Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'm reinstalling this poo poo.

Also, once we get a bunch of newbees we need to do some more TB-3 shenans.

We can still do TB-3 shenans right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

I reckon we should upgrade to TB-7 shenanigans; it has more guns AND a 5 ton gently caress you button :haw:

Yes, but does it have parasite fighters? Parasite jousting is the best thing ever.

Sylink posted:

What kind of realism do you guys fly on?

Despite having a pilot's license, I loving suck and while I don't have a problem flying, I would have a huge problem managing mixtures and poo poo because I'm lazy and don't have TrackIR to be able to see the instruments easily.

We usually fly with close to full realism, excepting tags for planes because they're so hard to see. That said, we usually fly at such low altitudes and short distances that you rarely need to mess with mix or supercharger. Most of our missions are below 10k feet.

Also, for those concerned about landing: landings are usually very optional and are often clusterfucks as goons try to land on the same runway from both directions, people landing on taxiways, and husks from failed landings (and takeoffs) cover the runway.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 25, 2012

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Someone had a great quote in the last thread about gunnery. Apparently most US pilots admitted to being bad at gunnery, but their skill was in getting enemy craft into lousy situations. I am godawful at gunnery and my main goal is to get the enemy plane to fly through a stream of bullets.

Your shots will definitely be all over the place, but if you can catch the enemy in a bad spot, it'll all work out.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

agarjogger posted:

Another thing; any eyefinity/widescreen hypernerds? I have a three screen 1920x1080 setup, and am able to get the game running fine on all three with minor edits to the .ini file (conf). But I have no idea what the resolution is. Because everything gets so zoomed in when I do 5760x1080, I can actually see less on three screens than on one. I've tried most of the commands that pan, zoom, change bombsight modes, adjust the HUD, move the pilot's head/body position. But all of them result in a super zoomed-in cockpit that takes up most of all three screens. The idea behind two angled screens is to be able to look out the side windows without moving your head. All I want to do is zoooom way out. I'd love you if you can help me, but I'll keep googling.

I don't have any experience with the setup, but I know that you can change the FOV with a keybind. That might help you "back up" and see a bit more.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 27, 2012

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Node posted:

Nothing is working. I'm about to give up with this. My bombs are always hitting behind the target, and sometimes they aren't exploding at all. I have my ju-87 reticle aimed right on top of the target for a couple seconds before releasing the bomb. It never hits.

I wish there was an easy way to practice dive bombing, but I can't find anything that lets me practice dive bombing immediately, that skips the takeoff and long flight to the target.

The other thing you can do is make a custom game with just yourself. To practice dive bombing I would fly on Croatia or Okinawa and hit bridges. No enemy units to worry about, and you can start yourself at 12,000ft.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

This may interest some of you gents; World of Warplanes Alpha applications are not going up:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/23/alpha-dog-fight-world-of-warplanes/

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Alright, I'll see about stepping it up but it's going to be hard. I'm starting to suffer from sim fatigue in general and I just did something stupid and decided to give EVE another go...

EDIT: I just realised there's something seriously loving wrong with me. When I got burned out on BF3 I turned to ARMA. When I got burned out on IL-2 I turned to DCS-A10. Now that I'm getting burned out on what I play in general I'm turning to a spaceship MMO with a learning curve like a brick wall.

Why do I hate myself so much?

Joven, you're in EVE now? What do you fly?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Any interest in a game tonight? Last night I was with the lady.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Rubber Slug posted:

I assume by "lady" you mean BF-109 replica cockpit.

Of course I didn't mean that.
It's and SBD-5 replica, thank you very much. :colbert:

It didn't matter because my OS died horribly Wednesday night. Fortunately my CK2 game was complete. I think I would have gone apeshit if I lost that thing in the last century.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I found something that may be of interest to you fellas.

For a good while now, I've been wanting a small controller to act as a companion to my current flight-sim setup. In particular, I wanted to get a small box that could have wheels on it for trim axes, so I could have easy access to them as needed. Any other axes/buttons I could fit on it would be cool, too. That said, I've had a hard time finding any type of system I can use to relatively easily assemble my own controller. I have some programming experience and some exposure to electrical engineering, but I lacked the ability to write USB headers/drivers.

For a while, I've been looking at value-line IC's with the hope that they would work, particularly TI's MSP430 and the Arduino. It looks like with the newest Arduino (R3), someone wrote a pretty simple system for converting your Arduino board into a game controller (it looks like it pretty much emulates the PS3 controller: six axes and over a dozen digital switches). If you're even slightly electronics inclined, you should be able to use this to design your own controller. As I work on this (and depending on my success) I'll let you all know how it does.

For those that are interested, you'll only need a few things:

EDIT: I think that unless you want to start mucking around with the USB header/driver code you're pretty much limited to 4 Analog and 13 Digital pins (this seems to include two analog pins that are requisitioned for digital use), less anything you use for internal stuff (e.g., LEDs).

