Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I think a lot of people ignore ammo capacity upgrades and that leads to ammo shortage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh yeah, it always looked like it was for a game that went in a more frenetic/surreal direction, it's great. Not that the actual game's bad, just different from what I would've guessed based on that art.

When I first saw Resident Evil played (shortly after it came out, my uncle let my brother borrow it, and I was probably a little too young to watch), I always thought that the zombies would be magic, because it looked like ghosts and magic attacking the gunman on the box

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Leave posted:

When I first saw Resident Evil played (shortly after it came out, my uncle let my brother borrow it, and I was probably a little too young to watch), I always thought that the zombies would be magic, because it looked like ghosts and magic attacking the gunman on the box

They were originally going to be, weren't they? Then they decided to go with crazy biohorror instead.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

DeadButDelicious posted:

Also the og RE1 cover art owns bones but I was always more captivated by the zombie art on the back of the instruction manual:

The key art around the early RE games, particularly the first 2, was always amazing.

It's a real throwback to a time when art could let your imagination add to the experience or fill in the blanks. It's just a very different thing to "here's an in-engine screenshot of man with gun or pulsating mutation dude". Despite playing every flavor of RE1 over the years, the OG box art and that zombie image still have the ability to conjure up a fascinating recollection of the atmosphere and vibe of RE1 - beyond simply playing the actual game we ended up with.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Night10194 posted:

They were originally going to be, weren't they? Then they decided to go with crazy biohorror instead.

I think Sweet Home's horror elements were more supernatural in essence and RE1 was originally slated to be a remake of Sweet Home on famicom, so yeah I think that tracks.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The tunnels before the lab in RE1 always fill me with dread. They're full of jumping frog things with claws that can decapitate you in one jump and then all of a sudden out of nowhere you have to fight a goddamn giant queen spider.

I also love the vibe of the mansion when you return from the guard house. You get access to the library which fills a load of gaps about the arklay mountain murders.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

A few of us are gonna play some Resistance on PS4 tomorrow at 8pm EST if there's anyone here that'd be interested in a revisit.

We'll try to cheese a few Trophies for those that don't already have the Plat. If you're interested hit me up on PSN at CJSeedge.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Think of it as your last chance to play resistance because surely it's gonna go offline sooner than later. (hi I'm one of the folks that'll be playing)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO3VXSa2RHA

This was entirely too good.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:vince:

I need the nexusmod on my desk by 8AM Monday if you want to keep working here!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm playing the games that have the PS5 upgrade again, and I don't really have much new to say other than RE2R really is a loving masterpiece. I also didn't remember Scenario 2 feeling like such a skin-of-your teeth experience.

I'm on to 3R and I maintain there's a lot to like here - although I miss the zombies feeling so... collapsible. Nemesis was wasted. But I think the game is fine and paced well enough for what it is, and seeing a bit more of Raccoon City as a functioning "industrial metropolis" (with a population of 100,000? I'll never square the small town/metropolis circle) is cool.

I don't think I'll be going for the plat on either like I did on PS4; I might have a power-fantasy run in 3R. Maybe.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Disco Pope posted:

I'm playing the games that have the PS5 upgrade again, and I don't really have much new to say other than RE2R really is a loving masterpiece. I also didn't remember Scenario 2 feeling like such a skin-of-your teeth experience.

I'm on to 3R and I maintain there's a lot to like here - although I miss the zombies feeling so... collapsible. Nemesis was wasted. But I think the game is fine and paced well enough for what it is, and seeing a bit more of Raccoon City as a functioning "industrial metropolis" (with a population of 100,000? I'll never square the small town/metropolis circle) is cool.

I don't think I'll be going for the plat on either like I did on PS4; I might have a power-fantasy run in 3R. Maybe.

The Plat on 3R is actually pretty easy since you can use the Rocket Launcher to get the Hardcore/Nightmare/Inferno timed runs.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
This is a trap. No matter what you do you have to endure Final Nemesis at the end of Inferno.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

I'm playing the games that have the PS5 upgrade again, and I don't really have much new to say other than RE2R really is a loving masterpiece.

The first 3rd of RE2R is my favorite part of all the resident evil games. The police station is the exact right balance of ‘oh poo poo do I stand and fight or run away.’

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Medullah posted:

The Plat on 3R is actually pretty easy since you can use the Rocket Launcher to get the Hardcore/Nightmare/Inferno timed runs.

I already have it from when I played the PS4 version, so I'm only doing stuff that I know is fun this time round.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Doomykins posted:

This is a trap. No matter what you do you have to endure Final Nemesis at the end of Inferno.

