Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'm new to sumo, so forgive me if this sounds dumb. Since wrestlers are paired with their closest ranked competition, is it possible for a lower ranked wrestler to win a basho without facing anyone really good, or does the pairing system account for that somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

anakha posted:

2014? Hell, if he keeps this up, he might make it before he gets his topknot.

I know I'm exaggerating, but it's still fun to imagine...

Quite a few rikishi hit a wall once they are matched up against top competition day in and day out. I think he'll get to around M3 without much trouble in the next six months, but getting from there to ozeki could take a while.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
I thought in situations like the Kikataki-Kyokushuuhou match they typically had a rematch, especially since the only reason Kikataki didn't touch the ground first was because his foot was outside the platform. Was the call in that match correct?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Plus, from what I've read the training that goes on there is pretty much the same as it was decades ago. This will probably never happen, but if someone like Baruto got control of a heya, threw out all the old traditions, and built an entirely new training program with professional trainers and nutritionists, they could probably dominate the higher ranks.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
The March Banzuke is out. Biggest news is Endo getting a massive promotion all the way to M1. He did do very well last time, and he is the newest Great Japanese Hope, but there sure as hell won't be any easy matches this time around. I'd be surprised if he gets a kachikoshi, he'll start out with an ugly record against the Yokozuna and Ozeki, and then he'll have to mentally recover and face an elite level opponent every day.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
30 wins over 3 bashos is considered the bare minimum, and even if he wins out he'll be at 29 over the last 3.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
I also don't think Kakuryu should be promoted. If he had a string of yokozuna level preformances then sure, but before the last 2 bashos he's consistently been in the 9-10 win range. That's fine for an ozeki, but if he goes back to that form as a yokozuna then he'll be forced to retire very quickly. I say wait until May, if he puts in a solid 12 win performance or better then promote him, but there's no reason to break the 2 yusho rule right away.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Keep in mind that sumo wrestlers weigh a lot, this is about a 3% drop in body weight for him. He probably eats more than 5,000 calories on a normal day, so even a few days where he is sick and can't eat much can result in rapid weight loss, and it would be tough to gain that weight back in a short period.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Hakuho is so great he can win a yusho without having to bring his A game. One particular stat that stands out it that he simply does not lose to inferior opponents, his record during the first seven days of a basho as a Yokozuna is 283-11. Everyone else has a good chance of dropping at least one match early, so they are behind when it comes time for the top competition to face each other. Coming back in that situation requires a wrestler to be both very good and very lucky, otherwise there is absolutely no way they can make up the deficit.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
One thing that nobody seemed to notice is that Tochiozan has met the 30 wins in 3 bashos rule to be considered for promotion to Ozeki. With Kotoshogoku looking to be on his way out, do you think he'll get the promotion this time around, or will he need one more great performance? When are these decisions typically made?

Konstantin fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 28, 2014

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

drat, two months. Homasho ain't a spring chicken, so this may be it for him.

Two months is very generous for an injury like that, I doubt he'll be ready for the September basho. Hopefully he's well regarded enough that he can take the time he needs to recover and not be demoted to Juryo in November.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Takayasu has a shot at stealing this one. It's getting to the point where they will have to cancel a top level match to have him face an Ozeki. I'm really surprised that they have Kisenosato facing the 2-8 Tamawashi instead of Takayasu tomorrow.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

quote:

I have a question on something I saw in day 13:

Why did the crowd boo and the commentators disapprove of the match which Harumafuji won? Also who were they booing exactly, the winner or loser?

He was using a tactic called a "henka", where you step to the side at the start and hope the opponent overcommits. It's traditionally considered cheap or dishonorable, especially when used by top level wrestlers like Harumafuji.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

He just lets himself get owned in training all the time, it's really bizarre.

Phone posting from around Tokyo minivan, really sucks the basho is out in Dinkins.