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 18, 2012

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Okay, so I (finally) placed the order today for the components for my control panel. They should be arriving in the next few days, and I'll provide some pics of what I got. It's looking like this project is going to be a bit more expensive than I thought, though I think you can cut the price down a fair bit by removing some of the components I got and getting simpler switches.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Dantares posted:

I was more thinking along about the fact that steam/valve isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so I'll be able to re-download il-2 for the foreseeable future, whereas with GoG, it isn't as sure.

That is sad, because with GoG lacking DRM, you can just burn the installer to a disc and you have it forever.

Anyway, I have an update on my progress in building the custom controller. I've received all the parts I ordered and have a decent idea of what I'm going to make now. I'm pretty excited to see what this looks like when it's finished. I'm currently in the "drafting" phase; I can include a picture of my current plans if anyone is interested (though they're currently very draft-y and not pretty to look at). Below are the parts, if anyone is interested, I can post a parts manifest.

These are the various switches and pots. The keylock switch is probably the most fun thing here. The smaller red switches (of which there are 10) are the only thing I'm not very happy with; I forgot to check the size and these are only about 7mm long, whereas I'd have preferred something bigger. That said, as I'm drafting things a larger switch may make fitting everything into the panel a bit more complicated, so this could be okay. The sliders are pretty neat; as you can see they have LEDs in the handle. I'm going to integrate those into the circuit as a center point indicator, so you'll know when the slider is say, within 5% of the center of it's range. None of the pots are detented.

The box. I'm going to try really hard to not gently caress this up because I ordered it from the UK and shipping more than doubled the cost of the drat thing.

I didn't include the circuit components that won't be visible from the outside, but I'll post about them later when I get down to circuit design.

I had hoped that by doing this I would have saved money compared to buying premade stuff (like Saitek throttle quadrants or switch panels), but I don't think that will be the case. I still think the project is worth it just for the custom feel, though not everyone would agree.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 5, 2012

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Okay, big update on the panel. I've finished the machining, and at this point, all the physical work is pretty much done.

The schematic. I used fine-tip sharpies for this which gave me better visibility, I think, than pencil did. Smearing was a problem if I wasn't careful, but the ink actually wipes off pretty readily with some alcohol so no big.

The slider cuts. I made these with a Dremel using an E-Z Lock metal cutting wheel. It worked pretty well.

The fully cut panel, with the plastic sheet taken off. I made the holes using a mill (which I did not think I would have access to). It made things very easy, though I did not quite understand how to use the clamp set at first, so some of the holes (mainly in the bottom two rows) looks a bit crappy. The Dremel cuts are comparatively jagged, but it was nothing about 15 minutes of filing couldn't fix.

The finished panel, with (almost) all of the parts screwed in. The hole below the knob is for an LED that I will glue in place after the circuit is designed.

Currently, the panel won't do anything; nothing is actually wired. Last night I started prototyping the comparators for the potentiometer LEDs, and perhaps over the weekend I can start to solder poo poo together. It is fun as hell to play with, though.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Breakfast Machine posted:

I'm always down to play if other people are. It's not as much fun with only 2 or 3 people though. I'm guessing everyone feels that way. Maybe if we schedule it or something.

I'd be interested in flying again. Haven't in ages. I'm in the process of moving but starting next week I should have some time most nights.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Blistex posted:

If I can figure out how to make freetrack work with windows 7 I'll be online with you guys. Until then I'm going to pretend that IL-2 and CLOD do not exist.

What is the problem you're having? I use Freetrack with Win7 no problem.

If you want, I can help you troubleshoot it late tonight or maybe tomorrow evening.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

No mention of independent brake axes for each wheel? I figured that would be in this update, with the changes to brakes.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Bondematt posted:

In short: It ran like poo poo, lacked many features, and had basically no fun put it in at all.

It was so bad that last time I looked, 1946 had more people playing.

At least the soot level on buildings for 1940's industrial London was right though.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Bitter Mushroom posted:

That was an incredibly comprehensive list, I feel your pain. I guess I'll stick with the original, I remember waiting an hour on 56k to download the patch that added the JU 87 stuka. Now that was a patch you could depend on.

There is one other critical point, and that is that they abandoned BoB to work on the sequel without ever fixing BoB, which pissed off a lot of people.

To clarify, the sentiment was essentially "Sorry about that, we've fired some people and are just going to make a new game".

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'd love if we could get some IL2 groups going again. I'd totally drop the cash for TrackIR5, too.

TB3 Jousts woop

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

dayman posted:

Am I the only one that uses my mouse left handed?

What do you control the throttle with?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

My TrackIR5 arrived today.

