Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

tarepanda posted:

I live in the area, so it would be very easy for me to hop over there to watch a tournament. My working schedule is very flexible, too.

Buying tickets shouldn't be a problem once I know which ones and where to get them, since I have a Japanese bank account and live here, etc.
Unless something's changed in the last year, the easiest way to get tickets should still be the ticket machines in Lawson and the other combinis (Loppi machines, or whatever they're called). Just look under the sports section, they should be pretty easy to find.

Like Fryhtaning said, 2PM to 2:30 is a good time to arrive if you just want to see Juryo and Makuuchi. A year or two ago I'd have said that it was worth coming early, as even with a cheap ticket you could go and sit in an empty seat close to the ring and get to watch the lower division guys from up close, but apparently they've been cracking down on that since the yakuza scandal broke.

Oh, and yeah, the rules on clothing can be incredibly strict. Tochinoshin got the poo poo knocked out him in November (2-13 record), mainly because the stablemaster refused to let him train for the tourney after he was caught breaking curfew in western dress. I think if Tamaasuka was out with his family then it was probably ok, though.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Fryhtaning posted:

Seriously, Myogiryu? I just had to look him up to see who this mystery wrestler is who has already beaten 4 ozeki. He lost to all 6 ozeki, Hakuho, and Yoshikaze last tournament, but beat everyone else. Now he's 4-3 against the top 7 wrestlers. Amazing.
A few years ago, Myogiryu was on course for one of the fastest promotions to Makuuchi in history. He had four straight kachi-koshi from entering at Ms15 as a college champion, made it to Juryo within a year of his first bout. In his second Juryo match he fell awkwardly, hosed up his knee so badly that it took eight months to recover, and dropped to the bottom of the sandanme. One year after he got back in the ring, he was in Makuuchi.

Seriously, look at this record: http://sumoreference.com/Rikishi.aspx?r=11784. This guy is probably going to be Ozeki in a year or two, if he doesn't burn out.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
To expand on the Ozeki demotion thing, the only way it happens is if you get two make-koshi in a row, beyond the 8th loss the actual numbers don't matter. So if an Ozeki goes 0-15 in one tournament and 8-7 in the next, he's safe, but going 7-8 then 7-8 again would be a demotion. There's an additional rule that if a demoted Ozeki goes 10-5 or better in the tournament immediately after their demotion, they're automatically re-promoted. Otherwise they have to go through the same promotion qualifications as anyone else.

Ozeki demotion is actually pretty rare, especially as it usually happens to older wrestlers who'll immediately retire upon being demoted. The only ex-Ozeki still active is Miyabiyama, who peaked early, and got demoted at 23.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 15, 2012

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Wendell posted:

Does this mean Takanoyama will be moving back up to makuuchi?? Guy's like a yoyo.
Not in and of itself. He'll move up the rankings for sure, but he's at Juryo 4 now, so he'll need some more wins to get back to Makuuchi. Barring some last-minute collapses in form, it doesn't look like many guys are going down to Juryo, so he'll probably need 2 wins over the last 3 days, maybe even all 3.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Gozinbulx posted:

Has Kintamayama stopped posting the vids?

Nooooooo
No, he's just going to be a bit late in posting today's video. You can check his thread here: http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29630 for updates.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Wendell posted:

Thanks for giving us the context not included in the youtube video, seorin. Wish I could have seen that stuff to get the full effect of this victory.
You can see a lot of it on the video in this NHK report http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20120520/k10015251681000.html. It's all in Japanese, but pretty easy to follow, and has most of the footage seorin was talking about.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Incidentally, Kyokutenho was slated to retire after the March tournament and take over the Ooshima stable (a pretty prestigious position), but turned down the offer, saying he 'still had the hunger' to go on for a bit longer. Looks like he made the right decision!

