Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Too good to languish at the bottom of the page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
"Agent Mason, our data indicates that there are as many as 9 towns in that area that use the name Silent Hill, and they've all been experiencing these incidents. You'll have to climb the siren towers when you get close to add them to your map so you can locate the source of the disturbance... maybe you can find some materials around to help you craft supplies. Good luck, Heather."

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Wasn’t Kojima originally going to make Silent Hills? That would make more sense giving the spacing of the letters

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I believe the Silent Hill thing, Konami have gone for exactly that idea bin the past. Recall the Phantom Pain trailer that unveiled the real title of MGSV, and how the way the letters in 'phantom pain' are cut in by 'metal gear solid v' was actually there all along even in the original logo and people noticed. They even revealed it exactly the same way at the GDC trailer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SkeletonHero posted:

That's not Pyramid Head, that's the knockoff from Homecoming.

So what we're getting is a remake of Homecoming (which was already touted as SH5).

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'd rather just not have another Silent Hill at this point from weird, sad Konami.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Disco Pope posted:

I'd rather just not have another Silent Hill at this point from weird, sad Konami.

I feel this way about the Dead Space rumor circulating. I don't really want a Dead Space game if it's not by Visceral or their affiliates. EA proved they have absolutely no ability to handle the series when they even asserted partial control over it after two and three quarters games of not. Same with Silent Hill, hey Konami just leave it in the grave or give it to someone else because I straight up don't want it to be from you after what you did to the series.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

id rather not have another silent hill period because silent hill as a concept is p tapped out and i dont want to play another lovely knockoff of silent hill 2, which it would inevitably be

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm totally down for a new Silent Hill release.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I feel this way about the Dead Space rumor circulating. I don't really want a Dead Space game if it's not by Visceral or their affiliates. EA proved they have absolutely no ability to handle the series when they even asserted partial control over it after two and three quarters games of not. Same with Silent Hill, hey Konami just leave it in the grave or give it to someone else because I straight up don't want it to be from you after what you did to the series.

Silent Hill I can understand but Dead Space isn't really so unique a concept another studio can't handle it well. Visceral Games didn't even have a particularly stellar track record before DS. and Dead Space Itself was "What if Resident Evil 4 but in Aliens and instead of melee you just cut the limbs off when you shoot them." I mean I still liked it a lot but it isn't quite as "no other studio can possible handle this well" as some other revivals.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

Silent Hill I can understand but Dead Space isn't really so unique a concept another studio can't handle it well. Visceral Games didn't even have a particularly stellar track record before DS. and Dead Space Itself was "What if Resident Evil 4 but in Aliens and instead of melee you just cut the limbs off when you shoot them." I mean I still liked it a lot but it isn't quite as "no other studio can possible handle this well" as some other revivals.

This says to me that you should have paid more attention to stuff besides the shooting of necromorphs. For example the architecture in all 3 games, even the uniform Event Horizon ship of the first, followed a specific design bible they stuck to hard. Check out how almost every single object, texture, and surface of these rooms including usually the shape of the room you're standing in has that sloped cut-in surface on it. Every room in all 3 games is like this. In Dead Space 2 and 3 you can look out and see that normal high rise apartments have these cut-ins. The toilet paper in bathrooms has a corner folded over because some dev thought it'd be funny to give the toilet paper a dead space greeble. An EA led Dead Space may be a good iteration of the formula, by a soulless corporation that doesn't give a poo poo about making a fun world with unique design quirks.

edit: Also imo the limb chopping is really cool when you think a bit harder about why shooting them in the body doesn't work. Dead Space goes on and on about 'cut off their limbs' but the real clever part imo is they let you figure out why you have to do that even though it's in the bottom left corner the whole game. The RIG is a ubiquitous piece of technology, of course you can't shoot zombies in the body to cut them apart, everyone in the galaxy has a big metal pole in their spine. That's why the baby enemy's projectile IS its vertebrae, because they don't have a RIG.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 22, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

This says to me that you should have paid more attention to stuff besides the shooting of necromorphs. For example the architecture in all 3 games, even the uniform Event Horizon ship of the first, followed a specific design bible they stuck to hard. Check out how almost every single object, texture, and surface of these rooms including usually the shape of the room you're standing in has that sloped cut-in surface on it. Every room in all 3 games is like this. The toilet paper in bathrooms has a corner folded over because some dev thought it'd be funny to give the toilet paper a dead space greeble. An EA led Dead Space may be a good iteration of the formula, by a soulless corporation that doesn't give a poo poo about making a fun world with unique design quirks.

edit: Also imo the limb chopping is really cool when you think a bit harder about why shooting them in the body doesn't work. Dead Space goes on and on about 'cut off their limbs' but the real clever part imo is they let you figure out why you have to do that even though it's in the bottom left corner the whole game. The RIG is a ubiquitous piece of technology, of course you can't shoot zombies in the body to cut them apart, everyone in the galaxy has a big metal pole in their spine.

