Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It's funny reading this because last time I replayed RE2 a few months ago, I ran out of ammo on the final boss. I even thought I was preserving ammo. I knew not to kill most of the zombies in the beginning before the police station and I left plenty alive if I could manage it throughout the game. Claire was just not getting poo poo for firepower. It raised my opinion on the game that I was always low on resources but it did annoy me that I had to restart on an earlier save at the end to get more ammo.
I swear that boss abuses invincibility frames.
Claire has the weaker weapons despite having awesome explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

General Morden posted:

Hi Protocol7, you should play RE6 with me. Mercs is also real fun.

Sure. Add me on Steam if you don't already have me added for some reason. My handle is ProtocolDDGFX. I will be wanting to finish Revelations before.

Alteisen posted:

Don't forget that you can charge your melee strikes as well, they do huge damage.

See, the game tells me I can charge by holding A on the controller, but it doesn't change anything. What am I doing wrong?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno, when you get the melee prompt just hold it down, you'll see the character holding back their attack then they auto-release at max charge.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Protocol7 posted:

Sure. Add me on Steam if you don't already have me added for some reason. My handle is ProtocolDDGFX. I will be wanting to finish Revelations before.

See, the game tells me I can charge by holding A on the controller, but it doesn't change anything. What am I doing wrong?

He isn't talking about knife attacks. He is talking about the melee attack you get when the enemy is stunned.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

blackguy32 posted:

He isn't talking about knife attacks. He is talking about the melee attack you get when the enemy is stunned.

I had figured. Ah well.

I just got to episode 9. How close to the end am I?

Also, General Morden, I keep forgetting you can't add people by your login name anymore. This is my steam URL.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Protocol7/

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

I had figured. Ah well.

I just got to episode 9. How close to the end am I?

Also, General Morden, I keep forgetting you can't add people by your login name anymore. This is my steam URL.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Protocol7/

I think there are 13 episodes with the last one being really short. So a couple of hours?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Protocol7 posted:

Is this the right account?

Edit: Added the account you linked.

General Morden fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 20, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Luisfe posted:

drat! I should've waited! 10 bux on the steam sale was still a bargain for it because even if a lot of it is rear end, the brawling is AMAZING.

Yeah, pity they don't actually explain how to use it properly. Or anything else for that matter.

Seriously, watch a couple of Youtube tutorials on the game before playing it. The main problem most of us had when the game came out was that they never take the time to explain how the game actually works. That, and the fact that it rapidly turns into a Call of Duty-style set-piece extravaganza for a decent chunk of the game, but mainly the former.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Whew, finished Revelations. That end boss is kinda hard, and the walkthrough I inevitably pulled up said to look for purple smoke. Which I can find just fine, but the whole controller deal was a huge pain in my rear end, because I couldn't even turn fast enough to blast the dude away before getting smacked around.

Fun game though! My first Resident Evil game ever. It was enjoyable.

General Morden posted:

Is this the right account?

Edit: Added the account you linked.

Yeah I think that's my alternate Steam account I haven't used in almost... 6 years. :catstare: I forgot why I made it. Let's play some RE6!

Fake edit: Ah, poo poo, I forgot to install it. That's kind of important.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Whew, finished Revelations. That end boss is kinda hard, and the walkthrough I inevitably pulled up said to look for purple smoke. Which I can find just fine, but the whole controller deal was a huge pain in my rear end, because I couldn't even turn fast enough to blast the dude away before getting smacked around.

Fun game though! My first Resident Evil game ever. It was enjoyable.

Yeah I think that's my alternate Steam account I haven't used in almost... 6 years. :catstare: I forgot why I made it. Let's play some RE6!

Fake edit: Ah, poo poo, I forgot to install it. That's kind of important.

Don't forget to jump into Raid mode.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Seriously, Raid mode is a lot of fun.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Protocol7 posted:

There's a quick-turn. On console controllers it's usually down + Square/X/something.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Would be awesome if they made a stand alone Raid mode game that has everything from the series.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I got RE6 and Revelations in that sale too. I've been playing 6 and while it's not as terrible as the uproar over it made it sound it's still not that great. It just seems like they threw everything they thought might be cool into it and it suffers for it. No direction at all, just a mess of systems that don't gel.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Marogareh posted:

Would be awesome if they made a stand alone Raid mode game that has everything from the series.