Also, according to the Asahi, Hakuho acted as standard bearer for the victory parade, cried a lot, and told reporters that Kyokutenho winning made him happier than if he'd won himself.:3:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

seorin posted:

I saw the video footage of them riding around on the back of the car together, but I didn't know the story behind it. That's awesome. :3:
If you watch the video closely, you can see Kyokutenho, not being used to bring the winner, holding Hakuho's arm up in the victor's pose, and Hakuho being all 'No man, you won this, remember?' and reversing the position so he's holding Kyokutenho's arm up.

Incidentally, this marks the 50th yusho for a Mongolian wrestler, which was not entirely unexpected in and of itself, but given that 47 of those yusho were by Asashoryou or Hakuho, the name of the winner is a surprise.

NotQuiteQuentin, there are a lot of Basho viewable on youtube on channels like Kintamayama's, but I don't know if I'd recommend watching them - even edited down each one is more than an hour of footage, and even if there's a dramatic yusho race or whatever,a lot of those bouts are going to be inconsequential in the long run. Out of the relatively recent Basho, I'd suggest the January 2010 tournament, the last before Asahoryou was forcibly retired, as the most exciting overall. November 2008, where Harumafuji became Ozeki was also pretty good.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 21, 2012

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Dr.Radical posted:

he's probably the gooniest rikishi, what with those sideburns, right?
He's still got a long way to go if he wants to compete with the glory that was Toki.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
If Hakuho wins tomorrow he will, in addition to the title, have won more yuusho than Takanohana (last of the great Japanese yokozuna and current Chairman of the association), more total makuuchi bouts than his old rival Asashoryu, and more 15-0 titles than anyone in sumo history.

It's going to be so strange when he finally retires; it's been so long since sumo's been without a yokozuna who just dominates everything.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

a false posted:

ahhhhhhhh it's going to suck not having kintamayama's video tomorrow :( i know the individual matches will be up but i like to watch them all together. i'm so excited for harumafuji and hakuho's match, hopefully he doesn't pull the same poo poo he did with kisenosato today.
If you've not got anything planned for tomorrow, there's always the option of getting up super early and watching the livestream.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

seorin posted:

According to the article, that's just another group recommending the promotion to the Sumo Association. It's not actually the guys making the final decision. Although, I wonder if they take into consideration that it was a zensho, not just a yusho.
The YDC is actually pretty important; they're the only ones who make the recommendation, and the council usually goes along with them. That said, the YDC chairman was apparently just 'expressing a personal opinion', and in any case the full quote is more on the lines of "If he wins next time, he's yokozuna. If he's runner-up, then obviously we'll debate about it. Even then, 10 wins or so is no good. Personally, I'd like to see at least 13 wins, I think that would be on the borderline." So they have plenty of wriggle room to back out of it if need be.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
The unofficial-more-or-less-confirmed banzuke for Makuuchi and Juryo is now up on the Sumo Forum:
http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=30160

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Just Winging It posted:

The key thing that seems to have changed is that the rule (公傷制度; koushou seido, Public Injury System) under which a rikishi that sustained an injury incurred during a basho could miss the next one without it affecting his rank was abolished in late 2003.
Yeah, this is what enabled guys to keep their rank despite consecutive losing records. I don't think there was ever much independent checking on whether the wrestlers were suffering from injuries or 'injuries', so the system gave guys having a bad basho an occasional Get Out Of Jail Free card if they could convincingly feign having a bad knee.

Now that it's gone, injured ozeki automatically go kadoban (and get demoted if they're still injured) and everyone else slides down the rankings, with the matches they missed being counted as losses. I don't think it's come up yet about what happens if a yokozuna is injured for more than a basho or two; I guess he'd be pressured into retiring.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Just Winging It posted:

it's not a very good example as all the fat gently caress can do is waddle around a bit.
Apparently (several 'inside sources' have repeated it over the years, though it's never been officially confirmed) Orora has some kind of terrible hereditary disorder that causes him to be so huge, and part of the reason he joined sumo in the first place was to get access to medical care. It seems believable: he weighed close to 200kg as a teenager before he ever joined up, and even for such a big guy he has a weird body shape and a lot of super-unhealthy looking bruising.:(

