Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Anonymous Robot posted:

What's the need-to-know to enjoy RE6?

Read the manual, if you like. Otherwise, go nuts and enjoy yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Anonymous Robot posted:

It has systems that may mislead you, but despite those, it is not a cover shooter and should not be played like one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I liked Obscure 2 because it was vaguely like Maniac Mansion where you'd go around with different characters who each had a certain thing they could do.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Play with a buddy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The original RE4 PC port was a sterling example of a lazy port. For example, while it would acknowledge your choice of gamepad, when it came to the QTEs, instead of even the name of the button it wanted you to press, it would display a grey icon with the number that the game internally assigned to the function that corresponds to the button in question. So if the game thought the use button was button 4, it would flash 4 at you. Example:

So basically your choices were memorize what all the numbered buttons were to the point where you could press them immediately without having to actually remember which button was which, or melt the disc in the microwave out of spite.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pope Guilty posted:

The original RE4 PC port was a sterling example of a lazy port. For example, while it would acknowledge your choice of gamepad, when it came to the QTEs, instead of even the name of the button it wanted you to press, it would display a grey icon with the number that the game internally assigned to the function that corresponds to the button in question. So if the game thought the use button was button 4, it would flash 4 at you. Example:

So basically your choices were memorize what all the numbered buttons were to the point where you could press them immediately without having to actually remember which button was which, or melt the disc in the microwave out of spite.

Didn't it come out back when buying a random usb controller was the norm? Makes sense to have it somewhat mesh with the controller if that was the case. If that came out after the 360 controller became the norm then it doesn't make sense at all.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That is actually super common since most PC gamepads before the 360 controller became standard were actually labeled with numbers.
Most people were playing with this controller, so the number standard stuck, and you can still get it in many games with a setting.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Elliotw2 posted:

That is actually super common since most PC gamepads before the 360 controller became standard were actually labeled with numbers.
Most people were playing with this controller, so the number standard stuck, and you can still get it in many games with a setting.

I've never seen one of these before, and suddenly RE4's PC port makes so much more sense.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

Play as Piers.

Stamina regenerates really fast if you lie on the floor.

Inventory spaces are limited, so if you're wondering why you can't pick something up thats why. This can get pretty annoying at times so make sure all your weapons are fully loaded, herbs are mixed and put in the tablet case etc. and keep in mind it's better to fire off 3 rounds of pistol ammo to free up a space to pick up some ammo for a better weapon.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Len posted:

I bought it at launch and just enjoyed it. Everyone here will be all "treat it like a brawler" yadda yadda but really play how you have fun playing.

True, you should play it however you like, but trying to play it in the same way as RE4 and 5 will be frustrating, and despite the cover and roll mechanics, it's frustrating playing it as a first-person shooter as well. My first time playing I started with Chris' campaign, which felt like it was trying to be Call of Duty, and so I tried initially playing it like that. And absolutely hated it. I played with the Mercenaries mode a little, and then realised that it really wants you to use the melee moves as much as possible. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that the game essentially wants to be Streets of Rage with guns.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think the most important change from RE4/RE5 that caused the initial shock (not that 6 is particularly great anyway) is that the rules for where/how many times you have to shoot a zombie to stagger them have changed while they were basically the same in 4/5.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Recently picked up Resident Evil 6 and have been slowly puttering away at it. Knew going in that it was widely regarded as a less-than-stellar game but eh whatever I just want to see where this stupid plot goes. Started making my way through Leon's campaign with my friend occasionally dropping in. Not sure how I feel about the transformer zombies-- one on hand it's kind of neat but for the most part almost every enemy in Leon's campaign is just a visual mess. Also I'm going to sound like a huge hypocrite because I think Albert Wesker is the greatest thing to happen to the franchise but I got REALLY EXHAUSTED fighting the same guy over and over and over, even though he did keep turning into different things. Overall the gameplay was serviceable and the plot was dumb enough to keep me going.

