Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I just started watching tournament recaps on NHK World recently and it's really something I try to go out of my way to catch now. Never thought it'd be something I found interesting until I actually gave it a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Curious about the experience of actually going to watch one of these live. NHK and YouTube recaps throw everything into a dozen or so minutes, but how long is the event typically? A few hours?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks! I'll have to check it out :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo I can't believe Kisenosato pulled it out. Based on day 14 I thought his loss would be a foregone conclusion. This seemed like a neat story to start following Sumo to. I don't really have anyone I'm following specifically but this was awesome to see.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 27, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So grand tournaments are what, every other month? I kind of have to rely on NHK world which only covers that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome. I'll have to throw it on my calendar so I know to start watching. Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is throwing cushions into the ring a thing that happens? I mean apparently it is, but what's the story there after the last match?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As a fan of a sport where people throw clothes onto the ice, I can appreciate what I saw :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How do the bout prizes work? I'm not sure what they're called but I'm referring to the envelopes full of what I assume is cash moneys. What's the logic behind who gets paid what for wins? I saw Kisenosato got a giant stack for his win but other bouts went completely without, unless I didn't notice.

Day three was fun and I'm rooting for Takayasu.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 16, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Makes sense, thanks. But then the bouts with no envelopes just didn't get any interest from sponsors?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 17, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks guys. The stuff surrounding sumo is super interesting too, it turns out :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takayasu delivered an awesome win :cool:

Fryhtaning posted:

The technical name for that is kensho, and that's all correct. Half the kensho goes to the Sumo association and the other half goes to the winner of the bout. There's always an uber-detailed thread on kensho for each basho on our favorite sumo site.

This is great info, thanks!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 18, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What are the chances that his arm is still jacked? He seemed to be able to use it well enough but that may not be an indicator of pain or discomfort.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dang, was hoping Takayasu could keep steamrolling. That bummer aside, Terenofuji's bout was really fun.

There's a very distinct thing that the gyoji yells during most/all bouts, repeatedly. Anyone know what that is or what it means? Googling is being surprisingly useless today.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That was an awesome watch. So many rikishi flying. Bummed that Takayasu lost that but it was an exciting match so I can't be too upset.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is Aoiyama bad or is he just having a bad tournament? Today looked like the first time he put up much of a fight.

I ask as someone who tuned in probably halfway through the last tournament so I don't have much history.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mary Annette posted:

Takayasu yaaaaaay

x100. Not only way the bout what I wanted to see but it was exciting to boot.

There was a lot to see today. Super entertaining and competitive for the most part. I've never really watched a sport where I'm really watching every round regardless of whether I care about the participant or not; Until now. Even with hockey I'll tune out if I don't care about the team but the fact that these are thirty second bouts gives me a chance to watch everything.

I'm really hoping to see some Sumo when I head up to Japan next year. I'll have to make sure I shift my trip to a tournament month, if tickets are relatively straightforward to get. If that's optimistic, is there a different series of tournaments I could try to attend?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A great bout to end the tournament on. July basho can't get here soon enough.

Can't wait to see how Takeyasu handles himself as an Ozeki. I'm pulling for him, admittedly just out of the blue. A lot of fun to watch.

And back to noob questions: What was the meaning behind the arrows the gyoji handed out after some bouts? Are those indicative of some of the special prizes being handed out?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kisenosato looks good again. I'm relieved.

Also first Ozeki win for Takayasu :yayclod:

The Hakuho bout was great too. Disappointed that I missed day one but this was a great make-up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I like Hakuho but I'm always rooting for a huuuge upset :)

Almost had one today.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takayasu/Tochinoshin was so fun to watch.

Lots of great bouts :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hakuho Ura was great. Competitive to the very end.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takayasu Ura was amazing. Takayasu's the man but Ura is fun to watch :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takayasu buddy get your poo poo together.

Hakuho v Tamawashi was beast mode.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 20, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Disappointed in Takayasu's ozeki-debut results but it was a fun basho. Also had a blast watching Ishiura and Ura, results notwithstanding.

Definitely going to plan my trip around one of the tournaments next year. Maybe not the sweaty July one though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did Gagamaru come in partly into the basho or was he there from day one? I don't remember seeing him on opening day but maybe I wasn't paying attention. How does that work?

Despite him having a few wins I just realized I had no idea who he was and that I'd never actually seen him win.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kanthulhu posted:

He was there all the way. He's the oddly shaped ball of lard in case you're having trouble identifying him.

Fryhtaning posted:

:xd: One of the few somethingawful dot com threads where it's ok to fatshame non-goons. And yes, Gaga-chan was there all 15 days, and usually one of the first bouts of the highlights since he was down at M16. He did terribly so I don't blame Martytoof for not noticing him. He'll be in Juryo next basho and will likely need to dominate to have a chance at coming back up the following one.

It's hard to keep all the fat men straight in my head though you'd think he'd have stuck out being one of the few non-asians.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

EA Sports presents NSK 18

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

If it's in the game, it's in the game. Eating, sleeping, repetitive as gently caress training, yaocho, racism towards outsiders, and blatant henkas. Sign me UP.

:effort:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

This is going to be the first basho without any actual sumo wrestlers participating.

Finally, my time to shine!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo

RIP everyone

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aminishiki looked like some kind of sumo space alien in his photo on NHK's daily roundup.

I don't really know who to cheer for anymore since everyone is dead so I'm just hoping for some fun sumo. Seems to be ok so far.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is such a weird tournament.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm only watching the NHK replays but from their aired camera angle there's no way Tananoiwa didn't step out vs Endo. I mean obviously they didn't rule it as such but I just can't see it any other way..

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 18, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I forgot the name but wasn't this someone's debut in makunouchi and they posted double digit wins? I'mma follow that dude. If I ever figure out who I'm talking about.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ohh h*ck

https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/913867036148736000

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been watching some uncut footage of sumo on youtube lately and there's a whole two minutes of entering the ring that I wasn't really aware of. Is there a set ritual for what happens before the tachiai? It seems like there are some set steps, clapping, etc, but I can't tell if getting to the line and getting back off it two or three times is choreographed or just a false start situation.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the info.

From what I've pieced together, the match can begin when the gyoji is stanced with his fan facing perpendicular to the two wrestlers, but he also seems to have a warmup (?) where he kind of does his ready pose but not in that direction or.. I'm explaining it very very poorly but it's something that seemed to be repeated in the lower div matches I've caught on youtube.

I also know that most matches begin with one wrestler with his fists on the ground and the other pounding one or both fists down to start. Is this ranked as well, where the higher rank gets to signal the start or how does that work?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ll do a thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've only been following sumo since the last few basho so most of my picks are going to be guesses FYI :tipshat: