Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

I really did not like the new inventory system in RE6. Item management in RE5 was perfectly fine; if you had a full inventory that usually meant you weren't dying enough to need more ammo and herbs. Even with both vests and three guns you had enough room for a Spray and three types of ammo.

After getting used to that, being forced to learn a completely new inventory (and removing the ability to pause the game) was very aggravating.

You can still pause the game, it just has to be in offline mode IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it was offline mode only.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ImpAtom posted:

Unless that was added in a patch recently, no. Unless playing solo isn't offline? But if not that's bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

catlord posted:

Unless that was added in a patch recently, no. Unless playing solo isn't offline? But if not that's bullshit.

Playing solo is not playing offline. Playing solo means you start solo but other people can join you (and IIRC, you can end up with other people in the crossover segments.) Offline mode is a specific thing which disables joining.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
RE6 is like they refined the gameplay, but jacked up the QTEs to insufferable levels. It was bad to the point where I bought the skill that helps you escape easier. I did this for Dragon's Dogma too because gently caress ruining my stick just because Capcom wants me rotate it. Yeah I know about rotating both sticks, but at this point, I think they are pointless QTEs.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah but they added an option patch that auto completes most QTEs for you which I turned on immediately.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah but they added an option patch that auto completes most QTEs for you which I turned on immediately.

lmao they had to patch in an option for the game to play itself

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Excels posted:

You know what was a pretty okay game?

That Turok reboot they released a few years back.

That game was killed for me because they used "generic stock monster" sound effect for the T-loving-Rex. If the T-Rex sounded more like in Jurassic Park I would reconsider my stance on this game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Excels posted:

lmao they had to patch in an option for the game to play itself

Well when the player base is too dumb to figure out how to do some of the QTE's there aren't many other options.

Seriously guys the climbing QTE was not that hard.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Backhand posted:

It's true that 6 has just about no horror element, but I really enjoyed it anyway - it was like 5, but with more refined gameplay and substantially less annoying bullshit (one-hit kills, rampant QTEs, etc.) When Capcom added the ability to disable quicktime events for the PC version, it was like mana from heaven for me. It convinced me that maybe, just maybe, Capcom could listen to its fans from time to time. Fighting and exploring are fun, Simon Says reaction speed tests, not so much.

I also really liked Leon's campaign, or at least the first couple chapters of it. It still wasn't horror, but it was fun.

I would really like to play this version of RE6 that has less QTEs and instant death bullshit for running into the wrong section of the level.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Len posted:

Well when the player base is too dumb to figure out how to do some of the QTE's there aren't many other options.

Modern Warfare 2 and Tomb Raider both have like the exact same climbimg QTE and no one cared. It's true that goons constantly wildly fluctuate between "handholding tutorials are destroying the industry" levels of confidence and "How do you make Mega Man crouch" levels of confusion with no in between.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
I depends on the presentation, I guess. I hate RE6's QTEs and QTEs in general, but loved RE4's Krauser knife fight QTE sequence and MGR:R's boss QTEs.

QTE QTE QTE

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Len posted:

The problem isn't the QTEs themselves, it's moreso that the music and pace make you think you need to hurry, but the prompts can't be pressed too quickly or you just fall back down the rope. Over, and over, and over.

It's also unclear about what it wants you to do. THe icons on screen are rapidly pressing L1/R1 or whatever but you're supposed to be patient with your button presses.

Overall that entire sequence is stupid

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Damegane posted:

I depends on the presentation, I guess. I hate RE6's QTEs and QTEs in general, but loved RE4's Krauser knife fight QTE sequence and MGR:R's boss QTEs.

QTE QTE QTE

I still can't believe a game as awesome as Shenmue II exists and the only thing most people took away from the series was the term QTE.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I still can't believe a game as awesome as Shenmue II exists and the only thing most people took away from the series was the term QTE.

Most people just remember climbing that rickety bullshit house, failing the thin board QTE, and reclimbing it over and over.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

HEY MISTER

LET'S PLAY SOCCER

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

TerryLennox posted:

I would really like to play this version of RE6 that has less QTEs and instant death bullshit for running into the wrong section of the level.

