Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After being told there was this thread, and reading up and watching some of the bashos from 2019 I think given that I live so close to Japan I may try and get over to Fukuoka to watch the Kyushu Basho this year as a mini vacation/excuse to get out of Korea for a bit. Anyone have experience going to a tournament in Japan as a non-Japanese or can point me to a reputable source?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool, I'll definitely look into doing the November tournament. I saw some website selling tickets for January and the price isn't too awful for a baseline estimate.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a Japanese Sports Culture thing. There was a 30-for-30 podcast episode on the first Japanese player to cross over from the Nippon league to MLB and part of his issues with wanting to leave the Nippon league was that his coaches/general manager demanded that because he was such a good pitcher he had to keep pitching despite being injured because ~reasons (aka they were a crap team and in Japan as well as Korea they lean super heavy on the best players thus breaking them entirely rather than accepting they need time to heal/recuperate).

Edit - It's called The Loophole and is about Hideo Nomo.

https://30for30podcasts.com/episodes/the-loophole/

Edit 2 - Here's the relevant transcript

ANDREW MUSCATO: But in 1994 Nomo’s team, the Kintetsu Buffaloes, hired a new manager, Keishi Suzuki. Suzuki was a Hall of Fame pitcher — but also a real hard-rear end.

ROBERT WHITING: And his philosophy was — A pitcher should pitch until his arm falls off and that the best way to cure a sore arm is to go out and throw more — So he figured if he could do it then everybody else could.

ANDREW MUSCATO: Suzuki represented an old-school Japanese coaching style that Nomo had always resisted.

[NHK INTERVIEW, 1997

HIDEO NOMO: Coaches were very strict. They put more emphasis on attitude and choice of words than what you do in practice.]

ANDREW MUSCATO: Kozo Abe, is a longtime Tokyo Sports editor.

KOZO ABE: It’s Japanese traditional way of karate and the judo teacher says, “Do this way” and if you don’t do that teacher will get mad. That’s Japanese culture.

ANDREW MUSCATO: Nomo’s obedience to Suzuki landed him on the disabled list for most of the season.

ROBERT WHITING: Nomo said his right arm hurt so much he had to drive his car with his left hand. So that animosity towards Suzuki was the start of it all.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 5, 2020