Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Much appreciated, I'm happy with either Japanese or English so all good. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You can also play Fantasy Sumo with us if you want! You can read the full rules from earlier in the thread, but the important bit for players is just the part on drafting. I found fantasy really helped me learn the lower-ranked guys.

Everybody who's interested post your picks by the Saturday before opening day. I'm traveling for the holidays, but I'll be home in time to post a draft and then run the games.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If you want to watch it live, D i (d space i) streams it on youtube, then immediately deletes the stream. There's also a couple people on twitch.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Sometimes I watch Jason's all sumo channel on youtube, its pretty good but he doesnt get all the fights

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Thanks all, I'll check it out and see about getting in on the fantasy game if I have time.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Hey so I'm interested in watching sumo and I only vaguely know the rules. One question I have is how do they decide who puts their hands down first? From watching it seems like when all 4 hands touch the ground then the bout starts. In instances like this video (20:15 if the link doesn't work) is it just a matter of patience?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txBYtfe2ZU4&t=1215s

at 24:30 it kind of happens again

And they get stuck in one position for like a full minute. That's crazy.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 2, 2020

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ilmucche posted:

Hey so I'm interested in watching sumo and I only vaguely know the rules. One question I have is how do they decide who puts their hands down first? From watching it seems like when all 4 hands touch the ground then the bout starts. In instances like this video (20:15 if the link doesn't work) is it just a matter of patience?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txBYtfe2ZU4&t=1215s

at 24:30 it kind of happens again

And they get stuck in one position for like a full minute. That's crazy.

There are no hard rules on who puts their hands down first, but obviously whoever puts their hands down second to decide when the match begins has a (small) advantage. There are some unwritten rules and customs on this.

Generally, if there is a significant difference in rank (like a Yokozuna vs a rank and file wrestler), the higher ranked guy is almost always going to insist on their opponent putting their hands down first, and the lower ranked guy usually understands. If they are close in rank, its less clear unless one guy wants to be stubborn. Then you also get mind games like when one guy is down and the other guy makes him wait forever so that the tachiai is (hopefully) a bit unexpected, which often results in a matta or the guy down saying "ok enough of this nonsense, lets reset". Sometimes the higher ranked guy will put his hands down first, as if he's saying "whatever, you are no threat, lets just get this over with"

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Also, strictly enforcing the hands down rule is a relatively recent thing. If you look at old footage you'll see a ton of wrestlers just crouch down briefly then go.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
This is making me think of a Hakuho-Kisenosato match where Kise dicks about with his hands causing a bunch of mattas (I think he's trying some mind game with Hak). Hak obviously pissed and pulls a henka when they finally get going. Can't for the life of me find it.

Anyone know which one I'm after?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
So this is where the thread is at. Y'all don't want to join the other combat sports? Not obscure enough already?

Anyway, for some insane reason YouTube recommended me a supercut of tochinoshin's 15 fights at his last fat man games. I understood with some googling that he'd been demoted from the rank below yokozuna after a couple of poor showings and needed 10 wins to restore his rank and honour. I loving love narratives. And I loved the fights. I'm looking forward to the next tournament.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The sad part is, though, Tochi is pretty much done. He keeps re-injuring his ACL and can't take the time to let it come back to 100% (even if it could, which is doubtful). I want to see him come back and powerlift the other guys out of the ring on a daily basis, but I just don't see it happening.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
don't worry i'm sure huge foreigners with abnormally massive front delts from picking up fat men and placing them over a rope on the ground are a dime a dozen

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

So this is where the thread is at. Y'all don't want to join the other combat sports? Not obscure enough already?

Anyway, for some insane reason YouTube recommended me a supercut of tochinoshin's 15 fights at his last fat man games. I understood with some googling that he'd been demoted from the rank below yokozuna after a couple of poor showings and needed 10 wins to restore his rank and honour. I loving love narratives. And I loved the fights. I'm looking forward to the next tournament.

Unfortunately Tochinoshin already lost his chance for return to Ozeki (the Novemeber tournament was the one he could have bounced back with the 10). But the narrative still holds as Takayasu now finds himself in the situation of needing 10 to bounce back.