Unrelated, but Kyokutenho now has the most career wins of any foreign-born wrestler in the history of the sport, and the 8th most of any wrestler ever.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Without spoiling anything, I'm just going to say that it was well worth staying up until 4.30AM to watch the end of this one.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Gibbo posted:

Some of the guys can throw him around way too easily, so I'd say it's holding him back a little. He could add another 15kg and still be quick and agile enough to keep up his shenanigans.
Yeah, absolutely. Terao, who was maybe the most successful rikishi never to make to Ozeki in the last generation or two (seriously, look at this record), spent 15 years continuous years in the makuuchi without ever being heavier than 115kg. Someone with Takanoyama's skills could do something similar.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Hahaha, the Kyokai has decided to monetize their overseas audience by replacing the free live feed with pay-per-view. With their usual business acumen, they're going to charge $10 per day, or the low, low price of $120 for a whole tournament. I don't think this is going to turn out very well.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Takanoyama's insulin incident is pretty hilarious, in a bleak kind of way. There were basically two concurrent scandals involving Naruto-oyakata, Takanayoma's stablemaster. That he:

a) had himself prescribed insulin and then bullied Takamoyama into injecting it so he would bulk up.
b) had severely beaten a junior wrestler with a block of wood to 'teach him respect'. (This was less than 5 years since another stablemaster doing the same thing beat a trainee so hard that he died.)

The stablemaster was summoned to see the JSA chairman and it looked like we were all set for another round of damaging scandals, but then within three or four days he unexpectedly dropped dead of respiratory failure. In the aftermath, the junior wrestler remembered that he hadn't been beaten after all, he'd just fallen down the stairs or something, and Takanoyama suddenly recalled that injecting insulin had actually been his own idea all along. The JSA punished Takanoyama by telling him that using insulin was very bad and that he shouldn't do it anymore, and then everyone agreed never to speak of the incident again.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
He's probably good so long as he doesn't try doing it Futahaguro-style.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Dr.Radical posted:

No, I meant more like a guy with a lung condition dying in practice because he didn't get the treatment he needs or a young rikishi getting killed by his oyakata due to being beaten with a metal baseball bat.
I know that :thejoke: but hell, that second thing actually happened and you'd still be hard pressed to find much in the way of long-lasting changes in the Kyoukai's training/discipline culture as a result.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Fryhtaning posted:

With Kisenosato's strong jun-yusho performance, he's got a chance for promotion if he takes the next basho. Between being Japanese, having 8 jun-yushos, and having a very consistently good track record, I don't think they would hesitate to promote him.
If that's what they're planning, they'd better not breath a word of it until the yusho is decided - the slightest hint of expectation causes poor Kise to crumble like he's made of chalk.

Hakuho said in the interview that the henka wasn't pre-planned, he just reacted to how Harumafuji was acting on the dohyo. Seems legit, from the speed at which he went pinwheeling off into the stands it looks like Harumafuji was putting everything into slamming into Hakuho with everything he had straight from the tachi-ai. I know a henka isn't the best way to end the tournament, but really what was Hak supposed to do? If you read that your opponent's going to come out high with slaps and neck grabs you duck under and go for a belt grip; if you read he's gonna stay still and absorb your momentum you put your arms out and thrust him back as you push forward; if you read he's gonna charge blindly forward for an instant oshidashi you... take no countermeasures and cede the advantage because dodging isn't the spectacle people want?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
FYI videos are probably going to be hard to come by this time around. The kyoukai cut their $120-per-basho video stream after the last tournament (with their usual PR acumen they put a single line announcement on the official website that more or less literally just says 'The streaming service will end. Thank you for your support.'), so it's down to crappy streams from Mongolian TV unless someone in Japan can provide Kintamayama with footage of either NHK or some new pay-per-view service that Softbank will apparently be running.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Oh, and it looks like something pretty bad is going on with the Nishikido Stable. Six out of their eight wrestlers didn't participate in the first day, including Homarenishiki (the Canadian guy), and one of the regulars on Sumo Forum who has contacts inside the Sumo world is hinting at there being a major problem that will publicly break sometime soon.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Dr.Radical posted:

