Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

jojoinnit posted:

Those sunglasses are a worse photoshop job than when Goons do "Deal With It" gifs. How the hell does anyone go "yep, finished product, send it to print"?

Overworked and underpaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This rules.

It's also not a real movie, so don't get your hopes up.

It's not real but it still annoys me that the creator didn't name it "Disney" or really any other title.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah. He has some more posters and a bunch of other graphic design pieces on his website.

Would definitely watch this:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It wouldn't really have mattered if Spider-Man saved people from the World Trade Center.

J. Jonah Jameson would still hate the guy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Robert Denby posted:

Die Hard goodness

I wonder what people thought of the title "Die Hard" as well. It came out when I was a kid so I don't know a time when Die Hard didn't exist, but the title has always seemed ridiculous to me on its own. Like someone trying to do a parody of the most bad-rear end, 70/80s vigilante or cop flicks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The phrase "Die Hard" existed long before the film came out. I think it dates back at least a couple hundred years.

It's an old phrase (I know it more from "old habits...") but in the context it seems silly. It doesn't seem any different than the row upon row of cheesy action movies you'd see in a rental store, or any of a million of the potboiler novels in a book store.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That's why I was wondering what people thought of the title before they knew the movie was good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MrBling posted:

So apparently this is a thing...

I guess Edge at least has some trigger discipline.

And beads, lots of beads.

Needs more people smirking.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

penismightier posted:

The Tagline That Went Too Far.

Indescribable...
Indestructible...
Nothing can stop it!

THE BLURB

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I haven't seen much beyond that Japanese trailer/commercial but I'm more interested in their take on futuristic cities right here on Earth than more Mars stuff. The levitating buildings are a cool idea.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I love the contrast with Brittany Murphy in the middle, because with the other two staring in wonderment and sheer ecstasy, it makes her expression look like "I guess...?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

frumpsnake posted:

The reason you haven't heard of it is that it's a made-for-TV movie that was shot in 2 weeks solely to demonstrate to studio bosses that Salma Hayek could act in English and convince them to approve her casting in Desperado.

Someone had to be convinced to put Salma Hayek in Desperado? Was her competition equally smoking hot or what?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

At the Seattle aquarium a couple years ago, fish started disappearing in their large tank. They figured it was the sharks doing it and set up a camera to record and double check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFOEZh1Lbbg

It was not.

Octopus camouflage will always be amazing to watch. It's so perfect in both the detail and the transition speed. Incredibly creepy and beautiful at the same time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Here's that octopus vid. Octopus out of loving nowhere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmDTtkZlMwM

I like to imagine that as the people in the audience are clapping in amazement, the octopus is in attendance in a nice suit feeling pretty good about himself.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A lot of posters where the hero is firing arrows, but what about when the hero is the arrow's target?

(Though the weapon is actually a crossbow.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm just gonna assume that Gina Gershon is under that Burqua.

This would have worked better as "A New York Minaret".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vagabundo posted:

This one I love. Plays up the height, the rest of the city, and his costume works much better with the other colours. He's also posed much better and with way more Spider-Man flair then the one below which I've never liked, where he looks like he's laying flat against the glass:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

It never occurred to me that I would love a product placement.

But Resse's Pieces in ET and Nike in Back to the Future 2. Love them both.

The least offensive (for lack of a better word) product placement is when the real company advertises using a fake or future product. The shoes in BttF 2 are a perfect example, or the cars in Minority Report, even if the latter were concept cars and not complete fantasy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

I feel like this term has become nearly too blurry to even be used any more. It is kind of like calling Modern Family or The Office a faux documentary because they use OTFs.

So I guess they answer is yes but it isn't tied to the rules on that. By the way if you see this and hate it I apologize in advance.

Well, The Office used to be a faux documentary but that angle was dropped long ago and now the cameras are so omnipresent it's more a taped comedy that allows 4th wall breaking.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So that's how you hold a PlayStation controller. No wonder I kept winning all the time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gonz posted:

What in the goddamn?

"More than just a number."
-"Really? What's its name?"
"Otter 501."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Stare-Out posted:

That's some perspective. What the hell is he standing on?

Out of all the posters where characters are standing at impossible angles, Spider-Man is one character who actually could be.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

cyberia posted:

Are they raiding a factory that manufactures nothing but sparks?