Since it seems like every Japanese company in trouble is putting out F2P games, I wouldn't exactly be surprised if this happened eventually.

EDIT: If it ever happens I would buy the gently caress out of an Outbreak character pack.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 21, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No playable Zombie Elephant no sale

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

The GIG posted:

Since it seems like every Japanese company in trouble is putting out F2P games, I wouldn't exactly be surprised if this happened eventually.

EDIT: If it ever happens I would buy the gently caress out of an Outbreak character pack.

Yes. That would be the best thing to happen in the series. I would totally go for a f2p raid mode with more characters.

But you know that if capcom does a f2p something with Resident Evil it would be a dota.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

It's gonna be some phone game that's not the card one.

I still want fuckin' Resident Evil X-COM though. Where the hell is that!

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
I bought both RE6 and RE: Revelations during the sale on steam. Haven't touched RE6 yet, but Revelations I have really enjoyed. I just need a buddy for raid mode.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Luisfe posted:

Yes. That would be the best thing to happen in the series. I would totally go for a f2p raid mode with more characters.

But you know that if capcom does a f2p something with Resident Evil it would be a dota.

Capcom's F2Ping with RE seems to be Japanese cell phone games. There are quite a few of them, and Clan Master seems to be really popular over there.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Barudak posted:

No playable Zombie Elephant no sale

I don't know if anything will ever top Zombie T-rex Boss, almost as if Capcom want to go back to a certain related franchise they left for dead...

SirDrone fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 25, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Last time I tried to play Raid mode on PS3 with some other guy, he proceeded to jump in and mow everyone down with a magnum before I could even try to do anything. Haven't played Raid mode since, but it was fun from what I played of it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads up for Wii U/3DS owners:

Capcom is doing a RE eShop sale in NA; Revelations HD is $20 and Revelations/Mercenaries 3D are $10 until Halloween.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.

blackguy32 posted:

Last time I tried to play Raid mode on PS3 with some other guy, he proceeded to jump in and mow everyone down with a magnum before I could even try to do anything. Haven't played Raid mode since, but it was fun from what I played of it.

Real men go knife only Jill.

Speaking of, if anyone is interested in playing Raid mode on PC, add me on Steam: Kagami_Toxsyl.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Finally found a cool player to play with. We were having quite a bit of fun. Raid mode is starting to grow on me. Its probably the most I have used melee attacks all game.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
So what's the post-release sentiment on RE6? I sometimes see the sentiment espoused that the game radically diverges from RE4/5, but doesn't have the courtesy of letting the player know that it's now a brawler with gunplay serving only to stun/combo-link. Is that true? Because that sounds super fun, and I liked what I saw from some mercenaries videos on Youtube, but I've also heard that it's a QTE fest bogged down with vehicle segments and cover shooting, all of which sounds terrible.

Does co-op save it like it does RE5?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

So what's the post-release sentiment on RE6? I sometimes see the sentiment espoused that the game radically diverges from RE4/5, but doesn't have the courtesy of letting the player know that it's now a brawler with gunplay serving only to stun/combo-link. Is that true? Because that sounds super fun, and I liked what I saw from some mercenaries videos on Youtube, but I've also heard that it's a QTE fest bogged down with vehicle segments and cover shooting, all of which sounds terrible.

Does co-op save it like it does RE5?

RE4 and RE5 were basically brawlers with gunplay serving to stun/combo-link too honestly. RE6 kind of takes it to a more extreme level but it's a pretty natural evolution of the same mechanics that were in RE4/5.

It does have a lot of QTEs and vehicle segments though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The mercenaries mode is an improvement but the campaign kind of sucks. When there is gameplay that isn't a setpiece, I have a lot of fun but there are a lot of setpieces and many aren't even fun.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

ImpAtom posted:

RE4 and RE5 were basically brawlers with gunplay serving to stun/combo-link too honestly. RE6 kind of takes it to a more extreme level but it's a pretty natural evolution of the same mechanics that were in RE4/5.