My friend who's been joining me had already played through Leon's campaign and just recently finished Chris's and wasn't eager to hop back into it immediately because he said it was pretty bad. So I started Jake's next and holy poo poo is this campaign hot stupid garbage for idiot fuckers. Right off the bat almost every not-zombie has guns and they use them with extreme prejudice. Then you meet up with Chris and meander about for an hour while some guy plants bombs? I don't know, I genuinely had no idea what I was doing. My friend pretty much did the whole thing because thankfully he had recently done it in Chris's campaign (can't wait until I get to do that again). Somehow I've ended up with more health tablets than I know what to do with. Seriously I have like 17 in my case and another 12 in my inventory. Then you get to wander around in the visually blinding mountains and oh god the snowmobile section phew but at least that's over OH NO A STEALTH SECTION?? We called it quits for the night after we eventually brute forced our way through that but it's really bad. Not to mention, much like Leon's bad guy, I'm only two chapters in and already seriously tired of Ustanak. The literal only redeeming part of the stealth section is how it's introduced-- some random nobody just wandering around a cave in the mountains in the middle of nowhere in casual attire gets viscerally mauled by the Big Bad of the Day. Who was that? What was he doing there? How did he get past all the bees??

I seriously hope Jake's campaign picks up but I can already tell I'm going to be fending off Ustanak every chapter and it is probably Jake's final boss.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
RE6 is 100x better solo.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PureRok posted:

RE6 is 100x better solo.
What's it like to be objectively wrong?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

PureRok posted:

RE6 is 100x better in a garbage can.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

PureRok posted:

RE6 is 100x better solo.

I can't imagine being able to tolerate RE6 solo for longer than half an hour, god drat.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I can't imagine being able to tolerate RE6 solo for longer than half an hour, god drat.

Having a god who can't shoot worth a drat for a partner is pretty fun.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

I cleared the whole game solo. Being able to headshot->context melee consistently helped a lot. As did the stamina skills. It really is just playing like it's mercenaries mode, except you even have fire support this time.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

PureRok posted:

RE6 is 100x better solo.

I beat RE6 entirely solo, and I can safely say that you are wrong. But I can also say that RE6 wasn't meant to be played cooperatively at times either.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Pretty sure my opinion on how the game is funnest can't be wrong; I've played both solo and coop, RE5 and RE6, and I enjoyed both experiences solo more than coop. But then, I also enjoy playing MMOs and pretty much every game with coop solo as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I played RE6 co-op and solo and definitely had more fun solo. Co-op I had to share ammo with my buddy and gently caress that. My bullets.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

...you don't share ammo though? I've always got ammo to pick up and I'm loving swimming in it half the time.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Are you guys talking like, online random partner coop, or actual person in the same room as you coop? The former I can see maybe being less fun than solo, but the latter? Really?

Regardless, they better announce a new game at one of the upcoming shows :argh:

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Anonymous Robot posted:

How is the RE4 HD PC port? The screenshots make the lighting engine look terrible.

It looks as good as you can expect...but I'm going to have to not recommend you get it.

I've played through all the way to the minecart sequence, and the QTE at the end where you have to mash on "X" repeatedly to climb up or you fall is impossible as far as I can tell. It was cake on GC and PS2, but here it seems you literally can't press X fast enough. I've run a script to mash X repeatedly, thinking maybe the difficultly was increased somehow and I can't do it quickly anymore, but no. Nothing works there.

So either I've got a serious glitch, or there's a massive bug. Either way, after about 16 times re-playing that sequence, I'm done.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

abagofcheetos posted:

Are you guys talking like, online random partner coop, or actual person in the same room as you coop? The former I can see maybe being less fun than solo, but the latter? Really?

Regardless, they better announce a new game at one of the upcoming shows :argh:

I don't know about these guys, but I'm talking about couch coop, duh. I guess I can see how solo might be preferable to playing with randoms, actually.

edit:

ComposerGuy posted:

It looks as good as you can expect...but I'm going to have to not recommend you get it.

