Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I'll probably jump on it. I never got to unlock the PRL42 Laser in the PS2 version and I liked the Mercenaries then so yeah count me in.

(Yeah I know the laser sucks dick but whatever, I'm an unlockable-freak)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Pff... 60 fps? My 120Hz monitor demands 120fps.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Wait the Ultimate HD version doesn't have Specular highlights and DOF? What the hell?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Scyantific posted:

I'll probably jump on it. I never got to unlock the PRL42 Laser in the PS2 version and I liked the Mercenaries then so yeah count me in.

(Yeah I know the laser sucks dick but whatever, I'm an unlockable-freak)

are we talking about the same PRL 412? That thing when fully charged will one shot ANY enemy, and that includes bosses. Speaking of which when I used it when I first unlocked it it actually broke Saddler fight so bad that I didn't get the super-special RPG from Ada, why? Because Saddler was dead as soon as the cutscene ended and therefore she couldn't swoop in after enough damage was done to deliver that 30,000 worth RPG.

Speaking of this new remake, if they actually give you REAL achievements then yes I would consider this one the definitive version. I used to think the Wii version was the definitive because it used all of the stats and goodies from the Gamecube version but also included Separate Ways, not to mention the wiimote scheme works REALLY well. I will be happy if the achievements actually ARE achievements instead of simply "hurray, you beat this chapter, hurray you unlocked the hand cannon" like what we got when the HD versions came out for the consoles. Come on Steam, do us right

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I just got around to playing Revelations after buying it from the steam Christmas sale. Lot more than I expected from a 3DS game. I wish that the new 4 Resident Evil port would also have raid mode. I love customizing the guns and it personally appeals to me more than mercenaries ever did.

I'm trying to run through the campaign on Infernal now, but I'm getting wreaked by the mass amounts of oozes in the beginning without any herbs. Would anyone have any suggested setups for guns and mods that might make my life easier?

Edit: If anyone is interested in playing raid mode with a newbie my here's my steam account http://steamcommunity.com/id/Broose/

Broose fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 27, 2014

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Is that new HD port going to be moddable? If not, I'm going to go back to crazed RE4 mods where I fought xenomorphs and Silent Hill enemies with a brightly colored dildo.

Hell, I might just get it, since the mouse patch was always a little janky.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Broose posted:

I just got around to playing Revelations after buying it from the steam Christmas sale. Lot more than I expected from a 3DS game. I wish that the new 4 Resident Evil port would also have raid mode. I love customizing the guns and it personally appeals to me more than mercenaries ever did.

Agreed 100%.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Do I need to have a certain level unlocked for someone else to invite me into it?

Also, I don't care about the main game - should I just look around for a savegame to unlock the entirety of Raid Mode?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Azran posted:

Do I need to have a certain level unlocked for someone else to invite me into it?

Also, I don't care about the main game - should I just look around for a savegame to unlock the entirety of Raid Mode?

No, but without a game complete you can only stages 1 through 7, but yes if you don't care about the campaign get a save file.

I'm insane, I love Raid mode so much I own RE:Rev on 360, PS3, 3DS and I'm gonna the PC one eventually, wish my friends weren't so spread out but gently caress it, raid is just to drat good.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

JackMackerel posted:

Is that new HD port going to be moddable? If not, I'm going to go back to crazed RE4 mods where I fought xenomorphs and Silent Hill enemies with a brightly colored dildo.

Hell, I might just get it, since the mouse patch was always a little janky.

No word, but considering people were able to mod DMC4 & DmC, it's a distinct possibility!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is it likely that RE4 supporting KB + M means you'll be able to properly aim with the mouse like you could with the Wiimote?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

The Resident Evil 4 Pre-order page posted:

Native keyboard and mouse support with customizable key binding, mouse sensitivity, and mouse acceleration settings.

That said, playing RE4 with a mouse is dumb.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Equilibrium posted:

How is it any different from using a Wiimote?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Awesome Welles posted:

How is it any different from using a Wiimote?

You can't just swing the mouse around helter-skelter to win at QTEs without even looking at the required buttons I bet.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Emulated Wii version is still the best version.

I think I've been obsessed with RE4 like 3 separate times. I've bought it on gamecube, PS2, and PC. I've finished it an ungodly amount. I don't think I need the 'ultra hd' version or whatever, I've just about RE4'd as much as someone possibly can.

