Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm just getting caught up on this basho now. I found days 1 and 2 rather boring compared to last tournament with a great deal of straightforward yorikiri, but day 3 was very exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What do the ranking numbers next to rikishi's names mean? 10E, 7W, I can't figure that out besides the East and West part.

When was the last time a rikishi actually won by hiwaza? "Slippiotoshi" is a running gag, and it appears they'll always call a technique as long as the rikishi were touching at some point. The one that sticks out to me the most is Tetsuyuuzan/Rikishin, where it looked like Tetsuyuuzan just made a false step as he was slapping Rikishin, but because Rikishin had just been pushing on his chest a bit they called a push-out.

I read the "announcer" joke about "conspiracy theorists" when Goueidou lost on the last day. Is that a reference to the match-fixing scandal because he wasn't expected to walk away with a makekoshi?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Osunaarashi may be the only Egyptian sumotori, but Terunofuji is the only mummy competing this basho.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Tamawashi by quick oshiwashi. Didn't even need a grip on the mawashi.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm not impressed with Gagamaru. Once you get past his size and momentum off the tachi ai, I don't think he's very strong.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm rooting for Mitakeumi. I understand he doesn't have a topknot because he ascended the ranks so fast. So what determines when a sumotori does get his topknot? I just assumed everyone competing at the professional level was required to wear it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Someone should check if Hakuho, Goeido, and Harumafuji ate the same chanko as everyone else last night, because they're the only ones who appeared entirely awake. Is this just the point in the basho where everyone is beat up and worn out?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The likelihood of a gyoji being crushed is certainly higher than normal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think Amuuru's knee must be pretty bad off; he's usually in his element when he can lower himself forward and use the length of his legs and body to just push, but even that isn't working for him.

Hakuho's bitch-slap was hilarious.

MrSmokes posted:

Cool throw by Gagamaru
Some good throws today. Kotenage isn't so rare in itself, but I've never seen anybody force uke all the way over onto their back instead of just dropping to a hand or knee. Powerful stuff.

Kakuryu's throw was a work of art.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think I was happiest to see Mitakeumi do well his first time out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Uncle Jam posted:

The ones who have made it into the money, yes. Otherwise its typically a low cost stew with the odd night out on the town for bar food.
Also, it depends what you mean by 'a lot'.
My understanding is that there's plenty of fast-food-level sushi out there. Although it's also my understanding that new recruits live in such shabby conditions that it wouldn't surprise me that a big communal one-pot meal is all they can expect.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I feel bad for Akebono. No one should make Bob Sapp look relatively skilled twice. Did he really go into K-1/MMA because his failed restaurant venture ate all his money?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I just watched Day 1 at the gym yesterday and noticed a lot of guys winding up with their back turned to their opponent or their foot raised high up off the ground. Their opponents, in turn, rarely took advantage of it like they should have. I don't know if the dohyo is slippery or if it's just first-day jitters. Actually, I've been going back and watching the basho from the first few pages of this thread, and I saw a lot of dramatic throws in the early days of that basho, too.

Edit: Nice to see Mitakeumi has his chonmage now.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 11, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I tend to root for the guys whose names I feel I can kind of pronounce. The hardest thing to keep track of, I find, is actually all the kimarite, especially when they differentiate between, for example, "slap down" and "more-of-a-pull-than-a-slap down."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

I still have trouble with a lot of the kimarite. I get a brief moment of "gently caress yeah!" when the correct kimarite for an uncommon finish pops in my head a second before it shows up on the screen. I think yori vs oshi comes quickly for most, followed by dashi vs taoshi, but the throws have a huge learning curve.
The most puzzling thing for me is that a lot of sumo kimarite are also techniques in other Japanese martial arts, wherein the basic principle of leverage is the same, but the technique is substantially different. (Mainly because "Do this, and you'll make a guy take three steps back" isn't a winning proposition in judo.)

Also, I've never seen the ref call a hiwaza. Even in a few cases where I've seen that the wrestlers weren't touching and one of them slipped, they call it hatakikomi or oshidashi.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ha, no sooner do I raise the question of hiwaza than the gyoji calls a tsukihiza. I don't know what kimarite he could possibly have called since he slipped while pushing on his opponent's chest and his opponent didn't have a hand on him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Gagamaru is showing better coordination and greater strength this basho. But he beat Mitakeumi so I hate him now. Is Mitakeumi still out sick?

I assume it's the absences and injuries that's renewing everyone's first day jitters. And I'm seeing kimarite that I've only read about before.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Kotoshogiku just humped his way to a literal pile of money.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MrSmokes posted:

It's really stupid how some people are saying Kotoshougiku only won because they want a Japanese champion and thus fixed the matches. That's what I get for reading Youtube comments.
I had no idea how much weird childish racism there was between Japan and Korea until I read YouTube comments on that controversial Misaki/Akiyama fight.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Even setting aside the finale this was a weird basho. Day 9 was the weirdest day of sumo I've seen so far.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I regret to inform you I've just discovered that one of the most famous sumotori in history had a career consisting almost entirely of fixed matches.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm super behind on this basho. Like, I watched Day 3 last night.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Mita-kun got his kachikoshi, that's all I care about.

