Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Is the bandaging on Tochinoshin's upper arms there for medical reasons, wrestling reasons or to cover up tattoos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
He's clearly got balance, intelligence and technique, but he's never going to be able to consistently beat larger opponents unless he can manage to bulk up a little.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Banzuke for Haru is out

Chiyotairyu, Takayasu and Ikoi get their just rewards from their good work in January, but not exactly much else to talk about with everyone at the top doing enough to stay put.

I'm personally hoping Tochinoshin can make a push back into the sanyaku ranks.

Anyone know anything about the newcomers from Juryo?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
You know what's an even better idea? Not dropping rank because of an injury. Masunoyama has a dangerous, but easily fixable, heart condition massively impacting his stamina in bouts, but can't take time off to sort it out without being penalised.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

TotallyGreen posted:

Currently, while it doesn't prevent it, the only thing faking injury does for the Rikishi is save face. He still counts as losing every match. If he could say instead "oh, poo poo, I'm hurt, don't count these loses", it would happen much more and be much more destabilizing.

As for who needs a break? Don't draw the line. Keep the system as is. I was just lamenting the fact that Masunoyama, who has a legitimate, provable, non-sumo-related "injury" can't get it fixed without losing rank. He's the only person I'm aware of who I think should get an exception, but I agree that exceptions are problematic so he should probably just suck it up and take the loss of rank.

I suspect he's assuming at some point he'll pick up a knock which will require him to take a break anyway and he'll get the surgery then

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Juryo next Basho or the one after could be interesting with this number of demotion-causing injuries to decent rikishi

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Looking up potential roadblocks (other than another injury) to Baruto going 15-0 I notice that he has never fought Takanoyama...

Tochinoshin has beaten him once before as well, I guess

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Fryhtaning posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't even realize Tochinoshin was in Juryo. Wow, how did that happen? He has rock solid technique and insane strength. Maybe he was nursing an injury or something. He should tear the poo poo out of Juryo as well.

Edit: If Takanoyama beats Baruto then Baruto should just retire. He just needs to stand straight up on the tachi-ai and get one hand on him and fling him out.

Tochinoshin had a bad run at the top order then got an injury last basho, hopefully he'll bounce back up

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Day 9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljwRQQfYKvs
It's awesome throws and interesting kimarite day

also lol Kisenosato

E: changed it to the corrected video

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 20, 2014

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Is it bad that I always root against the super-fatties?
Endo destroying Gagamaru was awesome

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7UXYVLGzoY
Yeah Satoyama's got a fanclub for life for just that one move

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Man what a cop-out by Kisenosato, crying off injured rather than face going 7-8 in the ring

Also poor Satoyama, losing out on kachi-koshi and gino-sho and facing possible demotion over a slight hairpull that didn't even benefit him

Hakuho-Kakuryu was tense as hell and awesome sumo both times

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
What proportion of the kensho goes directly to the rikishi? I'm guessing his heya would take a cut at least?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Tochinoshin all the way down at Makushita 55 :smith:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It was nice to see Osunaarashi pass the Gagamaru test. Comfortably beating that lump of blubber is a good sign his technique is catching up with his enthusiasm and physicality.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
What set of criteria does Goeido need to fulfil to get the promotion to Ozeki?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

anakha posted:

Kisenosato-Harumafuji was a drat satisfying brawl.

It's a really good job Kisenosato never managed to meet the reduced criteria for promotion because he would have been a total embarrassment as Yokozuna

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I literally exclaimed "holy poo poo" when watching that.

Very happy to see Tochinoshin bounce back from injury and dominate Makushita (as you'd expect him to). Is 7-0 at Ms55 enough to immediately get promotion to Juryo, considering his placement that low is just due to a long spell of absence?

Goiedo got the job done, and I'd expect him to win against Aoiyama tomorrow, meaning he'd only need 11 wins next time out to have 30 from 3 basho (or potentially 10 if he could win on day 15 as well)

Last but not least holy poo poo Kotoshogiku. If Hakuho's finger is broken or dislocated that could hand Kakuryuu his first basho and put him on the way to promotion as well

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Awesome basho!

I'm particularly glad Osunaarashi scraped kk after his injury spell and Goeido - who's becoming a personal favourite of mine - had a great run, and is well set-up for an Ozeki push in May. Kakuryu knocking on the Yokozuna door and an excellent couple of inter-Yokozuna bouts going Harumafuji's way is the icing on the cake.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Kikkoman posted:

Goeido's a straight choker, but with the Ozekis thinning out the way they have I wouldn't be surprised to see him becoming Ozeki in July. The only thing I really like about him is how often he'll start staredowns with just about anyone and get wrecked right after. Big examples are against Hakuho and Shohzan. It's still fun though because the crowd always gets way into it

I've got a soft spot for chokers, to be fair. Kisenosato can get hosed, though

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Uncle Jam posted:

Tochinoshin looks like he won't get promoted, I was told by people more knowledgeable than me. I was hoping for promotion too because I was watching his bouts and he almost killed a mans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21mXMQIY0NA

Actually looking at the records he handed 3 guys their only losses, he was paired up with good dudes for the division.

