Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I find most 'posters' in this style pretty stupid and obnoxious, but this one really takes the cake.

Seriously, it's somehow even worse than that Matrix poster with the battery.

Aside from the ridiculous sky blue color scheme, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - the De Niro one - didn't have bolts in his neck, so either the guy who made this poster doesn't know what the main character looks like, or doesn't know the name of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cacator posted:

Man that's just pandering.

"What do little girls like?"
"Princesses? Ponies?"
"Hmm..."

"Also a dog."

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

YOU DON'T gently caress A STRANGER AT YOUR OWN WEDDING WITHOUT MAKING A FEW ENEMIES

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

fenix down posted:

I like it because it looks like Corman's House of Usher.

It reminds me of the poster for House on Haunted Hill, too.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Here's another really bad poster to sneer at. It evokes nothing about the movie, the color scheme is inappropriately soothing, the tape recorder looks like an amplifier, it tells you nothing at all about the film, and the title is barely present.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I did get what they were trying to do instantly, but I agree that this doesn't sell the film very well. If it was a picture of the Necronomicon in the same style, I'd probably like it.

For a movie that's chock-full of iconic and striking imagery, they picked just about the most boring thing possible to use for visual synecdoche. "Well we got this movie with a book bound in human skin, huge grasping claws exploding out of chests, a creepy cabin, and possessed trees. Let's make our poster that tape recorder they have. Throw some skulls on it, and make it a nice baby blue. The title's not important."

They're putting themselves up against one of the best posters in genre:

and if that's the best they could come up with - why even loving bother?

TheJoker138 posted:

And the recorder is too thick too.

And the reels are too small and it's at a weird angle which emphasizes the irrelevant topside and handle, instead of the front. You notice the handle before the skulls.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 30, 2012

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Mustached5thGrader posted:

As a Christian, I can say that there has NEVER been a watchable "Faith-based" film. The worst being Fireproof. A lot of good that did, seeing as how my wife cheated on me and left me :smith:

http://artsandfaith.com/t100/

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

emo-crow
~*ANGST*~

I've never seen The Crow, but just from the ads I can't see why this looks any more angsty than the original. Shittier, yeah, but everything I've seen of the first movie looks like he's about to cry at any moment.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

kiimo posted:

You should rectify this. The first Crow is really badass kind of in the vein of, oh, the first Blade. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The sequels are an abomination.

Well, I do like Blade. And the sequels have Thomas Jane, Mia Kirschner, Iggy Pop, Kirsten Dunst, and Edward Furlong. And they're all on Netflix.

Maybe it's time for a Crow-a-thon?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah so The Crow is loving awful. It's like Spawn but somehow worse. Still might see the third one to satisfy my Dunst-love.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

There is so much innuendo and imagery and allusion in this poster. It's ridiculous.

The vagina made of blood is subtly horrifying on so many levels, and such a great thing to sneak past the censors.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

The first thing that came to my mind was that scene, because I watched the movie and was severely traumatized by it. If I hadn't I'm sure I would had agreed with you all.

It is a vagina and that blot at the top is referring to the chopped clit. I figured that was implied, my bad.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Potentially, but probably not. I'm interested to see more of it in a future trailer, but they started shooting before they finished writing the script. How often has that worked out well?

Apocalypse Now.

...but, uh. I don't think Men in Black 3 will be as good as Apocalypse Now.

I still don't get why they're making this movie NOW. The first two made a lot, yeah, but the second was a loving decade ago. Let it die with some honor.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Static Rook posted:

he's obviously in the water because of the splash effects at the bottom.

Maybe there's a hot tub on the deck?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Gotta say, as terrible (perfect) as the movie is, I love the poster for this '04 Sci Fi Channel production:

It's so EC Comics lurid.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It's an aesthetic/design principle, not a callback, you weirdos. It's the same reason the trailer was a "leaked" bootleg and the opening credits was a James Bond parody in which people were killed by USB cables - it's creating a feeling of technological secrecy, like you're in the shady back alleys of hackers and industrial spies.

I still can't believe how literal-minded this board gets sometimes.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I feel like most movies just shouldn't even bother having taglines. It's such an odd tradition.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Darthemed posted:

Too much tagline?

The Tagline That Went Too Far.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Embiggen posted:

Thanks for the link, this site is great. Apparently in the 30s there was a documentary about a guy stabbing everything in the ocean:

I love the style of vintage creature feature posters, but a cranky turtle and a goofy-looking octopus? Those are some of the least menacing sea monsters ever.

I just watched this. It's actually no bullshit the worst movie I've ever seen in my life.

Crosspost from general chat:

quote:

I can't get over it. Holy poo poo. It's a documentary about a guy who fancies himself a "sheriff" of the sea, and he goes around murdering apex predators and really anything that he just doesn't like. There's this amazing 12 foot tiger shark, and he dives in and stabs it to death just for the fun of it. Also, this:

"Octopus! The devil fish! Slimy, slithery, hateful. A foul monstrosity in a grotesque world! A loathsome nightmare that lurks with hideous peril for the diver."