I've played through all the way to the minecart sequence, and the QTE at the end where you have to mash on "X" repeatedly to climb up or you fall is impossible as far as I can tell. It was cake on GC and PS2, but here it seems you literally can't press X fast enough. I've run a script to mash X repeatedly, thinking maybe the difficultly was increased somehow and I can't do it quickly anymore, but no. Nothing works there.

So either I've got a serious glitch, or there's a massive bug. Either way, after about 16 times re-playing that sequence, I'm done.

Have you considered you may be pressing X.. too fast?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

I don't know about these guys, but I'm talking about couch coop, duh. I guess I can see how solo might be preferable to playing with randoms, actually.

edit:

Have you considered you may be pressing X.. too fast?

I've tried everything I can think of. Fast, slow, you name it. No dice.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Need to know on RE6: only touch with the longest stick available to you and only then if you're a long term hardcore fan that needs to know where the plot is going. And even then...

Just gonna throw this in here too as I'm sure its been mentioned but an outfit called Invader Games out of Italy is doing a proper RE2 remake. Click the content button there to see some videos. Open alpha was supposed to be out by now but there was a snag, hopefully wont be too much longer. Hollywood churning out 2000 remakes a second, but in the video game world where original content is arguably even worse and we are in more dire need of quality remakes, they are few and far between.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

ComposerGuy posted:

I've tried everything I can think of. Fast, slow, you name it. No dice.

Oh, I just spent a minute googling this. Apparently that particular QTE can sometimes have issues if the framerate is locked to 60 FPS? Maybe try locking your FPS to 30 instead and see if that helps? It seems like maybe doubling the framerate doubles the amount of buttonpresses required, because Capcom.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kaubocks posted:

...you don't share ammo though? I've always got ammo to pick up and I'm loving swimming in it half the time.

Couch co-op only had us picking up one item drop each. So if I ended up going and grabbing all the ammo he got nothing. Maybe they fixed that in a patch?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Huh. Might be a couch co-op thing. My friend and I are playing online. I will agree there are some sections like Jake's stealth section that is absolutely miserable with two people but I much rather have a buddy along with me to yell "GOOD JOB!" at while throwing a thumbs up.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I don't know if it rebroke, but a few of Jake's chapters were broken in online coop for a long time. Mainly the one at the end of the first China mission would be broken until each player beat it seperately (or skipped since the PC version starts with all chapters unlocked.)

For ammo, at least online all the item drops are client side, so feel free to slide through everything with no care for your partner.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
This talk of the stealth section reminded me of something. I joined a random game of Jake Chapter 3 as Sherry a while back and I was in the locker room, so she got through everything with Jake's help before I joined. The other person as Jake was still in the control room. Before I joined I noticed the session had been going on for 15 minutes.

He never figured out how to get to the locker room, and he eventually quit while I was writing a message to look at the keypad from the camera.

Kaubocks posted:

Recently picked up Resident Evil 6 and have been slowly puttering away at it. Knew going in that it was widely regarded as a less-than-stellar game but eh whatever I just want to see where this stupid plot goes. Started making my way through Leon's campaign with my friend occasionally dropping in. Not sure how I feel about the transformer zombies-- one on hand it's kind of neat but for the most part almost every enemy in Leon's campaign is just a visual mess. Also I'm going to sound like a huge hypocrite because I think Albert Wesker is the greatest thing to happen to the franchise but I got REALLY EXHAUSTED fighting the same guy over and over and over, even though he did keep turning into different things. Overall the gameplay was serviceable and the plot was dumb enough to keep me going.

My friend who's been joining me had already played through Leon's campaign and just recently finished Chris's and wasn't eager to hop back into it immediately because he said it was pretty bad. So I started Jake's next and holy poo poo is this campaign hot stupid garbage for idiot fuckers. Right off the bat almost every not-zombie has guns and they use them with extreme prejudice. Then you meet up with Chris and meander about for an hour while some guy plants bombs? I don't know, I genuinely had no idea what I was doing. My friend pretty much did the whole thing because thankfully he had recently done it in Chris's campaign (can't wait until I get to do that again). Somehow I've ended up with more health tablets than I know what to do with. Seriously I have like 17 in my case and another 12 in my inventory. Then you get to wander around in the visually blinding mountains and oh god the snowmobile section phew but at least that's over OH NO A STEALTH SECTION?? We called it quits for the night after we eventually brute forced our way through that but it's really bad. Not to mention, much like Leon's bad guy, I'm only two chapters in and already seriously tired of Ustanak. The literal only redeeming part of the stealth section is how it's introduced-- some random nobody just wandering around a cave in the mountains in the middle of nowhere in casual attire gets viscerally mauled by the Big Bad of the Day. Who was that? What was he doing there? How did he get past all the bees??