Almost every game follows a strict design bible. How well it does depends on the studio but that's kind of a basic part of game design. They nailed the aesthetic they were going for but the aesthetic they were going for was "Literally Event Horizon Plus Aliens" to the point they have direct areas that are ripped off/homaged from both. That isn't a bad thing because they knew what they were doing but it is once again not something another studio can't do well.

EA is a lovely company but that does not mean it is impossible for their studios to put out something that shows effort and detail. A recent example is Star Wars: Fallen Order which has a ton of nice little touches, like each lightsaber crystal having its own distinct sound effect or a secret pet you can find for your ship.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

Almost every game follows a strict design bible. How well it does depends on the studio but that's kind of a basic part of game design. They nailed the aesthetic they were going for but the aesthetic they were going for was "Literally Event Horizon Plus Aliens" to the point they have direct areas that are ripped off/homaged from both. That isn't a bad thing because they knew what they were doing but it is once again not something another studio can't do well.

EA is a lovely company but that does not mean it is impossible for their studios to put out something that shows effort and detail. A recent example is Star Wars: Fallen Order which has a ton of nice little touches, like each lightsaber crystal having its own distinct sound effect or a secret pet you can find for your ship.

You're correct, Dead Space 3 is a very good game in spite of EA trying actively to ruin it by trend chasing and pushing microtransactions and mass appeal, a thing which is very well documented. They can't handle Dead Space and they proved it a decade ago, Remedy can have it instead. Visceral worked under EA to make like 5 really good Dead Space games, then EA decided they wanted to make a Dead Space game and their half of it sucks rear end.

edit: Not that this has anything to do with RE really, if anything it was recently saved from that fate. RE8 being so cohesive despite the massive swaths of stuff left on the cutting room floor is a marvel.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 22, 2021

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Wasn't the whole Silent Hill reveal thing just for the skateboards?

https://www.destructoid.com/silent-hill-skateboard-pre-order/

And speaking of...

https://twitter.com/luulubuu/status/1407089964580495364?s=20

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
First person to lose both hands in a skating accident.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

0 rows returned posted:

id rather not have another silent hill period because silent hill as a concept is p tapped out and i dont want to play another lovely knockoff of silent hill 2, which it would inevitably be

Oh you mean literally hundreds of indie horror games littering the market that all took "Silent Hill 2 was great" and have been ripping it of off and it's ending twist for a while now?

Because lemme tell you, I've made the mistake of picking up enough low budget horror games that after 15 minutes I called the ending because they were ripping off SH2 that it's put me off picking up smaller horror games that look kinda neat.

Honestly at this point I'd be fine with a proper RE2Make take on the original Silent Hill. No Shattered Memories doesn't count :colbert:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Shattered Memories is pretty great and I wish more games were just no-combat atmospheric investigations with the occasional chase sequence.

Plus you can call it ShatMems for short.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Silent Hill as a series is way overdue for a proper reboot that I'm not sure will come. I sometimes think about what new tech could be used for fresh takes on the horror it attempted.

Also ShatMems was good. :colbert:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I've never looked into it but I think I am going to try to get a mouse and keyboard working with my PS4 for village of shadows. I don't want to do it with infinite ammo to carry me, and Chris's section on Hardcore almost broke me with the laser part. I'm confident I'll be able to do it with better control over my aim. Anyone here have experience with m+kb on PS4? Will the game even accept inputs?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ImpAtom posted:

I'd be okay if Dead Space itself stayed in limbo, less money going into Warren Ellis' pocket the better.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm less interested in a Dead Space revival since the OG director/creator left EA and is making a spiritual followup elsewhere. After how they tried to cram tons of other poo poo into their Mirror's Edge reboot (needlessly open world, tons of worthless trinkets, incredibly dumb "social" aspects) I woudn't trust EA with anything ever, and that goes for the Dragon Age 4 game being made without most of the core series team.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'd be okay if Dead Space itself stayed in limbo, less money going into Warren Ellis' pocket the better.

