Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Takayasu and Kisenosato went to another heya for practice yesterday, and Takayasu went 14-5 against Yutakayama and Asanoyama.

Kisenosato faced Onosho and went 10-3 in what were reportedly wild, all-out bouts. After the practice, Kisenosato was happy and telling the media that things are going well for him.

Tochinoshin faced Tochiozan and Aoiyama, going 8-6. He said he doesn't have time to "work on his sumo", he's only focused on getting back into shape, and hopes he'll be fine when he is in shape.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

Rigel posted:

This is supposedly the official poster for the Aki basho, and if thats true, then its very appropriate. With the possible exception of Mitakeumi's Ozeki run, the biggest storyline going into this tournament is probably Tochinoshin facing Kadoban status so soon after his promotion, and his need to overcome his injury to get 8 wins.

So where can I get myself one of these posters? Coz dang that's cool.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dr. Miracle posted:

So where can I get myself one of these posters? Coz dang that's cool.

None of the (few) shops I see online offer it, and I assume some of the enterprising e-commerce guys who sell sumo poo poo to Americans would have offered something this cool.

This might be a poster in the same way as a movie poster is only for advertising, but not (usually) for sale.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yesterday, Kisenosato had more public training, this time against Tamawashi, and went 9-1. Tamawashi insisted he wasn't holding anything back or "letting" him win. At this point, the sumo nerds who closely follow the sport think its very likely that Kisenosato will compete at Aki, because he's been a credible opponent for low and middle-ranked Makuuchi wrestlers (and a Komosubi today!), but who knows if he can go KK as a Yokozuna when they are all going for a Kinboshi against him in the first week.

Hakuho had a public practice against Takarafuji and a guy in Juryo, and went 13-2. He said his condition "isn't bad".

Takayasu is having back pains and chose not to train after he was already scheduled for public bouts. He said there's still a little time left till the basho and he thinks he'll be ready.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I'm starting to do some research for my May trip and I'm looking at my options for buying tickets to the second week of the tournament since I'll be in Tokyo after the 20th. Is it as simple as getting advance tickets online, or do I need to be there to do it? I'll be in Japan early, but not advace-tickets early so I'm starting to worry a little if being there in person at 3am is the only good way to rack these up.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
If you buy online, you pick up your tickets at the kokugikan on the day. There'll be someone who speaks English to point you at what you need to do. From memory, you need the credit card that you make the purchase with. It's really straight forward and not anything to fret about.

Japan seems pretty good for this kind of thing. I went to the Bunraku in Osaka and it was pretty much the same system.

Just remember to get on it the day the tix go on sale. I think there's a link on the NSK website.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 4, 2018

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome, thanks. I'll be there for most of May but not April which is what I was fretting about. I'll give it a shot though; just need to figure out when they go on sale exactly and start F5'ing the site.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
If you want to not think about it, https://buysumotickets.com will take care of it for you (and mail the tickets to you at home or to a hotel in Japan). There is a markup and you are in a section with everyone else that used their services (i.e. English speaking tourists) though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll wait to see what I can do in April first I guess but thank you for the help!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Are we doing fantasy sumo this basho? It starts in a few days, are we interested in it?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hold up, lets call a halt to the Kisenosato hype train. He trained against Goeido who was not messing around this close to the basho, and Kise went only 3-8 against Goeido. Kisenosato was reportedly getting blasted out repeatedly by Goeido. The only time he was successful was when Kisenosato managed to get a left hand grip during a stall.

Tochinoshin is probably in trouble, he went 15-11 against Mitakeumi and Tochiozan, and he keeps saying he will heal up and be better by the basho, but he's running out of time.

Finally Takayasu faced Tamawashi and he did.... poorly (for an Ozeki), only going 7-6.

Maybe this will end up being Goeido vs Kakuryu?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Rigel posted:

Are we doing fantasy sumo this basho? It starts in a few days, are we interested in it?