It is amazing. Millions of times better than the Freetrack setup. So much better.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

I just gave 4.12 a shot. It was really nice and brought back a lot of good memories. :unsmith:

If anyone wants to get together to play sometime, install the latest HyperLobby so we can find a good server to get on to.

I thought we hated HL with a terrible passion?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

dayman posted:

Make sure you bind a key to lock your tailwheel. Once you get lined up on the runway, lock your tailwheel, chocks in, throttle up, flaps takeoff, let engine stabilize, chocks out, keep your stick neutral. Once you get up to a speed great enough to lift the tail, the plane should be going fast enough that you don't need a lot of rudder to track straight.

If you don't lock the tailwheel, it takes heavy rudder input at low speed to track straight. Some planes, like the La are almost impossible to keep straight until you get up to speed.

On this note, make sure to unlock it when coming in for a landing, otherwise things happen.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

pixelbaron posted:

Your wildest dreams come true

Goons landing on taxiways, and pretty much everywhere else.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Quinntan posted:

Eh, I joined the forums more because I was fed up with the debate & discussion getting locked behind a paywall every so often.

Yeah, all my time in IL-2 is stock. I hear the steam version isn't all that great at dealing with mods.

I'm fairly certain you can just copy the IL-2 install out and move it to a directory of your choice, where you can mod away.

If we want to use mods, I'd suggest the use of an SVN like GGG had; much easier than everyone getting the crap themselves.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Oleg's new project DCS WW2 has reached it's goal (and is a bit above that)

They're currently at $118k of the $100k requested and five days left, so I don't think they're going to hit any stretch goals.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Just noticed this for DCS WW2: one of the mega-rewards (at the $7,500 level) is putting your likeness and voice into the game as an ace, including you speaking during the mission briefing.

It's a shame nobody picked that, because listening to some mouthbreathing simsperg pretending to be a WW2 ace would be pretty funny.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Blistex posted:

Is Oleg actually in on it? I though he was just lending his name and Old Lady Face to Luthier's kickstarter video.

Ilya lists him in the beginning, but you might be right, he may be there for cred.

They managed $158k, which was enough to hit their first stretch goal (the ME 262A-1). One person backed at the $2k level, nobody at any of the three levels above that. We'll see how well their timeline holds up. One of the caveats listed is the landscape engine, I suppose that it doesn't render French houses with the appropriate levels of chipped paint yet.

Also, playing IL-2 with you folks last night was awesome, I'd missed that. When do TB-3 shenans happen?

Edit: Also, does anyone have any suggestions for trimming? Last night someone (Joven, I think?) commented that he got the 110 up to 460km/h at 85% throttle, I was struggling to get it up to 440 at 90%. When I'm cruising, how do I properly approach trim? I always find myself oscillating around center and have a real hard time getting nice, level flight. What's proper procedure for cruising? Radiator open at all?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 7, 2013

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

That being said. If we're in the middle of a campaign and you're the only one who wants things changed, ask for a different campaign for the next session. I've had a few people spend an entire session bitching about something the majority were OK with. That's not cool.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply a problem with the campaign at all, and am more than happy with the current setup :ohdear: (and also thankful that you host this poo poo for us)

Has anyone used the Attack Training Mission Generator (IL-2 ATMG) lately? I tried to make a dive-bombing mission since I was struggling with my bombing last night, but none of my bombs actually explode on the target. I planted a 1600lb bomb on the deck of a cargo ship, and nothing happened. Is this a problem with the generator or is this some sort of issue with my bombing? I set the fuzing to immediate, but the target just won't go boom.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 8, 2013

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Here's the thing about bomb fuses. The shorter the fuse, the longer the bomb needs to fall before it arms. This is to keep you from dropping a bomb and having it go off while you're in the blast radius. 'Immediate' usually means the bomb needs to fall a hell of a long way. Try a short or long delay.

When I hit Tab to bring up the communications menu on the right it tells me the settings of my current bomb. It should for everyone but some people don't seem to get that. For all I know it's because I always host games and maybe only the host gets to see that. :iiam:

I think I had been confusing bomb fuzing and bomb arming, but I think I am clearer on that now. For dive bombing/ground attack I want a delayed bomb which will arm fast but detonate in a delay after impact. Instant bombs, on the other hand, arm slowly but blow up the minute they hit the target, right?

Daidlos Team is doing a pretty bang-up job of working on IL-2. Maybe we should get them to do a Kickstarter.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Never been a big fan of "unlocks" in simulation games. Always thought computer simulations should be a big sandbox where you can play airplanes however you want, kinda like 1946. The only limitation should be the creativity of the mission designers, not arbitrary experience points or war bucks.

This. I don't want to have to earn 3000 more PLANE-XP to unlock 50cal guns. This is pretty much exactly what drove me away from WoWP, I just want to load my stupid missions and do what I want.

Reading the BoS forums makes me want to pull my hair out. Someone made a thread about Pilot Simulation that would include improved G resistance and "heavy breathing during blackout". They wanted these stats to improve with use.
Go play loving WoW.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 9, 2013

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

pixelbaron posted:

Reading flight sim suggestion threads you begin to wish that 'immersion' wasn't a word.

At this point I imagine the posters being immersed in hot oil. It helps.

Bug Report: Skin texture does not reflect the reality of immersion in 1940's oil blends

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Overall I think tonight was a success. The DCG is running a lot better, people are shaking some of the rust out of their joints and overall it was a pretty chill night.

We even managed to do something very few Goons manage to pull off in spergy games like this; we completed an objective!

What's the result of the objective change? Did the map move at all?

And those were some good pewpews. We got a nice mix of ground attack and a2a stuff in, which was really nice.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

darkhand posted:

That's exactly what happened to me in Arma2 so it's definitely a concern. Tried to play with goons and need some mod installers, and a bunch of mods, none of which were updated in the OP. You basically had to pick apart the thread to find out what people were using, very tiring and off-putting.

For a while the GMod goons had a pretty cool way of doing this; you just downloaded an SVN of the current build. If you coudln't connect, you'd do another SVN checkout and you'd be golden.

I had tried ARMA and had the same problem though, so I ditched that. Especially now that 6DOF and native widescreen are part of vanilla IL-2, I'm more than happy to keep running with the normal pewpews.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

I've put the Thursday night 7:30 CDT session up on the Steam group.

Thanks for hosting Joven. Internet airplanes are a good break from my thesis.

Out of curiosity, can the DCG create missions tasked to bomb like, factories (is that even something IL-2 can do?). It might be fun to do some bomber escort missions. Just throwing out an idea.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Good flying folks, and thanks Joven for getting the server up.

Same time same place Sunday?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Level bombing the other night was fun. I want to practice more of that.

What's everyone's favorite downloadable missions for practicing various types of combat? Air, ground etc?

Try the ATMG (Attack Mission Generator) on M4T. You can generate bombing missions with targets and approaches of your choice (bridges, factories, ships, level bombing, skip bombing, dive bombing, etc). It's pretty neat.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ralith posted:

Battle of Stalingrad alpha tentatively scheduled to begin on the 12th, will only be up 3 days a week, and initially contains only a test map, the LaGG 3, and disabled guns.

e: VV Yeah, looks like it'll be prudent to wait for beta at minimum for more reasons than one. Not that people don't spend a comparable amount of money on less detailed WWII aircraft for civilian sims where you are comparably unarmed...

I think it's a matter of expectation. I generally don't start a Cessna flight thinking I'm going to encounter a flight of bombers.

That said I hope we get some videos of it to see how the flight model performs. This could be a reaction to the problems with BoB, trying to nail down the flight engine before anything else.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Also, that big patch of German land cut off from the front lines was being held solely by a cluster of fascist sand bags.

:what:

What makes you think the Germans are bailing out of Kiev (I'm not saying you're wrong, I just didn't know the simulation went that deep). Are they using cargo planes or something, and can we shoot them the gently caress down to benefit our mission?

Also, is there a way to put a bit more pressure on us for future DCGs? It seems the AI ground attack sucks and isn't really putting much pressure on us; we're completing every objective and then some pretty handily. I think we're pretty much square for air combat (we're not winning by that much), but we are just really good at ground attack and I don't think the AI has so much as managed to put a column in our territory, or successfully take out any of our columns.

I'd say part of this is because we can respawn but the AI fields a whole fuckload more planes than we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

I'll see what I can do but it's a challenge. The issue really is how Lowengrin accomodates MDS in his DCG. It isn't completely fleshed out so there's no consequence to dying. Adjusting the generated missions would mean such a delay between sessions that people would be waiting upwards of 20 minutes every map change.

If Lowengrin is really active in development I'll ask if he can implement something. Maybe limits to how many aircraft are available or something so there's more risk.

The easier solution is to switch to a full on co-op campaign but I'm not sure I'd want to do that. It sucks when you have to sit out up to an hour of gameplay because you died early in a mission.

I think respawning is fine because we have more fun that way -- nobody wants to sit out. I was just wondering if we could give them more ground material (like, twice as many tank columns or something), so that we can't easily cover all the territory in a single mission and they might have a chance of gaining some territory.

It's not a big deal, just something I was wondering about. I'd rather us not get too serious about it and just keep having fun. TBH, I don't even think we should adjust the pilot skill because I think we're at a real nice compromise. Was just wondering if we were able to give the enemy a slight boost with the ground stuff. This is much more fun than having to restart a mission ten times because someone crashed on takeoff, or to be sitting out because you took an unlucky hit at the start of combat. If there aren't any real options, it's better to not fix what ain't broke.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 4, 2013

• Locked thread