I still go back to the REmake once a year though, I can't get enough of it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
We must be nearing Street Fighter 2 levels of different versions at this point.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I see this as a "Resident Evil 4: Not poo poo Edition" rather than a new version like they seem to be selling. I'll probably buy it because I don't own the game anymore.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Equilibrium posted:

What? Anything that requires aiming and shooting should use the mouse.

Hopefully the mouse actually works properly unlike with the last couple of RE games released on Steam. Both RE6 and Revelations had pretty bad acceleration until they patched it out.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PureRok posted:

If its a PvP centric FPS sure, but RE4 isn't so I don't see why precision aiming is so important.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Alteisen posted:

If its a PvP centric FPS sure, but RE4 isn't so I don't see why precision aiming is so important.

I'm pretty sure being able to shoot accurately is a useful thing in a game where you aim for headshots and kneeshots a lot. That said, M+KB in an RE game still feels weird to me, even though I play most shooters with that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A real man uses mouse for precision knifing of the face and knees.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

PureRok posted:

I get where you're coming from but RE4 really wasn't designed to be played with a mouse or Wiimote. It's not like Halo where yeah playing that with a mouse makes perfect sense, because the tension this game is known for is the end product of its awkward controls, each weapon's unique handling characteristics, the need for ammo conservation, and the slow but steady advance of the enemies. Using a mouse defeats the point by transforming one of the best games ever into one of the easiest games ever.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Doesn't RE5 and 6 already use the mouse? I don't think its that big of a deal. Although, when you start playing that well, its kind of interesting to see the adaptive difficulty system in action, where one hit will take off about 40% of your health if not more.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Equilibrium posted:

I get where you're coming from but RE4 really wasn't designed to be played with a mouse or Wiimote. It's not like Halo where yeah playing that with a mouse makes perfect sense, because the tension this game is known for is the end product of its awkward controls, each weapon's unique handling characteristics, the need for ammo conservation, and the slow but steady advance of the enemies. Using a mouse defeats the point by transforming one of the best games ever into one of the easiest games ever.

Awkward controls made sense in Silent Hill games, where you're playing average people thrown into a horrible situation, but if my character is an elite SWAT dude I feel like I ought to have pretty good control over him.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
M&K controls aren't a guarantee for good control anyway; I played RE5 on PC, and even as someone fond of FPSes, the combination of recoil, firing rates, camera view, and the feel of the movement didn't make the game a mindless click-fest. It made some spots easier, sure, but eventually you'll be stuck in a tight spot or fumble while switching weapons/reloading.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speaking of RE games and mouse support, what setting do I change with Revelations to make the mouse feel more responsive? Is it an acceleration INI thing? It feels very floaty.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/14950/20140129/resident-evil-2-remake-reborn-hd.htm

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

crossposting this neat thing from the Weird Fanart Thread:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Looks entirely accurate to the source material if you ask me.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So does anything important happen in Zero/Code Veronica? My first RE was 4, and I kind of want to go back and play the older games. 1/2/3 all make sense to play, because they introduce Chris/Jill/Leon/more Jill I guess, but what does Zero/CV add? And is the Gamecube version of CV good enough to play, or should I actually gun for the Ps2 verison?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Zero adds the coolest protagonist punching and suplexing evil monkeys, and that's it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rookersh posted:

So does anything important happen in Zero/Code Veronica? My first RE was 4, and I kind of want to go back and play the older games. 1/2/3 all make sense to play, because they introduce Chris/Jill/Leon/more Jill I guess, but what does Zero/CV add? And is the Gamecube version of CV good enough to play, or should I actually gun for the Ps2 verison?

Zero has some mediocre gameplay punctuated by Billy and Als Friday Night Security Camera Party. Every now and then it just cuts to the two sitting in some random rear end room watching security footage from places there shouldn't be cameras.

Also it has some of the craziest geometry every that hurts my brain to think about.

It starts on a train traveling through Raccoon Forest. The train crashes in the basement of a mansion. That mansion it turns out is a big ol Umbrella training facility. As you explore the mansion you end up going to an old cathedral that is never seen again. Then you go down some tunnel and BAM back in the RE2 labs. Those labs end up connecting right into the room the train crashed in. Then at the end, after the RE0 mansion burns down, Rebecca says goodbye to Billy Coen and walks over a hill to see the RE1 mansion.

