Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
The first two torrent links for the patches are currently giving a 404. A typo, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

VanOwen posted:

Namely that the game thinks that the slider on the throttle is the throttle rather then the full 'thing'?

Actually, that's fairly consistent. Wings of Prey did the same thing, as did DCS A-10.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Snapshot posted:

Anyone manage to get freetrack working with 4.11? Can't seem to get it working come hell or high water, and it feels like I have blinders on.

I'm having some small success with facetracknoir on Wings of Prey, but I'm hoping to get it up on 4.11 soon-ish. I know you're looking at freetrack, but there is an alternative. ;)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

VanOwen posted:

There are times I miss flying a Rook and making GBS threads up someones 100 million ISK toy.

Ditto, then I remember that it's CCP and the particular memory won't be there anymore.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
I finally decided to go back to basics and started up 'Straight from the Farm'. This is a nice series of short missions that are intended to be the most basic of training. So far it's been fairly easy, but great in teaching the basics, but I'm hitting a bit of a roadblock.

I've also asked this question before and been pointed to resources, but I need things broken into actual ingame actions. It's trim.

I understand the concept of trim in that you effectively tare (or 'zero') your flight controls to counter the center-of-gravity and other variables, but I'm getting a bit lost applying it in the cockpit.

So in the first 'takeoff' practice, I'm applying slight rudder to keep straight on the runway, then slight roll and pulling back after takeoff to maintain level flight. I know that I can set each trim to an axis, but that takes quite a bit of time, is there a quicker way?

Basically, tell me how you apply trim; keys, axes, weird little tips gratefully received.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ohno posted:

For your IL-2 flying experience, just find a way to easily trim. You'll want/need it constantly. If you can manage to get the trim adjustment binds onto your yoke/joystick, you'll be in the "ideal" setup.

This helps a lot. I'm currently using the X52 (with the LEDs turned *off*) and did try to bind trim to some of the throttle wheels, but that seems a bit fiddly. Would a hat be better on the joystick? Is my only feedback about the current trim going to be the airframe moving (no trim indicators?).

Straight from the farm is really very good. My landings are ragged as all hell and so far I've nosed-over once, but it's great at going over the basics. I'm not a fan of having rudder on the stick twist, though. Does everyone do this, or is there a better way?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Edit: redundant question because it's fixed.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 2, 2012

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bondematt posted:

For trim on the x52 I put it on the top left hat on the stick. Rudder/elevator only. Aileron can be on the keyboard as it's not as necessary, and most planes don't have it anyway.

To trim what you want to do is keep the plane in unaccelerated flight with stick/rudder and then trim out the "pressure" you put on the stick. For changing conditions I usually just trim for cruise and leave it there, and all planes are trimmed for cruise on takeoff in IL2 IIRC.

Those trim wheels are pretty bad, the only thing I use them for is zoom in a-10c

Yeah, I've shifted one of the wheels to prop pitch. I've tried setting up the hat with variable results...I've got it set to keypresses and in testing it appears to hold down control and hit the arrow key (I have ctrl+arrows set for trim), but it can be wildly off in game. I have a horrible feeling that I need to adjust deadzones on the stick, because on takeoff I can be trying to hold half deflection to keep the thing level before trimming.

I've tried using the arrow keys instead of the hat and that seems to work a lot better, but I'm still spending quite a lot of time trying to balance the thing.

I bit the bullet and bought a TrackIR 5. Holy hell, is it night and day. I can't really use during the day due to a window behind me (blackout curtain next), but it's incredibly good for being able to look around easily.

Dantares posted:

So what kind of restrictions are there by purchasing the game via steam? I'd much prefer to get it from steam just for the convenience, but not if it means I'd miss out on certain things.

I haven't noticed any, but I think the point is an update could give you a bad time.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dantares posted:

I was more thinking along about the fact that steam/valve isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so I'll be able to re-download il-2 for the foreseeable future, whereas with GoG, it isn't as sure. Not to say that GoG is a fly by night company or anything, but I bought the game previously through Direct2Drive and I cant re-download it since they have been bought out, so I just don't want to have to purchase it a 3rd time down the road.

But no DRM sounds good so gently caress it, I guess. GoG it is.