Reminder, this is a documentary.

Meanwhile, the narration goes on and on about how these mighty beasts of the sea are everywhere and threatening the waters SHUT UP YOU gently caress, YOU ARE THE REASON WE DON'T HAVE FISH LIKE THAT ON THE COAST ANYMORE.

They also throw in some racism because why not? The guy has a "darkie sailor" cook named Evolution, and they dub over all his dialogue with that loving "yassuh boss" poo poo and all his scenes are obviously staged pratfalls.

There's also a running bit about how when our hero dives into the water to murder a fish, he takes his pants off. It's supposed to be badass - "the trousers come off and the knife comes out!" - but it's literally a Trailer Park Boys joke, all I could think of was Randy's fat rear end falling all over the yard.

There's a pretty good book about the age of shark fishing called In the Slick of the Cricket, about how the men who loved the sea ended up destroying it. This movie is like a counterpoint - it's a man who hates the sea ruining it. It's only the second movie I've ever given a zero to on Criticker. The first is Electrocuting an Elephant. They're functionally identical.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I'm in love with this 1934 poster:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

taser rates posted:

One of Mondo's Avengers posters. I'm trying to recall if this is a reference some other poster or artwork I've seen, but nothing's coming to mind. I like it though.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Dillbag posted:

New Expendables 2 poster featuring... who?

Legitimately one of the coolest guys in that movie.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Me too, and I also assumed that the guys in the back are standing sideways. Y'all are just sniping on this one.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Robert Denby posted:

Here's a teaser poster for the first live-action movie from Zemeckis in twelve years.

I like it, even though that image has been done before.

There's a 2 to 1 chance it'll be poo poo (gently caress Zemeckis), but this is a well-done minimalist poster.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Meltathon posted:

Having (almost) everything crammed at the top actually makes me uncomfortable. I'm not sure why, it just seems to closed in, maybe that's the point. The title looks like it is slightly too high on the poster, which could be doing it too. I have no clue what the movie is really about though.

Yeah that's what I like about it, it's overwhelmingly vertical. The gradient helps too. I feel like I'm in a hot air balloon when I look at it. And then when I focus in on the title, which is very w i d e, I get a slight rush of expansion.

I don't know what the movie's about and what the tone even is, but that poster is evocative as hell.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

2 of the Fellowship, reuinted!

The Fellowship of Christian Slater and Ving Rhames was a hell of an outfit in its day.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Anyone post "Masque of the Red Death" poster? Its probably my favorite poster.

Holy poo poo, I've never seen this larger than a thumbnail. I thought he was just stylized! What a rad poster.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

BARONS DEF CHARGER posted:

THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER. THAT GUN IS FIVE GUNS.

The prophecies were true...

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

That tagline is giving some very bad advice. A better tagline would be "Make your presence clear and don't leave food out around your campsite." BEAR.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

It should be a pun involving the word bear.

"Bear witness to the horror that is... BEAR!"

I guarantee you at least 2 reviews of it are headlined "UNBEARABLE".

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Eventually the poorly-received 8EAR, then the reboot BEAR: THE BEGINNING.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Sheldrake posted:

This full size poster is hanging on the wall fifteen feet in front of me. One of my favorites, and it always incites some sort of deep discussions about what, exactly, was he going to train those dolphins for.

He was trying to teach them how to talk.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I didn't know they relocated Jurassic Park from Costa Rica to a brisk autumn day in loving Montpelier, Vermont.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Hbomberguy posted:

It's a Japanese horror film from an era when I don't think they knew how to make horror films yet,

Watch Jigoku, Kwaidan, Onibaba, and Yotsuya Kaidan to see how wrong you are.

Hausu isn't accidental genius like The Room or whatever, that ridiculous insane tone is very intentional and very carefully crafted.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Please call them 'The Sinners of Hell', 'Ghost Stories', 'Devil Woman' and 'Yotsuya Ghost Story'.

e: 'Demon Hag' is such a great title, goddamn

I like the Akira Kurosawa classics To Live (1952), Clickety-clack (1970), Shadow Warrior (1980), Rebellion (1985).

Hbomberguy posted:

it just completely defied my expectations for how horror films tend to be set up, which was creepy in a new way for me.

I agree totally, but it's not because the Japanese didn't know how to make horror films, it's because Obayashi is a loving next level director.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Frazetta stuff predates that. The middle one in that post is from the late 60s.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Last I heard, the movie IS happening, though, with the guy who directed Galaxy Quest at the helm.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Lizard Combatant posted:

Challenge:

Does anyone dare to contest the perfection of the Jurrasic Park poster? Is there another that you believe tops it in terms of message and design?

I've tried and nothing comes close (apart from Clifford, obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What is going on here, is this set on a dog's back?