Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

uinfuirudo posted:

I think four things are at work here. 1) Japanese resistance to foreign reporting. Which is not actually as high as this might make it sound. 2) The Japanese Legal system, and their methods. 3) The Japanese media's reluctance to report on unverified things. 4) The reality that no reasonable system would help winner/loser rikishi want that next win as much as the guy who needed it to decide whether he had more wins than losses or not. I could write an entire essay on this, but the reality is that there is minimal incentive to not cheat, and that there is no incentive to not let the 7-7 guy win if you are already locked in to a winning or losing record and not going to compete for the championship. Remember this is day 15 of a fairly stressful tournament with fairly easy to injure people, so there are hard to change realities that sit here. There is nothing you can do to make them not work harder to win that 8th one or not care about dropping their 4th to 7th, or 9th to 15th one in almost any tournament since it wouldn't really help them that much.

Yeah, its a dumb thing to dump the sport about, it happens in every sport in the US come playoff time, with star players sitting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Seriously, the past few bashos I kept thinking he could be called 'Gigamaru'.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Super blatant by Aran yesterday, but his throw today on a gigantic human being was awesome.

Re: Baruto, hate the game, not the player.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Harumfuji didn't really put a lot of force into the bout today, I'm not gonna judge yet.

Kotooshu flew out in spectacular fashion yet again.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The only thing I've ever heard about it is that they also do that leg lifting thing as an exercise. There has to be a more efficient way...

There is a lot of money in it, so I assume the training will revolutionize sooner or later, but its going to be really painful for a sport with so many traditions. Consider a stable suddenly stops using the lower ranked rikishi as man-servants and actually puts them in a serious training regime. If they start dominating it will upset things a lot.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Funkysauce posted:

I'm sorry to post just this, but do the even numbered months go by the slowest?

Well, I was looking to see the whole list of techniques but my eyes glazed over. I didn't realize there were so many! I just knew oshidashi etc. Well I'll be busy reading up!

Its definitely one of those wikipedia pages you read while in bed and doze off halfway through.
The sumo wikipedia pages actually do a pretty good job at explaining whats going on too.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

Holy poo poo, Homasho went from M5 to J1 due to an injury?? Also :lol: at Miyabiyama at J9. Dude's career is ending with a pathetic shart when he had so many chances to go out with his dignity.

So if they're listed on the Banzuke it means they didn't pull out? Oh man :(

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
What time are the bouts held JPN time (for Makuuchi)? I'll be in Japan then in a small town and I'll have nothing to do other than go to some bar and see if they have sumo on.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Kikkoman posted:

4 to 6 pm on NHK if you only have basic cable, earlier if you get the BS channels. Sometimes the first hour gets cut in favor of Japanese C-SPAN. It kind of sucks.

I tried to go to bars to watch sumo in Osaka and Hiroshima and no one ever played it. I hope you have better luck than I did!

Ahaha, no way then. There is only one bar in the town and I will definitely still be working at 6pm.

I totally understand the cutting in and out, I was watching the Japan series baseball playoffs on basic cable last year and they would just cut out for some news program for a few innings.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The only thing is that Harumafuji seems always kind of shaky. Maybe if one of the Ozeki doesn't step up over the next year or so there might be no yokozuna around...

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
There hasn't been a boring day yet! Really good basho so far.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

TotallyGreen posted:

gently caress Aran

Nah, that was enjoyably cheeky. Especially the second attempt.

Still looking good all around, although Baruto is going to need to completely restart his Ozeki hopes if he doesn't get it in.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

TotallyGreen posted:

That wasn't a bad attempt, all things considered, and I wouldn't be pissed if it was anyone else. But you don't get to say "I will never do this again" and then do it repeatedly. Once you say "never again", you should be done, or at least only do it once in a blue moon to keep people off balance.