If you're not being sarcastic, then yeah, the PC version with the 'disable QTEs' option went a long way towards making the game less annoying. poo poo like Hoobastank killing you instantly in the ice caves if you so much as looked at him sideways while being unexplainedly beatable in a fist fight later on, yeah, that's still retarded as hell.

If you are being sarcastic... then by way of comparison, crocodile raft. I rest my case.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Crocodile raft set the men apart from the boys.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Excels posted:

The problem isn't the QTEs themselves, it's moreso that the music and pace make you think you need to hurry, but the prompts can't be pressed too quickly or you just fall back down the rope. Over, and over, and over.

It's also unclear about what it wants you to do. THe icons on screen are rapidly pressing L1/R1 or whatever but you're supposed to be patient with your button presses.

Overall that entire sequence is stupid

Yet if the prompt was simpler the people in this thread would be going "it was too handholdy and that's bullshit. I'm smarter than this."

The QTE was fine goons are just bad.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I've never heard of someone complaining that a QTE was too easy. Typically it's either "goes by too quickly" or "big punishment for failing"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The QTEs were not fun, which is what a game should be.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Backhand posted:

If you're not being sarcastic, then yeah, the PC version with the 'disable QTEs' option went a long way towards making the game less annoying. poo poo like Hoobastank killing you instantly in the ice caves if you so much as looked at him sideways while being unexplainedly beatable in a fist fight later on, yeah, that's still retarded as hell.

If you are being sarcastic... then by way of comparison, crocodile raft. I rest my case.
Yeah, but that fist fight owned and was the closest we'll get to seeing Resident Evil: Punch-Out!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Whenever the fight is mentioned, everybody should see Jake doing this.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Lunethex posted:

Whenever the fight is mentioned, everybody should see Jake doing this.

How the hell DO you do that, anyway? I've never seen anything like it any time I've played through that fight as either Jake or Sherry.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Son Ryo posted:

How the hell DO you do that, anyway? I've never seen anything like it any time I've played through that fight as either Jake or Sherry.

When he's charging at you, you have to counter that poo poo at the very last second.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It cannot be denied that RE6's counter system is unhinged levels of deep.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
My favorite part about the counter system is that most of the time I'm accidentally countering another attack while I'm trying to kick a zombie in the shins or something. Any game where I can look like a badass while mindlessly mashing mouse1 is fine by me!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I have been playing through Resident Evil 5 Gold, and when they first released the DLC, they packed in quite a bit of content for only $5. Lost in Nightmares returns to that old school horror feel and is pretty robust for a DLC title. But at first I disliked Desperate Escape, but after playing it again, it is pretty much pure action from beginning to end. Its like if you packed the RE4 village and the opening level of RE5 into one level.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I'm hoping that RE5 PC will receive a GFWL-removing patch along with the DLC being put on Steam, someday. :smith:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

blackguy32 posted:

I have been playing through Resident Evil 5 Gold, and when they first released the DLC, they packed in quite a bit of content for only $5. Lost in Nightmares returns to that old school horror feel and is pretty robust for a DLC title. But at first I disliked Desperate Escape, but after playing it again, it is pretty much pure action from beginning to end. Its like if you packed the RE4 village and the opening level of RE5 into one level.

Did you get Gold for the PS3? If so, is the DLC on disc or download? I want to know if I'll be able to buy it used and not have to worry (and I like to take it over to a buddy's house occasionally).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

On PS3 it's on a disk, on 360 it's the vanilla game w/ download codes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

1redflag posted:

Did you get Gold for the PS3? If so, is the DLC on disc or download? I want to know if I'll be able to buy it used and not have to worry (and I like to take it over to a buddy's house occasionally).

Yeah it is on the disc, which is one of the reasons that I got it for the PS3.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Geight posted:

I'm hoping that RE5 PC will receive a GFWL-removing patch along with the DLC being put on Steam, someday. :smith:

It can be modded on to PC but I don't know how. The RE modding board goers found out a way to do it but they were whinging about Capcom coming down and planting a C&D on them.

