Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm usually arguing for relaxed promotion standards, but even I don't believe Tochinoshin is on a Yokozuna run. I mean, come on, really? Yes, if he wins this basho then he will be on track for a promotion if he wins again, but he is not there now obviously, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Yah definitely not for me. He's going to have to have two good back to back wins as ozeki given his age and injury record (and foreignness).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I don't know why y'all are even talking about Mitakeumi's first yusho like it's going to Tochinoshin.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Mitakeumi unfortunately has this thing where he lays an egg on the second week but so far he is looking very good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takayasu looks bad. This displeases me.

I hope he scrapes together eight wins, licks his wounds and comes back healthy and mentally fit. Which seems more likely without any Yokozuna to worry about I guess?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 14, 2018

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Tochinoshin is officially out of the tournament as well with a toe injury. This is quickly becoming mitakeumi's tournament to lose.

4 of the top 6 wrestlers are out now. At least this makes the path to kachi-koshi easier for the two kadoban ozeki.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
NO GODS NO MASTERS

(Tochinoshin says his toe is swollen and painful, he may come back after putting it on ice for a few days, given he only needs to eke out three more wins to avoid being kadoban for the next tourney.)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Apraxin posted:

NO GODS NO MASTERS

(Tochinoshin says his toe is swollen and painful, he may come back after putting it on ice for a few days, given he only needs to eke out three more wins to avoid being kadoban for the next tourney.)

I hope he's able to come back in the 2nd week. It would be a shame to see him become kadoban right away.

fruity no gay
May 7, 2018

by Cyrano4747
Chiyotairyu will win

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I knew there was a foot problem when he lost the other day. His whole leg buckled when he went for the belt and it looked real bad. Hopefully he is alright and can eek out a few wins next week

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Found a pretty cool interview with Tochinoshin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfNtxtTTyCU

Haven't watched the whole thing yet but it's an hour long and is translated to English via interpreter.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
What the gently caress was Ichinojo v Takakeisho on Day 8?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Barring a major collapse I guess Takayasu escapes kadoban which is good because the way he's looked he's going to be tackling it again p. soon.

e: Here's a fun thing. I can only make out tiny snippets of what's being said but this kind of stuff is always fun to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM6mJ0Vhj9g

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This basho has been a gift for Goeido. All the Yokozuna out before he has to fight them, the strongest Ozeki out, a very weak Sekiwake that he'll be able to blast out of the ring, etc. The sumo Gods just don't want to see him demoted.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I jinxed Takayasu with that "barring a major collapse" thing. Dude just needs one win FFS

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Abi needs to figure out a different strategy, though somehow Yokozuna fall for it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
In all this excitement we missed that Hattorizakura picked up a second career win :unsmith: it was a koshikudake (inadvertent collapse)

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Am I correct in assuming that Mitakeumi will not be promoted even if he goes 15-0?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Konstantin posted:

Am I correct in assuming that Mitakeumi will not be promoted even if he goes 15-0?

That would put him at 30 wins, but I also think that the lack of stiff Ozeki/Yokozuna competition this basho hurts his chances and also the fact that he hasn't scored a 10 or better since January of 2017.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Konstantin posted:

It is an odd situation, but yeah I don't think they would promote him. A very strong yusho would put him on an Ozeki run for September though. (You can't skip the Ozeki rank)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mitakeumi is looking very strong. Obviously he's gotten the gift of a light second week schedule due to injuries, but his footwork in today's match against Kagayaki was very impressive. Quick, strong, and forward. His wins have been very dominant, which is promising for an ozeki run.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Stealing from SumoForum, but oh my god this tiny little shimpan and his terrible call:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6XgX5-QIj8&t=180s

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 19, 2018

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
What...? Did he think the dude on the right touched down with his knee?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
What are Takayasu's injuries? He hasn't had his super strong shoulder blast at the tachiai at any point this tournament and it looks like he has a bad foot.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I must admit, I've enjoying watching Takakeisho play the shoulderblock game and win the past few days.

Jeez, how many arms has Tamawashi claimed to date?

Takayasu :black101:

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 19, 2018

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Aside from reading the OP and knowing the general rules I know nothing about the sport. But I will be in attendance tomorrow at Nagoya. What should I be looking for and who should I cheer for sumogoons?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not sure it's a spoiler if I say that Takayasu and Mitakeumi was a wild ride!

Hella glad Takayasu got the win but I think his toe was out first. Surprised it wasn't a re-do.