Other fun stories:
1) Hakuho the GOAT. He’s getting on in years, but when he’s healthy he’s still dominant but it’s getting to the point where he has trouble holding up for a whole tournament.
2) Goeido, the veteran Ozeki was hurt any missed the last tournament so he needs 8 to keep his rank or he drops down like Tochi did.
3) Not necessarily a story, but If you haven’t seen them, Endo and Ishiura are fun to watch. Super tiny guys (barely over 200 lbs) in a land of giants that hold their own with crazy moves

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hakuho is some insane poo poo if you wanna see a GOAT. He's already "past his prime" and still dominates bashos when he's healthy. Even as someone that doesn't "know" sumo, it's pretty evident that he's something special. As for everyone else, Endo is cool, I'm personally a fan of "gently caress technique, I can just slap you" Mitakeumi too.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Yeah the only guys I really know so far are Tochinoshin, Enho, and Hakuho. I can’t wait to follow the next basho live-ish

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

Unfortunately Tochinoshin already lost his chance for return to Ozeki (the Novemeber tournament was the one he could have bounced back with the 10). But the narrative still holds as Takayasu now finds himself in the situation of needing 10 to bounce back.

Other fun stories:
1) Hakuho the GOAT. He’s getting on in years, but when he’s healthy he’s still dominant but it’s getting to the point where he has trouble holding up for a whole tournament.
2) Goeido, the veteran Ozeki was hurt any missed the last tournament so he needs 8 to keep his rank or he drops down like Tochi did.
3) Not necessarily a story, but If you haven’t seen them, Endo and Ishiura are fun to watch. Super tiny guys (barely over 200 lbs) in a land of giants that hold their own with crazy moves

Huh? I must have watched an old video or something because in the video I saw Tochi made it back to ozeki, but I'll be watching Takayasu keenly because it's a simple story with an underdog protag.

Hakuho is really obviously incredible. Reminds me of Bernard Hopkins winning a world title pushing 50 in that he switched up his style as his body aged and leaned heavily on experience and other intangibles to win out over guys 20 years his junior at the very peak of their athletic careers. I absolutely adore athletes that are able to do this.

Finally, thanks for the Endo / Ishiura recs, as yes, it really is fascinating to see little-ish guys (hell, even Hakuho is pretty small) win out with technique.

One final observation I just need some clarity on: I am hearing laughter when one of the giant fat dudes go tumbling right? I understand these guys are treated like gods but I find it really human when the audience laughs when one of their giant national heroes are forced to do comedic prat falls by a skilled opponent.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After being told there was this thread, and reading up and watching some of the bashos from 2019 I think given that I live so close to Japan I may try and get over to Fukuoka to watch the Kyushu Basho this year as a mini vacation/excuse to get out of Korea for a bit. Anyone have experience going to a tournament in Japan as a non-Japanese or can point me to a reputable source?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 3, 2020

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

Huh? I must have watched an old video or something because in the video I saw Tochi made it back to ozeki

Yeah, he went kadoban after withdrawing in July after six straight losses, then dropped to sekiwake after going 6-9 in September, then dropped to maegashira after withdrawing in November with a 2-3 record. But the fact he can reach ozeki but can't keep a firm grip on it tells me he's peaked.

I mean, he could prove me wrong - please Tochi prove me wrong - but the facts are the facts and they're not pointing at ozeki again.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Mekchu posted:

After being told there was this thread, and reading up and watching some of the bashos from 2019 I think given that I live so close to Japan I may try and get over to Fukuoka to watch the Kyushu Basho this year as a mini vacation/excuse to get out of Korea for a bit. Anyone have experience going to a tournament in Japan as a non-Japanese or can point me to a reputable source?

The only annoying thing is getting tickets. The live experience is very good. There is a lot more delay between bouts that you might expect if you just watch YouTube bout reels. Go early and see the undercards as well.

The only bummer from my perspective is that it is extremely not obvious who is actually in the bout from the stands.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool, I'll definitely look into doing the November tournament. I saw some website selling tickets for January and the price isn't too awful for a baseline estimate.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Why is henka regarded with such disdain? I'm watching a video where they say one guy is even expected and known for it.

Also the next bout is two guys slapping the poo poo out of each other and all over the ring. Very exciting.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ilmucche posted:

Why is henka regarded with such disdain? I'm watching a video where they say one guy is even expected and known for it.

Also the next bout is two guys slapping the poo poo out of each other and all over the ring. Very exciting.