He only co-wrote the first one, and video game writers don't get royalties.

Personally, my biggest resistance to the return of Dead Space is that every game in the series is about overcoming a progressively greater threat at an increasingly larger personal cost to Isaac, only for the next game to throw all that down the closest chute in the name of "gently caress you, things got worse." It's one of the more successful iterations on RE4 out there, but it's a little too dark for darkness's sake.

It's a similar problem to what I had with Leon and Chris's campaigns in RE6; video game narrative very much runs off of its sense of ersatz accomplishment, so stories about pyrrhic victories and wasted time tend to hit a lot harder than they would in any other medium. It'd be one thing if the core Dead Space franchise was built around an inescapable disaster that you were simply trying to survive, so your continued existence was the primary goal, but Isaac's repeated futile attempts to do something about the Markers is like Lucy with the football.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I half agree. Isaac dismantles the first two big marker problems successfully and destroys an elder god. The problem and where I agree with you is that the bleakness of the series outpaces this.

In particular I can't think of any way to get around the current canonical ending to the DS3 DLC. It's over. Humanity is eaten. It's not a great ending but it's actually on tone and works. Reminds me of my biggest tonal problem with Mass Effect 3: it's over, the Reapers are 99% invulnerable in conventional combat. They should bowl over any "resistance" without delay.

Really makes me appreciate Resident Evil's secret optimism like was said pages ago in this thread.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Figured out a script to decompress the GC assets for RE0 because I was surprised there was no dump of the BGs yet like there was for the others. The reason is because the detail is insane! There are 60 animation frames for most backgrounds in the game. Flickering lights, shaking train cars, everything. Too bad this beauty is tied to a fairly unfun game.

Imgur converts my GIFs to MP4s so I don't know how to embed them but some examples:
https://imgur.com/os9Virl
https://imgur.com/a/DYcvTxB
https://imgur.com/svhgirt

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Doomykins posted:

I half agree. Isaac dismantles the first two big marker problems successfully and destroys an elder god. The problem and where I agree with you is that the bleakness of the series outpaces this.

In particular I can't think of any way to get around the current canonical ending to the DS3 DLC. It's over. Humanity is eaten. It's not a great ending but it's actually on tone and works. Reminds me of my biggest tonal problem with Mass Effect 3: it's over, the Reapers are 99% invulnerable in conventional combat. They should bowl over any "resistance" without delay.

Really makes me appreciate Resident Evil's secret optimism like was said pages ago in this thread.

There's an article on Eurogamer about how the plan for DS4 was to follow someone else, possibly Ellie, as they cling to survival on the outskirts of what was once human-settled space. I could just about see that working, as long as there was some sense of progression involved.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Doomykins posted:

I mean, they're gigantic moons, and humanity literally has planet-cracking technology. They break open stellar bodies for their juicy nougat cores all the time.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Sure and the other aliens froze one but you arrive when the moons are already scraping the planet with continent sized tentacles. Unless the fleet warps in and the moons are nice enough to not interfere with a planet cracker there isn't a fight. :laugh:

Wanderer posted:

There's an article on Eurogamer about how the plan for DS4 was to follow someone else, possibly Ellie, as they cling to survival on the outskirts of what was once human-settled space. I could just about see that working, as long as there was some sense of progression involved.

That's a pretty good approach. Recovering during/after the end would be very on point for the tone and allow a story to exist at all. The progression could be somehow blocking the return of the moons/marker energy, of course involving fighting through necros to break some sealing markers or something.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I played through the Trail Derailment chapter of Umbrella Chronicles. So far, I don't know what to make of the game. One of my biggest complaints is that the QTEs that require you to shake the controller don't seem to work half the time. Now granted, I'm not playing it on real hardware, but outside of QTEs, I can 'shake' the controller, and it reloads just fine. I can figure out if it's that you have to shake the moment it appears, or it has to be registering a shake in a specific window.

I learned that you score critical shots by hitting zombies in the forehead, but doing that isn't as easy as I thought. Sometimes I'll do okay and get a slew of critical hits, but other times I'll hit another part of the head, causing the zombie's head to twist away. It's especially annoying with Crimson Heads, who rush you. Special weapons don't seem to score critical hits, or at least I couldn't manage one with the SMG (then again, maybe it's because the zombie's head has to come back to completely neutral to score a critical).