This pretty much means that Umbrella made not one, or two but THREE underground bases that are basically all within a 5 minute walk of each other despite the RPD being in what I always felt was downtown Racoon City.

Also the STARS didn't notice a recently burned down mansion in the middle of the forest while they were flying around with a helicopter so I'm pretty sure they're blind as gently caress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If you played RE1 then STARS being incompetent is no new thing.

They might just think its always been like that.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How about Code Veronica? More Chris sounds kind of important, but uh, I haven't seen a single mention of Claire in 4/5/6/Rev, so I'm assuming she stops mattering after that game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Rookersh posted:

How about Code Veronica? More Chris sounds kind of important, but uh, I haven't seen a single mention of Claire in 4/5/6/Rev, so I'm assuming she stops mattering after that game.

Code Veronica wraps up Claire's plot line (she finds her brother and decides that after a trip to Antarctica, Umbrella can go gently caress itself, she's going back to college), and establishes Wesker's return and his new rivalry with Chris. Despite the fact that Jill can be the one who faces Wesker at the end of RE1 (and RE3 makes her ending the one that makes the most sense), Wesker apparently decides that Chris is the one who has always been a thorn in his side.

Even though Wesker also says that his plan in RE1 worked perfectly, Chris still hosed it up somehow, so now they are archenemies because everyone is insane.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Crowetron posted:

Code Veronica wraps up Claire's plot line (she finds her brother and decides that after a trip to Antarctica, Umbrella can go gently caress itself, she's going back to college), and establishes Wesker's return and his new rivalry with Chris. Despite the fact that Jill can be the one who faces Wesker at the end of RE1 (and RE3 makes her ending the one that makes the most sense), Wesker apparently decides that Chris is the one who has always been a thorn in his side.

Even though Wesker also says that his plan in RE1 worked perfectly, Chris still hosed it up somehow, so now they are archenemies because everyone is insane.

This illustrates perfectly why making any attempt to reconcile any of the RE game plots is a waste of time. Basically dumb poo poo is going to happen that makes no sense, so just sit back and enjoy Wesker bellowing "CHHHHHHRRRRRRIIIIISSSSSSS!!!!" every few minutes, then press X to punch the gently caress out of a boulder until it explodes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Crowetron posted:

If I am not mistaken, in the original, if you do everything right to get the good ending, Wesker doesn't even set foot in the tyrant room. Barry knocks him out before hand and you don't even know that Wesker even died unless you go out of your way and find out that a chimera decapitated him in the Triggering system room.

In Chris's game, Wesker gets impaled by the Tyrant and Rebecca sets off the triggering system. But Umbrella Chronicles says that Chris and Jill were together when they confront Wesker

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

If I am not mistaken, in the original, if you do everything right to get the good ending, Wesker doesn't even set foot in the tyrant room. Barry knocks him out before hand and you don't even know that Wesker even died unless you go out of your way and find out that a chimera decapitated him in the Triggering system room.

In Chris's game, Wesker gets impaled by the Tyrant and Rebecca sets off the triggering system. But Umbrella Chronicles says that Chris and Jill were together when they confront Wesker

It's been a long time since I've played a version of RE1 that wasn't the Remake, so you might be right, but I could've sworn Barry knocks out Wesker in the Tyrant room. I never knew you could find his corpse anywhere, so that's as much of an excuse I need to dig out my old PS1 discs.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Crowetron posted:

It's been a long time since I've played a version of RE1 that wasn't the Remake, so you might be right, but I could've sworn Barry knocks out Wesker in the Tyrant room. I never knew you could find his corpse anywhere, so that's as much of an excuse I need to dig out my old PS1 discs.

Its right after you get off the elevator but before the Tyrant room. Its kind of funny, because when you get in there, Barry starts fiddling with all this poo poo that he obviously probably knows nothing about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Crowetron posted:

Maybe the one downside to being turned into a superhero is it made Wesker insane.

That also explains a lot of what he does in CV.

Edit: I would also accept he is just saying that poo poo to save face.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 2, 2014