Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

Ximum posted:

Good on you, this game is a ton of fun. I haven't got to play any of the expansions yet, but it really is Dominion with guns. Make sure you grab the errata online, though. There are several things that aren't made clear or just flat out wrong that it corrects.

Thanks for the tip, I'll do that today. I'll be sure to document anything particularly amusing that happens during our forays into the mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damegane
May 7, 2013

GoldenNugget posted:

The box picture makes it look like Chris is using the RPG like a bat.

Given the size of his muscles, a 7kg bat is probably just right for him.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

RocketDarkness posted:

Between Resident Evil 6 and Revelations, I've been on a pretty long RE kick. Ended up ordering a few of the Deck Building Game sets to try out with friends this weekend. We all love Dominion, so I'm sure this one will receive a warm welcome. Especially since it provides plenty of excuses to quip classic RE dialog at each other.

It's a bit of a linear game but I only played the Story mode. It could be better but it's a bit of fun especially if all the players are into RE. There's also like a ton of expansion packs too.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

poptart_fairy posted:

Just hit level 12 in Raid mode 9I know I know...) and man it's starting to hit me just how much stuff there is to do in Revelations. I much prefer Raid mode over Mercenaries (although I still want my attache case back!) and this leveling stuff is enormously compelling. Now to go shoot some more dudes with my golden AK-47. :getin:

You playing the PC version?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

ImpAtom posted:

Did you ever see Escape from New York? It is exactly that.

So you're saying I should keep an eye out for a copy, I gotcha.

Also one thing I never noticed in RE6 until I played without them is how reliant I am on the audio cues the game gives you. Hearing J'avo cackle maniacally before swinging is -really- helpful, and playing with music blaring in my ears instead of the game makes me take a lot more hits from off screen. Also are the last three stages in the PC version only available in No Mercy Mercenaries, or do I need to unlock them in normal Mercernaries to use in the DLC gamemodes?

Geight fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 30, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

PureRok posted:

You playing the PC version?

Yeah, Steam name's the same as here. :)

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

Geight posted:

So you're saying I should keep an eye out for a copy, I gotcha.

Also one thing I never noticed in RE6 until I played without them is how reliant I am on the audio cues the game gives you. Hearing J'avo cackle maniacally before swinging is -really- helpful, and playing with music blaring in my ears instead of the game makes me take a lot more hits from off screen. Also are the last three stages in the PC version only available in No Mercy Mercenaries, or do I need to unlock them in normal Mercernaries to use in the DLC gamemodes?

All the stages should be available in all game modes, but I think you can only select them if you and everyone you're playing with has unlocked them in Mercenaries (normal).

And yes, the audio in RE6 is amazingly helpful. I can't count how many times I've defended myself from the J'avo's fancy flippy sword strike just by hearing the "whoosh whoosh whoosh" windup and then countering when I know the attack is about to land.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Well I have the levels available to me in No Mercy Mercenaries, but in other gamemodes the last three are red question marks, even if I'm playing solo. I'll try beating Requiem for War in normal Mercenaries to see if that unlocks the next stage.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, Steam name's the same as here. :)

Cool. Sent you a friend invite. Maybe we can get some Raid mode going.

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

Geight posted:

Well I have the levels available to me in No Mercy Mercenaries, but in other gamemodes the last three are red question marks, even if I'm playing solo. I'll try beating Requiem for War in normal Mercenaries to see if that unlocks the next stage.

No Mercy has a separate stage list, for whatever reason. Its unlock status is separate from all the other modes.

Also added you, Poptart. I just barely hit level 15. The leveling up feels much slower compared to the 3DS original; not sure if it's my imagination or if they retarded the growth rate.

RocketDarkness fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 30, 2013

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

What the hell, why is normal Mercenaries hard all of a sudden? I went in figuring the biggest challenge would be the anemic tide of enemies would make it hard to keep a combo up but I'm just getting thrashed. I don't know if it's because I'm already out of the RE6 groove or if Requiem for War is just legitimately hard. Maybe I should switch out Martial Arts Master for Item Drop Increase?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Geight posted:

What the hell, why is normal Mercenaries hard all of a sudden? I went in figuring the biggest challenge would be the anemic tide of enemies would make it hard to keep a combo up but I'm just getting thrashed. I don't know if it's because I'm already out of the RE6 groove or if Requiem for War is just legitimately hard. Maybe I should switch out Martial Arts Master for Item Drop Increase?