I have an HDD I'm recording the days to via my TV. I'll fiddle around and see if I can send something to Kintamayama. My only apprehension is that I might not always be able to give it to him on time. I don't want to be put in a position where I'm expected to come through for everyone. I'll see what the deal is, though.
Kinta himself seems like he'd be understanding of it not being a permanent arrangement. Maybe if you asked him to just refer to you as an anonymous source, and to make it clear that you won't be doing it every day? That would hopefully keep The Internet form bothering you about it.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
'Oh, I wonder what SumoTalk is making of this basho. They probably have some amusing theory about how it's being rigged for Kiseno-':

quote:

I know a lot of you are getting frustrated by the large number of bouts that I am declaring as fixed and the perceived negative tone in my reports, but I am merely reacting to the action in the ring, so don't blame the messenger.

Understanding the fundamentals of sumo and the principles of acting and reacting in the ring is really the key to knowing whether or not a bout is fixed, and if you pay attention to the transition points in sumo, detected yaocho is simple. I know some will say, "Well, if you've never fought in the ring yourself, how do you know what should happen?" and my response to that is, "You and your poor sumo takes are living proof that experience (allegedly) fighting in the ring is meaningless."

Ultimately what it comes down to is this: if you don't like my expert analysis, then you're free to partake of novice analysis somewhere else.

quote:

With Kisenosato safely through, there was a bit of drama leading into the Yokozuna Hakuho - Ozeki Goeido bout because you never know when Hakuho is going to let up and give the Ozeki a win. As the two worked through their shikiri, the crowd began to chant GO-EI-DO! GO-EI-DO! while clapping their hands in unison. It wasn't because they wanted Goeido to win; rather, they wanted Hakuho to lose making the path easier for Kisenosato. Such sheep.
:yikes:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Oh god. I don't know if anyone follows the lower divisions, but there's this kid in jonokuchi, Hattorizakura. He's just awful - super skinny, no technique, after a full year in sumo he's racked up a record of 1-34. No idea why he hasn't quit.

So on Day 3 he was scheduled against Kinjo, a much beefier guy who has a brutal grabbing/throwing arm on him. Seems like Hattorizakura was real scared he was gonna get hurt, and decided beforehand to lose painlessly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiAI8fXBJoM

Not sure if laughing or crying is the more appropriate response.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 18, 2016

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm not sure, since one of those 3 basho was at M5. He may need to repeat it again at sekiwake. Kotoshogiku won 30 in a row including a 9-6 line at M3 and didn't get it, nor did he get it after winning 32 at sekiwake - needed one more basho to get 33 which seems to be the gold standard.

Terunofuji won 33 with the first basho at M2, and the best Takayasu can do is 32 in a similar fashion. I don't think he'll get promoted. But if he finishes 13-2 then all he needs is 10 victories next basho to be a virtual lock.
Yeah, the 'minimum' is 33 wins out of 45 while being komosubi/sekiwake. It's not set in stone, and they'd probably make exceptions for things like '40 wins starting from M3' or '32 wins but he beat all the yokozuna each basho/is young, popular, telegenic, and Japanese', but from M5 Takayasu's gonna be out of luck.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
No idea if anyone else will find this anything like as funny as I did, but one of the SumoForum people found the true reason for Goeido's sudden improvement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCy6wlsfuXQ

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Dr.Radical posted:

Does sumo talk have something against Goeido? I know they're big into yaocho accusations.
Generally, they believe that neither he nor Kotoshigiku are 'real' ozeki (and Kisenosato barely qualifies), and that Goeido in particular is at best a mid-level maegashira who was artificially promoted and keeps his rank solely through match fixing. Because Reasons (these vary depending on the narrative, but are usually 'favoritism' or 'nationalism'.)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Kikkoman posted:

May 2011 basho got canceled because yaocho allegations were found to be true and the same tight group of people that was in charge back then is still in charge today. Losing faith in the integrity of the sport isn't so hard.
That took everyone by surprise though. Everyone assumed that whatever yaocho went on was either the stuff described in Freakonomics, with wrestlers trading each other wins when they most needed them as quid pro quos (like guys who were 7-7 on the final day), or the Kyokai fixing bouts to get good results for a favored wrestler, like SumoTalk believes, if not as widespread. An organized ring of two dozen mid-ranking guys regularly fixing matches like 'day 4 bout between M10 and M13' in exchange for cash payment was... unexpected. Like, I can't think of anyone who was able to say 'I called it!' when that came out.

Northjayhawk posted:

I assume if we ever had a jackass yokozuna who turned in losing records in every tournament and didn't care about criticism or calls for retirement, then he'd be forced out with the sumo association announcing that they "accepted his resignation".
This did kind of happen once, with Futahaguro - the only yokozuna never to win a yusho, and not coincidentally the reason why you can't be promoted to yokozuna without a yusho anymore. Although in his case the bad results were a secondary reason, and the trigger for the 'resignation' was punching his oyakata's wife in the face:

quote:

The decision to promote Futahaguro backfired and he proved to be a great embarrassment to the sumo establishment. His debut as a yokozuna in the September 1986 tournament saw him pull out on the seventh day with only three wins, and after two runner-up scores in November 1986 and January 1987 a series of mediocre performances followed. His best result as a yokozuna came in November 1987 when he was runner-up for the seventh time, with a 13-2 record. However, controversy was never far away from him. Several tsukebito (junior members) of his stable refused to serve under him following an incident on the 1987 winter tour in which he physically punished one of them[3] and as a result of this, in December 1987 he had a heated argument with his stable boss, Tatsunami, and stormed out, allegedly striking Tatsunami's wife on the way.[2] The elders of the Sumo Association responded, without giving Futahaguro a hearing, by voting to accept his "resignation". Futahaguro became the first yokozuna ever to be expelled from sumo this way.[2] He had lasted just eight tournaments at yokozuna rank and had proved unable to win a championship.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 27, 2016

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Ras Het posted:

Why? Isn't that a sort of a typical pattern in match fixing in any sport?
Yes, but it's usually done for the financial gain of dodgy bookies or punters. Betting on sports is illegal in Japan, with the exception of horse, bike, and for some reason, powerboat racing. (Fixing sumo matches, oddly enough, isn't actually illegal, and the match fixing only came to light because police who'd confiscated some wrestlers' phones while investigating illegal betting on baseball games found text messages discussing the match fixing and released them to the public, possibly because they were pissed off at the kyokai not cooperating with their investigation).

There are illegal betting rings, mostly yakuza-run, but they're usually pretty small, and it wasn't really feasible that enough people would be betting so lopsidedly on mid-level sumo matches that anyone could rig the results and pay off the wrestlers so frequently and still turn a profit. They never actually found any evidence that anyone was betting on them.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Haha, Sokukurai! I have to admit to having a soft spot for the only man ever to take on the Sumo Association in court and come away with a win, but I never thought he'd be have a realistic shot at a jun-yusho.

And also Wow! I look forward to the conspiracy theories on this one. Wonder if Kise will feel like a legit winner having this handed to him, if he doesn't beat Hakuho tomorrow?