If people want to get their drafts in, I'm down to run it. Might as well get the rust off. I think I'm finally settled in after moving, so I'd love an excuse to do more sumo stuff.

To start off with, here are my picks:

Y/O: Kakuryu / Tochinoshin / Goeido
S/K: Mitakeumi / Takakeisho / Ichinojo
M1-5: Yutakayama / Asanoyama / Endo
M6-10: Onosho / Hokutofuji / Shohozan
M11+: Ryuden / Kyokutaisei / Takanosho

I'll do the draft on Friday night!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Y/O: Kakuryu / Tochinoshin / Takayasu
S/K: Mitakeumi / Takakeisho / Tamawashi
M1-5: Kaisei / Abi / Endo
M6-10: Kotoshogiku / Hokutofuji / Aoiyama
M11+: Chiyomaru / Yoshikaze / Ishiura

I picked favorites, not ones with a chance!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'll probably post my picks on Friday. It now looks like Hakuho will enter the tournament, but he's still training against low-ranking opponents.

Hakuho had bouts against Kaisei, Takarafuji, and some juryo guys and went 12-1.

Takayasu and Goeido warmed up against other opponents before facing each other. (6-0 for Goeido against Yutakayama and Shodai, 5-1 for Takayasu against Asanoyama) Goeido beat Takayasu 6 times out of 7 bouts.

Hakuho then went to another heya for training, and went 14-0 against Takanosho, Shodai, and Yutakayama.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Y/O: Takayasu/Goeido/Kakuryu
S/K: Mitakeumi/Tamawashi/Takakeisho
M1-5: Endo/Chiyonokuni/Abi
M6-10: Onosho/Kagayaki/Daishomaru
M11+: Ryuden/Takanoiwa/Kyokutaisei

In it to win it (despite my picks)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

All right, here we go. Kisenosato has publicly announced that he will enter the Aki basho. He is fully prepared and feels good to compete. His Oyakata also announced that he is in the best physical shape since his injury.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Here's three of the seven bouts between Takayasu and Goeido, showing Takayasu's only win and 2 of his losses.

https://twitter.com/azechiazechi/status/1037280801040162816

Rigel fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 6, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Those of you who have already made your picks and pushed all your chips in for Kakuryu..... yeah, what I have to say is only going to make you happy, because Kakuryu is looking awesome.

Kakuryu had a public practice against decent sekitori, and he dominated them. Kakuryu went 12 bouts against Yutakayama and others, and won all 12 of them. After the practice he said "I'm still a bit tired. I want to become a bit healthier as I enter the basho"

Shine on, Kakuryu, you are looking great.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 6, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kisenosato and Onosho went at it again (Onosho is apparently known for always going at it hard in practice, and never backing down from any challenge) In 14 bouts, Kisenosato went 10-4. After the practice, Onosho declared that it was an honor to face Kisenosato, and just beating him 4 times gave him the confidence to think he could do great in the Aki basho.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Y/O: Goeido/Kakuryu/Tochinoshin
S/K: Mitakeumi/Ichinojo/Tamawashi
M1-5: Ikioi/Abi/Shodai
M6-10: Aoiyama/Onosho/Daieisho
M11+: Takanoiwa/Ryuden/Kotoyuki

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Y/O: Tochinoshin/Kakuryu/Goeido
S/K: Ichinojo/Mita/Tamawashi
M1: Endo/Ikioi/Shodai
M6: Shohozan/Aoiyama/Daeisho
M11:Okinomi/Ishiura/Ryuden

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Did the draft! Small field for fantasy this basho, so it's 2 per for Y/O and S/K, and just 1 per for the maegashira.