On the bright side goon favorite Takonoyama should be back in Juryo next time.

Tochinoshin was placed at Ms55, I guess that's too many places to jump in one go, even with a 7-0. He was demoted that far for being out injured for 3.5 basho so I guess expecting him to get back to Makuuchi in fewer than 3 tournaments is optimistic. He'll be top-end Makushita next time, which should still be a cakewalk - with another 7-0 he could reasonably expect a high entry into Juryo and only spend one basho there before getting back where he belongs (assuming he can stay fit this time)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
OK so riddle me this: Chiyootori and Aoiyama were both M5 last basho and both had a 9-6 record, but Chiyootori gets promoted to komusubi whereas Aoiyama is only M1

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

a false posted:

chiyootori is japanese.

e: as a serious answer i don't know why chiyootori was promoted over aoiyama. maybe because he faced an ozeki and aoiyama didn't?

I was thinking maybe because Chiyootori had a winning record in the previous basho, and Aoiyama didn't. But then Chiyootori's win in January was against far weaker opponents than Aoiyama's loss.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm all for Aoiyama not getting promotions he deserves because his Michelin man fat rolls are really gross

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Gagamaru's grey blubber...

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Day 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEVsKkS4NeE

So many sotogakes this basho! It's getting ridiculous.

Awesome throws too, particularly that kotenage from Ikioi.

Harumafuji was unlucky to have lost after that steamroller of a tachi-ai, but kudos to Toyonoshima for withstanding it and getting the win.

Hakuho's got at least one loss in him in the basho, he's just not looking his imperious best (and yet he's the only one who's undefeated!)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Goeido needs to beat at least one Yokozuna to get a good enough result for an Ozeki promotion. Don't think he's got it in him this time.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Yoshikaze is becoming a new favourite of mine

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Too little, too late this basho for Goeido I fear. I suppose there's the very slim chance he can win every remaining match (Kakuryu, then presumably Kisenosato, Kotoshogiku and one of Ikioi or Endo, possibly Kyokutenho or Shohozan), then he'd be 10-5 and that's enough for promotion on paper, but is 8-7, 12-3, 10-5 really good enough? I suppose if you beat two Yokozuna and two Ozeki to do it, it might. Long shot anyway.

Tochinoshin continues to mutilate Makushita, still on course to be back in Makuuchi in September.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Hakuho robbed Goeido, not cool

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Down in Makushita, Tochinoshin, on his return from injury tour of the lower divisions, only needs to beat Ms48 Akua tomorrow to go 7-0 and secure a good placement in Juryo next time round

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'd imagine it's supposed to be 30 from 3 at Sekiwake, the 11-4 two basho ago was at Komusubi. It does mean he now has about the same chance of promotion next time as Goeido, although on paper Goeido only needs 10 wins (again) next time compared to Tochiozan. Good one to watch, certainly. They could both do it, of course.

On another note, the various Chiyos' suspiciously good performances in March look even more suspicious now they've all had make-koshis.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Sokokurai :drat:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
A slow start to the day but there are some great bouts in there. Goeido's escape from Tochiozan was great to see, and holy hell Osunaarashi!

In Juryo, Tochinoshin is 5-0 on the return from injury tour. Hopefully a strong result (especially if he wins Juryo) would have him promoted straight back up to Makuuchi without having to spend another basho in the lower leagues. If he could get a third back-to-back zensho it would be silly to keep him out of the top division, surely?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
...and then an extra shove and a stare down

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Uncle Jam posted:

Go on a trip and miss all the interesting stuff!

Yeah, about that...
Ichinojo is still 6-0 though in Juryo, in his 4th basho ever.
Dude is ridiculous.

OK so no zensho, but he's still in there at 6-1. Ichinojo now at 7-0, insane.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Day 8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zagd8WwVhUw

I don't think I spoil anything by saying Hakuho-Osunaarashi was the bout of the day

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm super chuffed with Goeido's almost certain promotion, I think it's completely reasonable to lower the bar in the age of Hakuho (and two other yokozuna).

My boy Tochinoshin did what he needed to do, and I guess his experience has shown. Ichinojo's record remains outstanding.

I'm also glad not to have to see Gagamaru's blubber for a little while. It's good to have enough mid-ranked guys with the technical ability to get one-dimensional globs of fat relegated.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boFNXNzZnqE

Ichinojo is completely showing up Endo and I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Great day of sumo all around!