Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
I bought the japanese PS3 version of RE4, because I had money to waste and I always wanted to play through the Ashley part with the classic camera angles. Anyway, am I crazy or is this version technically inferior to the US PS3 release? It seems to use less AA, textures are more washed out and the framerate is worse. Afterwards I booted up the US version just to make sure. What's up with that? Did they do the HD conversions for both regions seperately or how could this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there some sort of RE event or announcement on the horizon? It was really weird driving home from work tonight and seeing black military style trucks with UMBRELLA CORPORATION painted on the side next to me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there some sort of RE event or announcement on the horizon? It was really weird driving home from work tonight and seeing black military style trucks with UMBRELLA CORPORATION painted on the side next to me.

Consider leaving town for a week or two.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I believe this may be related to the filming of the next live action movie rather than anything with the games.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I was gonna ask where you live, because I'm sure that's about to become "the next Racoon City."

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Alright, go seek out a team of one or two extremely competent buff men with no personality that have a skeleton thin sidekick girl that can wield firearms that should knock her on her rear end with each shot. Do not approach them until all mildly competent looking soldier men around them die horribly and it's just those two. Be sure to confirm all soldier men have died. There may be a back up squad of soldier men. DO NOT ENGAGE UNTIL THEY ARE DEAD TOO!

Trust me on this. Your safety is not guaranteed otherwise.

Edit: Stay the gently caress away from helicopters unless someone has just fired a RPG at a giant monster.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 6, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Chris Redfield has plenty of personality, he just expresses it differently and shame on you for judging him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

Chris Redfield has plenty of personality, he just expresses it differently and shame on you for judging him

He is a rare breed of human who communicates by inflating and deflating his muscles.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

He is a rare breed of human who communicates by inflating and deflating his muscles.

various grunts and bare-knuckle fist movements for "yes" "no" and "give me herbs"

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Okay first off, try to check how many items you can carry at once. If you can carry more than 10, get ready to run fast, the zombies are gonna be running too.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

timeandtide posted:

RE 5 original concepts detailed based on the RE5 Art Book: http://www.relyonhorror.com/in-depth/resident-evil-5-beta-4-5-information-lost-scrapped-concepts/

Bro-venture with Barry Burton! Branching narratives! Some interesting set pieces (Chris gets stuck in a room stocked floor to ceiling with red barrels and zombies...if one barrel blows, they all do, forcing you to use the knife or run) and the return of the merchant!

God drat it, everything in here is so much cooler than what we ended up getting with boring rear end resident evil 5 :negative: all for some lovely pain in the rear end co-op mechanics

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

the co-op is the best part of RE5 sry2say

e: if you have friends

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Excels posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone calling RE5 bad doesn't have any friends. At all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If you didn't bait your friend across the bridge in RE5 and then let go of the lever you weren't playing the game right.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

amitlu posted:

On the console versions of the game I used to agree with the complaint about bullet sponge bosses that didn't have notable hit reactions to tell you are doing damage. However on the PC version I found that some weak spots are way easier to see with the higher resolution, and they didn't take nearly as long to kill when using mouse aim to target them. The Dino boss for example I found the weak point on his back near impossible to see on the 360 version, and even when I knew it was there I found it pretty hard to hit so it took a long time to damage him. On the PC version it was no problem at all.

...the bosses had weak spots?

Okay, did this loving game explain anything?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RE6 is great because it taught me that goons apparently need every single mechanic spelled out for them.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Len posted:

RE6 is great because it taught me that goons apparently need every single mechanic spelled out for them.

There is no middle ground between "gently caress THIS GAME STOP HOLDING MY HAND!" and "NOTHING IS EXPLAINED EVER, BANGING MY HEAD AGAINST THE WALL ISN'T WORKING! WHAT A PILE OF poo poo!"

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

...the bosses had weak spots?

Okay, did this loving game explain anything?

Case in point. This idiot. Bosses have weak points that aren't glowing bright red but should be obvious anyway with a slight bit of trial and error?! What devilry is this?! :argh:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The best part is you're not really intended to shoot the weak spot on the Dino's back if you're playing as Leon & Helena, Ada attacks that one. You can still shoot it with proper angles but you have his head (a much better target in my experience) or getting under his legs and going for the torso area, bunch of eyeball packets there that ooze boss juice. What you have to keep in mind about RE6 is that it's just really unpolished and there's all this weird stuff that won't make sense and unless you play a really long time you'd never notice, like for example I really don't think that weak spot on his back does a lot of damage compared to hitting his head, and the one in his torso is negligible damage. This is all moot as you should be using remote bombs planted next to convenient oil barrels and punching him to death :smug:

Then you fight his stupid dog form and the weak spots around his extended head bleed like sensitive weak spots but don't do the kind of damage you'd expect and the fight is always unnecessarily long :v:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If you didn't bait your friend across the bridge in RE5 and then let go of the lever you weren't playing the game right.