Its not like he's hair pulling and getting away with it or something like that. If its too un-sumo for the sumo association they should make a ruling about it. We don't even know if he was the one that wanted to say that or someone else told him to say it to calm people down.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I would just add that the number of Ozeki and Yokozuna fluctuate a little bit, its not a hard number. Like if someone gets demoted from Ozeki or a Yokozuna retires, its not required to promote someone immediately. In addition, if there are two yokozuna like now, but someone gets two perfect tournaments in a row, there will be three yokozuna.

Though I'm sure the Sumo Association uses their oversight if it has the possibility of becoming too ridiculous either way. I think under normal circumstances though it will be pretty constant on its own.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah that was insane - there needs to be an escape hatch so he can have the operation!

Next basho if he goes 8-0 to start he just needs to pull out on day 9 and have the operation that day.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I dunno how you can hate on Kotooshu when like 75% of his matches end with both guys in the 3rd row of the crowd.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

He's not my favorite either, but he does get a lot of undeserved hatred. Dude's been wrestling since 2003 and has been incredibly consistent with winning 8-10 matches per basho and has not once been kadoban without an injury. He is basically a foreign Kaio - terrible ikioi and ozeki-for-life - and Kaio was one of the most beloved rikishi of all time while being Mr. 8-7-By-The-Skin-Of-His-Teeth. He has been injured 6 times in 10 years, 4 of them in the last 2, so it's obvious that he is breaking down. I won't be cheering when he loses Ozeki, but when it happens it'll be his time.

To be honest I'll give props to any foreign rikishi because of the poo poo they catch from the racists. Due to the way things are, they can't even respond to it, they just have to take it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Dr.Radical posted:

Eeeeeeeh, I call bullshit on any promotion with less than 2 consecutive tournament wins. Harumafuji at least rose above one of the best all-time (if not THE best) yokozuna in history for two consecutive tournaments and Kise hasn't even won one tournament. Maybe it's my Kise hate shining through, but I just don't think he should be considered unless he's at least consistent enough to win two tournaments. Giving him the promotion after the last year is pretty absurd. His best record before the most recent tournament was 11 wins. While Harumafuji hasn't been doing stellar as a yokozuna (RELATIVELY, let's remember that Hakuho is insanely dominant historically), in the past year he's won 3 tournaments, all undefeated 15-0 performances. Sorry,I just think it's pretty transparent nationalism to even consider Kise at this point.

I agree its transparent nationalism but sumo has a lot of transparent nationalism in it (which is dumb.)
Probably the timing of his promotion (2 wins or not) will give a good indicator of the mood of the association.

If he gets promoted without a really strong record and starts sucking the poo poo afterwards it could really backfire on the nationalists. Wasn't there a guy in the 80s who got yokozuna with a pretty weak record and it just ended up being a total clusterfuck?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

a false posted:

he is amazing and has to be considered the favorite at this point (actually he had to be considered the favorite before the tournament even started), but i do agree with kintamayama's comments about him looking ever so slightly off. i have a feeling that's not going to last though and he'll be back up to 100% by the time he has to face the big guns.

I felt like for Day 3 he was being just careful. His weight was always centered and the other rikishi was always off balance, but I felt he was trying to not over commit himself.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Why do some possible matchups get X'd out immediately? Do they not fight within the same stable?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Konstantin posted:

I'm new to sumo, so forgive me if this sounds dumb. Since wrestlers are paired with their closest ranked competition, is it possible for a lower ranked wrestler to win a basho without facing anyone really good, or does the pairing system account for that somehow?

The higher rank schedules are pretty much set throughout the whole tournament. The yokozuna fight the same ranks every tournament almost, and in almost the same order.

The lower ranked guys, its a lot more tricky. As far as I'm aware there is no set process. Generally they fight around the same rank, but somebody who is doing well (leading the tournament) will suddenly be up among the Ozeki on the last few days.

It can get kind of sketchy sometimes, higher Magaeshira guys with a 6-7 record will suddenly be scheduled against M16 and M15 guys the last two days and end up with an 8-7.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Individual Juryo bouts, its hard to tell. If you go back and look at Hakuho's Juryo losses he looks pretty confused and out of depth sometimes.

