Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ah, that'd be the problem. They're staggering but not stunned. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
I just finished RE 6 and wow, the plot was absolutely woeful. I remember putting together the stories from the earlier games through all the diary entries and notes as a kid, i recall there being a pretty neat, albeit ridiculous narrative to it. Did Capcom just stop giving a poo poo or am i being overly nostalgic in thinking that the series was anything other than terrible?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

If only Jake had suplexed that tank that busts in on him around his fifth chapter, that would have topped all the crazy that went into RE6.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

TheIllestVillain posted:

I just finished RE 6 and wow, the plot was absolutely woeful. I remember putting together the stories from the earlier games through all the diary entries and notes as a kid, i recall there being a pretty neat, albeit ridiculous narrative to it. Did Capcom just stop giving a poo poo or am i being overly nostalgic in thinking that the series was anything other than terrible?

The plot has always been pretty terrible. But RE6's story makes Resident Evil 1 look like a masterpiece. Half of the story is locked behind hidden files and even then a lot of it is conspiracy theory level crap.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
RE 6 is like a shotgun blast, all over the loving place with instadeath QTEs. RE 5 while nothing groundbreaking was a lot more focused, just Chris, Wesker and their lunatic obsessions. Oh and Sheva to witness that boulders were punched.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Capcom stopped giving a poo poo about the plot with the release of RE0, but I honestly feel like the series' campiness was always a strong point and I enjoy how shameless RE6 is about it.

Also RE6's QTEs felt way, way better than RE5's. Maybe it's because on the PC version of 5 the two possible combos were A+D (sensible) or F+V (:wtc:). RE6 had buttons in all the right places and the little timing circles so it was pretty rare to actually fail one.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

A mod for RE6 came out that definitely fixes all the problems with the game, because you see:

It added Chris's old hair back!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Fereydun posted:

A mod for RE6 came out that definitely fixes all the problems with the game, because you see:

It added Chris's old hair back!

Not quite, what about his massive biceps? How can he hope to take on China without those?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Geight posted:

Capcom stopped giving a poo poo about the plot with the release of RE0, but I honestly feel like the series' campiness was always a strong point and I enjoy how shameless RE6 is about it.

Also RE6's QTEs felt way, way better than RE5's. Maybe it's because on the PC version of 5 the two possible combos were A+D (sensible) or F+V (:wtc:). RE6 had buttons in all the right places and the little timing circles so it was pretty rare to actually fail one.

They had better be because there were gently caress loads of them. Ill take RE5 anyday over RE6.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.destructoid.com/the-resident-evil-gamecube-remake-didn-t-do-that-well-262611.phtml

Apparently Resident Evil became more of an action fest due to Remake not doing so well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That does explain a lot, honestly.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Alteisen posted:

http://www.destructoid.com/the-resident-evil-gamecube-remake-didn-t-do-that-well-262611.phtml

Apparently Resident Evil became more of an action fest due to Remake not doing so well.

That seems like a good number for a Gamecube only game, Capcom has weird expectations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

That seems like a good number for a Gamecube only game, Capcom has weird expectations.

They absolutely do. I believe they wanted DmC to originally sell 2,000,000, which is more than DMC1, 3 or 4 did despite the build up of that game being nothing but a mountain of disdain by their potential consumers saying they won't buy it and desperate attempts to salvage its reputation by slagging off people who actually supported the franchise up until that point. The game was being made by a company that hasn't had a massive selling game either. It took them a while to slash those estimates to 1.2 million, which I believe they took several months to reach, if at all. They're not a sensible bunch.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Aurain posted:

They absolutely do. I believe they wanted DmC to originally sell 2,000,000, which is more than DMC1, 3 or 4 did despite the build up of that game being nothing but a mountain of disdain by their potential consumers saying they won't buy it and desperate attempts to salvage its reputation by slagging off people who actually supported the franchise up until that point. The game was being made by a company that hasn't had a massive selling game either. It took them a while to slash those estimates to 1.2 million, which I believe they took several months to reach, if at all. They're not a sensible bunch.

didn't Capcom also have some stupid sort of estimate for dead rising 2 sales?