Sumo needs a new rule that Tamawashi can't win with kimarite that don't rhyme with his name. If he does they just record it as isamiashi.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Gagamaru is maybe the only rikishi I tend to root against. It's not that I always root for the smaller rikishi as the underdog, but like someone else said awhile back, sometimes Gagamaru doesn't seem to be much stronger than any other 500 lb. guy. Forget lateral movement, he was losing soundly in straightforward pushing contests this basho.

Mr. Fix It posted:

If you go 8-7, they have to promote you. Combine that with one decent basho at a high Maegashira rank, you hit Komusubi. The "real" san'yaku ranks have stricter requirements. So, no, it's not odd for a long-time rank-and-filer that hasn't done a whole lot but avoid getting sent down to Juryo to be Komusubi. They tend to get thrashed since they go up against the real elites, tho.
Yeah, I was under the impression that until you get to the ranks where they vote to promote you, the ranking system is almost entirely mechanistic with little room for politics.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't know much about how a sumo stable really works, so I always wonder how modern their training methods are.

Abrasions must be a regular part of sumo training, but I hope to God they're not letting guys walk around with open staph infections.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Mitakeumi rules.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've seen that throw in other martial arts, but what kimarite is it even called?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I miss Takanoyama.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Officer Sandvich posted:

MOTY Aoiyama-Ichinojo
Agreed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

Starting to see some real potential future Japanese yokozunae ~5 years down the road. The kids are seriously impressing, and that even includes a recovered Endo.
Have Mita-kun and Nishi-kun had a bout yet? :kimchi:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This sort of thing is especially funny in sumo, because while I'm never going to compete for the UFC middleweight title or Olympic gold in judo, I can enroll in a gym and study those arts enough to have an educated opinion on what's going on in the ring. I haven't seen much in the way of people who aren't trying to compete in sumo practicing sumo, except for some workshops here and there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The final bout was disappointingly quick, though Kakuryuu's leg technique was interesting.

For me it was more than made up for seeing Mitakeumi defeating Gagamaru, who he'd been 0-3 against, handing him his makekoshi and relegation to juryo. That's about as crushing a comeback as it gets.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I have no idea how he pulled off that kimarite after his leg had been hooked.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've never seen footwork quite like what Harumafuji was doing there.

Is it just me, or does Mitakeumi have a habit of pulling tough opponents early on?

I enjoyed the announcer's commentary on the technique a great deal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Gagamaru is showing a little more strength and agility this basho.

Mita-kun, future yokozuna, gets the last match of the day as is proper.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Mitakeumi is scheduled to face Kotoshougiku tomorrow. How does a guy get scheduled to fight 2 ozeki and all 3 yokozuna in his first 5 matches?!

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 13, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

That is pretty much the norm for M1. Komusubi and sekiwake are similarly-scheduled as well. They don't call it the meat grinder for nothing.
So if Nishikigi follows the same pattern as Mitakeumi this basho--a kachikoshi after a makekoshi debut--will he get thrown to the wolves next basho? Poor guy.

I was afraid Mitakeumi's confidence was wrecked; in his first couple bashos I was impressed by the way it appeared that he never resigned himself to a loss even when he was hopelessly on edge. He appears to have returned to gently caress-you mode.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 15, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This is the weirdest basho.

I haven't been watching as long as many of you, but I've never seen a two-day stretch with as many rikishi taking big falls and flying off the dohyo as days 7-8.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Day 13 Thought: I have no idea why they scored that bout a hiwaza, the gyoji's foot notwithstanding. They will almost always consider slips a kimarite unless there was little or no contact--hatakikomi, oshidashi, anything.

Day 14 Thought: That's the biggest bunch of envelopes I think I've ever seen.

You ever find yourself noticing the same spectators in the crowd day after day? Or like, sometimes it's not the same person but the same type of person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

I don't think henkas should be outlawed, but there's a fine line as far as the sportsmanship goes. To take the piss out of an over-aggressive maegashira that's been trying to get the upper hand on the tachi-ai? Of course. Against someone that is expected by the kyokai to always display strong/attacking sumo? No.
Frankly, I think it's lame for any competitive athletic sport to have a technique that is perfectly legal but frowned upon for aesthetic/sportsmanship reasons--such a thing should be totally accepted or totally disallowed. This isn't figure skating.

I notice Ura has many matches where he simply doesn't tachi-ai. People call his style "weird" because it looks the way most grappling sports work. What do people think about that? Harumafuji has that not-a-henka where he goes in at an angle to secure a left outside grip, and it looks like great technique to me.