I'm not saying he's going to become like Hakuho, for everyone one of him there are many that make it up to Makuuchi for one basho and then are gone forever.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

a false posted:

that save by hakuho ruled, but he couldn't have been too happy with himself for having ended up in that position against aminishiki to begin with.

and chiyotairyu continues to win my heart. second kinboshi in his young career, can't imagine it will be his last (unless of course he doesn't spend much more time at maegashira...)

The way things are going both komusubi are going down and one of the sekiwake, so going up to komusubi is pretty likely for chiyotairyu. Whether he will stay there is another question, but it looks like he has the chops for it anyways.

And aminishiki has the most kinboshi out of any active wrestler by far, he knows how to defeat yokuzuna (while apparently not knowing how to stay in sanyakyu.)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
That Harumafuji fight, was goddamn awesome.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Just Winging It posted:

For the first time in years Kotooshu has an outside shot at an yusho and he ruins it with a performance like this :(

More like he got Harumafuji'd by a desperate yokozuna.

A guy at work told me he'd rather see a yokozuna act like that then feign an injury when they have a bad record.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Kotooshu got jobbed a couple of times. I guess they really want Kisensato up there.

I loved Aran's henka because it made this old lady's mouth agape.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

TotallyGreen posted:

Well, unfortunately this tournament really turned me against Kisenosato. I feel bad because he was my favorite Ozeki, but the obvious favoritism he receives just isn't cool. I get that it's rough to have your national sport dominated by outsiders, but the current restriction on foreigners (one per stable, even if they become citizens) is bad enough, it's bullshit that Japanese wrestlers also get special treatment on top of that.

Same thing happens in Go, all the big prize money is in Japan but they don't let anyone but Japanese (very rare exceptions excluded) play for the money. For most international tournaments all the Japanese players get bounced out by the Koreans and Chinese.

In one vein its surprising that this sort of representation by foreigners is allowed at all. Hopefully foreigners will become more tolerated as time goes on, similar to baseball and basketball in the 60s-70s here.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

TotallyGreen posted:

Endo's cool, but Osunaarashi overshadowed him for me (even though he beat him), just because of the storyline. Looking forwards to seeing Endo in Makuuchi though.

There's no way that Baruto goes to Juryo from M6. Worst thing they'd do is stick him at M16 or something. That said, I really want to see the 15-0 destruction that would come from Baruto in Juryo.

I just hope he's fully healed.

Also lets see how Osunaarashi does when he gets to eat before the basho next time.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
He must not be 100% yet still :(

I suppose the silver lining is that it opens up a spot for another foreigner.

Here is an article:

quote:

Estonia's only professional sumo wrestler, Kaido Höövelson, aka Baruto, has unexpectedly announced that he is retiring from the sport.

The 28-year-old said the decision was motivated by a knee injury that has turned out to be more serious than originally thought, inhibiting him from using his full might against his opponents, reported uudised.err.ee. "I can't do it with half power,“ he said.

"My sumo career has been unusual and overall very successful. Even more than the titles and awards, I value the people that the sport introduced me to and there are a lot of them. I love Japan and Japanese culture, which has developed me as a person and gave me opportunities to learn to know myself and the world better,“ Baruto said.

Baruto made his professional sumo debut in May 2004, rising to the top division two years later. In March 2010, he was promoted to Ozeki, the second highest rank in the sport. Over the course of his career, he won multiple awards for fighting spirit. At the end of last year, however, his injuries began causing him to miss tournaments or forfeit bouts.

He added that when in Japan, he always felt the support of Estonia. "The interest of regular folks, and also the professional and respectful interest of journalists, was pleasant. All in all it was perhaps the biggest motivator because I worked in Japan but home is in Estonia .“

The wrestler said he was happy to be a promoter of the sumo sport in Estonia. "I intend to continue this activity. Through the years I have gained a lot of contacts who can advance our shared interests.“
Baruto will return to Estonia after September 20.