Which never happened because they went through with it and put all the Gold Edition DLC on PC, otherwise we wouldn't have Wesker doing Excella's moves & taunt.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Why is Capcom such a poo poo company these days? They used to make so many good games! What the gently caress happened?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Konami and Capcom need to be sent to some sort of videogame AA meeting.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

abagofcheetos posted:

Konami and Capcom need to be sent to some sort of videogame AA meeting.

"Hi, my name is Konami, and I have an addiction to developing rhythm games. I just can't stop. Even talking about it makes me want to release another Beatmania game!"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Excels posted:

Why is Capcom such a poo poo company these days? They used to make so many good games! What the gently caress happened?

In the case of Capcom, Call of Duty happened, when MW2 came out and just made a billion in sales overnight, Capcom got ideas, problem is they never looked at why people liked CoD, they just went with ideas of what they thought people liked about CoD. Also a lot of their best talent leaving.

Konami, I don't even know, they are the Metal Gear studio now.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Lunethex posted:

It can be modded on to PC but I don't know how. The RE modding board goers found out a way to do it but they were whinging about Capcom coming down and planting a C&D on them.

Which never happened because they went through with it and put all the Gold Edition DLC on PC, otherwise we wouldn't have Wesker doing Excella's moves & taunt.

Did they actually manage to get the DLC campaigns playable?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Excels posted:

Alteisen posted:

In the case of Capcom, Call of Duty happened, when MW2 came out and just made a billion in sales overnight, Capcom got ideas, problem is they never looked at why people liked CoD, they just went with ideas of what they thought people liked about CoD. Also a lot of their best talent leaving.

Yeah, no. You're in the ballpark, but that's not quite right.

In 2005, most of Capcom's go-to talent went to Clover Studio and made some very well-received quirky games that sold like absolute poo poo, including God Hand and Okami. Capcom promptly closed the studio, since it was a money pit, and most of those people departed from Capcom shortly thereafter to make Bayonetta, Vanquish, Shadows of the Damned, etc. Keiji Inafune only lasted a few years after that.

That didn't do them that much damage, since they still had a fair few of their behind-the-scenes workhorses like Yoshinori Ono, and 2005 to 2011 still sees some pretty solid successes for Capcom: MVC3, SF4, the first two Dead Rising games, etc. There's a distinct weirdness to all their post-2005 franchise entries, but that's to be expected.

Then the Fukushima quake hits. The power problems after the Fukushima meltdown blew a big hole in the company's schedule (for example, the new characters in UMVC3 were supposed to be DLC, not purchase points for an expansion pack) and they've had people going into damage-control mode ever since. RE6 was supposed to be their big hail-Mary pass that put them back in black, which is why you get Chris's campaign and that oft-quoted line about wanting to swipe some dollars from Call of Duty, and it wasn't. It wasn't a failure, but like Square Enix did with Tomb Raider, Capcom's definition of what a success would be was pretty high and RE6 didn't step up to the plate. They also lost their shirts on Remember Me.

Add that to the general feeling of mounting desperation you get out of all of the Japanese developers these days (the switch to PC architecture that they weren't comfortable with, console development becoming more and more expensive, the rise of indie development, the shrinking pool of young hires due to Japan's demographic crisis, you name it) and Capcom is actually doing better than most of them.

tl;dr: Capcom isn't doing that badly overall but they had a huge talent drain in 2005 and got hosed up by an earthquake in 2011. The problem is that some of the steps they've taken to try to minimize the damage have been PR nightmares, like Dead Rising 3 being an Xbone exclusive, but if you actually look at the math their biggest problem is that they aren't as profitable as they'd like to be.

If I had to guess, I would say the worst thing that happens to Capcom is that they follow everyone else in Japan's lead and merge with somebody else. I would guess it'd be Sega, as the two companies have seemed tight historically, but Sega doesn't need the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Geight posted:

Did they actually manage to get the DLC campaigns playable?

I was about to post something about a really old video.

Then I found this. Answer is yes :)