Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Oh yeah, I was wondering if I should play with a controller or with a mouse. I was thinking mouse, since I'm used to mouse aiming, but I was wondering how the game would handle it, so knowing that helps. What I think worries me is how the QTEs are mapped to the keyboard, which is why I wondered if a controller would be better.

I think back when I first tried playing RE4 on the Wii, I believe went with the Red9, but I don't recall why. I don't have the best recollection of RE4 (I never finished it), but when I get to the point where I get the choice, I'll post about it.

The button mashing QTEs can certainly be annoying on a keyboard but I only remember a couple that might an actual problem re: not being able to mash fast enough. I don’t remember how/it it handles switching between controls. If you you can just pick one at will that would be ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Max Wilco posted:

Is there anything I should know about RE4 going into it? I'm playing the Steam version, so I don't know if it needs a patch or mod or something.

amigolupus posted:

- Shooting mooks on the head or shin stuns them and you can run forward to do a special melee move

This should be very much emphasized if it's new to you. It took me way too long to realize, but the gameplay is 100% designed around you constantly kneecapping folks and running in to do a melee move that also staggers other enemies for a second. Follow up with knife slashes if you have time. The game is tougher and you'll use a ton more ammo if you use guns too exclusively.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

the new and improved Albert Wesker:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Idunno, I can't see it.

Ah. There we go.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That's the weird one with even more Wesker kids that is basically trying to copy the movies right?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Necrothatcher posted:

Pretty clever way to get around not being able to find anyone with sufficiently yellow hair to play Wesker.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
He's got the presence but I really need to hear some lines. :allears: Is the series going full wacky, half, none? It'll be crystal clear for the first Wesker scene, won't it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kibayasu posted:

That's the weird one with even more Wesker kids that is basically trying to copy the movies right?

Given that the RE movies are mankind's greatest mortal sin, I dunno why anyone would want to do this

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 11, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Doomykins posted:

He's got the presence but I really need to hear some lines. :allears: Is the series going full wacky, half, none? It'll be crystal clear for the first Wesker scene, won't it.

It’s about Wesker’s teenage children coming to Raccoon City and presumably discover their father’s evil secrets (the evil secrets are zombies).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

I think that’s a different one. And there’s also the movie coming out. A live action and the CG one. Turns out there’s a real demand for Resident Evil media?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Doomykins posted:

If you want someone to spout absolute gibberish while sounding totally serious and impressive, Lance is your guy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Halloween Jack posted:

If you want someone to spout absolute gibberish while sounding totally serious and impressive, Lance is your guy.
Yeah, I'm definitely on board with him. Not sure about anything else, but I think he'd work for any degree of (Resident Evil) seriousness.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

He's also one of those folks where my mind can instantly imagine his voice reading any line. "Complete global saturation."

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lance Reddick kicks rear end

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
(very seriously, to Chris) "Son, people were covered in rivers of your glue."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Reddick has already played a ridiculous Wesker style villain in The Guest, which is a low-key spoof of the MCU. The director said he thought of it after watching Halloween and The Terminator back to back, but there's a point in the movie where it abruptly cuts from the suburban scene it's been developing to an Evil Corporate Military Base where everything is made of stainless steel, the corporate logo is on every door and wall, and faceless stormtroopers march around doing nothing.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Lance is a god

So with that in mind he’s a great choice

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Given that the RE movies are mankind's greatest mortal sin, I dunno why anyone world want to do this

I love how they just sorta lift whatever they want from the games and jam it in somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J58VPpPrmQU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lol

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

William Bear posted:

Ethan is far more polite than me. After the prayer, I would have asked, "So what religion are you guys?"

Not a good idea, when you're trapped in a house with an obvious cult don't ask questions just smile and nod as you plot your escape and make a break for it ASAP.

They're going to be looking for a heretic to sacrifice sooner rather than later.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

amigolupus posted:

I think the reason is that Rebecca was just sensible enough to not spend her entire life fighting the undead and instead chose to pursue a career as a medical researcher and professor. Considering how we've seen Chris getting more and more worn down as the series goes on, I can't say I blame Rebecca for her decision.

The fun thing about the musical stage play is that it took place before RE6, so you got Chris and Piers showing up to help put down the virus outbreak with their sick dance moves. It also has a flashback section showing Chris and Rebecca teaming up during the events of RE1. :allears:

Oh, I didn't know the stage play was available to watch online. Might have to check that out at some point.

-

So instead of starting RE4 tonight, I instead tried to play RE Survivor using the patch/hack to restore light gun support. I've never tried it with the regular controls, but the lightgun controls (at least via emulation) don't seem that great.

Movement is done by pointing the reticle off the screen and firing: once to walk, again while walking to run, and twice to walk backwards. The way it was mapped for me, the left turn was mapped to the right mouse button, and left turn was mapped to the middle mouse (effectively making them reversed). I might have had an easier time if I knew out how to remap it to the keyboard.

I didn't get very far. I got to the prison where you find the shotgun, and then got killed by a Hunter. I had continues, but I decided to give up. Apparently you can load a saved game, but I didn't run across any typewriters (unless the game auto-saves).