It does have a lot of QTEs and vehicle segments though.

Most QTEs were made easier with patches (hand over hand crawling/climbing for example) and most aren't as big a deal as they were unpatched. I only wish Sherry & Jake had a better campaign. Even with a fresh start I was able to get to Chapter 5 in just 2 hours and the levels are laid out too plainly. When it gets good it just falls :smith:

But, the Facility in Chapter 3 is still the best part of the game for me. As always, I've got the game on steam and am up for gaming on RE6 at any time. I'm part of the Goon group for RE so you can find me there. I'm not too hot for Revelations right now.

P.S. it's my obsessive duty to counter-attack everything. If I could ride the Ruka-Hvatanje's arm all the way back in a counter to his reach grab and kick him in the face, I'd do it to every single one in the area.

Raziel 0128
Feb 18, 2011
I don't think RE6 is as bad as people initially claimed it's pretty fun and any gunplay is fine on the PC. Mechanically it's a nice improvement but it does have the following main issues that may or may not be a deal breaker for some:
  • It doesn't really explain any of the mechanics, the inventory system is a pain.
  • It has a lot of setpiece QTE and vehicle sections, some of them can drag on a bit. Some setpieces can get you killed by suddenly changing camera angles and reverting your controls when escaping something.
  • Varying Campaign quality. Pacing varies a lot, some chapters go on and on and on and on whilst others are really short.

If you can forgive those flaws and enjoy silly co-op action as you and your friends butt-crawl through the levels it's great fun. It's worth noting you don't get anywhere near as many invincibility frames as you did in RE4/5 during melee/other actions which took a little getting accustomed to after just replaying the entirety of RE5 before starting.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Resident Evil 5 has surpassed the original release of Street Fighter 2 as Capcom's best selling game of all time. The caveat is that the different versions of Street Fighter 2 aren't lumped together. If they were, then the total would be over 13 million units going off the numbers we have from the list.

Oh, and they also spelled 'Platium Titles' wrong at the top. An honest mistake, a jab at Platinum Games, or Capcpom being Capcpom? You decide.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

I refuse to believe that operation raccoon city sold better than RE4. Also it's capcom so it's on accidently my Revelaitons copy is proof of that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I just got Revelations, and man is Raid Mode fun. Any other goons that play it/any DLC or stuff from the RE.Net I should get?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Azran posted:

I just got Revelations, and man is Raid Mode fun. Any other goons that play it/any DLC or stuff from the RE.Net I should get?

The DLC mostly sucks since it is pretty much low level stuff that you will get within a few hours of playing.

Also, it would help to know what platform you are playing it on.

Sunning posted:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Resident Evil 5 has surpassed the original release of Street Fighter 2 as Capcom's best selling game of all time. The caveat is that the different versions of Street Fighter 2 aren't lumped together. If they were, then the total would be over 13 million units going off the numbers we have from the list.

Oh, and they also spelled 'Platium Titles' wrong at the top. An honest mistake, a jab at Platinum Games, or Capcpom being Capcpom? You decide.

I didn't realize that RE6 sold that much. But Capcom must have spent a poo poo load to make it because it has some really high production values. There are quite a few CGI cutscenes in it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Azran posted:

The only DLC worth buying are the two skins, and that's entirely dependent on how tolerant you are when it comes to blatant fanservice.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Not tolerant at all. :v:

Also, I'm playing on the PC. Steamid: Azran

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Azran posted:

Not tolerant at all. :v:

Also, I'm playing on the PC. Steamid: Azran

Best avoid Lady Hunk then. Rachael Ooze may be worth your time though.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Steinuh posted:

I refuse to believe that operation raccoon city sold better than RE4. Also it's capcom so it's on accidently my Revelaitons copy is proof of that.

Looking at the numbers, RE4 on all platforms beats ORC on all platforms.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
But ORC is the better game. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

RE4 got a relatively slow start due to being a GameCube exclusive for nine months or so. It doesn't surprise me that RE5's sold more copies overall, particularly since RE5 has a better PC port.

Alteisen posted:

But ORC is the better game. :colbert:

Are you posting with a head injury?