It could be that the 60FPS code is causing issues. During the section where the leech boss is climbing the elevator shaft, I could not reliably score hits on its mouth (where you need to shoot it to stun it) because of how fast it flips around. Another thing is that bats seem to approach faster than when I tried it without the code. Have to experiment with it.

The first real wall that I hit was with Beginnings Part 2 (the RE0 sections with Wesker). You have to fight Ivan (I think it's Ivan? It's the Tyrant looking boss with a white robe, and sunglasses that look like they were stolen from 2000s techno club), and I had to restart the level, because I could not beat that fight without a first-aid spray. The SMG was good for laying shots into him, and I managed to stop about half his attacks, but the other half I either didn't score hits in the right place, or I couldn't pass the QTEs. When I restarted, I used the Grenade Launcher AT (with a single upgrade) in combo with the rocket launcher you get during the fight to finally take him down.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Beat Hardcore mode on NG+ and jumped into Village of Shadows immediately. The opening attack is pretty easy as long as you loop around the houses and the basement.

Then I got killed by a random lycan in the next part because I didn't expect there to be any enemies. I heard the Heisenberg fight is some major bs on VoS (it was pretty easy on hardcore).

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

Then I got killed by a random lycan in the next part because I didn't expect there to be any enemies. I heard the Heisenberg fight is some major bs on VoS (it was pretty easy on hardcore).
i didn't come close to dying to Heisenberg on anything but VoS, where I died about 30 times. You can only be hit a couple of times and it takes a lot of very accurate weak spot shooting to avoid being hit.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

WaltherFeng posted:

I heard the Heisenberg fight is some major bs on VoS (it was pretty easy on hardcore).

Eh. I'd guess most people tripped up by that section jumped into VoS from normal difficulty, and/or got complacent cheesing everything with the infinite magnum.

It'll take a few attempts, but same idea as hardcore: he needs reach to hurt you, but you're free to chip away at his sweet spots from afar.

Just double down on that defensive run and run (well, ride and gun). Keep distence. Use your surroundings. Always be gunning. Save those rocket shots for when you really need the emergency distence.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Doomykins posted:

In particular I can't think of any way to get around the current canonical ending to the DS3 DLC. It's over. Humanity is eaten.

It Was A Hallucination.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
We Were The Parasites All Along

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Eh. I'd guess most people tripped up by that section jumped into VoS from normal difficulty, and/or got complacent cheesing everything with the infinite magnum.

It'll take a few attempts, but same idea as hardcore: he needs reach to hurt you, but you're free to chip away at his sweet spots from afar.

Just double down on that defensive run and run (well, ride and gun). Keep distence. Use your surroundings. Always be gunning. Save those rocket shots for when you really need the emergency distence.

I'm not 100% sure, but it feels like he's either faster or the rocket takes longer to recharge. Either way, it feels much more claustrophobic. I had a horrible time with him but eventually one time it just clicked and I got it.

For Chris' run after that, don't make the same mistake as me - Just run past as many enemies as possible while grabbing all the supply drops. Urias Strajer wasn't too bad, but I would have probably beat it much faster with an extra med injector.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I really liked Shattered Memories too. People largely seemed to poo poo on it for being very investigative focused as opposed to shooting monsters, which...that was always the very worst part of any Silent Hill game. When you go heavy on combat in Silent Hill, you end up with something like Downpour

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have to admit, I enjoyed Silent Hill 3 a lot because the gameplay wasn't terrible. It's downright painful in SH1 and only tolerable in SH2. I think SH4 is a really well-done game, but I could not get past the bad design of weapon degradation, and that I just really didn't like the monster designs very much. Part of what makes SH2 work is that the non-boss monsters seem like awkward automotons.

I've been so busy I haven't had any time to do Chris' mission in RE7. I wanna punch monsters!

It's curious to me that the first all-melee gameplay in RE is in a DLC for the game that took the series in an unprecedented grungy, rural, grindhouse horror direction.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

It's curious to me that the first all-melee gameplay in RE is in a DLC for the game that took the series in an unprecedented grungy, rural, grindhouse horror direction.

wrasslin'

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Well RE6 had Jake who had a full Wesker style moveset. You could easily punch things dead without using other weapons.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I still need to play RE6. Everyone says the story is bad but LOL Resident Evil. I never really got into RE until 4 and the melee stuff is my favourite part.

Edit: The only thing I don't like about Mercenaries is that it's time based. I hate time limits in games. Metroid gets a pass.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
RE6 Mercenaries owns yeah