Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
IL-2 is still the all around best WWII flight simulator available. Despite being over a decade old it still offers the best all around simulation of fighting on all fronts of WWII as well as the conflicts between Finland and Soviet Russia.

The 4.11 patch adds a ton of new features including AI that are worse pilots but better shots. Vision limitations on AI so they can't see through clouds and their line of sight is blocked by their cockpit, wings etc. Better bomb fusing (with the option to turn it off all together and go old school) and most importantly, 6DOF support for TrackIR users.

Shamelessly stolen from the old thread:

What is Il-2 Sturmovik?

Il-2 Sturmovik series is the award-winning family of flight simulation that started in 2001 with the release of the original Il-2 Sturmovik. Three major releases and innumerable add-ons later, it is the most realistic, most complex WWII flight simulation in the world, with, as of this moment, 229 flyable and over 300 total aircraft. But don't let the numbers fool you; all of them are modeled with incredible precision and attention to detail, and no other sim to this day is anywhere close to us in terms of accuracy in both the visuals and the flight performance.

What is Il-2 Sturmovik: 1946?

It's a compilation of all previously released Il-2 Sturmovik content (Il-2 Sturmovik, Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion Pack, and Pacific Fighters), plus new content separated into three large chunks: Pe-2 Peshka, focusing on the most famous Russian medium / dive bomber of the war; Sturmoviks over Manchuria, focusing on the Soviet Far East and the Japanese defense of Okinawa, Iwo Jima and the home islands; and 1946, a what-if add-on focusing on experimental Soviet and German jet and rocket fighters.

What about IL-2: Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover? Why aren't you playing the sequel instead?

Cliffs of Dover is incredible, visually. Everything else about the game, to be honest, is a disaster. The game is full of glaring technical issues preventing a lot of people from playing. Even after getting past these technical issues, the gameplay issues such as target visibility issues, a lack of a dynamic campaign, a very limited selection of planes and a UI that is somehow worse than IL-2 1196 have kept a lot of people from bothering to play it even if it runs well on their PC.

What about multiplayer?

In addition to stellar single-player, we have the extremely popular multiplayer modes:

Dogfight mode, which is just a general free-for-all, on servers with up to 128 people.

Co-op mode, where people fly more organized missions, usually against AI. There's no respawning which leads to more realistic fighting.

Moving Dogfight Server (MDS). This blends the two. MDS missions generally are one side VS AI but can have players on both. There's also AI aircraft, moving ships and vehicle columns to blow up. You get to respawn and select from a variety of different aircraft, just like dogfight servers.

For general online play, the most popular game matching service for Il-2 is Hyperlobby which can be found at https://www.hyperfighter.sk

There's also a great third party utility called Lowengrin's Dynamic Campaign Generator. It's a little finicky and still gives you the occasional boring, unbalanced or just plain strange mission with a flight path that makes no sense but overall it's the best at quickly running a more flushed out campaign. It works for both single player and all multiplayer modes. When we host multiplayer campaigns we use this more often than not.

Where can I get it?

Steam has it for $9.99
Gog also has it for $9.99. You can get it here.

I recommend getting it from GoG, if only because you'll get a completely unrestricted game which makes dealing with mods and the inevitable reinstall when things go wrong.

How do I get my game updated to play with everyone else?

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 is now completely up to date with all Team Daidalos patches on both Steam and GOG

We usually don't play with mods but there are a lot out there, including the 2 most popular mod compilations; UltraPak and HSFX. If you do want to install them we reccomend that you back up a clean installation of your game in case something goes wrong.

Come play

If you want to play with goons you'll need to hop on the IRC channel. If you don't have an IRC client there is a web client that you can use here.

IRC Channel: #il2gs on irc.synirc.net
You can also find us in the flight sim channel: #flightsim

Steam Group
There's now a Steam group for IL-2 goons.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/il2goons

Mumble
We use the general SA Flightsim mumble for voice communications in game. Get Mumble here.
AirGoons.mumble.cc port 31148

Don't think you need to be good at this game to play with us. We're all really terrible at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ4-6YwGN6Q&

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
HOW TO PLAY / WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

What do I need to play this game?