I remember hearing that there is nobody even close to his level in his heya, so he's probably used to holding back quite a bit in sparring matches. Add in the fact that Japanese athletes in general tend to overtrain, and it's easy to see why he would be easily beat when it doesn't matter.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Looking at the lower ranks can get kind of depressing though. This guy is 37, has been wrestling continously since 1995, and has been near the bottom of the rankings all this time. I have to think he has no other options at this point, otherwise he would have quit years ago :smith:

Konstantin fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 27, 2014

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
7-8 means you have to be demoted at least one rank if you're not an Ozeki or Yokozuna, but I agree that Ichinojo is more deserving of the slot. Biggest surprise for me is Chiyotairyu going all the way from M5 to Juryo.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
drat, you can probably just write him off then. He may be able to deal with the pain, but there is no way he'll be anywhere near 100% without surgery if he has a torn ACL. Maybe he'll reconsider once he tries wrestling with one leg and drops to Juryo.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
So when someone like Tochinoshin gets dropped to Makushita, do they have to live on almost nothing? That's got to suck, especially since he had to spend half a year getting back up.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
If Terunofuji wins, what are the chances he gets promoted to Yokozuna? Is 2 yusho out of 3 with a decent performance in between good enough?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Typically the guys that don't have the top knot haven't been in professional sumo long, and have won one of the big amateur tournaments, allowing them to bypass most of the lower ranks.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
It's still pretty brutal though, especially since 99% of them will never make it to the big time, and they've pretty much wasted a few years while their peers went on to college or real jobs. At the very least, I think the lower level guys should have the option to get day jobs rather than act as servants for below minimum wage.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Kikkoman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y8AuTLKXcI

So Baruto is an MMA fighter now, and this is his New Year's Eve fight.

He showed some real BJJ skills there, it's clear he's training seriously. If he gets a boxing coach and can somehow cut to 265, he might actually become a legit pro.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Could be, his stable is him and 7 low level guys who probably can't give him any sort of meaningful competition during practice, and their coach never made it any higher than M2. The "one foreigner per stable" has led to situations like this, he'd probably move to a better one if he could.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
I have to wonder, how much effort will Goeido put into tomorrow's match?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
drat, they promoted an 8-7 all the way from J5. Not sure how you can justify dropping Osunaarashi while doing that.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm pretty neutral on that one. It wasn't an ideal ending to the basho, but I really don't think Hakuho planned it. The worst part about that is probably that it shows that his confidence isn't what it used to be.

He did go a whole 6 months without winning a Yusho, which counts as a slump by his standards.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Is Aminishiki seriously going to try wrestling with a torn Achilles at 37? Hopefully he comes to his senses after a few losses and retires.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
The NSK is technically a state organization, so it can't really run into money troubles.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
You've obviously done more reading than me, I just looked it up on Wikipedia. From reading the Wiki article closer, it uses vague terms like "under the jurisdiction of" and "ancillary to" the Japanese Ministry of Education, so they may not actually be a part of it.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

:wtc: I could walk into jonokuchi and own bones, if those guys are any indication.

It's not all like that, you have no hopers like those guys, people recovering from major injuries, people who are just big and don't have any technique yet, and people who have been doing high level amateur sumo for years. Still, you'd think that one guy would at least be able to master the "eat a lot" part of sumo after a year.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
There's also the fact that his early results weren't that good, it was clear that he wasn't going to be sekitori anytime soon. Of course, an untreated injury could be to blame for that.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Kakuryu is not looking good this basho, makekoshi is a real possibility, and my understanding is that means he'll be asked to retire.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Part of it is that he was expected to be the next great talent, but tore his ACL a while back, and elected to tough it out rather than get reconstructive surgery. Apparently this decision got him a lot of fans, even though he probably won't ever contend for the higher ranks while wrestling with one functional knee.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Okay, something is wrong with Hakuho. I have never seen him dominated like that, especially by the likes of Ikioi.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
If Takayasu gets the yusho or loses a playoff to Kisenosato, what are his chances for promotion to Ozeki? He has at least 10 wins in 4 out of the last 5 basho while facing the top guys.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
How could you even ban henkas? I can't think of a way to objectively define them that wouldn't be horribly vague and lead to a ton of controversial calls.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
He's not bad, but at his rank he has to face all the top guys. Next tournament he'll be at M10 or so and do a lot better against inferior competition. There are quite a few second tier guys like that who do well at the lower ranks, but have horrible records when they get promoted and have to face all the Yokozuna.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Kotoshigoku already has a share in the NSK, so he could retire and start as an elder whenever he wants. Myogiryu would either have to borrow one or leave sumo entirely if he retires.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
I have to wonder, do the young kids typically do better if they train as amateurs, rather than jumping into Ozumo in their teens? A quick check of the database shows a split for the Japanese, with about half joining around 18-20 and half waiting until around 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
I think they are AI controlled, that's part of the reason why one robot has arms with paper attached, that can screw with object recognition.