This is what has prevented me from getting plat on 3R :(

The rocket launcher is useless on that fight and I just can't get the dodge timing down.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My advice is to use the dodge increasing book and both defense coins. With both coins you can survive more than one hit which might be enough to swing the tide. A trick I used with the Rai-den is that if you do the dodge counter, it resets the charge time of the gun so you can pop tumors in between dodges.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

So I fired up REmake this weekend.

In my opinion this is one of the greatest games ever made, and absolutely remains the high water mark for videogame remakes. It's a game I've played a lot. I once played it back to back about 8 or 9 times through various challenges.. speed runs, knife only runs etc.. which genuinely killed my interest in playing any other games for about 6 months afterwards.

However that was about 10 years ago now. It's crazy to think how old REmake is, and it probably says a lot that there's resistance to the idea of RE1 needing another remake despite it coming from the same era as Capcom's other current efforts (or older, considering RE4)

It's been amusing me how much I remember.. but even better.. how much my dumb rear end has forgot. I lost a lot of progress by totally forgetting how the Neptune encounter/"puzzle" worked and ended up becoming shark food. Also hit a progress wall which would have been resolved by just remembering about the missing piece of sheet music for Moonlight Sonata - with a second trip to that room also triggering my only "real" encounter with a Crimson Head so far.. not an ideal room for a fight with one of those. Some real basics here have just slipped out of my mind. Oh, and forgetting where the last Death Mask was while I just had the Jewellery Box sat there in my storage..

It's been quite nice to find out that returning to a game I love so much, and have played so much of, still has the ability to challenge and surprise given enough time between play throughs.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

2 was my introduction to the series. I picked up DC and did finish it as a kid all those years ago but remember gently caress all about it. Aside from my pathological liar friend at the time claiming every Greatest Hits version of games was always missing something, in the case of RE1, it was Barry's scenario. I've attempted ReMake a couple times but never got far with it. Its so crazy how its the same formula as the other two original trilogy entries but for some reason I just cant seem to overcome it. I think I'd be a lot more inclined if they did do another remake with modern mechanics.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

codo27 posted:

I've attempted ReMake a couple times but never got far with it. Its so crazy how its the same formula as the other two original trilogy entries but for some reason I just cant seem to overcome it. I think I'd be a lot more inclined if they did do another remake with modern mechanics.

I think this is totally valid and strong example of why RE1 probably should get a modern remake that brings it in line with 2/3/4.

I'm an old crank. I played RE1 in 1996 and I played REmake in 2002, so the way those games play is easy for me to tune myself back into. But like I said above, it's easy to forget that REmake itself is old as poo poo. Recommending REmake as the default way to experience the first game in this historic and extremely important franchise holds increasingly limited value. And with all the best will in the world, a sizeable portion of players are just never going to be able to jive with the way it plays compared to something like the RE2 or 4 remakes.

RE1 is a special game in any form. I still think it's fundamentally the best RE game and likely always will. I think it does a number of things so specifically well that the franchise has never matched before, either via intentionally moving on or just never recapturing the same vibes again. It deserves to have a consistent role in whatever form this franchise takes, and I think that now includes updating it to fit with the current run of remakes.

What I really want though is the classic trilogy on modern systems. As much as RE1 deserves a fresh perspective, the 1996 game also deserves to be preserved and enjoyed for what it is.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bumhead posted:

So I fired up REmake this weekend.

In my opinion this is one of the greatest games ever made, and absolutely remains the high water mark for videogame remakes. It's a game I've played a lot. I once played it back to back about 8 or 9 times through various challenges.. speed runs, knife only runs etc.. which genuinely killed my interest in playing any other games for about 6 months afterwards.

However that was about 10 years ago now. It's crazy to think how old REmake is, and it probably says a lot that there's resistance to the idea of RE1 needing another remake despite it coming from the same era as Capcom's other current efforts (or older, considering RE4)

It's been amusing me how much I remember.. but even better.. how much my dumb rear end has forgot. I lost a lot of progress by totally forgetting how the Neptune encounter/"puzzle" worked and ended up becoming shark food. Also hit a progress wall which would have been resolved by just remembering about the missing piece of sheet music for Moonlight Sonata - with a second trip to that room also triggering my only "real" encounter with a Crimson Head so far.. not an ideal room for a fight with one of those. Some real basics here have just slipped out of my mind. Oh, and forgetting where the last Death Mask was while I just had the Jewellery Box sat there in my storage..

It's been quite nice to find out that returning to a game I love so much, and have played so much of, still has the ability to challenge and surprise given enough time between play throughs.

