Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They are likely to be some sort of DLC campaign that would play like RE4 Ada's Separate Ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah, they're also the other team you can play as in the competitive multiplayer, as I understand it, though I thought there was some other group for that as well. I don't know, maybe that was just preliminary stuff that had three different teams.

There are three teams but only two are playable. The monsters that randomly attack the other two teams are the third team. Yeah it's weird.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Eurogamer gave their new Resident Evil: Revelations review today

The comment about the voice acting was something alright :stare:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Good to know the dialogue writing hasn't gotten any better. Oh Resi. :allears:

e: Also if you called Resident Evil 'Resi' to my face I would probably instinctively punch you.

Meowjesty fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 26, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The praise for Raid Mode is all I needed to hear. Even if the main story isn't great, Raid Mode is gonna sell me on the game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Schlegel Mach posted:

e: Also if you called Resident Evil 'Resi' to my face I would probably instinctively punch you.

For some reason, all of the UK people call it "Resi." I used to do a lot of writing for OXM UK and NGamer back in the day and it drove me up the wall.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Resident Evil Online for PSN and XBOX Live with keyboard support is one of those things I desperately wish Capcom would re-release but never will like a download of the D&D and Alien vs Predator arcade games. I was lucky enough to be in the FFXI beta so I had the hard drive which helped a lot with the load times (there were much, much better) so the only problem was being unable to communicate with people and tell Kevin players not to run ahead and get killed (Kevin somehow attracted the most cretinous people).

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
"KEVIN HAS A GUN AND HE'S FAST AND HE'S LIKE LEON WITH STUBBLE SO I'M GONNA PICK KEVIN WHY CAN'T I RELOAD MY GUN"

--that guy who dies 5 minutes into an Outbreak level.

I'm not sure if my favorite character to play as was Cindy or Yoko. They were both fragile as glass but had bigger inventories and dodge moves that made you invincible. Yoko was more useful if you were good, since she could carry things other than herbs, but Cindy was more useful if your -team- was bad, since then you could save their asses/your own. I miss those fuckin' games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Kevin was Tom Cruise in a Resident Evil game and that kicked rear end. He was also like one of two characters in the franchise who understood the concept of actually taking your time to aim at enemies.

His competence is what lead to STARS passing him over for membership.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Biggest bullshit in Outbreak: Alyssa's lockpicks. Did anyone ever figure out which one of those things to use without looking it up in a guide? Did we need 4 choices?

edit: holy crap, I just remembered Jim and doing the worm flopping around from one end of the room to another. And stacking 3 heads coin flips and getting 75% critical hits. Jim owned. Outbreak owned.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think my favorite was either Alyssa since she was pretty all around decent or Jim since he was awesome. I also saw more Zombie Kevins than regular ones since they would typically run out of the room in episode 1 while we were searching for items and then died to who knows what. Being able to grief your team mates as a zombies was also great.

I wonder if any of those characters are canonical. They all made it out at the end on one of the few RE non-exploded helicopters but I never played the second game.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

I think my favorite was either Alyssa since she was pretty all around decent or Jim since he was awesome. I also saw more Zombie Kevins than regular ones since they would typically run out of the room in episode 1 while we were searching for items and then died to who knows what. Being able to grief your team mates as a zombies was also great.

I wonder if any of those characters are canonical. They all made it out at the end on one of the few RE non-exploded helicopters but I never played the second game.

They made it out, AGAIN, in a truck this time. George was the best.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Holy poo poo, I just rewatched the RE6 trailer and there's in-game footage where Leon uses an ax to chop a guy in the head.

Melee weapons confirmed? Or maybe it's a counter/defensive move?

Edit: It's right after Chris gets pulled over his cover, in the very fast montage at the end. Also, Chris punched a soldier who wore a clown mask.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 26, 2012

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Eurogamer gave their new Resident Evil: Revelations review today

The comment about the voice acting was something alright :stare:

It sounds like this game is going full retard RE1 style with the dialogue. I might have to buy a 3DS for it if that's true.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The PAL version of Revelations is dubbed in multi5, too, so you can enjoy the cheese in multiple languages.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011
Well, It comes out in Europe in about a day - nearly two weeks before us yanks - so you'll know soon with plenty of time to spare. If the review's gushing is accurate, Raid mode might make the entire thing worthwhile on its own. Giant versions of enemies? RPG elements? Superpowered, psychotic weaponry? I may need to drop out of college to make enough time for this. That being all possible time.

Serious question though: what exactly does the joystick add-on contribute to the controls? From my recollection, the right analog stick did jack poo poo in both Resi 4 AND 5. What makes it so important this go-round? Or is it just bundled so people can the peripheral for cheap, like those old Wiimote+game bundles?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are lots of people who are just ideologically opposed to the idea of being restricted to one circle pad, even if having two of them doesn't make an appreciable difference, and most of 'em are gonna wanna pick up a game like Revelations, so the bundle makes sense from that perspective.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's a modern Resident Evil game, so it probably doesn't even really need a second analog stick. There's no simultaneous move/shoot functionality in Revelations right? Like in a game such as Operation Raccoon City it'd be necessary but if Revelations is another RE4/5 stand-and-shoot affair then you'd be fine with just the one circle pad.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Policenaut posted:

It's a modern Resident Evil game, so it probably doesn't even really need a second analog stick. There's no simultaneous move/shoot functionality in Revelations right? Like in a game such as Operation Raccoon City it'd be necessary but if Revelations is another RE4/5 stand-and-shoot affair then you'd be fine with just the one circle pad.