I seriously hope Jake's campaign picks up but I can already tell I'm going to be fending off Ustanak every chapter and it is probably Jake's final boss.

It's hard to give any encouragement/advice without seeing or knowing how you play. I mean, if you have 17 herbs and are overflowing with them I can imagine you're not doing so badly but if this game's really chafing you I'd imagine it'd be with the out of nowhere QTEs or stuff like the sliding bit in the ice tunnel as Jake & Sherry, not with the basic enemies and chapter layout. The one universally bad moment as Chris is when you have to run from Haos on the platforms and slowing down even slightly sets you back to the start.

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't know if it rebroke, but a few of Jake's chapters were broken in online coop for a long time. Mainly the one at the end of the first China mission would be broken until each player beat it seperately (or skipped since the PC version starts with all chapters unlocked.)

How so? I have never heard nor experienced chapters being broken. At first I thought the snowmobile section as Jake was affected by co-op, but it really isn't changed by latency. It's just naturally buggy and unpredictable.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Lunethex posted:

How so? I have never heard nor experienced chapters being broken. At first I thought the snowmobile section as Jake was affected by co-op, but it really isn't changed by latency. It's just naturally buggy and unpredictable.

There were a couple bugs on the PC version for a couple weeks in Jake and Sherry's campaign, one being fleeing from the tank when it's chasing you through the hallway can crush you before you can actually press any keys, and later on a door in the streets of China simply wouldn't open if you were playing in co-op. Both of these issues have since been fixed.

Also I gotta say I actually really like Jake's campaign because it tries so many different things. :ohdear: The stealth section is a fun little baby's first MGS, and the asymmetric co-op section at the beginning of China is actually pretty neat.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Don't play RE6 campaigns because boy they are terrible.

Play No Mercy Mercenaries because that's the real game worth buyin'~

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I unlocked "One Dangerous Zombie" in REmake, and fuuuck.

I didn't realize that he could show up as one of the zombies that open up closed doors. Lost a good half hour of gameplay to that bastard...

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Geight posted:

There were a couple bugs on the PC version for a couple weeks in Jake and Sherry's campaign, one being fleeing from the tank when it's chasing you through the hallway can crush you before you can actually press any keys, and later on a door in the streets of China simply wouldn't open if you were playing in co-op. Both of these issues have since been fixed.

Also I gotta say I actually really like Jake's campaign because it tries so many different things. :ohdear: The stealth section is a fun little baby's first MGS, and the asymmetric co-op section at the beginning of China is actually pretty neat.

:D

I'm still not convinced it was broken but I actually saw this happen to someone playing as Jake before, I thought he just lagged and ran towards the tank by accident from my perspective. Either way it's funny.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Lunethex posted:

:D

I'm still not convinced it was broken but I actually saw this happen to someone playing as Jake before, I thought he just lagged and ran towards the tank by accident from my perspective. Either way it's funny.

It was fixed in the very first patch for the PC, "- Fixed issues with playable character dying after cutscenes". Unfortunately it took a couple more weeks for the door in Jake 4-4 to be fixed.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Take back everything I said about Jake's campaign because I just did chapter 3 and it owned bones.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

Take back everything I said about Jake's campaign because I just did chapter 3 and it owned bones.

People like to complain about the driving sequences in RE6, but that motorcycle chase is fantastic :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Chapter ends right as you get on the motorcycle. Haven't continued on yet because my co-op buddy lost internet about 3/4s into the chapter.