You need a joystick. I know of a few people who play with keyboard and mouse :wtf: or an XBox controller but they generally have issues.

The most highly reccomended stick for beginners is the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. It has all the buttons and axis you'll need to get going. If you don't get that stick specifically, at least get a stick that has a twist axis or other axis for rudder control. You'll need it, trust us.

If you find that you really like flight sims, the next step isn't a better stick, it's TrackIR. This will allow you to control where you're looking with your head instead of your mouse or hat switch. Being able to watch where you're going and where your targets are is the most important thing in the game and this makes it a lot easier. Keep in mind that it's an expensive piece of kit so make sure you like sims enough to bother investing in it.

There are 2 cheaper alternatives, FreeTrack and FaceTrackNoIR that some people have had various levels of success.

After that, the sky is the limit when it comes to flight sim hardware. You can even build yourself a replica cockpit of your favourite plane. If you do, please post pictures so we can laugh at you. Be sure to wear a scarf and aviator goggles in the pic.

What controls do I need to know to fly with goons?

We play with most realism settings turned on. Stalls, Spins, Engine Management, Realistic Fusing etc. We generally allow things like external views, padlock, map icons etc. For Complex Engine Management you need to manage these things and bind their controls:

Radiator - Keeps the hot side hot and the cool side cool.

Prop Pitch - Sugggested control: Mouse wheel or A/Z

Higher % is like running your car in 1st gear. The prop blades are set at a very fine angle making the prop and engine spin like hell. Use this during take off and landing, turn fights and high angle climbs. Lowering the pitch % means the prop bites a lot more in to the air and spins slower which slows down the engine RPMs in turn. It's like shifting to higher gears in a car. Lower the pitch when you're diving (for more speed) or cruising. The lower prop (and engine) RPMs generate less heat and use less fuel. Take a look at the Aircraft Guide.pdf in the root folder. Each plane there has an entry and in there you should see a best cruise and combat RPM (and also where that gauge is). Use your pitch to try to stay on this target.

Fuel Mix - Suggested control: Shift A/Z

Most of the time we're flying low enough and short enough distances that 100% is fine so don't worry too much about it. Do set it to 120% for short takeoffs if possible, especially from carriers and then drop it back to 100% as soon as your gear and flaps are up. Mix is what controls how much gas goes to the engine. Higher % means more gas. The higher you go the less gas your plane needs because the air is thinner. Dropping it gives better performance and saves fuel. You generally don't need to mess with this unless you're climbing up past 10K'. Check the aircraft guide, some of the entries will include mixture settings for given altitudes.

Supercharger - Suggested Control: Alt A/Z

Compresses the air/fuel mix before it's sent to the cylinders. Some planes have multi stage compressors. At higher altitudes the air gets thinner so the supercharger needs to be shifted up a gear. The aircraft guide sometimes tells when you want what stage. In general, watch your Manifold Pressure gauge, when going full throttle won't give you full pressure, bump it up a stage. Warning - Running your supercharger at too high a stage will quickly explode your engine.

Engine Selection Stuff

We usually have single engine start on. I have mine set to Ctrl+Numpad 1-4 for toggling engine selection 1-4. Ctrl+Numpad 0 for unselect all Engines, Ctrl+Numpad 8 for select all, etc. The reason we leave this on is because if it's disabled you can't do stuff like shut off one engine, trigger the extinguisher for that engine or feather the prop on just one engine if you need to.

Why are most of my controls unbound? What do I need to set?

I'm really not sure why there aren't default controls for everything, but you'd probably end up changing most of them anyway. Some are only used in specific planes and some are rarely used at all. The best thing to do is just start playing. You'll figure out if you need to bind something. Edit: if you're playing single player, bind Time Skip to something. It will help if you get bored waiting for the action.

Aside from the Complex Engine Management stuff listed above, here are some other controls you might want to set right away:

Wingtip Smoke - THE MOST IMPORTANT CONTROL. We use this so it's easier to see each other. It's also pretty.

Tail Wheel Lock - This locks your tail wheel so you don't have to man handle the rudder on the start of your take off roll. Set this to something you can mash on and off quickly. I suggest H.