Honestly my own personal resistance to a remake of RE1 is the opportunity cost. We only get so much stuff out of Capcom in a year and I'd so much rather see them make RE9, or redo CV or 5 than I would see them tackle 1 again.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think for me as well is that I just find 1 too stressful. All subsequent entries are a cakewalk, not to mention I have so much more familiarity with them. The mansion is an intimidating setting, and going in more or less blind makes it more so.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly, my hot take is that it's much more reasonable to remake bad games than good ones so i'd much rather see a code veronica remake than an re1 remake.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They can and should do both.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

REmake doesn't need a remake because it is perfect and there's nothing to improve on. I don't like the idea that games should be remade just because they are old and need to be modernized so the modern gamer strawman can stomach playing it.

That said, there could be other reasons they find to remake it. Whatever, I'd play it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
A remake doesn't necessarily need to improve on anything. For same reason you can create infinite remixes and variations of a popular song.

Games like FF7R and RE4make are companion pieces to original and it's really cool to see when remake does things differently that makes both versions worth playing.

For example RE1make could be a what if type of scenario where the original plot goes into completely unexpected direction and provides new and interesting gameplay as result.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 8, 2024

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

SettingSun posted:

REmake doesn't need a remake because it is perfect and there's nothing to improve on. I don't like the idea that games should be remade just because they are old and need to be modernized so the modern gamer strawman can stomach playing it.

That said, there could be other reasons they find to remake it. Whatever, I'd play it.

It's something I go back and forth on. My opinion of REmake could barely be any higher.

I think my increasing view that they should remake RE1 is informed by my view of the other new remakes (2, 3 & 4). I think they are cool and good, probably about as good as modern AAA games get, personally. None of them replace the originals in my mind. They're all complimentary, but not the defacto Resident Evil experience.

To others though, they might be, and I think those guys deserve a version of RE1 that fits their new canon of the original story lineage of titles and what this series is in 2024 and beyond. And likewise, RE1 deserves that slice of a new audience. Also I just think it would be cool to see RE1 with that level of fidelity. It may or may not end up being better than REmake but.. REmake will always exist and be awesome so it doesn't matter to me either way, just like it doesn't matter to me that I prefer RE2 to RE2:R.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 8, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Needing to remake 1 to fit the canon is absurd. 1 has never messed with the canon, the game has no canonical ending and never got one with the first remake. And yet everyone was fine

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been steamed about it for YEARS

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Resident Evil 1 has a canon ending. Jill's good ending is obviously canon.

Reasons:

Jill is alive. Barry is alive.

Chris Redfield is alive and clearly incredibly loving bitter at Wesker because he spent the entire game locked in a cell and all of his friends make fun of him for his 'heroic' contribution of being locked up for the entire game. This bitterness leads to him abusing steroids and being pissy at Wesker, unlike Jill who is clearly confident and capable because she actually survived the experience.

Rebecca is alive because she went through the entirety of Resident Evil 0 so when she got into the Spencer Mansion she just turned around and walked the gently caress out, shooting zombies with her incredible amount of weapons until she reached town.

See. Flawless canon.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Gaius Marius posted:

Needing to remake 1 to fit the canon is absurd. 1 has never messed with the canon, the game has no canonical ending and never got one with the first remake. And yet everyone was fine

I'll edit that as it's a sloppy choice of words - I don't mean narratively, I just mean fitting in with this new lineage of games from 2 to 4 (and presumably 5, possibly CV, whatever else they do)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gripweed posted:

They can and should do both.
Code Veronica, but every time someone says "Chris", you have to complete a Chris playthrough of RE1.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
now that i have seen a single modder make an entire fixed camera mode for 2r, i think capcom should make a 1 remake remake that has both an over the shoulder and fixed camera mode to please all of us

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

SettingSun posted:

Resident Evil 4 Remake is the best unnecessary remake on the market. The original was perfect and is still relevant but I'm glad the remake exists and is just as good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Remake itself was unnecessary but Separate Ways was a massive step up from the OG and justifies the whole thing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I wanna see RE1 done in the style of the modern remakes because I think the general gameplay loop that RE2R had during the RPD was phenomenal and I think doing that again but at the Arklay Mansion would be really fun.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Remaking RE1 to fit canon is the least of my interest in something like that. I honestly think the new engine could just make it a better game.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

site posted:

now that i have seen a single modder make an entire fixed camera mode for 2r, i think capcom should make a 1 remake remake that has both an over the shoulder and fixed camera mode to please all of us

That was the original plan for 2r they just abandoned it

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
An over-the-shoulder version of RE1 in the current RE engine could be loving terrifying and stellar. I'd be all for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Gaius Marius posted:

The Remake itself was unnecessary but Separate Ways was a massive step up from the OG and justifies the whole thing.

Ada did not fight a battleship in the Remake and therefore it cannot be a massive step up.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 9, 2024