Edit: Oh, GoG is based in Europe which my bank blocks. Steam it is!

You could log into gamefly and check. After d2d got bought out, you could go save your keys and they were supposed to be transferred, although ymmv.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sackmo posted:

Daidalos Team released another video showing off some of the miscellaneous improvements for 4.12. Here's a summary:

Manual bomb bay doors are going to create hilarity, but a mix axis is nice.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

dayman posted:

New cinematic trailer for IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad. It's apparently available for pre-order now for deluxe access this fall or standard later this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4014tNwcao

Here are the details of the game as of June.

I hope they know that pretty much everyone has gotten burned and they'll need so gameplay videos at some point. Pretty cinematics are one thing.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

I've never bought from GOG but I've heard from people that do that it's dead simple to buy and install games from there. If I for some reason needed to buy it again I'd probably opt for GOG over Steam, if only because it's DRM free and easier to deal with. It also makes it easier to back up your install just in case you do want to dick around with a mod.

I've used Gog a lot and it really is a piece of piss to use. Also 'Patched to version 4.12.1' for their version.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

dayman posted:

Ahh, I see. Then yeah, I'd recommend smoothing out your curve a little more. Basically, instead of linear, make it look more convex. and reduce the top tier to 80-85 and see where that gets you.

I tend to throw quite a bit of deadzone onto my rudder because of an inability to not twist the joystick while doing other things; valid trick, or am I missing something (other than buying pedals, which is going to happen since I bought Huey). I have no experience other than lawndarting planes in sims.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

Hopefully the new IL-2 will be great, it's being put together by the people at 777 studios, who actually managed to release a very good sim not too long ago.

Dunno, sims are tending to go extremely vertical at the moment with per-plane DLC and 777 appear to be right in the middle of that.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
So a new patch dropped, 4.12.2. Looks like fixes for a couple of things, but I'm looking for patch notes.

1c forum post

Hav fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 25, 2013

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mike-o posted:

I took the plunge and preordered it a while ago, so call me an idiot but at least I'll be able to tell you guys whether it sucks or not :shrug:

Pre-emptive "I'm an idiot."

If you're taking a bullet for me on purchase, you're a goddamn hero (and an idiot)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

kalstrams posted:

Hit the silk = bail out ?

Yeah, traditionally parachutes were made from silk.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Vahakyla posted:

The new X55 joystick, http://www.saitek.com/x55/ , is up for pre-order in North America.

Anyone actually played with this yet, or is it bleeding edge? The price point is certainly more attractive than the warthog.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Re: DCS A-10

I'm actually amused by the concept of a guided ramp starts simultaneously.

While drunk.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Captain Novolin posted:

I'd vote for our first round of RoF to be more dicking around than a campaign since it'll take getting used to. I thought I was bad at dogfighting in IL-2 :saddowns:

You and me both. At the moment I appear to be trying to scare things out of the air. I did have an entertaining flight in a Felixstowe the other night; that's a lot of plane, and the dorsal gunner looks hilarious.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Did Cliffs of Dover get removed from Steam?

Is it at all playable at the moment with the community patches, and will it become 'good' or is forever lost?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Battle of Stalingrad is almost out, so Dover is kind of moot, but for five bucks, why not.

Thanks! The very day that I ask about it.

Edit: I can see why everyone was so pissed. That menu system is :argh:. It's super-detailed and all, but runs like dogshit on even low settings, with pop-in all over the place.

The ground detail is fun, and gives you something to look at during the training flight where you go through a couple of rings, *then wait for the instructor to land the plane*, but seems largely unnecessary on a game where you're flying as much as you do. I'm going to have to tweak the display settings down on certain things if I can. This is pre-Team Fusion patch as I'm trying to settle the controls and display settings.

I hope that the Gypsy Moth is just twitchy to fly, otherwise that's another thing to tweak.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 26, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Seriously, don't even bother with the base game just to get used to things before installing Team Fusion. Install that mod NOW.

Hell, I couldn't even get the game to start before I installed the mod.

They recommend starting vanilla to get the controls right first. I'll be installing the mod later, but wow.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

I've got an X52 I bought like 7-8 years ago. It still holds up fine, and I've "modded" it so that it's actually pretty good.