Chocks The little blocks they put under your wheels so you don't roll in to the guy in front of you when you inevitably fire up your engine with your throttle full open. When you spawn on a carrier they're also set automatically. I suggest Shift+B

Wing Folding - Most people don't set this control and then have to scramble when they decide to try taking off from a carrier and spawn with their wings folded. Set it to something like Alt+W so you won't accidentally mash it in flight and die a stupid, hilarious death.

I can't even get off the ground without crashing. What the hell?

The training videos are kind of neat, but they don't really help all that much. Most people learn better by doing. There's a great training campaign at http://www.mission4today.com called Straight From the Farm. You can download it here. It does a great job of teaching to you take off and land. You can also check out the book Stick and Rudder: an explanation of the Art of Flying if you like. This game is realistic enough that any book on flying will help. Pay special attention to the sections about landing and rudder control.

I can get in the air, but I can't hit anything. Why do I suck?

It just takes practice. Use the Quick Mission Builder to make a mission full of dummy planes. Pick something big and slow for your enemies and make sure their loadout is set to empty. At the bottom right where it says Defense, set that to None. Have fun shooting down the poor defenseless AI. Switch to smaller and faster planes as you get better. There's also a pretty good article about air to air gunnery here you should check out. Quick tip: Don't put your cross hairs on the target (unless you're directly behind them and they are flying perfectly straight). Put your cross hairs in front of the target, pull the trigger, and let them fly through your stream of bullets.

I'm now able to get my plane off the ground and maybe hit something. Now what?

There are a lot more tutorials online. Youtube is a great resource. Wikipedia is also very handy because of all of the armchair aces entering tons of details about planes, weapon systems, etc. If you don't know something like what bomb does what, look it up. Dart's tutorials can be found here and are excellent: http://www.youtube.com/user/SDTtraining/videos and http://www.darts-page.com/. Here's an excellent video by some English chap about how to use the Norden bomb sight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BY3i7BlCPo

CUSTOM MISSIONS

Some missions we run fairly often are here. Download these if you want to host. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55475/IL_2_Goon_Missions_Jan25.zip

TROUBLESHOOTING AND SUPPORT

I can't connect to network games.

IL-2 seems to hate computers with multiple network connections, including virtual connections for virtual machines. Disable all other network connections.

How do I get wide screen resolutions?

It should now be accessible in the GUI, if not, see below:

Inside your IL-2 directory is a configuration file called conf.ini Open it up and look for the part that says [window]. It should be near the top. Change the width and height to whatever you want and then change SaveAspect=1 to SaveAspect=0. The menu resolution doesn't change, but your in game resolution will. You can also download Il2 Stab 6.3 which will let you edit some of your graphics options without having to dig through your .ini files.

I can't see the mission briefings when I play online, save my quick mission settings and see other players awesome/horrible custom skins.

The Steam version doesn't seem to create the folders needed for this, probably because they're empty when you first install the game. Create these 3 folders by hand:

<IL2 ROOT FOLDER>\Missions\Net\cache (for online briefings)
<IL2 ROOT FOLDER>\PaintSchemes\NetCache (for skins and stuff)
<IL2 ROOT FOLDER>\Quicks (for saving quick missions)

Nobody can hear me on Mumble. My mic keeps on getting muted.

Go in to your sound settings, click Radio and turn off Voice Communication (switch in the DOWN position). IL-2 apparently has a VOIP client but I don't know how it works and I don't think anyone else does. Turn this off and forget it.

The AI won't shut up, I can't hear anything!

When creating/generating missions we either forget or can't be arsed to take away the AI's radios. Turn down AI voice volume by going in to the general sound options and turning Voice Volume down.

I have a split throttle but it messes up 4 engine planes!

In conf.ini find the entry UseSmartAxis=0 in the [RTS] section, change the 0 to a 1.

I want to use Ctrl + C/X/V in the Full Mission Builder!

Add the following lines to the very top of your conf.ini

Ctrl C=mis_copy
Ctrl X=mis_cut
Ctrl V=mis_paste

HOW TO USE LOWENGRIN'S DCG

Lowengrin's DCG is the best all around dynamic campaign generator. It's good for all forms of game play. Get it here

First don't bother with replacing the DGEN/NGEN/Whatever, that's just asking for something to break. Use Manual generation instead. After each mission just alt tab to DCG, tweak things a bit if you want to change something and click 'generate mission' again. Once you generate a mission you'll have to back out of the DCG folder and back in to see the mission with the updated date.