Depends on the context. The odd random henka from a rank and filer early on, or if someone is desperate to get their kachi-koshi in the last 2 days? OK, and his opponent should expect it.

A henka from someone in the top ranks near the end of the tournament when it matters for the leaderboard and he's not desperate for a win? Legal, but not cool at all, and the audience/fans/sumo media will let him have it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

Yes, this thread probably belongs in the combat sports subforum.

Marching Powder posted:

Huh? I must have watched an old video or something because in the video I saw Tochi made it back to ozeki, but I'll be watching Takayasu keenly because it's a simple story with an underdog protag.

In May 2019, after back to back losing records as Ozeki, he was demoted to Sekiwake and given his one-time-only chance to get back with 10 wins, which he did (10th win on the 14th day was a henka, which everyone was fine with because he was truly desperate). However, due to his never-ending ACL injury, he again had back to back losing records in July and September, got demoted for November, and was not able to get his 10 wins. He tumbled all the way down to the rank and file for the January tournament.

Here are the storylines for January:

Hakuho (the GOAT, and when when we say GOAT, we mean the best in all recorded history going back hundreds of years) is the defending champion. If he's healthy, he's always the heavy favorite.

No one is currently on any kind of Yokozuna or Ozeki run for January. Goeido is kadoban, he needs 8 wins to avoid demotion. Takayasu has been demoted to Sekiwake, he needs 10 wins to regain his Ozeki rank. If he fails, then he starts all over from scratch on the road to promotion back to Ozeki.

Asanoyama had a good tournament at Komusubi, was tied for 2nd behind Hakuho, and was promoted to Sekiwake. It'll be interesting to see if he can keep it up, and he's still fairly young.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 3, 2020

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Really, Hakuho is a pretty strong candidate for the GOAT of all GOATs

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Agreed. In a sport with such rich history and record keeping, he's rewriting the entire top end of what's possible and what should be expected for the GOAT discussion.

Championships: 43, 1st place (+11 over 2nd place)
Undefeated championships: 15, 1st (+7 over 2nd place)
Career wins: 1146, 1st (+99 over 2nd, no one active anywhere near this!)
Makuuchi wins: 1052, 1st (nearly +200 over 2nd)
Win/loss ratio: 84.7%, best in the modern era with over 200-300 more matches than anyone else in the top 5
Tournaments as Yokozuna: 74, 1st (+11 over 2nd)

Special feats:
63 consecutive wins, tied for 2nd all time
Has achieved 86/90 wins in a year twice, the best mark in a calendar year. Is the only wrestler to have more than one 81+ win year (Hakuho has four years such, lol)
93 tournaments in Makuuchi, with January 2020 he'll move into sole possession of 5th place all time with 94. If he can make it through another year he'll crack 100 tournaments in the top division early next year and we'll have to see if his longevity and ability will hold up for him to reach Kaio's mark of 107 tournaments in the top division.

I'm probably leaving out some records or other notable achievements but dang, Hakuho's the GOAT

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Some early updates, most of the rikishi will be going for degeiko this weekend and early next week. (degeiko = practice matches between wrestlers in competing sumo stables, where they go harder than normal practice, but not as hard as a basho)

Hakuho: He says he feels great, and could compete right now.

Kakuryu: no news

Takakeisho: he is recovering from a fever, possible flu.

Goeido: He says his ankle is recovering, but he's taking it slowly and carefully. He plans to perform at the YDC soken on 1/6, and has started visiting other heya for degeiko. He only recently started working on his tachiai, there's not much time left to prepare.

Others: Takayasu says his back is "getting better" he hasn't done much serious training yet. We'll see....

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Omnikin posted:

Agreed. In a sport with such rich history and record keeping, he's rewriting the entire top end of what's possible and what should be expected for the GOAT discussion.

Championships: 43, 1st place (+11 over 2nd place)
Undefeated championships: 15, 1st (+7 over 2nd place)
Career wins: 1146, 1st (+99 over 2nd, no one active anywhere near this!)
Makuuchi wins: 1052, 1st (nearly +200 over 2nd)
Win/loss ratio: 84.7%, best in the modern era with over 200-300 more matches than anyone else in the top 5
Tournaments as Yokozuna: 74, 1st (+11 over 2nd)

Special feats:
63 consecutive wins, tied for 2nd all time
Has achieved 86/90 wins in a year twice, the best mark in a calendar year. Is the only wrestler to have more than one 81+ win year (Hakuho has four years such, lol)
93 tournaments in Makuuchi, with January 2020 he'll move into sole possession of 5th place all time with 94. If he can make it through another year he'll crack 100 tournaments in the top division early next year and we'll have to see if his longevity and ability will hold up for him to reach Kaio's mark of 107 tournaments in the top division.