I can swear that somewhere reported that it made like 2.5 times its production costs back and Capcom was still dissatisfied because "it should have made 4.5 times its production costs! :bahgawd:" or something along those lines

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I heard over expectations when it comes to sales is pretty common with a lot of game developers/publishers and is one of the reasons why so many games don't get made that should.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PureRok posted:

I heard over expectations when it comes to sales is pretty common with a lot of game developers/publishers and is one of the reasons why so many games don't get made that should.

Square-Enix are certainly one of those. They believed 3,000,000 sales of the new Tomb Raider in the first month was underperforming.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Well I've got a copy of RE1 for the gamecube and holy poo poo. I can't even kill the first zombie. I don't remember having this much trouble on the ps1.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ethanol posted:

Well I've got a copy of RE1 for the gamecube and holy poo poo. I can't even kill the first zombie. I don't remember having this much trouble on the ps1.

The Remake is pretty drat hard. In fact, the game actually punishes you for recklessly killing zombies.

That being said, it is a great game, but it is hard for me to play because after being able to skip the door loading screens on the DS and PC, it makes me realize how much time is actually spent looking at those drat screens.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ethanol posted:

You're not supposed to kill the first zombie, and REmake is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY harder, you really need to converse ammo and ONLY kill the zombies in the areas where you'll be going through more than once, the rest you dodge.

If you went with Jill she also takes a lot more damage.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
As much as I love RE4 that's a shame to hear, REmake is awesome and I recommend it to anyone who asks. In fact I played RE4 first and then went back to REmake, and it was actually my first time playing RE1.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I'd go as far as to call REmake a survival horror masterpiece. It's old-skool tank-control horror at its absolute finest. It's a shame there isn't a market for that anymore.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

That being said, it is a great game, but it is hard for me to play because after being able to skip the door loading screens on the DS and PC, it makes me realize how much time is actually spent looking at those drat screens.
I'd play this on the DS.. but I don't have one. GC seems the easiest choice for me. The PC version I'm afraid may suffer the curse of compatibility fixes and trying to keybind a control scheme to my 360 pad that is already perfect on the GC. Anyways yes the loading screen doors are laughably archaic and time consuming.

Snix posted:

I'd go as far as to call REmake a survival horror masterpiece. It's old-skool tank-control horror at its absolute finest. It's a shame there isn't a market for that anymore.

That it is. This and silent hill 2 are two cases of games not being made like they use to be!

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 28, 2013

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Snix posted:

Is there any chance of it ever being released on PSN, like RE4, or is it doomed to be forever a Nintendo exclusive? I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 28, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Capcom of USA asked people earlier in the year about what products they should go forward with in the digital space with a gigantic survey and REmake on PSN/XBLA was one of the options.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ethanol posted:

I'd play this on the DS.. but I don't have one. GC seems the easiest choice for me. The PC version I'm afraid may suffer the curse of compatibility fixes and trying to keybind a control scheme to my 360 pad that is already perfect on the GC. Anyways yes the loading screen doors are laughably archaic and time consuming.

The DS one is just the original so depending on what kind of experience you are going for, it may not even be the one for you. The GC one is passable with its loading screens. Also, if you just want to finish without any challenge at all, look up the grenade launcher glitch and get some flame and acid rounds.

But yeah, I never noticed it, but one day I was playing it and my friend pointed out to me that I spend more time looking at doors opening than I did actually playing the game. Ever since then, I notice it all the time.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Snix posted:

The controls are part of the problem. I have no issues with the difficulty but not being able to control yourself and run into zombies because the controls suck I have issues with. Also not being able to manually aim and just hope a headshot goes through.

If they made a new REmake that's 3D with RE4 controls but with the same rules of the original REmake for GC I'd be totally on board.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

The controls are part of the problem. I have no issues with the difficulty but not being able to control yourself and run into zombies because the controls suck I have issues with. Also not being able to manually aim and just hope a headshot goes through.

If they made a new REmake that's 3D with RE4 controls but with the same rules of the original REmake for GC I'd be totally on board.

If they did this then you would be able to effortlessly headshot every zombie and never seen a Crimson Head ever though.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

ImpAtom posted:

If they did this then you would be able to effortlessly headshot every zombie and never seen a Crimson Head ever though.