Enemies in normal Mercenaries have more health. They probably do more damage as well. I'm pretty sure it's to balance for the fact that there are less of them.

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

Geight posted:

Requiem has a few tricky enemy sets that can fudge up a good run, most notably the Ogromans and the 3x Rocket spawns. If you need help later today, I can probably join you and help out. Always love playing Mercs!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

RocketDarkness posted:

Between Resident Evil 6 and Revelations, I've been on a pretty long RE kick. Ended up ordering a few of the Deck Building Game sets to try out with friends this weekend. We all love Dominion, so I'm sure this one will receive a warm welcome. Especially since it provides plenty of excuses to quip classic RE dialog at each other.

my friend got me that for Christmas a few years ago, it took a couple read-throughs to actually understand what the rules were but as a big RE fan, I caught on pretty quickly and it is a great way to waste and evening, especially once I got Alliance, which allows "Co-op play"

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

PureRok posted:

Enemies in normal Mercenaries have more health. They probably do more damage as well. I'm pretty sure it's to balance for the fact that there are less of them.

Really? I thought they had less. The skills probably throw off the health count, but I've always thought it was "Weaker enemies, but there are way more of them than you'd find in an entire campaign chapter". Even in the bloodiest chapters, you'd struggle to hit 100 enemies killed.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

PureRok posted:

They don't, it all depends on the stage and how you're handling it. Also, dynamic difficulty starts to apply as your kill counter goes up, with 120 enemies being the last increment.

For Urban Chaos the zombies are a little tougher to reliably take down and won't do the overhead arm grab that, when countered with non 2-handed weapons, will blow their head off and you rely more on softening them up a bit with bullets and other things.

Mining the Depths zombies will exclusively try to do that overhead grab and you can get into a rhythm of just instant killing them one by one. The enemies don't gain more health as the stage goes on, they only do more damage at certain kill intervals.

Really though every stage has different behaviors for enemies and those are what you should be looking to exploit. Keep in mind using "'x' Mastery" lowers your damage with another form of combat and should generally be avoided. Stick with stuff like Power Counter and Pharmacist for regular sessions, and even then, power counter is mostly unnecessary when you learn how many bullets it takes to weaken zombies enough that your counter will kill them if you're the reflex kind of player.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 31, 2013

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
How does RE6 handle dynamic difficulty? Is it like RE4 and if you're doing well, the game is harder and drops are more infrequent, and if you're doing badly it gets easier?

And Power Counter is the best way to take out zombies in one hit. A Power Counter counter on a normal zombie will always kill it. Firefighter zombies are a little hardier, but a weapon counter will also always kill them. With J'avo you always have to pump a few bullets into them, then counter for an easy kill.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Sylphid posted:

How does RE6 handle dynamic difficulty? Is it like RE4 and if you're doing well, the game is harder and drops are more infrequent, and if you're doing badly it gets easier?

For RE5 and RE6 Campaigns, dynamic difficulty works like this:

1-3
4-6
7-9
15 (RE6)

When playing on Amateur, the difficulty goes from 1-3.
When playing on Normal, the difficulty goes from 4-6.
When playing on Veteran, the difficulty goes from 7-9.
When playing on Professional, the difficulty is always 10.
When playing on No Hope, the difficulty is always 15.

Basically it only does a few things. If you are doing really well (not taking hits mainly) then after a while you take a hit you WILL feel the pain. On the contrary, if you are taking a lot of hits it starts to get easier. Generally if you are doing badly on health and have no healing items, enemies suddenly have fertilizer equipped corpses (In RE5 mostly) and will drop tons of herbs for you.