I'm probably leaving out some records or other notable achievements but dang, Hakuho's the GOAT

I read somewhere, might have been in the OP, that anyone who beats a yokozuna and is elligible gets a gold star award and that also comes with a 20k a year LIFETIME pay rise. That seemed sort of absurd to me until I looked at Hakuho's wikipedia. Yeah, sure, beat that guy and get 20k.

Speaking of Hakuho, wasn't he the guy Tochi beat via henka earlier in 2019 to get his rank back? DId Tochi get a gold star for that? Or do you have to beat a Yokozuna the, uh, proper way?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

I read somewhere, might have been in the OP, that anyone who beats a yokozuna and is elligible gets a gold star award and that also comes with a 20k a year LIFETIME pay rise. That seemed sort of absurd to me until I looked at Hakuho's wikipedia. Yeah, sure, beat that guy and get 20k.

Speaking of Hakuho, wasn't he the guy Tochi beat via henka earlier in 2019 to get his rank back? DId Tochi get a gold star for that? Or do you have to beat a Yokozuna the, uh, proper way?

Gold star victories are only available for those ranked in the Maegashira. So yeah, if a random rank and file guy beats a yokozuna, he deserves that lifetime bonus. Its only about $2,200/year US dollars tho. (240k yen) Tochi would get a gold star if he beat Hakuho or Kakuryu in january, since he fell all the way down to the rank and file.

Back when Kisenosato was still struggling as a wounded yokozuna on his way out, he was making it rain kinboshi, lots of random guys got nice lifetime pay bumps from him before he finally retired.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 3, 2020

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

You only get the star if you beat a Yokozuna at the basic M1-16/17 ranks. When you get to the sanyaku ranks of K/S/O you are expected to be competitive so you don’t get the upset bonus.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ahh, nice one. thanks for the additonal info.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The expense of the payments for kinboshi is no doubt one of the reasons there's pressure to retire if you are struggling at the top. Hakuho is a real outlier both in ability and longevity.

It does make me wonder how a Hakuho-less decade might have shaped up. How would his 40+ wins have been distributed? Harumafuji, Kakuryu and Kisenosato's reputations as yokozuna are limited by both the comparison to an all time great, but also by having their total numbers of tournament wins lowered by Hakuho soaking them all up.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Someone on sumoforum actually did this a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can dig up the post later.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kakuryu would have been without a doubt considered a great yokozuna. Except.... well, he came up during Hakuho's peak, so he's merely pretty good.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Here we go - it was done in 2015, so not super up to date, but will give you an idea:

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/34300-what-if-there-was-no-hakuho-the-yushos-instead-go-to/?tab=comments#comment-285702

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Man, Kise’s career looks a whole lot different. If he gets promoted in that 4 win/playoff streak, he probably isn’t an idiot about his injury since his status would have been normalized and the pressure would have been off. He’s probably still around and looking like a pretty solid Yokozuna instead of the mess his end of career turned out to be. And that doesn’t even consider if he snaps his mental block earlier and doesn’t choke as much.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Hakuho is undoubtedly the best at sumo. I super wish he'd retire soon. He's pretty boring to watch because you already know the outcome of his matches. It's great when he loses, but he's either going to win the whole thing or drop out regardless of what happens.

He's just a damp blanket smothering the Basho if he shows up and decides to stick around.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Well that saves me having to do the work!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

So.... sumo guys die super loving young huh? Like, way earlier than fat, unfair people (or so it seems). Is anyone studying this?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Sports science in sumo is waaaaaay behind. They'll get a concussion protocol in about 2050 I'd reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

So.... sumo guys die super loving young huh? Like, way earlier than fat, unfair people (or so it seems). Is anyone studying this?

Not necessarily. Most sumo wrestlers quickly lose a ton of weight after they retire. All those shimpan in the black robes during the matches? All of them were sumo wrestlers. Not all of them do though, ex-kisenosato is still pretty drat heavy, but maybe it is just taking him more time.