For Traditional Co-Ops

Set the mode to On-Line Co-Op.

Now, when selecting the campaign you have to get a feel of what maps produce the best missions. If you don't want to have to fly over open water in a straight line for 3 hours to see action you might not want to pick the Coral Sea or Solomons Map for instance, they're huge. I recommend smaller maps. The problem is the name of the campaigns you can generate don't correspond 100% to the name of the map in FMB so you'll have to play around. One day I'll ask for a list or make it myself.

Campaign Settings

I usually leave most of these at the defaults but you can tweak them to your liking. If you want an easier time of things you can adjust the overall ability of allied/axis AI.

The one important thing in Campaign Settings is the Action Radius. This is essentially how far you're willing to fly to get to the action. Goons are notorious for whining like babies if they have to spend more than 10 minutes without shooting at something so set this low. Be aware that as the campaign progresses you'll have to set this higher or you'll end up with either the same mission over and over again or something dumb like that. One way to combat this is to make sure you DO NOT have 'No Transfers' selected in the drop down menu. When you're given a transfer mission either sit down, shut up and experience the joy of flight or better yet just look on the map and see where you can take an impromptu detour to blow the crap out of something not too out of the way. If you leave 'No Transfers' on you'll end up with either hour long flights as your line advances, or flights that end when a tank shoots you in the face at mission start as you lose your airbase.

The other thing you might want to change is the Plane Supply Rate to compensate for your terrible pilots, otherwise after a half a dozen missions or so your squadron will be flying with one decent plane surrounded by a bunch of lawnmowers with wings.

Aircraft Class Settings

I've never changed a single thing on this page but this is where you'll do things like change default load outs for AI flights, what they do, how high they fly etc. If you want to make the TB-3 a dog fighter so you can fly CAP in a 4 engined open pit bomber this is where you do it. Good times.

Squadron Editor

This is where I do the most of my tweaking. The first squadron in the list is generally considered the 'player' squadron; it takes off from the runway first and gets assigned the most interesting stuff to do. Change the plane for this squadron for whatever you want to fly. You may also want to change their airfield to one closer to the front.

Go through each squadron and make sure they're flying the kinds of planes you want them to. Because the AI is essentially perfect at flying but completely moronic when it comes to fighting as a unit you want your allies in planes that can at least go toe to toe with their opponents in a one-on-one turning fight because that's all the AI seems to do. The most frustrating thing to do in IL2 is try to rely on a squadron of F4Fs when they insist on getting in to a turn fight with Zeros and don't cover each other.

If you're flying in the late war get rid of any stupid German fighter jets. Their speed advantage coupled with the fact that the AI can do no wrong when it comes to trim and engine settings means you'll just hate every minute of trying to fight them.

Other than that, you will probably want to adjust the AI skill level as they're a lot better shots now. You may also want to to fine tune things and turn off Radio for AI flights so you won't hear them yap.

Ground War, Column and Settings Panels

I don't know how this works. Maybe once I do the DCG stuff I host will be even more fun.

Custom Mission Panel

This is where you go to select the kind of mission you want to fly. This won't work 100% of the time, if the campaign doesn't have any tank columns to attack for instance, you'll get assigned a different mission.

Now, if your group complains about weather this is where you change it. Select what you want for best and worst weather and then click save.

For Moving Dogfight

IMPORTANT: Between missions, as soon as you leave the Dogfight Server Settings panel there's no buttton to get it back. Make your changes and then toggle the game mode to Coop and back to Dogfight to see the panel.

This is a nice feature as it basically gives you co-op missions with AI targets. It's very hit and miss but it's worth it to essentially run a campaign where people can drop in and out of the mission at any time. Lowengrin is getting better at this but it's free so don't complain. Sometimes the map generated will be terrible, have home bases off the map ETC. This is because from what I can tell the Dogfight/MDS mode basically makes a co-op mission and adds a few home bases in.