You should mod your X52 if you like it. It makes the motions more fluid and precise, and gets rid of the stupid dead zones that exist due to the weak magnets that are poorly set up. It's really easy to fix.

Literally 45 seconds. Home Depot does a pack of 6 'super magnets' that are 12mm x 3mm (~$5). Drop out the four screws under the joystick and locate the two moving carriages. They have a couple of magnets that move away and towards the hall sensors. Simply stick a new magnet to the back to the back of the current magnet in each case, four in total.

The newly increased magnetic flux will tighten up the deadzones without mucking about with glue. Screw the joystick back together and now you'll really notice the center flappiness and throttle pots.

My next task (apart from purchasing an X55) is removing the throttle detent and seeing if I can clean the pot any.

I'll defend the X52 as a 'decent' entry level HOTAS that is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I very much doubt my flying ability would be honed by a better stick at this point.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

JerikTelorian posted:

The Kickstarter money is pretty much gone, all spent on a the flight model for the 109.

Luthier is completely off the project, apparently, and they're attempting to make sure that everyone that pitched for the stretch goals like the flight manuals actually gets them.

Ilya joins the swelling ranks of developers that can't estimate time successfully.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Vahakyla posted:

Because with two educated people working for a year plus their retirement insurance costs in Russia or whatever, plus the amount of money that went into the accounting/payment of salaries, the price tag seems about right.

It's three guys, and I doubt they would have waited until the entire money pool was exhausted, just long enough to decide that DCS was going to get dragged through a puddle and to step in and pull back any 'on behalf of' with a press-release.

Here's the rough feature list that I thought was too good to be true for $100,000;

Detailed recreations of famous WWII aircraft.
Meticulous modeling of individual aircraft systems.
Planes can be flown by following actual historical flight manuals without the need to refer to in-game documentation!
Huge game world painstakingly recreated from period maps.
Rich single-player experience recreating famous battles from both sides.
Fight in famous battles like the D-Day Invasion and the Battle of the Falaise pocket.
Join a historical squadron and fly alongside famous aces from both sides.
Advanced AI recreates historical tactics and models pilots of varying skill levels, from bumbling rookies to merciless aces.
Dynamic weather and seasons add a beautiful backdrop and additional challenges to each sortie.
Comprehensive training system makes the game accessible to people who have never flown before.
Detailed aircraft manuals explain the specifics of each aircraft, and the realities of historical aerial combat.
Robust multiplayer module provides the ultimate challenge by pitting players against each other in heated large-scale battles.
Powerful mission and campaign editors allow creation of player-made scenarios.
Mission replay system, pilot log book, and other features add to the player experience.
Regular content updates.

Stretch Goal

A flyable Messerschmitt Me.262A-1
Single-player campaign for the Me.262

(Note the last one. You get the Normandy map, so presumably it'll be the historical deployment of the Me 262 in Northern France. :D)

The stretch goal they didn't hit was Southern England for $275,000, suggesting that they wanted $125,000; or almost double the amount of the feature list above (including the Normandy map) for about the same size map. Taking the 'games cost money to produce' thing below, manually creating a period map for a game is actually a fairly weighty undertaking, and they themselves stated that it could be an issue;

"So, the biggest unknown in this kickstarter is the landscape. There is a potential for something unknown, unpredictable, currently lurking in the shadows, jumping out eight months from now and causing us to delay."

The interesting part of this was that CLoD was a slavish recreation of the landscape down to the high polygon models that you see _in passing_; getting bogged down in detail was such a consistent thing for these guys there were standing jokes about it.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pretty much.

I'm not sure if some of you guys are aware, but video games cost a lost of money to make.

No poo poo. Landscape mapping is labour intensive, and the ridiculously low price of the kickstarter was one of the reasons that it looked too good to be true, although I kinda assumed that they'd be able to build off what they had from previous projects; this may not have been true. Also, presumably there are more than three people at RRG, but I don't know.

Did anyone back this and have access to the backer forum? How far along is it?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Would I be completely out of order if I asked for tips on how to get a Spitfire off the ground in CloD? I've managed to master the tight burnouts on the left wingtip and would like to fly now please.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tehsid posted:

But jesus its pretty. And it feels great. This is the first sim (short of Elite Dangerous) that I've used my track IR with, so that might be part of my problem, as its almost overwhelming at times.
I love it.