It's not the case in Mercenaries. RE5 has no dynamic difficulty scaling in Mercenaries, it's all a solid challenge where mastery of enemy movements and your own skills is more important. For RE6, the Mercs has dynamic difficulty where enemies are only doing more damage as the kill counter reaches certain marks.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I remember a while ago reading some thing on Gamefaqs or something similar where someone translated everything the Ganado said in RE4, both in and out of cutscenes. I learned many Spanish curse words from that and it was kinda interesting besides. Did anyone ever do that for the Majini and/or J'avo (although I honestly can't tell if the J'avo are actually saying things or just screaming gibberish while getting mega-punched)?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Crowetron posted:

I remember a while ago reading some thing on Gamefaqs or something similar where someone translated everything the Ganado said in RE4, both in and out of cutscenes. I learned many Spanish curse words from that and it was kinda interesting besides. Did anyone ever do that for the Majini and/or J'avo (although I honestly can't tell if the J'avo are actually saying things or just screaming gibberish while getting mega-punched)?

Not that I've seen. It's a lot easier to find people who speak Spanish than Swahili, particularly since they're on the wrong side of the continent to be speaking Swahili in the first place. I've heard that some of the random phrases include "Burn them!" and "They're over there!" The guy with the megaphone in 1-2 in RE5 is apparently talking about how "Uroboros is a gift," so there's that.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Even if I'll never get a complete list of what they say it's nice that Capcom kept up the effort of using the real language of the area instead of just stuffing some gibberish in because nobody would call them on it. :unsmith:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Crowetron posted:

I've never seen a comprehensive list for RE6 but apparently the J'avo do say actual things. The ones in Edonia speak Serbian and the ones in Lanshiang speak Cantonese. From random posts their speech usually seems to boil down to rather generic taunts like "You can't hurt me" right before you spin kick their head clean off. Also a lot of people claiming they understand the language but then don't actually translate anything (because they don't really understand a word).

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Crowetron posted:

The Edonian J'avo speak Serbo-Croatian, which as someone with parents from Bosnia and can speak and understand Serbo-Croatian in a decent capacity was really awesome to listen to and know exactly what they're saying, so yeah they actually are saying things. Though a lot of what they say is just generic insults, throwing around things that translate to "I will break you!" "You can't do anything to me!" and my favorite "Eat poo poo and die!" which are really tame compared to a lot of the colorful insults and cursing I've heard native speakers use.

Edit: Can I also make not of how much I hate the way Chris mispronounces J'avo by adding an unnecessary u-sound after the j, which just reminds me that they felt the need to stylize Djavo and make it be pronounced differently because dj makes a j-sound while a j by itself makes a y-sound.

RageBeef fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 31, 2013

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

RageBeef posted:

The Edonian J'avo speak Serbo-Croatian, which as someone with parents from Bosnia and can speak and understand Serbo-Croatian in a decent capacity was really awesome to listen to and know exactly what they're saying, so yeah they actually are saying things. Though a lot of what they say is just generic insults, throwing around things that translate to "I will break you!" "You can't do anything to me!" and my favorite "Eat poo poo and die!" which are really tame compared to a lot of the colorful insults and cursing I've heard native speakers use.

Huh, that's interesting, even though I knew the J'avo were speaking a language instead of random gibberish. Also, good on Capcom to pay attention and make the Edonian J'avo and Lanshiang J'avo speak differently, even though it's the same generic enemy type.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
When I played RE4, having the enemies speak actual Spanish was specially creepy for me as a natural speaker. I guess Americans can say the same of Spec Ops the Line and the american forces you fight in that game.

"DETRAS DE TI, IMBECIL" :catstare:

VVV "Ahí". :colbert: But yeah, at least J'avo just taunt you. :v:

Azran fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 31, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Azran posted:

When I played RE4, having the enemies speak actual Spanish was specially creepy for me as a natural speaker. I guess Americans can say the same of Spec Ops the Line and the american forces you fight in that game.

"DETRAS DE TI, IMBECIL" :catstare:

Morir es vivir.

Hay esta...

MATALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

UN FORASTERO

It was really dumb how they announced their position when they got behind you.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Alteisen posted:

Morir es vivir.

Hay esta...

MATALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

UN FORASTERO

It was really dumb how they announced their position when they got behind you.