So, select Dogfight under mode and set Use MDS to Yes. I don't know what any of that other stuff does, I think it's mod related.

Now, edit everything like you would for a co-op mission, except the Squadron Editor. In Squadron Editor, if you want a plane to be only available to players, set it to Human Only. Any Pilot Type will put AI in that squadron, spawning at their selected airbase and AI only will make the plane unavailable to players but present in game. Keep in mind that AI planes spawn at mission start on the runway so you might want to set the AI only squadrons to a different field than the human only squadrons.

Once you're done, generate the mission and then either fly it and hope it doesn't suck or adjust it in the FMB.

Once you're done with a MDS mission, you can continue the campaign by having everyone disconnnect from the server, go back to the main menu (this is mandatory or it will mess up your campaign, click Generate Mission and then start the mission and have everyone log in again. The stats tracking isn't as robust as in Co-op but it's there.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 9, 2014

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So, we're trying to get some of our old hats back as well as some new blood. What I need to know is what we're doing wrong and what we're doing right. Pipe up or PM me.

For a few weeks we ran an IL-2 night on Mondays. I'm thinking of changing the night if another night is better for everyone. The best nights for me are Mon-Thurs.

We're going to do this by Instant Runoff Voting so list what days are best from you in order of best to least.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That bug was due to mods, including the 6DOF mod/sas modact etc. Now that we run with no mods everything is in English.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
IL-2 Missions will be hosted tonight, starting at 8PM EST. Show up early to get some practice in. :getin:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Last night was great, we had around 8 or 9 people online at one point, tearing poo poo up.

I'm going to work on more MDS missions. Those seem to be the sweet spot for us. Once more of the new guys get a handle on things we'll start doing actual co-op missions.

Be warned, in co-ops we usually restart the mission if you screw up and crash on take off but other than that it's a case of 'you die, you spend the next 20 minutes twiddling your thumbs'.

What I'm really hoping is that Lowengrin releases an updated DCG that has better MDS support. I'd love to see a co-op campaign that's run in dogfight mode where when you die you can only select the planes left on the ramp. This way if someone's 5 minutes late they can still grab whatever's left and catch up.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Read the OP. That's all you really need to know. We can walk you through the rest.

We're really not an elitist group of armchair aces. We mostly suck at this game and we don't care if you suck either! Hell, I'm making and encouraging others to try their hand at making more MDS missions, that way when you gently caress up and crash you don't have to wait out the rest of the mission.

EDIT: to connect to a server you get on IRC/Mumble, ask who's hosting and where to get the IP, click Multiplayer / Join Server, type in the IP (followed by :21000 if it doesn't connect without it) and click Join.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 25, 2012

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

This picture is going in the OP.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
A lot of people have been asking for control schemes, seeing as half the problem is setting up your buttons so that they're all mapped in a logical way.

Fortunately I'm a sperg and I made this years ago. My setting files from back when I flew with just an Extreme 3D Pro. Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7y2d0n5bcpu9bqm

Now, one thing to keep in mind is that there are NO view controls mapped because I used to fly with my left hand on my mouse.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The torrents may be really old. Use the download links that are in the forum threads if they aren't working.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So the first week or so has been awesome with lots of new and old people showing up to play games.

We need to keep it up! The thing is, doing NOTHING but IL-2 every night leads to burnout. Take a look at the OP, there's a list of games that most/all of us have. Get in IRC, get in mumble and tell people to STFU and come play games.

Also, we need more people to take the initiative and host. Feel like flying, announce it in IRC, get in mumble and throw up a server.

Here's something to get you started. This is the list of missions we have so far that we enjoy. There's both modified dogfight maps and MDS missions. The 2 most popular are the Guadacanal MDS in my folder and the HE111 Intercept mission by BreakfastMachine.

Download this and get flying.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55475/IL_2_Goon_Missions_Jan25.zip

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mondays, usually.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Basically, only resort to aileron trim if your slip gauge is already centred but your plane is still rolling.

This is the correct answer, both in IL-2 and in real planes.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to get sick of Fallout and want to get back in to planes. Look for goon poo poo going on starting mid next week.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
IL-2 Night back on tonight at 6 PM EST until whenever I decide to stop (unless someone else takes over hosting). I'm thinking Dogfights and then I'm going to try running MDS Campaigns (this means objectives AND respawning people, it's like Christmas came early, if this works).