:smug::respek::smug:

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case

Excels posted:

various grunts and bare-knuckle fist movements for "yes" "no" and "give me herbs"

GIMME AN EGG

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Fixed that for you.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Lunethex posted:

Then you fight his stupid dog form and the weak spots around his extended head bleed like sensitive weak spots but don't do the kind of damage you'd expect and the fight is always unnecessarily long :v

This is really something important for games in general. You don't need huge glowing weak spots or the game taking control away from you to show you that a weak spot just opened up if you have attacks plink off on most of the enemy, but give really satisfying squishy noises and effects when you hit weak points.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The problem with RE6 is that they blew their load on a next-gen graphics engine and paid like six or seven hundred people to draw Leon's flippy hair and make rain effects on clothes

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Excels posted:

Klaus Kinski posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone calling RE5 bad doesn't have any friends. At all.

Here's a list of games that are "fun with friends": All of them. Literally every game ever. I could play Bad Rats with my friends and have a good time. RE 5 and 6 are bad games.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
RE5 and 6 where good games.

They where just lovely Resident Evil games, as was 4.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Sorry, true facts here for a second: Resident Evil 6 owned, Resident Evil 5 did not.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cyra posted:

Sorry, true facts here for a second: Resident Evil 6 owned, Resident Evil 5 did not.

That's funny. You say "true facts" and then post the exact opposite. You're funny.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Ryaomon posted:

Here's a list of games that are "fun with friends": All of them. Literally every game ever. I could play Bad Rats with my friends and have a good time. RE 5 and 6 are bad games.

As someone that has spent way too many dollars on steam buying anything labeled "co-op", this is false. There are many games that are not fun with friends, even with lots of alcohol involved.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Klaus Kinski posted:

As someone that has spent way too many dollars on steam buying anything labeled "co-op", this is false. There are many games that are not fun with friends, even with lots of alcohol involved.

Aliens: Colonial Marines was too lovely to have fun with, even in co-op. RE5 and 6 were ridiculously fun when I played them co-op with a buddy.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I hated RE 5 at first but grew to like it once I played co-op. The single player is a huge pain though. On the other hand, everyone kept talking about RE 6 was absolutely irredeemably awful and I found it a lot of fun, even on single player which only became moreso on co-op. Sure there's some annoying setpieces but no more or less than RE 5's.

I can only guess it's because I got it on PC which presumably was up to date with the current console versions and the patches made it easier/better or something? I just didn't seem to have half of the trouble some people in this thread had with the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To me, RE6's setpieces were more annoying because they largely changed the gameplay. I don't mind gimmick fights but I really hate gimmick vehicle segments or whatever. It's the same reason the jeep segment in RE5 is my least favorite part of the game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

To me, RE6's setpieces were more annoying because they largely changed the gameplay. I don't mind gimmick fights but I really hate gimmick vehicle segments or whatever. It's the same reason the jeep segment in RE5 is my least favorite part of the game.

it doesn't help that the turret jeep section ends with the shittiest boss fight ever and takes entirely too loving long

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
RE5 is about waiting for player 2 to do something and hopefully survive. RE6 makes player 2 into a Tails metaphor. Useless and suicidal, but not a Game Over.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

RE5 is about waiting for player 2 to do something and hopefully survive. RE6 makes player 2 into a Tails metaphor. Useless and suicidal, but not a Game Over.

"Sheva! Sheva! HURRY! Sheva! HURRY! Come on! Sheva!"

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Alteisen posted:

RE5 and 6 where good games.

They where just lovely Resident Evil games, as was 4.

Everyone ignored this because it's stupid but I just want to make sure everyone takes a second to go, 'wow, how dumb'.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

That's basically it. Sheva loved to casually walk up to instant kill enemies and knife them or something equally stupid which resulted in her death and me getting a crappier rank at the end of the chapter.

At least RE 6 made them mostly invincible and had infinite ammo so you didn't have to babysit them all the time in single player.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

That's why you don't play with the AI partner, bud

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

ImpAtom posted:

Agreed. I just want to shoot the fun new enemies they designed. I do not want to pilot a harrier jet, motorcycle, snowmobile, jeep, etc.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Resident Evil 7 will be a wrestling simulator where the use of guns is frowned upon. Chris will fight without a shirt and flex after every kill, with the members of his team giving due adulation.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Resident Evil 7 will be a wrestling simulator where the use of guns is frowned upon. Chris will fight without a shirt and flex after every kill, with the members of his team giving due adulation.

So... Dead or Alive Redfield Edition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lunethex posted:

His team will be long dead because he was too busy flexing over a boulder.