"I still have to go to Japan numerous times in the near future, because ending an athletic career there is tied to many ceremonies. When those end, I will stay home and start living an Estonian life.“

Edit:
Read somewhere else that he hasn't done any training at all, because the knee still isn't healed. Its probably the right choice :sigh:

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 12, 2013

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
A colleague came up to me at work today and said he expects Harumafuji to retire after this basho.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

We now have ourselves a basho f'sho!

Assuming no other stupid losses by Kisenosato (decent chance of pulling that off) or Harumafuji (will henka his way to that at this rate), it's going to be a bloodbath on days 13-15, with Kisenosato likely going against the Yokozunae on days 13/14 and of course with the Yokozuna derby on day 15. Kakuryu is always full of surprises and disappointments, so who knows how he'll spice things up.

Or if they all beat each other up, Homasho may pull a Kyokutenho yusho at this rate.

Whoever wins, Kisenosato becomes yokozuna.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQeH5jREUbQ

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Konstantin posted:

Quite a few rikishi hit a wall once they are matched up against top competition day in and day out. I think he'll get to around M3 without much trouble in the next six months, but getting from there to ozeki could take a while.

The next six months? He might be there after this basho...

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

:smith:

Not the results I was hoping for all-around. Even Endou and Homasho lost.

Man, not even up for Goueido domination station?

So, the guy who was supposed to become the head of Aran's heya left with Baruto a few years back. The current guy turned 65 and is retiring, and there is nobody to take over (it sounds like a small stable).

Now all of those rikishi are moving to a new one (its already been decided), its the one that Tochiozan, tochinoshin, and Aoiyama wrestle for. You can check it out by searching for 春日野部屋. (Don't drop the 部屋, you will get animated :nms: child poo poo)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

anakha posted:

Any chance Goeido makes it to Ozeki after this basho?

No, he'll need at least 11 wins next basho to be considered (although maybe 10 is enough if the association is feeling charitable)

Its an average of 10 wins over the last 3 usually, and 2 basho ago he had make kochi which pretty much tanks any chance.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Hakuho got roughed up but he looks pretty happy!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

It's official, Aran has retired.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2013/10/08/sumo/russian-aran-retires-from-sumo/#.UlVpFtIw3ig

We'll miss you, you goony bastard.

On a related note, I wonder which nationalities will occupy the foreigner holes opened up by Baruto and Aran both retiring. I can't imagine Kotooshu or Kyokutenho going more than another year, either.

Well, nobody will occupy the place that Aran was using because his heya closed. Kotooshu will probably retire very soon, I think he was pushing hard to get a yusho before retiring and injured himself again.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
^^ Oh come on seriously!!! beaten bumping a sleeping thread...

The Kyushu banzuke is out guys!

There isn't a lot of surprises here. Endo moves up to M7 and Osunaarashi (from Egypt) debuts at M15w.
Aran is Intai at M16e.

Yokozuna watch:
Kisensato has a chance to become Yokozuna if he wins with something like a 15-0 or 14-1 record. Hakuho hasn't been unbeatable lately like he was early in the year so anything is possible here.

Ozeki watch:
If Goeido gets 11 wins again he will most likely be made Ozeki.
If Tochiozan gets 12 wins he has an outside shot of become an Ozeki.

Kotooshu the Bulgarian had a losing record last time, so if he is injured again or performs poorly he'll be demoted. This basho gives him 7 straight years of being an Ozeki, so he'd probably retire if that were to happen.

In other news, Takanoyama fell out of Juryo. With Baruto and Aran now gone, Kotooshu unlikely to stay around much longer, and all 3 wrestlers up for major promotion being Japanese, the foreign 'influence' on the sport has sort of hit a lull for now. I'm sure a new crop will be along shortly...

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The audio was really nice this time.

Endouu~ Endouu~ Endouu ganbarre~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
RIP Kotooshu. You had a good sumo career.

Its looking good for Goeido so far, promotion to Ozeki a real possibility now.