If you're interested in giving it a shot, you can get the light gun patch here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4196/

I'll start RE4 tomorrow, provided my second vaccine shot doesn't knock me out.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Necrothatcher posted:

"I Wish I was Chris Redfield!"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Reddick is enough of a cartoony ham to work as Wesker. I can totally buy him in the role.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lance Reddick already pretty much has been Wesker as Martin Hatch of Quantum Break so I fully trust that he will be able to pull off that type of character. Wesker is white historically but so what, the Resident Evil games are also good historically so its not like the movies are following their lead to begin with.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Lance Reddick already pretty much has been Wesker as Martin Hatch of Quantum Break so I fully trust that he will be able to pull off that type of character. Wesker is white historically but so what, the Resident Evil games are also good historically so its not like the movies are following their lead to begin with.

I *knew* there was something videogamey I was forgetting, all I could think of was Horizon Zero Dawn, which he's fine in but not bonkers.

Also looking that up, I only just now realized we've all been taking about an actual casting choice rather than someone's hypothetical idea :dumb::hf::woop:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I always thought Julian Sands would be a good Wesker.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I played up to the dock in the first chapter RE4 (specifically the dock with the fish trick. You know what I'm talking about.)

The game controls pretty well with mouse-and-keyboard, though maybe not as well as I'd like. I remembered to set the aiming to 'Modern', though the 'issue' I have is that Leon's aim shakes a bit, which can cause you to whiff shots (which in turn, makes me think that maybe that was why I missed shots back when I played the Wii version.)

Movement is still a bit of an issue for me, though I'm getting the hang of it. Even though you can aim freely, it's still the RE tank controls, which makes trying to aim around corners a little frustrating since you can't strafe. You also can't move and shoot at the same time, but I knew that going in.

I've died a few times (though instead of retrying, I just loaded a save). Following the advice I got, I try to go for headshot, run up, and then do a kick. From there, I try to knife the downed enemy to conserve ammo. Against a couple of lone enemies, it works fine, but if there's a big group, it gets sketchy. Sometimes I won't get a headshot, and rush in, where I realize the enemy has already recovered. I try to knife or shoot them in a panic, but in the case of the knife, the distance is sometimes too short, so I get a pitchfork to the face or something. I'm worried about later in the game, when you have to go up against other enemies apart from the villagers.

Don't really know how I'm doing in terms of items. It's nice that enemies will drop stuff, though I'm not exactly overflowing with healing items, which makes me think I'm playing poorly. Eggs seems to do pretty good in terms in terms of healing (at least with the starting health pool), and you find a lot of them. Handgun ammo is pretty plentiful, which is nice, since you need it to get some of the out-of-reach treasures.

Speaking of I've been referring to a guide so I can try and find the rarer treasures, so I can afford to buy stuff from the shopkeeper. I've bought one upgrade for the pistol (which ended up being pointless, since I did the medallion quest, got the Punisher, and then sold the handgun), the treasure map for the village, the rifle, and the expanded storage box (Attache Case M).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Necrothatcher posted:

As long has he wears sunglasses he'll be great.

90% of being Albert Wesker is wearing sunglasses, the other 10% is making bad choices that get you killed but not actually dying because of increasingly contrived reasons.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

CJacobs posted:

Wesker is white historically

probably not after his run in with that volcano

E. Which by the way, the fact they added an rpg on to the end of that scene was lol

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

1redflag posted:

probably not after his run in with that volcano

E. Which by the way, the fact they added an rpg on to the end of that scene was lol

Which was fired by Sheva, even though Chris takes the credit for killing Wesker!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Disco Pope posted:

Which was fired by Sheva, even though Chris takes the credit for killing Wesker!

Both Chris and Sheva get RPGs. Literally two RPGs are fired at Wesker, who is slowly sinking into lava.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just realized this casting means there's a non-negligible chance we get Cat Eyes Lance Reddick and I'm even more on board

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

Don't really know how I'm doing in terms of items. It's nice that enemies will drop stuff, though I'm not exactly overflowing with healing items, which makes me think I'm playing poorly. Eggs seems to do pretty good in terms in terms of healing (at least with the starting health pool), and you find a lot of them. Handgun ammo is pretty plentiful, which is nice, since you need it to get some of the out-of-reach treasures.

RE4 is merciful where as long as you have 0-1 healing items, the Merchant will always have two first-aid sprays on stock. So you can buy two sprays, use one to heal up and then buy a replacement.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When I play RE 4 I'm always a professional.

Professional hoarder

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Given the premise of the show I think the problem is going to be that Reddick isn’t going to actually be told to act like Wesker.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I mean wesker’s whiteness and game background is literally out of an eugenics playbook and you know what I think we can do without it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Am I doing it right?

Also I picked the Red9, since A.) it sounds like it's more powerful in the long run than the Blacktail, and B.) it's the first new pistol you get access to, apart from the Punisher.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Am I doing it right?

Every adaptation should have the protagonist go "hang on a sec" and pause to rearrange their briefcase to a similar level of sorting

e: also yes, the Red 9 is doing it right

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You clearly have two stacks of rifle ammo separate from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Remembered this comic while playing, and reading I realized, "Oh yeah, I don't have the TMP either. Why don't I just sell the ammo for it?"

Kibayasu posted:

You clearly have two stacks of rifle ammo separate from each other.

poo poo, I'm really doing bad.

In my defense, I think that rifle ammo was just something that was auto-placed when I picked it up, and I didn't notice it when I took the screenshot

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 13, 2021