Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Embiggen posted:

Nobody will ever write a better tagline than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I do like the design of that Statham one, but cutting off the top of his head is kind of a composition no-no, I think. Your brain tries to extend/finish the image of the head in weird ways when that happens. Or at least, that's what my brain is doing right now.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

One thing I brought up in the last thread that I personally have a disdain for in posters, depsite being less of a new trend but an ongoing practice, are the "character spotlight" posters. We've seen plenty of them for superhero movies. Fantasy movies do this, in order to evoke the "Oh my god! It's that supporting character from the book I read" feeling. There some of them for heist movies. And action movies with emphasis on individuals in the team. "The Leader. The Veteran. The Thief. The Insider. The Rogue. The token minority and/or woman."

Obviously some are stupider than others, but it comes down to "here are characters or archetypes we expect you to recognize because we assume we already won you over because we're promoting a remake/sequel/reboot/ripoff. now let's take up room that otherwise could have went to five other movies and let you ponder why we're not making anything original."

From a marketing standpoint, I guess it makes sense. And if it's a movie with a lot of "big stars", maybe it's warranted to show off the ensemble. But it gets really nauseating when they're character spotlight posters for some stuid Dreamworks animation poo poo, because the movie already comes off as overly obnoxious as it is.

Even as a casual Green Lantern fan, I'll let you know seeing Bird Man, Purple Guy, or Mustache Dude With Dragonball Hands doesn't excite me at all. And I can only wonder about casual movie-goers. It's not like this example's running on Geoffrey Rush's star power anyway.

Yeah, this is definitely one of the many techniques that movie advertisements use to try to make you accept a film as a Significant Canonical Cultural Event. It's not about whether anyone actually gives a poo poo about the ensemble cast, it's about creating the perception that the rest of the world cares about the ensemble cast. See also: teaser trailers that show only a logo.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

The badly translated synopsis at imdb makes me want to see this even more than the poster does.

This synopsis is probably mostly metaphor and analysis, but I want to believe that it's literally about transhumanist Russian supermen melding with their trains and battling against body-snatchers.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Jesus, those taglines just scream :effort:

WHO IS JOHN SALT?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I barely had the patience to put up with On The Road when I read it. The style kind of repulsed me to the point where I don't think I could offer a fair analysis, but I recall it being quite the self-centred ramble.

It's definitely not the kind of story that's built around having a big recognizable ensemble cast (the vast majority of characters only drift through the narrative for brief segments), so the character posters feel like a complete misfire.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Hahaha, the super-warm and blown-out lighting on this one really makes it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

1stGear posted:

I can't isolate what about the Catwoman costume is so terrible. I think its the goggles or maybe its just than Anne Hathaway is behind them. This marketing is giving me a terrible feeling that DKR is going to be real bad and that would pretty much ruin my summer.

The key is to only let it ruin three hours of your summer.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You can tell that somebody decided they were done as soon as they finished the one backdrop. Just select some random poses and swap them out, we're done here!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

Also, he smuggled a lot of lens flare off of the Star Trek set.

They're trying to appeal to the audience that wants to see Young Kirk and Young Picard face off.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I remember hearing that the movie's about a pubcrawl, so I imagine that's the route, with the titular pub being the final stop.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Well, Wright's been calling this the final "flavor" of the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy, in which the flavor of the Cornetto ice cream the main character buys signifies the theme of the film. In Shaun of the Dead, it was red strawberry, which emphasized the gore and color of blood. In Hot Fuzz, it was the original blue Cornetto, symbolizing the police. Here, it's going to be green mint-chocolate chip which signifies science fiction.

I've seen that speculation before, but Wikipedia's source link only mentions the cornetto flavour, not what it would mean.

Regardless, that doesn't contradict pubcrawl.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I want to see a trailer cut in a style remniscent of Dr. Strangelove or The Prisoner.

Cards with bold text flash briefly, intercut with confusing footage:

WHAT

IS

THE

TERRIBLE

SECRET

BEHIND

THE BLOEUGRANCEY

??

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That website translates the German Hot Fuzz title as "Two Cool Guys Jerking Off" which frankly I am okay with.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Tell me you wouldn't be intrigued to see that hanging in your local cinema lobby. I dare you.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

An intrepid historian and his fresh-faced team find themselves on the run from an underground global surveillance network as they search for Louis XIV's lost treasure.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Blouegrancey is not a what, Monsieur Renard. It's a who.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ideally that poster would have no tagline at all.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

"B3AR is just right!" -Peter Travers

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Twist: the daughter took the millions and faked her own kidnapping. Now you don't need to see the movie!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That poster screams to me "Emma Stone is not actually in this movie".

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

"I bet my son can beat your son at basketball HAHA SURPRISE HE'S A BLACK MAN"

How does a film like this begin a career instead of ending it?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Young Kirk and Young Picard battle over Reese Witherspoon.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Polkergeist posted:

Peter Bishop is a wonderful man and I will not stand for this. :colbert: Joshua Jackson Vince Vaughn's done a great job recently turning into an Observer.

I have watched all of Fringe thus far and the only adjective that comes to mind for Joshua Jackson's character is "male".

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

But kiimo I don't like Halo or its aesthetic.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Olly Moss: One Tone to Fit Them All

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

What's a wrist?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Geekboy posted:

I've basically started to hate all of these secondary market posters.

The whole concept irritates me, because why would I buy something mocked up as the film's poster when it has no actual place in its promotional history? You're not buying the movie's poster, you're buying "Hey guys what if this was the movie's poster?". It's masturbatory and it's presumptuous on the part of the artist, and that's before you even get into the half-assed minimalism and painful attempts to be Saul Bass.

I buy art prints, and maybe I'd buy an actual poster from a film, but I will never ever buy any print in this asinine format.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Also, when you go there, you can't bring any items with you.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, that's an easily falsifiable claim as there are way too many grown dudes who are interested in Disney girls.

"I can't wait until _______ turns 18!" -Man who masturbates to pictures of teen star before and after she turns 18 in equal measure and will never encounter her in real life anyway

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Reminder that even adult women are admired for neotenous features; Media infantilizes women and sexualizes children, and we meet in the middle at the doe-eyed nymphomaniac womanchild.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The [verb]ers. Can we [verb] you?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Avril Lavigne posted:

I challenge anyone to find a worse minimalist fan-made poster than this:

Even if you do know what it's supposed to represent, it still says nothing beyond 'a Proton Pack has four red lights'. Besides which, the official poster with the No-Ghost logo is about as perfect as a minimalist Ghostbusters poster can get.

But have you considered design elements such as Helvetica and some GIS'ed paper texture?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Excelsior posted:

I made a couple minimalist posters in about 2 minutes a piece (the longest part was learning how to do that stupid paper effect):

Should've used Helvetica. Hindsight is 20/20.

Those Miyazaki posters are wonderful, though, even if I'm a little put off by seeing the characters more... realisitically stylized.

You call those minimalist posters? This is a minimalist poster.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Also, more from Olympus Has Fallen

Something about these posters screams "television". I think it's the font choices and the way the title is rendered.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Crystal Skull in the same motif would either have to be tiny Indy standing alone in front of a UFO taking off, or emerging from a fridge in front of a mushroom cloud. So yeah.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Don't ask whether someone is or isn't supposed to be a movie star, ask whether they're right for the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

penismightier posted:

Who on the entire planet doesn't like Will Smith??

I saw someone (possibly a Family Guy character) point out that he says "Aw hell naw" frequently in films and television. Having absorbed this teasing observation, my brain has combined it with my powerful need to vocalize strong opinions, and it has transformed into a festering (if insincere) contrarian hatred for the man.