Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Triumphant posted:

Here's a really, really boring poster:

That film is so goddamn insane and unhinged, and they went with gray floating heads looking serious. There's a scene where Nic Cage breaks into a nursing home, shaves while interrogating someone, and then points a gun at an old lady's head and threatens to shoot her for spending her grandkids' inheritance money on oxygen. There's a scene where he orders a dead body to be shot because the man's soul is breakdancing in the background. It's a film where Nic Cage plays a hunchback who smokes crack with Xzibit and hallucinates iguanas.

At least the back of the DVD case has him screaming at lizards.

Maybe poo poo like this is why this film was ignored by so many people. If the poster / DVD artwork was some kind of tastefully done montage of him almost killing the old woman, breaking into the pharmacy, and doing drugs with Xzibit, maybe people would have given it more of a chance. But that artwork doesn't represent what the film is actually about, so some people who see it are wary of watching the film.

It needs to convey a message of how batshit insane the film is while not actually giving everything away, as opposed to "This is a movie with people in it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Two cops walking through an explosion. How does that in ANY way shape or form tell me that they go undercover as high school students to find the supplier of a new drug?

Also, the explosion + sparks reminds me too much of the Live Free Or Die Hard DVD art:

It may have been done on another poster, too. I can't quite remember right now. But it's sure as hell not original.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 31, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jojoinnit posted:

Is that what the tv show with Johnny Depp was about? :confused:

That's what this movie is about, from what I've gathered from the trailers I've seen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Max22 posted:

Hahaha, precisely. Thank you!

The MSJ posted:

Appropriate, since the 21 Jump Street movie is said to have a Hot Fuzz vibe to it.

I don't know for sure, but I have a hunch that 21 Jump Street won't be quite as entertaining as Hot Fuzz...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

21 Jump Street actually looks alright. I didn't mean to imply that I thought it would be terrible, just not half as good as Hot Fuzz. And the poster is still awful, regardless of whether or not the movie is good. It's being made by the Clone High team, though? That makes me all kinds of excited. That should be on the poster somewhere. "From The Creators Of 'Clone High' Comes 21 Jump Street".

Slasherfan posted:

I was suprised to see this on the side of a bus earlier.

:ughh:

The first trailer I saw for this actually looked pretty interesting up until the end. Getting super powers and loving with people in several different ways is totally cool, but making a lovely driver drive off the road simply will not fly! Then the guy's friends all think he's evil and should be stopped or something?

They were all being dicks with their powers. He wasn't the only one.

I'll probably still see it, but on a Saturday/Sunday morning when I only have to pay $5 for it.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 31, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know, I know. They aren't the same.

Still, I think an entire movie of a group of guys with super powers loving with everyone they can find in a progressively more destructive fashion would be much more interesting than one of the guys being worse than the others and getting outed, and then the shift of the movie turning to stopping the one evil guy.

That just seems way too predictable to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jefferoo posted:

It's interesting because it's all harmless fun until one gets consumed by greed and etc etc, it's at the very least going to be entertaining. I think you're putting way too little thought into it. It's a film about superpowers, nobody would want to watch Jackass with Superman for 90 minutes.

I feel like this is a film I've seen before. Jackass with super powers for 90 minutes? Haven't seen it :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WhatAliceFoundThere posted:

I previewed Chronicle today at work and I think you'll be suprised at how it unfolds, the trailer is a little deceptive.

When he forces the truck off the road it doesn't actually kill the driver and although the other two are pissed off at him it doesn't make him 'evil' straight away and they go back to being friends and screwing around pretty quick. It's more used to show how strong he is. His turn to 'evil' doesn't happen properly until later and it happens for completly unrelated reasons

Pretty fun film really, nothing special but really not terrible and the last 20 or so minutes which is a huge fight through the city between two of the characters shown through various cameras around the city is pretty cool.

The main problem with that poster is that it doesn't really fit the film or the character that well.