It's extremely pretty, but it feels very clunky, and that motion blur is obnoxious. Any way to turn it off?

So far I'm finding AI gunners seem to have lasers, diving on a Pe-2 left me on fire....the bailout animation is actually kinda fun.

Edit: I have the X52, and the only real problems are endemic to the stick itself, although I've removed the detents and done the magnet mod. Not got around to shimming the spring, though, so it still feels a bit loose while centered. I'm keeping an eye on the X55; reports are that quality is wildly variable, but I'm still mulling pedals.

Edit again: vvv Thanks, you're a star. That was really harshing things last night.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 27, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

pixelbaron posted:

Yes!

In the end I don't think there was any direction. I hear Team Fusion has patched it up pretty well.

It's still a pig in molasses and I couldn't find a map last night while comparing it to BoS, which is altogether friendlier. It's pretty enough, but they appear to have gotten to a point and simply given up.

The other downside is that flying the Ju88 comes with this guy;

It's disconcerting, he's judging me with those eyes. Judging my pilot abilities.

Ralith posted:

The X52's pretty sticky and gets jittery pots after a while, though. Not that it won't get the job done.

I've had mine for a couple of years and haven't noticed any input spikes, YMMV, much like their quality control.

I think I'm getting the hang of BoS. I've gone from;

Edit: Not pictured, the solitary wheel that came bouncing out of the explosion. That was the moment I fell in love.

to;

Undercarriage being a nazi plot.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 28, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Geisladisk posted:

BOS is looking fine, but a 50$ game selling two planes for 20$ a pop as DLC before it's even out is making me pretty skeptical. And it isn't even as if these are some weird non-essential planes, FW-190s and LA-5s are two of the quintessential WW2 fighter planes.

It gave me pause for thought, but I went with it on a couple of counts;

1) It's on Steam.
2) Steam does a decent job of promoting sales as a way of increasing revenue.
3) They won't keep their price forever.

Technically this still makes me a dickhead for throwing down on early access, but I'm an imperfect person. On the 'Con' side, it does appear that you'll also be paying for maps and missions.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

nullpunkt posted:

From what I remember, they don't actually plan on going the DLC planes route. The FW190/LA5 deal is there just to get some additional funds for development, future releases are supposed to come in an expansion pack type deal with a couple of aircraft, new campaign or new maps or something. Whether or not they will honor that plan remains to be seen.

If there was official word of that, I'd drop money now. It's the idea of the Rise of Flight pricing model making it over that worries me, that was incomprehensible.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Smekerman posted:

edit 2: basically, I have no idea how that development team was able to release IL-2 Sturmovik and its subsequent expansions, as they seem completely loving incompetent.

Everyone remembers the frontman, not the band. In short, it pays to have a really good business manager that can rein in the crazy.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shanakin posted:

From memory, they used all their money up really quickly on some dumb stuff and then ditched the project forcing ED to take it up at great cost.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=125454

They burned through the kickstarter cash and couldn't finish the project, so ED stepped in. It seems that higher tier backers got burned. Oleg can't catch a break at this point (I am being charitable).

Amusingly, they stated that the Kickstarter would never have produced the money they needed to finish in something RRGs lawyers might have termed 'fraud' had they existed. You'll notice how ED doesn't want to get into discussions, but effectively taking money for a product that you _know_ can't be finished has some very specific law surrounding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Re: Battle of Stalingrad

JerikTelorian posted:

So, BoS added engine control information to the HUD, like we had asked in the thread. It's fairly apparently they had it in the works, so that's great. The icons are still kinda crap but I have hope that is in the works too.

One very nice feature is that when your plane has auto radiator/prop/mix, there's an icon on the HUD to let you know.

They've added the single player campaign as well, as of Friday, and are suggesting that it's 90% complete with a release date of November 1st. Starting a 'short' mission will start you off in auto-everything, which is nice.

I can confirm that you can chop the tail off a Ju87, but your Lagg becomes a terrible glider. I'm enjoying it so far. The planes feel a lot more weighty and 'realistic'.

• Locked thread