If Takayasu is hurt, what are the chances he goes kyujo tomorrow?

Banana Canada posted:

Aside from reading the OP and knowing the general rules I know nothing about the sport. But I will be in attendance tomorrow at Nagoya. What should I be looking for and who should I cheer for sumogoons?

Takayasu if he doesn't withdraw seems to be a favourite here; at least he's my favourite. The comedy option would be Ichinojou.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 19, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It's interesting that they recognize dozens of different kimarite with very slight differences, but that double-underhook drive Sadanoumi pulled off is just yorikiri.

Tamawashi was secretly Pentagon Jr. all along!

Mitakeumi, on the other hand, was the real winner of the match as well as our hearts. #Toegate

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm really looking forward to Mitakeumi vs. Goeido tomorrow. I actually like Goeido a lot, but I'm definitely rooting for Mitakeumi in that match and in the yusho.

Banana Canada posted:

One thing to be prepared for is that it's probably going to be hilarious hot in Dolphins Arena tomorrow. Make sure you have a fan. If you get there early enough (like, 10 am or whatever, got no idea on the actual schedule) you could possibly see Wakaichiro down in the sandanme division. He's an African American/Japanese rikishi from Texas who is 3-3, so it's his shot to get a winning record for first time in sandanme and reach his highest ever rank. He's been fighting really well this tournament!

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Apraxin posted:

Stealing from SumoForum, but oh my god this tiny little shimpan and his terrible call:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6XgX5-QIj8&t=180s

I'd never watched any of the lower ranks (and the view count on some of the videos I watched was like 4), but this got me started and now I can't stop. Lots of crazy bouts.

"Moderately athletic 160lb young guy" vs "320lb geezer looking dude with comb-over-into-bun" maybe isn't top level form, but it's unpredictable and super fun.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm glad they screwed up the last bout. Not because I have anything against Mitakeumi, but because this basho would be over (if not mathematically), and there would be no drama at all if he won. Now, if Goeido could win on Day 13...

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

The AC seems to be working fine in the nosebleeds!

Got a picture with a friendly Jonidan leader named Rao in the cafeteria area.

Why do they sometimes keep resetting at the start of the bout?

Also, how often to front row spectators get injured from falling fatties?

Senior division starts now. So I should be cheering for Ichinojo right :v:? What's the consensus here on the 11-1 fella?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The Man in the Aubergine Mawashi

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Aminishiki has secured his kachi-koshi in Juryo. I wonder if he will make the top division AGAIN since he's ranked Juryo 4. I'm certain ending 10-5 would secure that promotion.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

There's three wrestlers in juryo that outrank him and at the moment are at better records, and two almost certain demotees from makuuchi with maybe three more at risk if they pick up losses. So guess it would take more wins for Aminishiki, and some luck with makuuchi results still. Would be cool to see him up.

Wondering whether we see Sokokurai retirement soon. He went kyujo midway the last tournament, and has sat this entire tournament out at J10, so certainly he's down to makushita. At 34, he might well call it a day if there's injuries. He's kinda unique wrestler as the only active Chinese on the lists - unique also in the sense that he was involved with the match fixing scandal in 2011, told to retire, which he declined to do, was expelled from the sumo association, but fought that in court and was reinstated after two year absence.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

To wrap it up, the sansho:

Mitakeumi won both the Shukun-sho (outstanding performance) and Gino-sho (technique prize).

Yutakayama wM9 and Asanoyama wM13 each won the Kanto-sho (Fighting Spirit Prize)

edit: each prize is worth about $18,000

Rigel fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 22, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is the first time in about a year when I didn't bother to stay up late to watch Day 15 live. It wasn't just that the yusho was decided, but there were also no yokozuna, no Ozeki kadoban drama, and not really any other interesting storylines to wrap up.

The top 3 ranks of the sanyaku will not change for September, since Ichinojo got his 8th win on day 15.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I don't know sumo technique all that well, but Mitakeumi has certainly improved, handily defeating sumotori with styles (or sheer size advantage) that would have vexed him until very recently.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I totally agree. His footwork and ring sense especially seemed very dominant this basho. I really enjoyed watching him in a way that I haven't for the last year.

Yutakayama and Asanoyama were also super fun to watch. Bruce has been saying it over at Tachiai, but Aki should be a wild basho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

John Madden would have been salivating over how Itchy leveled Endo in their bout. That was straight out of the NFL.