Well this sounds better than what I was expecting. Now I'm actually kind of interested to see how it plays out. Thanks :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

veonenergee posted:

New Mondo poster for Drive is pretty much yum:

Now this is loving sexy. Why couldn't this have been the DVD artwork? :doh:

If Drive ever gets inducted into the Criterion Collection, the final art for that will probably be out of this world.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alhazred posted:

I think this cover for The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest is pretty cool:

:stare:

All DVD covers should look like this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hurf durf

Looks like most of those Alamo Drafthouse posters (is it done by the same guy?), but I still dig it quite a bit :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Desperado Bones posted:

That Drive poster is simply bad and wrong in everything,it looks like those painted posters you would see in some little forgotten Middle Eastern/Asian town.

Leaving this here:

Wait, there's another Bourne movie coming out? I had no idea!

That poster's alright. Right off the bat, you can tell it's going to be a Bourne movie without Matt Damon, but similar to the Matt Damon Bournes. There could have been more done with it, but at least it's not just a floating head.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That's Liam Neeson? Could have fooled me :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Robert Denby posted:

Just remembered that "Live Free or Die Hard" had a similar tactic on their billboards.

(couldn't find better image, sorry)

This is loving falconing awesome. I don't think I ever saw this before the movie came out, but I wish I had. I would've laughed and laughed.

More movies should take this simple yet effective marketing approach.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That looks like a godawful Addams Family ripoff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

oldpainless posted:

And yes, I know they're married. It still annoys me cuz when I hear Tim Burton I know her name will follow shortly.

...they are? Well that figures.

I can't believe I didn't know that until now, though :doh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fayez Butts posted:

Yes

:stare: What the gently caress is this and when is it coming out because I'm pretty sure I need to see it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LesterGroans posted:

Here's a teaser trailer for it.

Uhh, yeah, I'm now 110% sure I need to see this.

Looks Cronenbergy as gently caress.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it's like old Cronenberg too. Oh, how I missed you skullfucker. I loved History of Violence and Eastern Promises, but they seemed like they came from a different man.

Long live the new flesh!

A Dangerous Method and A History Of Violence were both incredible, but Eastern Promises didn't grab me at all. Though I only saw it once (when it was in theaters). All I really remember about it is Viggo Mortensen doing naked acrobatics through a bath house.

I should probably re-watch it one of these days :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

You're doing yourself a disservice as a viewer of film if you don't watch The Fly all the way through at least once. Videodrome too, but to a lesser degree (I still love it but I wouldn't say it's required viewing for everyone).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Desperado Bones posted:

More movie posters, less talking.

The fly is, of course, one of my favorites. I'm still wondering WHY did my mother let me, a little girl, see this movie? :psyduck:

Because she was an awesome mom and wanted her kid to start out watching good movies?

My parents were not awesome. I didn't see The Fly until I was like 17, and I had to hear about it on my own. Needless to say I loving loved it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Desperado Bones posted:

Jeff Goldblum puking fly goo is a great childhood memory :thumbsup:

I was allowed to watch the sequel too, which left me scarred specially with the poor mutated dog scenes :(

But the only movie that really left a big impression on me was Poltergeist. I'm still afraid of clown toys,or any doll that looks like a clown. Creepy...

...there's a Fly II? :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Darthemed posted:

Too much tagline?

Wait, did this movie actually have that sort of controversy surrounding it? Or did they just make that up for the tagline?

I always thought it and its sequel were totally obscure except for the "garbage day" line from SNDN2.

I mean, poo poo, is it even available for purchase on DVD anywhere? I thought it was out of print.

