Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Desperado Bones posted:

But it seems someone decided it needed floating heads and poo poo:

As a Poe fan, the plot of this film induces my gag reflex. Also, this poster looks like a DTV Crow sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Ugh, who knew that John Connor could fall so far. And give that cover some points for having the most literal, robotic tagline ever.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Vagabundo posted:

Isn't he crazy or something?

Crazy for cocaine, yeah. His wiki photo leads me to believe he's slowly morphing into Bobcat Goldthwait.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Sheldrake posted:

I need a movie poster font nerd's help. What's the font on the Tree of Life poster?

Probably "Futura".

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The badly translated synopsis at imdb makes me want to see this even more than the poster does.

IMDB posted:

The action takes place shortly after the end of the Second World War in the Siberian hinterland, among Russians and Germans with damaged personal stories and a strange transformation: the victors seem to be crawling into the skins of the defeated, and vice versa. Ignat, is the embodiment of the larger-than-life image of the Soviet victorious warrior who, in fact, proves to be shell-shocked, sick and broken, although not completely destroyed. Trains become fetish for the heroes of the film, and speed becomes a mania; they virtually become one with their steam engines, while the machines take on human names. The heroes set up an almost fatal race in the Siberian forest, risking their own lives and those of others.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Same deal with the trailer. No mention of robots whatsoever. But I do love how the trailer replicates the image from the poster.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Why does every poster nowdays have to stitch bodyparts together? When was the last time anyone actually did a dedicated photoshoot for a movie poster?

Like the guy said, the negotiations over the specifics in the poster aren't done until way after the end of principal photography. By that point, it's just cheaper and more convenient to manipulate the photos you already have rather than having to re-wrangle all of the actors to come in for a photoshoot which would likely end up getting manipulated later anyway. Marketing, contractual obligations, ratings considerations, and the egos involved in large productions will never allow this stuff to be that easy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, it's fake. The lightning on the sides of the booth looks like crap, and the background is taken from Superman Returns concept art found here.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Darthemed posted:

Which is all well and good, except the Japanese version still kills it.

if anyone can find a bigger copy of this one, please post it

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I like how they didn't even attempt to roboticize the voice to actually make it feel like it's coming from the robot. It sounds more like someone doing a lovely Jerry Lewis impression as an alternate commentary track on the DVD.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Since 40% of Lifeforce consists of Mathilda May's bare breasts, that's all I really remember aside from the scene where Steve Railsback is hamming it up, hilariously trying to resist making out with Patrick Stewart on an operating table (who is possessed by Mathida May, who is a space vampire? It's been a while).

This led me to look up Mathilda May on imdb. I learned that she also starred in a film appropriately titled "The Tit & the Moon". It's about a 9 year old boy who is jealous of his new baby brother getting all of his mom's breast-attention. So, he wishes upon the moon to bring him the perfect pair of lactating breasts that he can call his very own. Enter Mathilda May's breasts.

I then saw the UK DVD cover and laughed for 5 minutes.

:psyduck:

Maybe this movie is well known/regarded and I've been out of the loop, but what the hell? Has anyone seen this? Is it as hilariously insane as it seems?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

axleblaze posted:

You're all idiots. The best Evil Dead II posted would just be a thought balloon that says "toolshed".

...I think I could get some people to buy that actually.

Ahem, it's workshed. Anybody who's anybody knows that :rolleyes:.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
While we're posting our posters, the movie room has these...

...and the bedroom has this:

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/cFH98a0.jpg

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Tewratomeh posted:

I think it's just a side effect of most of those posters being created in a vector art program. Basically they're not bothering to blend the colors together, and I've no idea if that's a deliberate stylistic choice or they just can't be bothered to touch it up in Photoshop (or, god forbid, actually hand paint a poster on physical paper or canvas).

Like that Drive poster, they have a decent layout there and a nice likeness of Ryan Gosling, but they hosed it all up with that really awful attempt at "shading".

I want to say the shading issue has to do with the limitations of the screenprinting process. A lot of screenprints only use 3-6 colors, either for artistic intent or to keep them within a certain ink budget, which can make otherwise detailed shadow delineation look splotchy. The right artist who works with the medium can make it work well (using a less detailed graphic-stencil style, or using halftone dots for shadow gradients), but otherwise it can often just come out looking like a downgraded image. If these were giclée inkjet prints, I'd imagine you could probably retain detail at a minimal price, but it's essentially like buying any reprinted poster from an online shop, though the paper stock is usually pretty good. With screenprints, it seems you're getting a handmade product that is more labor intensive and individualized, at the potential cost of that detail. This is just a somewhat-educated guess, though, so somebody feel free to rip this to shreds.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

feedmyleg posted:

Feel free to tell me I'm way off base here, because it's quite likely, but while I love a lot about this it just seems so muted and drab compared to the scene in the film. The coloring really doesn't suit the interesting line work and composition. I'm no colorist, but punching up the vibrance and giving the neon and light sources a glow feels like it really helps.