Just make it so head shots don't do dick. Where's your zombie-movie logic NOW, nerd?

Actually, a long time ago, when I played resident evil for the first time, my dad watched me play it and told me to watch Night of the Living Dead. Then I was pissed that you couldn't just shoot them in the head. I'm not sure if ANY zombie game has allowed for the 'shoot them in the head and they die for good' mechanic that pervades the living dead series.

And the poor sales thing is easy to explain - you released it on one platform, dummies.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know if Operation Raccoon City still has a coop community? On 360 anyway.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

On a related note, bought Revelations for the 360 and I'm feeling it's what I wanted RE6 to be, especially Raid Mode. Not many people playing multiplayer though. Anyone looking for a game?

XBL RaptusRegaltier.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

ImpAtom posted:

Well they could make it so headshots do more damage but don't necessarily make a head explode so there is a level of uncertainty with that. It just makes ammo conservation better because now you can target and use ammo efficiently when you have to kill a zombie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

Well they could make it so headshots do more damage but don't necessarily make a head explode so there is a level of uncertainty with that. It just makes ammo conservation better because now you can target and use ammo efficiently when you have to kill a zombie.

The thing is that RE1 (and Remake) function on pretty specific rules. Barring a lucky critical, you have a fairly straightfoward exchange of resources for safety. The level design is cramped and confined because the game is designed in such a way that getting past the enemies is the challenging part. Killing them is minimal effort as long as you're willing (and able) to expend the resources. Even higher-level enemies like Hunters and Dogs are more dangerous because they're harder to dodge and require a greater investment of resources to kill. Remake added the crimson heads to add an extra layer to the trade of resources for safety: You can trade resources for safety but have to exchange even more for permanent safety instead of potentially greater danger later on.

Changing it to a game with a heavy emphasis on headshots would require you to change the rules for the rest of the game as well. That's part of why RE4 ended up going in the direction it did. It could still be a fun game but you couldn't just make Remake with aiming and call it a day. Even if you just made it so headshots do more damage you then have to redesign enemies so that headshots are risky in some fashion, which is harder to do with the smaller numbers and cramped confines of the mansion. You'd have to redesign the enemies and probably the stage layout.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 29, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I really played REmake hard light night. From like 8 - 3 am. I guess I never got far in RE1, because I remember nothing past the first few rooms. It might as well be a new game to me. For instance I didn't remember jill was so different from chris, so I switched over and I'm sure everyone knows this, but her plot-line is easier. At least at the start . You get a gun and more ammo right off the bat and you have barry for moral support, instead of the crippling loneliness that chris faces.

Man the puzzles in this game... there are so many of them. It's like I stumbled into a mountain of cocaine. Some of them can be very time consuming, as it's very easy be tricked into thinking a puzzle needs something extraneous that may or may not exist in the other side of the mansion, you may or may not even see the puzzle for a quite a long time, but they still very compelling to figure out. REmake is quickly becoming one of my favorite games of all time, and I really wish all the new hd remakes would be held to this caliber of development. And this remake is more than ten years old, I can't even tell. Amazing game!

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 29, 2013

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Jill has a lot of advantages over Chris, but unlike OG Resident Evil 1, Chris gets the Flash Grenade defense weapons, which blow a zombie's head off. No head means they can't get all red and twitchy on you. Sure, there's only a few Grenades to be found, and they're one use items, but between them and not needing to waste an inventory slot on a Lighter for your gasoline, Chris has a much easier time preventing Crimson Heads.

It's not much, but it's nice that they threw the guy a bone this time around.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I could be wrong, but wouldn't REmake probably have sold better if it didn't have to compete with RE0 being released in the same year for the same platform?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
REmake and RE1 still have that Capcom arcade sensibility in that the level design and controls are very deliberate and once you get them down you can sail through zombies like it was nobodie's business.
That's why RE games were much better than the bastion of clones they spawned.

REmake sold below expectations because I dunno, I guess they were expecting people to flock to the GC and fled the PS2

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Geight posted:

I could be wrong, but wouldn't REmake probably have sold better if it didn't have to compete with RE0 being released in the same year for the same platform?