Fluffdaddy

Y/O: Tochinoshin
S/K: Ichinojo
M1: Endo
M6: Shohozan
M11: Okinomi

Kenning

Y/O: Kakuryu
S/K: Mitakeumi
M1-5: Yutakayama
M6-10: Onosho
M11+: Kyokutaisei

Martytoof

Y/O: Takayasu
S/K: Tamawashi
M1-5: Chiyonokuni
M6-10: Kagayaki
M11+: Ryuden

Rigel

Y/O: Goeido
S/K: Mitakeumi
M1-5: Ikioi
M6-10: Aoiyama
M11+: Takanoiwa

Vargatron

Y/O: Kakuryu
S/K: Takakeisho
M1-5: Kaisei
M6-10: Kotoshogiku
M11+: Chiyomaru

The following wrestlers are unavailable for trading:

Tochinoshin
Kakuryu
Mitakeumi
Endo
Kaisei
Chiyonokuni
Yutakayama
Ikioi
Aoiyama
Onosho
Kagayaki
Kotoshogiku
Shohozan
Okinoumi
Ryuden
Kyokutaisei
Takanoiwa

The current wire is:

Fluffdaddy
Vargatron
Martytoof
Kenning
Rigel

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm banking it all on Takayasu :tipshat:

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Since our favorite Georgian is Kadoban I feel like he’s going to get the sumo spirit this week

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Its weird, but I haven't been this excited about watching the first day of a sumo basho in..... ever!

There are so many awesome, compelling stories going on here, loving everyone from Sekiwaki on up has a very interesting story.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Bruce at Tachiai has been hyping Aki as the basho of the year since like Haru. He's been saying it'll probably be where all the trends and big players in those trends converge in a big watershed tournament that'll mark a true shift of eras. That may be a little grandiose, but it's certainly seeming like there's gonna be some really great sumo and exciting bouts to follow. I'm stoked as hell.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Day 1: Well, that was really fun.

Everyone who should have won, did win except for the king of offseason training, Goeido, who looked like he just rolled out of bed right before his match.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wonder if everyone who loses to Ishiura immediately facepalms and says "ohhhhhh yeah, the henka, I forgot"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Martytoof posted:

I wonder if everyone who loses to Ishiura immediately facepalms and says "ohhhhhh yeah, the henka, I forgot"

When I saw that, I rolled my eyes and went "you idiot, you deserved to lose that match"

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's a bit like having a big blobman in the ranks. If you want to get to the top you need to be able to beat someone heavier than you with no technique, someone smaller than you with more maneuverability and someone older than you with experience and cunning.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Day 2:

Holy crap Kisenosato! He lives to fight another day.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Day 2: Hakuho and Kakuryu are both looking very, very good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Day 2 fantasy standings:

code:
Fluffdaddy	5
Kenning		4
Martytoof	5
rigel		5
Vargatron	5
That Enho win was loving incredible today. Wish that kid was 6 inches taller.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

After 3 days, the hype has not died down at all. This is shaping up to be a very good, exciting basho!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ura lost on day 3, so he will not get a shortcut back into Makushita. (If he went 7-0 and won the Sandanme yusho, there was a chance that they may have promoted him into Makushita if he looked like he was dominating) Hopefully he'll at least go 6-1 or 5-2 and get into high Sandanme.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Wakaichiro lost on day 2. His first opponent was the Jonidan yusho winner, so this was a tough match for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVzVVrfP2F8

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Lol two people fell on Shoudai while he was waiting

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This isn't really a surprise because he could barely walk after his match on Day 3, but Kyokutaisei is kyujo. Ryuden will get the free win.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Catching up. Is no one else going to remark on that utchari from Day 1? Looked like murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That was a totally sick move. Maybe Yoshi is back?

Day 3 standings:

code:
Fluffdaddy	6
Kenning		8
Martytoof	7
rigel		7
Vargatron	9
Since he's kyujo now, I'm going to trade Kyokutaisei for Yoshikaze. Playing my favorite guys.

Also, holy gently caress I never thought I'd say this, but Kisenosato is looking like a real yokozuna again. His wins are convincing and his ring sense and defense are impressively solid. I hope it lasts the whole basho!

The current wire is:

Fluffdaddy
Vargatron
Martytoof
Rigel
Kenning

Kenning fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 12, 2018