I love the movie, though. I saw it a few years ago and have watched it every Christmas since. If you haven't seen them, you're better off watching SNDN2 since the first 45 minutes of the movie basically shows all of the first movie with added hilariously overacted narration. It's supposed to be a recap I guess, but it's like over half of the running time of the goddamn movie :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slasherfan posted:

At the time parents where outraged over a movie showing Santa Claus killing people and protested the movie (Even though it's not really Santa). The movie ended up being pulled from Cinemas after a week even though it was doing well (opened higher then A Nightmare On Elm Street).
You can read about it on it's WIKI page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Night,_Deadly_Night

There is a documentary on slasher movies called Going To Pieces and it has news footage of people protesting, I looked around and couldn't find any of the footage online.
EDIT, Found it, NOT WORK SAFE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxGxjXVJGfg

Oh wow, that's nuts! I hadn't heard about that before. I'll have to watch that video when I get home from work.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The black does look better but they both look lazy as gently caress.

One would think that more effort would be put into a product being sold, let alone a COLLECTION of movies. One that people may have around for a long time to come.

But I guess not v:shobon:v

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

oldpainless posted:

I am ashamed to say it took a little bit of time to realize that the DVDs that kept saying "plus Ultraviolet" were NOT, in fact, giving away the lovely Milla Jovovich movie as some weird sort of "bonus."

I thought that too the first several times I heard it. I kept thinking "Man, they must REALLY want people to watch that garbage rear end movie." Then I realized it was just a dumb name for a digital copy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Atasi posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren:
SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

The whole scenario is one of many being carried out all over the world, controlled by a group who are attempting to appease ancient gods with a sacrifice of young people. They control the kids with pheromones, genetically engineered monsters and a force field that keeps them from escaping. All the other scenarios fail early on in the movie and so this is the organizations last shot, unfortunately two of the kids survive until sunrise and the ancient gods awaken and destroy the world.

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Are you loving serious :stare:

Well now I have to see it!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kiimo posted:

So here's our new one. This film got snatched up and fast-tracked and we had to turn this around super fast with Alcon.

I will listen to and accept any and all criticisms and flimsily defend ourselves while blaming the other company for anything you don't like.

The trailer seemed interesting enough, and the poster looks awesome. I love pretty much anything to do with Chernobyl/Pripyat, so this poster instantly identifies to me that even more poo poo is gonna down in that area, which has me sold. I'll be seeing this :)

My only criticism would be that the type is a little hard on the eyes. But I don't know how I would have done it any differently.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I must be looking at it wrong, because the horse looks like it has a googly eye :psyduck:

Also, there's no way a human could stay in that position on top of a horse in motion.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slasherfan posted:

Isn't that IT from South Park?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Holy poo poo :laffo:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

oldpainless posted:

I saw Haywire and it is such a weirdly made movie I want someones opinion. Did anyone like it?

I thought Gina Carano was loving hot in it and the fight scenes owned, but besides that, there wasn't much there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Noxville posted:

I think it's been mentioned here how bad the Minority Report Blu-Ray cover is but man I saw it in-store today and it looks even worse in real life.

:psyboom:

This is an Asylum-quality poster. How in the gently caress did that get approved for a Spielberg movie?!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus, why did I have to see this at work? This is way too loving funny.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vintersorg posted:

Another Mondo sale for tomorrow, up for grabs is Dragonslayer, Shadow of A Doubt, Film & The Unholy Three.

:staredog:

loving incredible. One of the best movie posters I've seen in years.

Mondo has a real knack for this kind of thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"In Theaters Worldwide" looks like it went through one of those text animations where the text vibrates but it never came out of that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is all I think of when saying or hearing "Taken 2" out loud

:psyboom: I'm hurting from laughing so hard right now. Well done.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't know if this was posted in here already, but I saw it on the gently caress Yeah Movie Posters Tumblr last night and thought it was loving awesome. Made me want to see the movie all over again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy gently caress :lol:

I haven't laughed that hard since Taken/Tekken 2.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wheany posted:

You did it wrong

I don't have much desire to see The Bourne Legacy but I would go see The Bloeugrancey in a heartbeat without knowing anything about it other than the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gonz posted:

False.

This movie is about corporate brainwashing set in the year 2451, and one man's quest to expose it all.

That man is...

Jeremy Renner as Acarroosns