Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
If you watch it again the heel was out then came back in before the throw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
I see the heel touching and then he hops back in. I trust them more since they are right on top of it.

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 15, 2012

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

Just Winging It posted:

As far as Hakuho v Kisenosato is concerned, what is up with Hakuho. Has he switched to whatever training methods Asashoryu was using, because this reminds me of him, although not in a good way.

On a similar note, what's gotten into Aran. If you're at 9 wins already, you shouldn't be this insecure in the ring and just rely on the sumo that's gotten you to that position already.

At least Kyokutenho won and got rid of that unsightly 0.
There must have been something going on behind the scenes with Hakuho and Kisenosato. Hakuho was clearly pissed at the two early jumps and then decided to clown him.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

frankenfreak posted:

Well deserved victory for Harumafuji. Guy was on fire the whole tournament.
Yes and I cannot wait for the next tournament. People will be watching him like a hawk after this performance.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

BadBeatsCrewDerk posted:

I follow sumo very closely and :smug: and :mmmsmug:

That is what I took from it.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

It could be knowing that there may be another Yokozuna after this basho. He has been on top for so long and winning almost everything that there might be some resentment.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

Funkysauce posted:

Absolutely amazing final match, I'm well loving pleased they left the pre-match in there; really added to the excitement. Can't wait to see how Harumafuji does in November. I also like how it was pointed out that Hakuho threw that elbow again. Is there any risk of him being called out on that?

It would be nice to see someone do the same to him next basho. That would settle him down.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

I think that Hakuho sees his career entering the twilight and with the promotion of Harumafuji to Yokozuna he sees his days as numbered.

The November basho is especially important to him if you look at his career. In 2006 he sat out the basho due to injury and since then has won six straight. There might be something personal in that basho to him.

In terms of championships he is tied for fourth overall with Kitanoumi at 24 and one behind Asashoryu. He may be making a final push in an attempt to put himself near Chiyonofuji (31) and Taiho (32) before he retires.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

When Aoiyama charged forward he leaned over to far and Hakuhou stepped back to prepare for a slap or charge. Aoiyama had no balance and just fell over. I doubt Hakuhou meant to do that as his hands were up to defend a slap.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

Tomorrow is going to be a wild ride and I cannot wait.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

To add, there have been periods where there are no Yokozuna.

There is no rule requiring there to be at least one.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

Just Winging It posted:

Goddamn, tomorrow is probably the most exciting day since the final day of last year's September tournament when Harumafuji won his promotion. Kisenosato and Hakuho most likely deciding the yusho, Kotooshu on the edge of demotion. Goeido hanging in there by a thread and a bunch of guys rearing to take his sekiwake berth. :allears:

If Kisenosato wins here and in July the ozeki ranks get very interesting. Baruto was demoted in January and Kotooshu is on the edge after spending 7+ years as an ozeki.

You could have a situation where there are 3 yokozuna and 2 ozeki.

Kisenosato has but together a very good run since July 2011. He has scored at least 10 wins in every basho except for one but no overall wins. This may be where he breaks through.

Edit: Kisenosato is Japanese and if he breaks through would be the first Japanese yokozuna since Wakanohana, who was promoted in 1998.

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 24, 2013

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

Fryhtaning posted:

Oh I'm sure he'll be stomped upon, but he may pull off a couple of big upsets in the process.

I also call bullshit on Kise's shot at Yokozuna unless he wins one of the next 2 basho and wins 12 or so in the other. There is no doubt that he is currently the best Ozeki, though. Also, Hakuho's 88% victory rate is insane.

I agree. They may be talking him up but until he wins one tournament it is a moot point.

He has had a good run over the past two years and the last Basho was impressive but he needs to take that jump and beat Hakuho.

Just looked at Hakuho's wiki and he is on a 30 bout winning streak. Every time I read his wiki I get more impressed.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

Saw the Hakuhou bout and it was great; if he is injured he did not show it today. The odd thing was it felt as if Hakuhou wanted to end the bout fast. Great match to see today.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Harsh demotion rules aside, it's really drat tough to recover from a major knee injury when you're over 300 lbs. I doubt he would have ever been able to get back to his previous form even if he had all the recovery time in the world.

True, the weight makes is difficult if not impossible to return to previous form.

A good indicator is offensive lineman in the NFL getting a foot injury around 30. It is not impossible to come back but the body is not designed to hold up that amount of weight. You generally come back with weaker legs and less movement.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

Feels good to have sumo back.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

This is the basho with the slippery clay correct? I seem to remember some comments last year and the clay looks darker.

The elders will need to have a sit down with Harumafuji soon. He seems to be getting pushed around a lot.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

The beautiful thing about watching Hakuho is that his look just screams boss. You can see by the way he starts and ends matches it is all about getting the Basho record. His face is 100% serious and focused on that particular match.

You can see by the look on his face that he wants that record. It is within sight and he is going for it.

That is a dedication there that is not seen in Harumafuji. He doesn't look lost but he does not look like a Yokozuna. It does not look like he is coming to the match with a look and feeling like he wants to win.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

I think it will happen in 2015. He is unstoppable and we will miss him when he retires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

Expect Hakuho to come out strong for this basho. He has won this one 5 or 6 years in a row.