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I applied but like hell I'm wasting my time with it until others confirm that it's at least simmy enough that you're not impeded by wanting to use a joystick over a mouse.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Yeoman posted:

I manage to take off and occasionally land without dying. Can i get a steam invite http://steamcommunity.com/id/weave

Invite sent.

Snapshot posted:

I killed my pc the other week, do one of the other admins will have to add you. Look for them on irc in #il2gs

poo poo man, that sucks.

In other news, Lowengrin's DCG generates OK MDS missions. This means most of the content of of co-op but we get to respawn. Despite the lack of waypoints on the map if you read the briefing it'll tell you generally where you need to go and what you need to do.

LP, Ralith, mobius and I played a few missions and it was pretty cool. We ended up with some really terrible weather to fly in but now that AI can't see through clouds it's actually kinda neat.

At least when I'm playing with the guys I'll make Steam events but the best way to see what's going on is to get in IRC and/or Mumble.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've been using it to host since it came out. No issues yet.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately, no. I've looked. I have the same problem, so do a lot of others.

The work around I use is to bind padlock ground to a joystick button. That way you can look in the general area of what you're looking for and mash the button until it hooks to something.

It's a shame that most sim makers don't have a graceful way to deal with the fact that it's just plain harder to pick something out on a computer monitor than with your own eyes. Falcon 4's method of doing this seems to be the most reasonable; they just make everything on the ground look bigger. RoF does a pretty neat thing too, they have little airplane sprite icons that appear on screen when you're close enough to a plane that a real pilot with reasonable eyesight would be able to pick it out.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 18, 2012

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Get online some time when we're playing (which sadly isn't much these days) and we'll show you the ropes.

In general, the 'plane pulling to the left/right' thing is due to a few factors and is actually natural. The I-16 has no trim so the plane will only be straight and level at a certain altitude and speed. Outside of these parameters you'll have to keep a constant control input. Compensate for the turn with rudder. When you're in the air flying at the altitude you want you basically have to fiddle with your power and pitch until your plane is flying straight and level.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

LP97S posted:

I hate to say it EvilJoven, but you might have to step up yet again to get us to play a game made by Russians 11 years ago and maintained by people who I would have sworn were fascists until the most recent patch.

Alright, I'll see about stepping it up but it's going to be hard. I'm starting to suffer from sim fatigue in general and I just did something stupid and decided to give EVE another go...

EDIT: I just realised there's something seriously loving wrong with me. When I got burned out on BF3 I turned to ARMA. When I got burned out on IL-2 I turned to DCS-A10. Now that I'm getting burned out on what I play in general I'm turning to a spaceship MMO with a learning curve like a brick wall.

Why do I hate myself so much?

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 26, 2012

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I want to start doing this again next week. Who's in?

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 13, 2012

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tues or Weds works well for me.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tuesday it is! We might also do something Thursday.

For next weekend, I'm thinking of doing something different. I'm going to download Aces High sign up for the free trial and see just how it is. I know the graphics are old and poo poo but I don't care, I want to try something new.

If anyone cares to join me, the download is under 250MB.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Don't forget, IL-2 tonight. Start thinking about what you want to fly and where.

If possible can we get another host to take over when I need to head off so PST players can get some time in?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Check the second post, I just stuck some info about Lowengrin's DCG in there.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If Lowengrin's skill settings are the same as the in game settings, any level below Rookie or maybe average will mop the floor with anyone who hasn't been playing for years. They're crack shots now.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bumping this because summer is over and I've brushed the dust off my joystick, over and over and over. The spring attempt to revive the goon IL-2 group were a colossal failure due to low numbers but fall is coming, IL-2 Cliffs of Dover is still a miserable failure so it's back to IL-2 1946!

4.11.1 is out, which fixed a few bugs in the awesome 4.11 patch.

I'm going to try something different this time around; playing with both goons and non goons on the Skies of Valour server.