It was for the gameplay I guess. It was even dumber that they would come at you running and then suddenly slow down when they got within a few feet.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Lunethex posted:

They don't, it all depends on the stage and how you're handling it.

Well, they do since I was comparing them to Hardcore. Hardcore enemies die much faster than the Normal ones. So either health is different, or your damage has been adjusted. Same difference either way.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Thanks for the language answers, guys! I like J'avo even more now that I know they're an army of trash-talking spider-men. I'm going to assume that any that get the super smashy arm mutation are the ones that quote Drago, and punch their poo poo appropriately. :colbert:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

PureRok posted:

Well, they do since I was comparing them to Hardcore. Hardcore enemies die much faster than the Normal ones. So either health is different, or your damage has been adjusted. Same difference either way.

Hardcore? Am I missing something here? I don't have the PC version so I don't know what all is different from the console versions. This is RE6 we're talking about, right?

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

Lunethex posted:

Hardcore? Am I missing something here? I don't have the PC version so I don't know what all is different from the console versions. This is RE6 we're talking about, right?

Maybe he's talking about No Mercy? The enemies are significantly weaker in that mode.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Wow, Raid Mode is pretty fun! It's surprising to me; I don't like mercenaries that much in other games. Is there alternative costumes to unlock?

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

Fraction posted:

Wow, Raid Mode is pretty fun! It's surprising to me; I don't like mercenaries that much in other games. Is there alternative costumes to unlock?

Yep. Most of them are based on level and stage progression, but some of them are more complicated, like earning a Trinity bonus, getting all S-rank on certain difficulties, or dealing 100,000 damage in a single attack.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Having blitzed through Revelations campaign (PC) I have to say that the quality feels very uneven. Most of the ship bits were nice but the terragigra office hallways were awful.

Enemy design also felt a little off since almost every enemy was some grey colored blob, why not add some more color?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can daze Oozes by shooting both arms. This changes everything. :stare:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

poptart_fairy posted:

You can daze Oozes by shooting both arms. This changes everything. :stare:

Another fun thing. You can daze them with a pistol/SMG/whatever then if you blast the leech-thing hanging out their mouth with it's a guaranteed critical. Quickswap to your rifle or magnum and enjoy big orange numbers. On a venting tangent, gently caress those spike-shooting tricorn bastards. Ruining so many of my no-hit runs. :argh:

RocketDarkness posted:

dealing 100,000 damage in a single attack.

There's a bit of mis-printing on this one from various sources, it's definitely one attack, not against one enemy as I got mine lobbing a shock grenade into a swarm of those little fishy bastards on the emergency tunnel level.

I was pretty pumped when I unlocked Abyss and saw the boost items. Then I realized it's per weapon and not a universal boost. :downsgun: Not spending all that BP on lovely level 30 guns nosir.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

limited posted:

Another fun thing. You can daze them with a pistol/SMG/whatever then if you blast the leech-thing hanging out their mouth with it's a guaranteed critical. Quickswap to your rifle or magnum and enjoy big orange numbers. On a venting tangent, gently caress those spike-shooting tricorn bastards. Ruining so many of my no-hit runs. :argh:

For me it's the little pirahna fish dudes. I always end up getting swarmed and taking enough damage to deprive me of an S rank. :saddowns:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
For the bullet shooting oozes and fish just knife them. It stuns them and does a surprising amount of damage. Works well on dogs too.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Anyone know if there is a mod for the PC version of Revelations that puts back in the laser sight? I know RE5 had one as that game disabled it if you were using a mouse/kb. However Revelations has just removed it all together, even when using gamepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
I love the Serbian J'avo. For a gang of mutant insurgents, they have such jolly laughs. :allears:

Regarding the bit about Chris's political views (a bit late, I know) - I think he was supposed to be an ex-army drifter when Barry got him a job at the RCPD, and you could see a motorcycle jacket and bass guitar in his cubicle in the precinct. We know he's a bit of a drifter, so distrusting The System seems perfectly in character for him. Maybe that's how he'll wind up bonding with Jake - they'll just get drunk and complain about America.