Eh, in most territories there was a six month gap between them. That's enough that it wouldn't have put off anyone that was actually interested in both.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Honest Thief posted:

REmake and RE1 still have that Capcom arcade sensibility in that the level design and controls are very deliberate and once you get them down you can sail through zombies like it was nobodie's business.

I feel that Capcom's strength lies in designing games which require players to learn and master the game's core mechanics. For many of their games, there would be a unique or outright esoteric mechanic which rewarded dedicated players. This design usually wouldn't appeal to a mass market audience but would develop a dedicated fanbase over time.

AAA games need a low barrier to entry in order to justify their high development costs. These games are designed to be incredibly accessible for large range of players. Capcom is in a tough position where their core competency is becoming less valuable in an increasingly polarized market place. Outside of a handful of games, it's been very difficult for them to produce a mid-tier game since their large overhead makes the margins of these games so small. This is why they're focusing on mobile platforms, DLC, and AAA games aimed for the mass market. They said that they focus on Mobile/Social/F2P in the future due to the high growth in those markets.

Honest Thief posted:

REmake sold below expectations because I dunno, I guess they were expecting people to flock to the GC and fled the PS2

Capcom had always been promiscuous relationship with platform holders, especially at the start of a new generation. This is partially due to the internal conflicts in the company. There had been a long struggle in Capcom between the management and the developers. Management wanted to almost paradoxically create bonds with other console manufacturers while maintaining a strong relationship with Sony. Developers wanted creative freedom and more financially risky projects. It's why so many Capcom veterans have left the company to form their own studios.

You see this manifest in strange ways, especially with Resident Evil. For example, Nemesis was a spinoff that was passed off as a main entry on the Playstation. While developed by the core Resident Evil team with help from Sega, Code Veronica's title made it look like a spinoff for the Dreamcast when it was a continuation of the main series. They helped Nintendo establish Resident Evil on the Gamecube but Resident Evil 4 ultimately ends up on the PS2 as a late port with added content.

There was always a strange love-hate relationship between Capcom and Sony. Capcom needed Sony's help in promoting their games but didn't like prostrating themselves before the the console maker. You see this schizophrenic behavior reflected in their multiplatform strategy as well.

Unlike many other big Japanese publishers, Capcom branched out to other consoles in spite of the Playstation's overwhelming popularity. They published number of exclusive games for the Xbox and Gamecube. Capcom could work out sweetheart deals with Microsoft and Nintendo when it came to funding and promoting their games. Nonetheless, the company would always give Sony platforms a lot of support since that had a large userbase.

The early generation platform agnostic strategy worked out pretty well for them this past generation. They had a number of early hits with with the Xbox 360, such as Dead Rising and Lost Planet. Strong planning and a good cross-platform engine helped establish this early success. We're still seeing this platform agnostic strategy with this new generation of games, such as Deep Down with Sony, Dead Rising 3 with Microsoft, and Monster Hunter 4 with Nintendo. Games are becoming more and more expensive to make and the market is rapidly changing. They need outside help when developing and promoting their big budget games for core gamers.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

Remake Type C controls are excellent. Light R trigger for walk, full trigger for run. L trigger raises weapon. It allows you to move easier while running. I'm not sure if this scheme is on the other ports or not. They got rid of it altogether for the aim camera in RE4.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that RE1 (and Remake) function on pretty specific rules. Barring a lucky critical, you have a fairly straightfoward exchange of resources for safety. The level design is cramped and confined because the game is designed in such a way that getting past the enemies is the challenging part. Killing them is minimal effort as long as you're willing (and able) to expend the resources. Even higher-level enemies like Hunters and Dogs are more dangerous because they're harder to dodge and require a greater investment of resources to kill. Remake added the crimson heads to add an extra layer to the trade of resources for safety: You can trade resources for safety but have to exchange even more for permanent safety instead of potentially greater danger later on.

It always baffled me that the reward for doing well in these game is infinite resources, because like you said, risk versus expenditure is the entire game. Without resource management, there is no game. This is why I have a dimmer view on RE2 than most people who legitimately like the old style of games -- that game has enough ammo in it to depopulate the maps twice over. RE3 has even more ammo of course, but, Nemesis.