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 21, 2017

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Bad news from the Kisenosato-Harumafuji fight on day 13 - Kise landed awkwardly falling off the dohyo and looks to have hosed his shoulder up pretty bad.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
NHK says he's not gonnna withdraw today and will fight Kakuryu as per the schedule. And also that the stable didn't/wouldn't say exactly what his injury was or how severe it is. Let's hope this doesn't end badly.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 25, 2017

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I think it's always been a problem for Kotoshogiku that he sets up himself up to be henkad, maybe more so than any other high ranker. His preferred style is to go in hard and low at the tachi-ai, smash his opponent back, and then either straight up bulldoze them out or get a belt grip and do the bumpety-bumpety. But he often telegraph really obviously that he's going to do this and has no plan b - sets up way back at the tachi-ai, low posture, eyes down, etc - and the best counter for it is to henka. You can see that most times someone gets henkad the opponent is either trying to slap them straight down or dodge the initial charge so they can come in from the side and hit them while they try to re-position. But with Giku, the opponent just moves out of the way and he goes pinwheeling all the way across the dohyo and off the other side.

I mean, it really sucks that it happened at such a career-defining bout, but at the same time I don't really think it would have been fair to tell Terunofuji 'yeah, he's gonna use his strongest moveset against you, but you can't use the most effective counter'.

In lighter news, SumoTalk Mike lets us know that not only are the recent Japanese yushos evidence of yaocho, but the dozen years of Mongolian dominance preceding them were also evidence of yaocho, as the all-seeing kyokai was psychologically conditioning people so they wouldn't question it when Japanese rikishi started winning again and ushered in a new age of darkness:

quote:

I used to laugh at the jackasses who would comment below every time a Mongolian would take the yusho saying, "Har, Sumotalk, you're 0-46 now!" referring to the fact that it was 46 straight basho and counting without a Japanese yusho, and so sumo bouts couldn't possibly be fixed because a Japanese rikishi never took the yusho in the end. Now that they ARE letting them take the yusho, I'm not sure what the weak explanations are from the see-no-evil, hear-no-evil, speak-no-evil crowd, but it's been a lengthy process where everyone was conditioned little by little until now when they are taking the nonsense to unspeakable levels. And the unfortunate part is...there's no turning back now.

Yesterday Harvye closed his report by saying that I would show everyone the dark side of the moon, but what he really should have said is that tomorrow Mike will point out the dark side of sumo.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Dr.Radical posted:

Edit: And yeah, I thought the same thing about him stopping sumo writing. Dude got fired and can't admit it. Truthfully though a huge part of why I dislike him is from when I got into an argument with him on SumoForum where he said the classic "If there's gay pride and black history month, why isn't there a straight pride and white history month!?" He's just a conservative fart-huffing smug guy. His weird hot takes communicate that pretty well.
Yeah, I don't feel inclined to dig through the SumoForum archives for it, but there was a thread a few years back where someone asked about the reality of historical homosexuality in sumo compared to depictions in Meiji-era erotic prints, and the people responding were mostly having an informative discussion about it until suddenly Mark Buckton appeared to inform us that he supposed it was ok for faggots to exist in the world, but why did they have to shove their perversions down the throats of normal folk by talking about them in public?

I'd never seen anything of the guy beyond his sumo writeups in the JT until then, so it was a pretty big :wtc: moment.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Also the 'expected to be hospitalized for at least ten days' bit was from before his condition worsened and they put him in the coma. There's no current estimate for when (if?:() he gets out.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

It's been a while since I've watched sumo. I always appreciated the highlights from Kintamayama, but I absolutely loved staying up until 7am watching all the matches live until they stopped streaming them for free.

Is there any way to watch them live anymore? I like highlights, but the rituals are such an important part, I miss watching them.
There's a couple of streams of japanese/mongolian tv, but they're of variable quality and reliability. There should be a thread up on sumoforum with info on what's online at the start of each basho.

Oh, and salt guy might have been Takamisakari, who always did a very exaggerated warm up. He retired a couple of years ago, is an elder now.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Also they can only sponsor the match itself, not any particular outcome. So, often when there's be a popular young guy going up against a yokozuna for the first time there'll be a poo poo-ton of sponsor money, almost all of it meant as an incentive for the up-and-comer. But when the yokozuna hands him his rear end anyway, he gets to keep all the money as well.