benedict Cumberbatch playing Khan after Ricardo Montalbán does bother me. I suppose because ostensibly due to the premise of how the new films relate to the old he's a recast of the same Khan Montalbán played rather than a reboot.

Not to dredge this back up, but rumor has it that there were points in the production where Cumberbatch's character was not Khan and the identity of who he was in the script was in flux. Taking this into context, it makes a lot more sense that they cast somebody who didn't fit the evolving character and tried to create the best story they thought they could rather than rejigger things to fit the actor they had cast.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Check out this clusterfuck of marketing: that is some Baby's First Photoshop poo poo right there.

TRAIN SURFIN' HORSE, Y'ALL.

Don't blame the designer on that. The execution really isn't the issue. That's something that was clearly designed by committee and put unrealistic pressures on the designer due to a whole lot of people not understanding their job and the push-and-pull when it comes to theses things. And that resulted in a whole lot of compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Goatmask posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy somewhere the fake documentary posters that appeared at the start of The Life Aquatic?

I searched around and couldn't find anything sometime last year. I'm guessing you'll have to wait until the original art goes up for auction to get your hands on it. A shame, because it was amazing art. If you find out otherwise, shoot me a PM.