No, Jet Li still had some leftover from The One:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I kept expecting the kid she tells the story to to bust some moves in a fight sequence somewhere because he was also in Forbidden Kingdom with Jackie Chan and Jet Li as the chosen one white boy learning martial arts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'd take any of those covers over the Special Edition Movie Tin Version.

It's the size of a disc.

This picture makes it look like a pill.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Noxville posted:

I think it's been mentioned here how bad the Minority Report Blu-Ray cover is but man I saw it in-store today and it looks even worse in real life.

I don't think Tom Cruise is such poison now that they want to make him look not like Tom Cruise so I don't know what the hell happened here.

This doesn't even make it look like he's doing anything cool, but screwing up the L-for-loser to his forehead.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Y'know, after Casa de mi Padre, which had no English, and The Artist, which had no words at all, I think audiences are ready for this avant-garde movie which will replace dialogue with texting. Is this also that film where audiences are supposed to send a text at the start to receive supplementary, inner monologue texts from the characterss?

kiimo posted:

I really want to know if the trailer for this has a voice over and the guy reading it has to say "LOL" at the end.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mister Chief posted:

I don't understand why the deer has a zombie head stuck on it's antlers.

"Rise of the Mammals Who Are All Relatively Easy to Shoot and Are Probably Mostly Endangered Anyway."

I have a script for a similar movie but where the insects rise up, too. The movie lasts about thirty seconds.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Macaluso posted:

Ridiculous. If cartoons have taught me anything it's that if you get all the bugs to swarm in the shape of a larger bug or something they are unstoppable. Sure a few bees are easy enough, but thousands of bees in the shape of a giant bee or a punching fist?! Or millions of fire ants that rise up to form a human shape or monster! Think big Lobok... the insects did...

We could make the movie last longer by having the insects form all kinds of fun shapes, but I meant the movie was over so quickly because the bugs won instantly.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Let's see. Coriolanus. Shakespeare adaptation.

:clint: Boy, you'd better not give me that artsy-fartsy crap for the Bluray!

I wonder how many people would recognize the movie as Shakespeare if they picked this up thinking it was a raucous action film. It's not one of his well-known plays and maybe with the cast, the viewer would just think it's some kind of British talk, like Cockney rhyming slang.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

futureproof posted:

My brain can't even compute this.

I'd say this deserves a Get In the Cage segment all on its own.

Also, he looks seriously anime there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are you guys spoiling that for people who want to read the comic? Or go see the movie? As far as the movie goes that's speculation and speculation isn't spoiler-worthy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Robert Denby posted:

At some point in high school, we were shown a filmed seminar by a feminist scholar about women's portrayal in media. One thing that really stuck with me was the section on movies, more specifically posters for horror movies. She showed probably a dozen examples where the poster was simply a woman's face with a hand covering the mouth. Lo and behold, that's my :goonsay: nitpick because it gets used on every single horror poster in the last 15/20 years, and I think this was the poster that made it popular:

You sure it's not

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flatluigi posted:

That's not a hand, is it?

It's not a hand but I wonder if the trend isn't simply "covered with hands" but having the mouth covered in general.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nice halo he has going on there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speleothing posted:

That's a very good poster, distinctive, the actors aren't photoshopped, and it tells you what it's about. It's amazing what having the leads actually pose for posters at some point during production can do for you.

The perspective on the capital seems odd, but not implausible. And I get why they did the button like that, and I'm sure a lot of people will like it, but I think it obscures the name of the movie.

A-

The name of the movie is a bit obscured but the name of the movie may as well be Will Ferrell & Zach Galifianakis anyway.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm sure there's something much better but of just those four I prefer The Campaign.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vagabundo posted:

I was wondering if I was the only person thinking that they looked like they were about to start angrily making out.

Maybe there'll be lenticular posters where at one angle their tongues touch.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whoa, sweet, I didn't know T. Rex was headlining at The Comedy Theatre this week! His bit on eating lawyers is hilarious.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My thought is that a poster+title should give some indication of whether or not your movie is even fictional or not, never mind the plot or genre. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a documentary on the history of flight with Washington narrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Robert Denby posted:

Last week I saw a New York Times ad for "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" that used tweets instead of reviews. Frankly, I'm amazed this isn't something that's caught on, especially for movies dependent on word of mouth.

The example to follow here isn't using tweet reviews but simply using the title of the itself. "Look at that, this movie is the 'best'!"