I know the server is run by the same people that run Skies of Fire and that it's generally a lovely time on that server but it's due to the fact that it's an all planes dogfight 99% of the time. Skies of Valour, on the other hand, does more historical ground attack/dogfight hybrid missions where the win condition is usually met by blowing stuff up on the ground, not by scoring kills against people who have had more practice boom and zooming in their favourite late war FockeWulfes than real Luftwaffe pilots ever had in the 40s.

In the past I found the SoV guys to be pretty chill. Spergy, of course, but mostly decent to play with.

So check out IRC/Mumble/Steam to see if I or anyone else is playing. The SoV guys have their own Teamspeak which means we can use the Goon flightsim mumble (check the OP) for our own stuff and use their TS at the same time if we opt to.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
This weekend, including Monday, is out due to Thanksgiving. After that, I'll be good this winter for most Monday and Saturday evenings.

Of we're going to do this, I still think the best way to go about this would be to start flying Skies of Valour. It's sparsly to moderately populated most of the time and it's compatible with 4.11.1 stock and the newest HSFX (I think). Personally, I won't be using mods.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Co-op in Hyperlobby is really hit or miss. Back in the day, half the time when I tried to join in I'd get booted because I didn't have a mod installed for some obscure variant of an aircraft that saw 2 months of service in a single squadron before being replaced.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
OP updated with 4.11.1. I won't be putting Skies of Valour in the OP lest people not read the thread and realize that it's not goon run and requires a certain amount of good behavior.

Skies of Valour can be connected to via Hyprlobby or direct IP connection.

Server IP: 204.80.88.43:21040
Teamspeak 3 IP: 204.80.88.43:8761 pw = cool

Requires 4.11.1, HSFX 6 is not required but works with it and is needed to fly a few planes in selected missions.

Their website is http://skiesoffire.org

I might be able to play this Monday. Apparently we'll be back in time for the wife to play hockey.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The last time we tried to revive IL-2 on our own we got maybe one or two players and everyone would wander off after a half an hour because people kept saying that it's no fun when it's only one or two people, which I tend to agree with.

If we ever attract enough people, including people other than me willing to host (because gently caress feeling obligated to host whenever someone might be around who might be interested in playing) who are also willing to actually encourage people to hang out and play games we can start hosting goon only events again.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 6, 2012

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Flannelette posted:

CLOD Turd Polishing Mod Release Notes

Does this do anything worthwhile? It's been so long since I've launched that lovely game that I forget how bad it was.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'd imagine there'd be an upper limit somewhere, especially being a 32 bit app with not so great netcode.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The greatest thing about the no collision trees was it forced a lot of people who had the horsepower to handle rendering them to disable them anyway. If you didn't, you were forced to contend with people popping out from under the tree canopy to reverse bounce you.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
How big is the patch? I'm not about to download 12 gigs worth of crap just to try it out. Hell, I've had the CLOD update on steam paused since whenever the last update was released.

EDIT: it also better not require me logging on to the banana forums. I went and got myself permabanned there a short while after 1C did it's 'Eat a dick, CLOD players, we're making a new sim now!' bullshit and the sycophants on those horrible forums started kissing their asses again.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 23, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
CLOD Team Fusion Patch trip update.

First of all, if you want to try this, disable Mumble overlay or the UI menus won't even launch properly.

But to be honest, I'd not bother. There's still issues trying to spot aircraft. There seems to be a 1-2km deadzone where you just can't see anything. Apparently this is due to FOV but I haven't heard anything on how to fix it.

Despite getting the game to launch and at least remembering how to turn on and fly a Hurricane, I just don't care. After getting shot down in my Hurricane by something I simply couldn't see, I tried to remember how to start up a Blenheim, failed once and decided I just can't be arsed to bother trying to like this game.

Maybe I'll be able to drum up some enthusiasm for the IL-2 777 Studios puts out.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 1, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
You know, it's kinda sad that nobody noticed until now. Maybe I should download it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just gave 4.12 a shot. It was really nice and brought back a lot of good memories. :unsmith:

If anyone wants to get together to play sometime, install the latest HyperLobby so we can find a good server to get on to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've never had problems playing on other peoples servers via Hyperlobby. Maybe some people break in to hives when exposed to non goons but I even get along fine in pubbie voice comms.

• Locked thread