Obviously it's just a quickie mockup, but I think it gets the idea across.

Like the guy below you said, the silver metallic rain definitely adds to the picture, which is absent in the promo pic that I posted. Here's an actual pic, which gives you an idea of what it's like in person.

While it isn't as vibrant as your modified pic, it's better than the promo pic. However, I don't know how well one could achieve the neon glow in screenprints (though as SMG has pointed out, there's vastly more artistic wiggle-room than I thought), which would be an effect that is admittedly more representative of the actual scene, so I'll have to defer to those better informed. It works well enough for me. The "tears in rain" print also has metallic ink rain, and they're pretty nice companion pieces.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Kind Milkman posted:

I didn't notice his belt at first glance. That makes it a better poster for the movie, but drat.

At least he doesn't have a raging erection, like in the poster for the original Maniac.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I knew this would happen, red arrows and all. :ughh:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Vegetable posted:

Holy christ fire dragon with a volleyball :black101: Are these available anywhere?

Here.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Suzuki Method posted:

:laffo: Please tell me where this comes from so I can buy this. I'm not even joking, I need it.

Here. To be fair, it isn't intended to be a poster. Still funny, though.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Even better, the original TV spot that scared the poo poo out of countless kids in 1978.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Don't forget this one.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Robert Denby posted:

Now this is how you do a re-release poster.

Hot drat, I want to buy this here movie poster.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Slim Killington posted:

To travel forward in time and even the score against the Terminators.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

CaptainHollywood posted:

Umm.... this does not look good.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Gollums.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

leokitty posted:

All that really matters is that Diary of the Dead is trash, I think. I couldn't sit through the whole thing and left 2/3 of the way through. The only movies I've ever left early are Diary of the Dead and Benji the Hunted.

Just chiming in to say that Diary of the Dead is the worst thing I've seen in a movie theater, and I saw Batman & Robin in a movie theater.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Nckdictator posted:

This DVD cover is certainly a thing.

It's almost like they're challenging you to figure out who the blurry blonde guy with the crew cut is. I would have guessed Malcolm McDowell over any of the actors listed on the cover.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Palmersaurus posted:

It came from Mondo:

Normally I'm ambivalent when it comes to Mondo, but this one is just a mess.

This hideous poster is really indicative of Graham Erwin's style. Sometimes it works out alright:

Other times, like the 'Caddyshack' poster, or the following, it's just an unattractive mess:

That last one is for 'Step Brothers', by the way. So essentially, dude should just stick to animated films and horror.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Here, have a palette cleanser.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Well, it looks that way because his head is leaning back and to the (his) right. Like this:

True to source material, at least.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
As someone who has never seen "Wages of Fear" (I own it, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet) or "Sorcerer", which should I watch first?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

I don't much care for Game of Thrones, but that is loving great.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

The MSJ posted:

Content:

The original poster was way better.

And I see they've jacked the new tagline from Critters 3.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Oldman plays a little person in that movie. You wouldn't know it from the poster.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

ruddiger posted:

Nah, I get the Frighteners reference (and the NOES one), and it's not a poster for The Stuff that I'm remembering either. gently caress. It's going to bug the hell out of me. Closest I can think of in the style of what I'm remembering is the 2015 poster for We Are Still Here, but that's not the specific one I'm thinking of either.

Maybe it just exists in my brains.

This most reminds me of the posters for Fright Night and Return of the Living Dead II.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That naked lady skull is originally from a photo by Dali. Maybe MGM didn't/couldn't give them the rights to the imagery. I like the new concept, it incorporates psychology, the well known moth imagery, and blood. It just has the unfortunate job of replacing one of the most recognizable posters of all time.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

hexwren posted:

Anyone have any idea what poster this is? It looks stupidly familiar, but it's so hard to see.

Labyrinth?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Palpek posted:

You can read what the author has to say about it here: :nws: http://kaleidoscope.media/charlie-white-understanding-joshua-2/ :nws:

I'd love to read this, but the gargantuan levels of pretension from the outset make it impossible.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's the first movie adapted from one of Laird Barron's works, and he's a really loving good horror writer, so I'm pretty excited.

I'm still waiting for someone to adapt some Thomas Ligotti (True Detective S1 notwithstanding).

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Psycho II, the movie, is surprisingly good considering what it has to live up to.

The book sounds wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Clifford is somehow more bad and bizarre than the poster.