Holding L while aiming with R you can strafe and shoot, but you can't aim while strafing, I'm assuming the add-on would put strafing on the left pad and aiming on the right.
Edit: let me fact check real quick, okay yes this is correct.

Reive fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 26, 2012

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Reive posted:

Holding L while aiming with R you can strafe and shoot, but you can't aim while strafing, I'm assuming the add-on would put strafing on the left pad and aiming on the right.
Edit: let me fact check real quick, okay yes this is correct.

Ah, that makes sense. At least they mapped those actions to the shoulder buttons, since I just got a second look at the Circle Pad Pro and that thing looks unwieldy. Buying a 3DS with a right stick built in seems like the most necessary reason to upgrade a handheld since the Gameboy Advance SP's backlight.

In more relevant news, Wired just posted their RE: Revelations review. It's track record is looking pretty good so far. Which is nice since February seems like a pretty dry month for games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you have big hands the Pro makes the 3DS significantly more comfortable to hold.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Stupid Australia day! I got allocated a copy of Revelations today, meaning I could have had it by friday and played it all weekend! Guess I have to wait until Monday.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Policenaut posted:

You can move and shoot using Type C controls without the second stick.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Wanderer posted:

For some reason, all of the UK people call it "Resi." I used to do a lot of writing for OXM UK and NGamer back in the day and it drove me up the wall.

I don't do that so at least one UK person doesn't. The UK games press does seem to excel at creating names that drive people up the loving wall though, Mazza for Mario was the worst I think but the way we pronounce SNES seems to really annoy people as well.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
RE6 is the biggest Capcom project ever, 600 people involved

I guess I'm still kind of surprised to think of RE as Capcom's flagship. Megaman is dead but he's always sprung to mind along with Street Fighter, but I guess times have changed. Or rather, I guess I just can't get out of the mentality of 1996.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Electromax posted:

I guess I'm still kind of surprised to think of RE as Capcom's flagship. Megaman is dead but he's always sprung to mind along with Street Fighter, but I guess times have changed. Or rather, I guess I just can't get out of the mentality of 1996.

What exactly would 600 people do on a Megaman game?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

What exactly would 600 people do on a Megaman game?

550 playtesters, 50 developers.

EDIT: This is kinda like Blizzard's numbers for development, they have like 300 people on a game for 5 years.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
UK Goon here, we all call it Resi :colbert:

That Eurogamer review's got me really interested in trying out Raid mode in RE:R. I never really liked Mercenaries, so I've not been paying much attention to it, but they make it sound like it was the highlight of the game for them.

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011
Hahaha.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Bloody Disgusting has some screenshots of the trailer that show off a melee weapon/counterattack, plus a gigantic monster in Chris' section that's big enough to trash a whole building: http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/videogames/2219/

Did anyone else notice that some of the monsters seem to have a mechanical aspect to them? There's the Leatherface thing chasing the merc with a syringe-tipped claw, and another massive guy in the merc/Chris section that seems to have a huge chaingun mounted on his wrist. Very Doom-esque.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Shut up and JAM! posted:

Hahaha.

EDIT: Nevermind, I See the typo. That's shameful.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Drakenel posted:

EDIT: Nevermind, I See the typo. That's shameful.

I bet all their proofreaders have hair that covers both of their eyes.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Vakal posted:

I bet all their proofreaders have hair that covers both of their eyes.

Sometimes I really wonder if the translators of these games are in the process of taking ESL classes and they have a single editor who shows up to work wasted or something.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Capcom: Resident Evil Revelations now $39.99

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I think you mean Resident Evil: Revelaitons.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

DrNutt posted:

I think you mean Resident Evil: Revelaitons.

They were able to lower production costs by firing their copyeditors.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Now I have to buy a copy of Revelaitons before they fix the spine. I see your plan, Capcom! :argh:

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Policenaut posted:

I think the Spec Ops dudes are the villains of ORC. Like I know that's kinda funny to say when the protagonists of the game are cop killing corporate thugs but that's what's going on I believe.

They're just giving fans what they want: More Hunk than they can handle.

Electromax posted:

RE6 is the biggest Capcom project ever, 600 people involved

RE has been a flagship series for Capcom for years. The game had a bit of a lull, no question, but once RE4 came out, Capcom has been taking the series pretty drat seriously.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 28, 2012

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
On the EU side of things, does anyone else's copy of Revelations look kinda cheaply printed? I got the CPP bundle if that makes any difference, but the boxart looks like it's come off a lower-quality printer than usual or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Since February is looking rather thin for games I may as well get back into the Resident Evil series. I've always wanted to play through all the good games, but only managed to beat 4 and 5. I have most of them lying around somewhere, but I wanted to ask you guys what order I should play them in. I'm thinking:

1. Resident Evil remake
2. Resident Evil 2
3. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Resident Evil 5

Where does Code Veronica and 0 come in? Are there any others that I don't know about that are worth playing? And are there any remakes on 2 and 3 I'm not aware about? It's going to be a little weird going from the GC version of 1 to the PSX versions of 2 and 3.